coronavirus

Most of the blame should be paid for by the CCP as it is the origin.
Who knows how the USA would have handled it if it had started here.  But the virus didn't start here.  It started in WUHAN.

I'm not sure if Hillary would have done better with this virus than Trump.  We already lost 36,000 americans and trillions of dollars.  Perhaps the damage would have been the same with Hillary, but I would not have to suffer through trumps stupid ass daily virus briefings.  He is really bad at comforting the nation.

Hard, actually impossible, to prove a negative.  We will never know but its hard to believe China when this stuff keeps happening.

Wuhan officials have revised the city's coronavirus death toll up by 50%

(CNN)China has revised its official death toll from the novel coronavirus, raising the number of fatalities attributed to the pandemic by more than a third.

Officials in Wuhan, where the virus was first reported late last year, on Friday added 1,290 coronavirus deaths to the city's toll. They also added 325 confirmed cases to the city tally.
The total number of cases recorded in the city now stands at 50,333, with 3,869 deaths. The previous reported death toll for Wuhan was 2,579 -- so the revised figure marks a 50% increase in the number of deaths in the city from coronavirus.
As of April 17, China's National Health Commission had reported 3,342 deaths nationally, before the revised Wuhan figures were published.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/17/asia/china-wuhan-coronavirus-death-toll-intl-hnk/index.html

eyephone said:
How and where did the SARS-COV outbreak start?
Cases started in Southern China by civet cats. The tests revealed on each civets cage that were tested the SARS coronavirus.
From what I read, China banned wild animal trade and selling and markets. But later relaxed the policy.

FYI: SARS is similar to Covid-19.

Hey, this is actually really helpful. You have a good point too. You are comparing to a similar outbreak and explaining about their policy controls. Your opinion sounds very civil and convincing here. Please keep doing this instead of calling people fake or some mean names. Thanks!

Now to counter your point, do you really think the wild animal ban stopped people from eating those there? It could have been a little less, but then who knows if the ban was really legit at this point?

Anyways, I will admit Covid-19 has become a lot bigger issue than what I first thought. It certainly exceeded H1N1 death rates and much bigger impact on human lives all over the world.

The CCP will pay the bill, right after the Saudi's write a big check to the plaintiffs involved in those 9-11 lawsuits.

Anyone saying the CCP should be sued or take away diplomatic benefits or their treasury holdings should really cut back on their crazy glue huffing. Continuing down this pathway is not going to help things feel better, friend.

I am glad that the President didn't Federalize the re-opening of the nation in a "one size fits all" set of guidelines. This is certainly a States issue not something DC should have absolute power over. It's fairly comical to hear some Governors say "THIS IS A TERRIBLE TIME TO RE-OPEN!!!!" Well, it is up to you, right? Not the Feds? Get things in gear Governor's and open only when it's right.

The Daily Briefings should be viewed through the same lens you'd use if watching sausage being made. It's ugly, and people don't like to see how it's done, but there it is.

I know many here were upset when The Cheeto Hitler said New York was overstating their need for ventilators, and certainly many on the far, far, Left were saying "he has blood on his hands..." Some even said the "cause of death for Coronavirus victims should read "Donald Trump".  Yet as it turns out NY didn't need 30k ventilators, but a far lower number. Anyone in Vermont, or Alabama, or Oregon could have been denied a ventilator had The Golden Golum sent everything to New York at one time. Considering how over-reactionary 45 is thought to be, so far there hasn't been the kind of angry flopping about that was expected.

Anyone living here in 2001 and 2008 during those national crises might want to compare the first 120 days of those problems to how things have been handled during the first 120 days of this present crisis. Government as a whole has moved mountains here relative to 2001 and 2008. Yes, these are different types of crisis, but the velocity of change in the past 120 days has been striking compared to 2001 and 2008.

Finally, President Roosevelt held his fireside chats to comfort the nation during both the depression and the war. Churchill did the exact same thing. Meanwhile, we were losing the war and casualty counts were in the thousands per day. I've read that more US Soldiers died during the D-Day practice runs than they did in the actual invasion! Imagine what 2020 "journalists" would do with that information while Roosevelt broadcasts about better times ahead.

Do readers really believe if the Short Fingered Vulgarian was able to project a "comforting" style of leadership, that the national press would lay down as they did in the 1940's and not try and provoke? Do readers believe that a network would lay aside their "Fact Checking the Presidents Lies" segment for the better good of a frightened nation? If so, forgive me for repeating myself. It's time to cut back on the crazy glue huffing. It's not going to help things better, friend. 

zubs said:
Most of the blame should be paid for by the CCP as it is the origin.
Who knows how the USA would have handled it if it had started here.  But the virus didn't start here.  It started in WUHAN.

I'm not sure if Hillary would have done better with this virus than Trump.  We already lost 36,000 americans and trillions of dollars.  Perhaps the damage would have been the same with Hillary, but I would not have to suffer through trumps stupid ass daily virus briefings.  He is really bad at comforting the nation.

I doubt Hillary would have doubled and tippled down on calling it the "Chinese Virus"

The H1N1 swine flu pandemic that infected up to 1.4 billion people and killed up to 575,000 originated in factory farmed pigs in the United States, according to CDC. Yet nobody ever calls it the ?American Pig Flu.?

Let?s stop calling the coronavirus the ?Chinese Virus.? As an Asian American, I wish people would stop fanning the flames of racism. We?re all in this together.

Ready2Downsize said:
woodburyowner said:
Ready2Downsize said:
so we wouldn't have mandatory distributions when we collect social security which would reduce our social security benefits. C'est la vie. Best laid plans....

I've never heard of this.  I thought it was earned income that would reduce SS benefits.  IRA RMDs should be exempt.  It would boost your income so more of your SS income would be taxed.

IRA/401K distributions are income. You didn't pay income tax on it when you contributed to the IRA so you have to pay when you withdraw it. We had mandatory distributions from my hubby's dad's ira. Been taking money out of it since he died in 2003. If you are subject to mandatory distributions (due to the age of the decedent at his death) and you do not take them, you owe a huge penalty. I think the stimulus package may have made it so you don't have to take RMD's for a while but oh well...?? we withdrew all the inherited money by end of last year. We still have our 401ks/IRAs/403b and sep iras but we won't be subject to mandatory distributions for a few years. If we only had our retirement accounts, we wouldn't be required to take some of the money out.

That income gets counted along with any other income you happen to have when you collect social security. If you have enough (which is not a lot for this area), the government is happy to give you less social security, nice folks that they are and all.

So then if your household AGI is under $150k in 2019 since you didn't take any IRA distributions, you would get the $2,400 stimulus.

The American policy shift in national security threat is to be questioned under Trump. If it does not happen in America it seems like he does not care.
But we should care because look what happened here. The virus spread like a fire.

The US should of been on the ground in Wuhan as soon as this outbreak started with scientists and experts. But Trump said that China is handling it perfectly. Looking back it was not handled perfectly.

Same thing with Syria, North Korea, etc.

Along SGIP's line of reasoning and acknowledging that you cannot prove a negative, this article brings up an interesting alternative universe that really isn't all that unbelievable...

Suppose Trump Had Acted Earlier Against the Wuhan Virus?

Their new narrative is that Trump could have and should have acted sooner and if he had, all would be normal in the world
Suppose President Trump had acted earlier, as the shrieking media cranks claim he should have. How might that have looked?

Dates are important in the construct of timelines and reactions. The first COVID test positive patient in the US was on January 20. The Senate impeachment trial began on January 16, four days before the first COVID case in the US. What if Trump, upon learning of this first case, and based on the CDC implementing public health entry screening at 3 US airports on January 17, instituted a national stay-at-home order for the entire country? This of course would have included all members of Congress, effectively ending the impeachment trial.

Anyone want to guess the chyrons on CNN? Words like ?despot,? ?tyrant,? and ?dictator? would have featured prominently.

If deaths were the trigger, Trump, after the first US death on February 29, could have then issued a stay-at-home order, cancelling or postponing Super Tuesday primaries on March 3. The media would have reacted and claimed that Trump was sabotaging or rigging the opposition party?s elections. Would he be colluding with the Chinese this time rather than the Russians? Schiff and Nadler would be giddy with delight at getting another bite at the impeachment apple over Trump subverting an election.
Suppose by executive order, in early February, after declaring the coronavirus a public health emergency on January 31, President Trump cancelled all professional sporting events, Mardi Gras, classroom education, from kindergarten through graduate school, and mandated social distancing as we are seeing today? Imagine the outcry. Trump would be a fascist totalitarian.

This would still be well in advance of Nancy Pelosi, at the end of February telling San Franciscans to ?visit Chinatown? insisting that it is ?very safe?.

Trump actually did act quickly and aggressively ahead of the viral pandemic. The Monday morning quarterbacks who poo pooed Trump?s early reactions, labeling them unnecessary, racist, and xenophobic were behind the times.

https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2020/04/suppose_trump_had_acted_earlier_against_the_wuhan_virus.html

eyephone said:
The American policy shift in national security threat is to be questioned under Trump. If it does not happen in America it seems like he does not care.
But we should care because look what happened here. The virus spread like a fire.

The US should of been on the ground in Wuhan as soon as this outbreak started with scientists and experts. But Trump said that China is handling it perfectly. Looking back it was not handled perfectly.

Same thing with Syria, North Korea, etc.

As I stated before. We need to take everything seriously such as North Korea. But Trump is best friends with Fat boy Kim. Even though Kim is threatening Japan and South Korea. What is next Hawaii?

H1N1 preexisted throughout the world's pig farms well before the most recent pandemic. The leap from animal to human was believed to be in Mexico during late 2008, starting the 2009 Pandemic.

I'm not seeing too many Egyptians getting hot and bothered about the term West Nile Virus. Should this stop? Asking on behalf of my Pharaoh.

My neighbors are from Barcelona and don't care about hearing over and over again about The Spanish Flu pandemic.

Those in the Saudi or Persian community rarely give a rats behind about Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS)

We have Lyme Disease, or the Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

German Measles? Marburg Virus? Was is Das? Est mir egal!

Please, let's not get started about The French Disease. This isn't the time or the place.

Yes, there are knuckleheads out there blaming any and all Asians for the Chinese Virus. Those people need to be shunned like Lepers. Yes, as well, it's unbecoming of a President to tweak the noses of people..... who's noses are easily tweaked. Frankly speaking sometimes you need to tweak the noses of people more concerned about political correctness than constructive action. If we followed the Biden / WHO line of thinking - belief that border shut downs and travel restrictions are hurtful to other communities - we'd be seeing many, many more sick and dead today.

This too shall pass. There are more important things to worry about than what this disease is called.

My .02c 

china will pay for the virus when their cheap goods and services can be produced by machines in middle america.  pandemics like this will only accelerate that reality as the world realizes they cannot be dependent upon china.

irvinehomeowner said:
So that's why we need a wall. :)

We needed a no fly zone since January. We needed to be on the ground in Wuhan with scientists and experts.
We need more PPE. We need tracking. We need mass testing.

This America first crap needs to stop. Sorry, for American best interest. We need to be all up the business for National security purposes.

Soylent Green Is People said:

The CDC disagrees.
https://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/information_h1n1_virus_qa.htm#a

I agree a lot with what you've said tho. I think it's rather trivial and even pointless in the grand scheme of things.

But I disagree with the narrative that Trump administration handled this perfectly.

The missed opportunity to test, trace, and contain was huge.

The Chinese Virus thing, while insignificant, is a stunt. He could have called out the Chinese government?s role in stifling early info and worsening the Covid crisis without branding it the Chinese Virus. President Trump did it because it's a politically calculated move. I just wish he'd chosen to be more presidential and call for unity. Instead, he used it as an opportunity to solidify his base for re-election.

I think there's going to be changes for sure. I'll start with what I personally am experiencing and seeing since the stay home order.

1) I'm not using my car for a month now and might as well not own/lease it anymore. We might be fine with just one car for awhile.

2) No more cars means no more gas and less production. CA has been one of the places where you must drive your own car, but that likely would change faster than we thought. It's not just CA. It's a global issue now.

3) Many companies including ours might just stay working from home. That means no more leasing offices. There's been numbers of new office campus sites opening all over even just this city and nearby alone. Those might not get leased well.

4) On the other hand, mobile business might get growth. Amazon Prime is not available for the same day delivery anymore. That means there's no more available delivery spot or the deliverer. I might be stretching too much, but delivery services less than hour might be the new thing from now on. Whoever comes up with it and operates properly would beat Amazon ;D.

5) We're home cooking almost all meals. We get take outs like once a week. Restaurant businesses will and already have changed quite a bit.

6) Online streaming will get more and more usage. Places like Youtube and any live streaming services will continue to get demand. Maybe incorporate this strategy in RE business? Yeah, take my idea. I won't copy-write you.

7) Everyone will be germaphobe. Yeah...

Mety said:
I think there's going to be changes for sure. I'll start with what I personally am experiencing and seeing since the stay home order.

1) I'm not using my car for a month now and might as well not own/lease it anymore. We might be fine with just one car for awhile.

2) No more cars means no more gas and less production. CA has been one of the places where you must drive your own car, but that likely would change faster than we thought. It's not just CA. It's a global issue now.

3) Many companies including ours might just stay working from home. That means no more leasing offices. There's been numbers of new office campus sites opening all over even just this city and nearby alone. Those might not get leased well.

4) On the other hand, mobile business might get growth. Amazon Prime is not available for the same day delivery anymore. That means there's no more available delivery spot or the deliverer. I might be stretching too much, but delivery services less than hour might be the new thing from now on. Whoever comes up with it and operates properly would beat Amazon ;D.

5) We're home cooking almost all meals. We get take outs like once a week. Restaurant businesses will and already have changed quite a bit.

6) Online streaming will get more and more usage. Places like Youtube and any live streaming services will continue to get demand. Maybe incorporate this strategy in RE business? Yeah, take my idea. I won't copy-write you.

7) Everyone will be germaphobe. Yeah...

We have one car because the older one had an issue and we decided we're not putting any more money in it. Hubby still works but in good weather he rides his bike to work. I go out to the post office most every day and maybe few other places, cvs, grocery store mostly, bible study once a week and church on sunday so you'd think we don't need two cars. We don't even have kids at home and we eat at home almost always. It was working out.... um not that well. When hubby had my car, I needed it. It was like...?. I can't wait all day for you to get my car back to me! Don't even ask me why we had issues but we did.

Then we tried to get our insurance reduced cuz we don't have that other car and they told us it would go UP since we only have one car now and "obviously" we would drive it more so we did what they said to do...??? forget taking that car off the insurance. Still thinking that's not a good idea but that's what it is till the car insurance comes up for renewal.

Our insurance tracks actual miles and prices accordingly.  We report mileage 1x a year for each vehicle.  Unfortunately, there's no difference for anything under 3000 miles, and 3 of our vehicles are well under that, but a minimum like that might actually help you out if your new miles per year # was still under it.

Back