coronavirus

Compressed-Village said:
morekaos said:
Compressed-Village said:
Where and which country reporting the least infection right now? Russia? India? What are the infecting rate there?

Here is a good real time website to follow the game.
[url]https://www.bing.com/covid[/url]

You guys are pretty smart, so figure this out ZERO (0) death in Russia and 109 active case. And covid ?suppose? to thrive in cold climate.

Or Russia is not reporting true numbers. :)

What boggles my mind is India... so crowded, in between China and Iran and much lower infection rate (and they have traveled extensively too).

How many of you are really interested in hearing Panda's opinion where this corona virus is headed in the U.S.?

eyephone said:
morekaos said:
7856 worldwide fatalities...85 Americans dead so far..those are the numbers to watch...by the way H1N1 had over 300,000 hospitalizations and a higher mortality rate.

It is a different type of disease. Do you compare this to diabities?
Do you compare a civic to a Ferrari?

Yes, this is catorgorizes as a pandemic by WHO and CDC...so were all these others, and even in comparison this one is Horton Hears a Who (If you are a visual learner). It is never "different this time".

How coronavirus compares to history's deadliest pandemics: Visual timeline pits COVID-19 against Black Death, smallpox and AIDS - as experts warn current crisis could rival Spanish flu 'in its lethality and scale'
Shows bubonic plague, also known as Black Death, killed 200million people and most lethal of all pandemics
1918 Spanish flu outbreak claimed lives of almost 50million people in just one year after racing around globe
By comparison, COVID-19 killed more than 7,000 people and infected 182,000 since outbreak in December
Scientists say the 'scale' and 'lethality' of the virus is on the scale of Spanish flu and warn of lack of vaccine
Coronavirus symptoms: what are they and should you see a doctor?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8120631/Visual-timeline-coronavirus-compares-historys-deadly-pandemics.html

Mety said:
So why is that Covid-19 is seen as a bigger impact than H1N1, which technically was more severe? I don't remember places being shut down and lockdown or etc. in 2009. How was stock doing then BTW?

Is Covid-19 really a bigger threat because it's a brand new virus? Or could it be that since almost everyone is exposed to the media and global news, people are taking things seriously more than before, in both good and bad ways?

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-h1n1-pandemic.html

The swine flu was highly infection but super mild.; Last year's was worse.

Swine flu: 60,000,000 infections, 274,000 hospitalizations, 12,000 deaths.

From Hospitalization, that?s a 0.4% hospitalization rate.  It was new so it infection 2x normal, it just didn?t put them in the hospital.

Covid-19 is new, the concern is it infects like the flu and we will have 60,000,000 infected over six months.  With limited testing so far the hospitalization rate is closer to 20%.  Or 12,000,000 hospitalizations.

Will it be lower, most likely.  But you can see, at 10x lower it is still 5x as bad as swine flu for hospitalizations .  3x as bad as average flu.  This is why failed testing is so important and why demographic statistics of those tested is important.

irvinehomeowner said:
Compressed-Village said:
morekaos said:
Compressed-Village said:
Where and which country reporting the least infection right now? Russia? India? What are the infecting rate there?

You guys are pretty smart, so figure this out ZERO (0) death in Russia and 109 active case. And covid ?suppose? to thrive in cold climate.

What boggles my mind is India... so crowded, in between China and Iran and much lower infection rate (and they have traveled extensively too).

Same with Mexico...I think they are under-reporting on purpose.

I think we can all agree that every country has under reported cases, whether it's on purpose or if it's because some people have either almost no symptoms or very mild ones who will never get tested. My guess is that there are probably 50x more people infected in the US than what is reported but the majority.

irvinehomeowner said:
morekaos said:
Mety said:
So why is that Covid-19 is seen as a bigger impact than H1N1, which technically was more severe? I don't remember places being shut down and lockdown or etc. in 2009. How was stock doing then BTW?

Is Covid-19 really a bigger threat because it's a brand new virus? Or could it be that since almost everyone is exposed to the media and global news, people are taking things seriously more than before, in both good and bad ways?

Markets went up 19% in 2009. Media was focused on Obamacare...barely noticed all the dead Americans in the streets.

I was looking at the time frame from late 2009 to early 2010 (the flu season), Dow looks like it stayed around 10kish.

Dow Jones Industrial Average - Historical Annual Data

Year Average Closing Price Annual % Change
2010 10,668.58               11.02%
2009  8,885.65                   18.82%

irvinehomeowner said:
Compressed-Village said:
morekaos said:
Compressed-Village said:

Russia has NO death because the immune system has been exposed to the covid 19. Now that?s something to think about.

OK. So even with given facts that Covid-19 could potentially carry higher risks, 12,000 deaths in U.S. alone from H1N1 is like crazy high fatality. I don't remember this was discussed at all. Imagine that kind of deaths were to occur now. Social media would have pandemic!

@eyephone, you say we can't compare Covid-19 with H1N1, but we have to in a way because we should compare to the last pandemic with the current one. One of your points is valid though since SARS and MERS are all part of a coronavirus family.

So since CV pointed out some big countries don't even have much of this virus going on, this is starting to look really weird to me.

@Panda, I'm interested to hear your opinion. Share please.

Mety said:
OK. So even with given facts that Covid-19 could potentially carry higher risks, 12,000 deaths in U.S. alone from H1N1 is like crazy high fatality. I don't remember this was discussed at all. Imagine that kind of deaths were to occur now. Social media would have pandemic!

@eyephone, you say we can't compare Covid-19 with H1N1, but we have to in a way because we should compare to the last pandemic with the current one. One of your points is valid though since SARS and MERS are all part of a coronavirus family.

So since CV pointed out some big countries don't even have much of this virus going on, this is starting to look really weird to me.

This is why the death rate is the hard data that is relevant.  So far infection rates are inaccurate, fungible or non reported...fatalities cannot be denied and are provable...so far this one does not rate against H1N1...that may change but here in the US and the totals for the world don't look too scary. I want to hear your take Panda.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

You see that there are 81,058 cases in China and 5702 in the U.S. and 8320 cases in South Korea. Would you be shocked if the U.S. intensely tested like ROK that U.S.'s cases will be double that of China making U.S. the #1 case in the world? Yes or No? Do you agree or disagree?

Close to 50 million are over the age of 65 in the U.S. which is a population of California, S. Korea, and Italy.

Mety said:

The numerical comparison is a joke. If we did a no fly zone, shutdown, dont come in or out. We would not be in this situation!

Panda said:
https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

You see that there are 81,058 cases in China and 5702 in the U.S. and 8320 cases in South Korea. Would you be shocked if the Real U.S.'s cases will be double that of China making U.S. the #1 case in the world? Yes or No? Do you agree or disagree?

Close to 50 million are over the age of 65 in the U.S. which is a population of California, S. Korea, and Italy.

As of now, I can't say I agree or disagree. I still have not come to a conclusion that this virus came from bats. I personally take time to think through and make a final decision. Which is I can't be good at stock. Which is why I'm not as smart or sexy as eyephone and IHO. But anyways, we're all free to share our opinions as long as we're not discriminating anyone. I do hope that we don't end up double amount infected rate of China though.

Mety, although the United States is the wealthiest and the most powerful country in the world, unfortunately we as Americans are not so wealthy when it comes to our physical and health vs ROK. ROK is among the physically wealthy as the average S. Korean woman lives 20 years more than the average American women. The average American male is 40 lbs heavier than the average S. Korean male make living in ROK. I am excluded from this stats. I believe this is one of the reasons why the death rate per percentage of the cases are so low compared to Italy where the population is similar. Unfortunately, the U.S. will follow a similar path to that of Italy and whatever the stats are Italy, I estimate that the stats for the U.S. will be 6X that of Italy. 

chart.png

Mety said:
Panda said:

You see that there are 81,058 cases in China and 5702 in the U.S. and 8320 cases in South Korea. Would you be shocked if the Real U.S.'s cases will be double that of China making U.S. the #1 case in the world? Yes or No? Do you agree or disagree?

As of now, I can't say I agree or disagree. I still have not come to a conclusion that this virus came from bats. I personally take time to think through and make a final decision. Which is I can't be good at stock. Which is why I'm not as smart or sexy as eyephone and IHO. But anyways, we're all free to share our opinions as long as we're not discriminating anyone. I do hope that we don't end up double amount infected rate of China though.

Panda said:

You see that there are 81,058 cases in China and 5702 in the U.S. and 8320 cases in South Korea. Would you be shocked if the U.S. intensely tested like ROK that U.S.'s cases will be double that of China making U.S. the #1 case in the world? Yes or No? Do you agree or disagree?

OK, stipulate it is 160,000 cases with a similar mortality...that's still about 6500 dead.  Not even halfway to H1N1 fatality number and probably would not include the 1800 US children that were struck down in 2009.... this version does seem to have an appetite for children, thank God. Now use the higher Italian mortality rate and the same 6x Italian  infection rate ( same 180k) you would get around 12,800 dead...lower end of the H1N1 range but less.  Would those numbers justify today's hysterical panic?

Morekaos,
If we are to forecast this thing here in the U.S. I think that we will follow a similar case vs death ratio to that of Italy vs ROK, but 6X of the number of Italy.

Mety said:
Panda said:

PANDEMIC, yet no death in RUSSIA? The way this virus spread, it is not spreading and kill in Russia, what happen there?

Mety said:
Panda said:

Let me guess you will blame the US Army for this like what China said. Get out of here!

Back