coronavirus

eyephone said:
Get ready for the bailout times 10. Which airline company will receive the most money?

Trump aka the bailout man. He did it with the farms and now others.
But how about the average person that can not get tissue paper? Lol

Get in line for the Trump Bucks. Lets go

morekaos said:
So, now we know who's who.  If the death rates exceed those of our last pandemic benchmark (Swine Flu) then we were unprepared (no panic in 2009 at that level)...if they fall below, then all this panic was for naught...That number is 17,000 American deaths according to the CDC.

Swine flu has killed up to 17,000 in U.S.: report

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - H1N1 swine flu has killed as many as 17,000 Americans, including 1,800 children, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported on Friday.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-flu-usa/swine-flu-has-killed-up-to-17000-in-u-s-report-idUSN1223579720100212

How long it took to kill 17K from the swine flu?

curious george said:
morekaos said:
So, now we know who's who.  If the death rates exceed those of our last pandemic benchmark (Swine Flu) then we were unprepared (no panic in 2009 at that level)...if they fall below, then all this panic was for naught...That number is 17,000 American deaths according to the CDC.

Swine flu has killed up to 17,000 in U.S.: report

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - H1N1 swine flu has killed as many as 17,000 Americans, including 1,800 children, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported on Friday.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-flu-usa/swine-flu-has-killed-up-to-17000-in-u-s-report-idUSN1223579720100212

How long it took to kill 17K from the swine flu?

?CDC estimates that between 41 million and 84 million cases of 2009 H1N1 occurred between April 2009 and January 16, 2010,?  the agency said in a statement. Usually the CDC goes with a middle number, which it puts at about 57 million people infected.

Between 8,330 and 17,160 people died during that time from H1N1, with a middle range of about 12,000, the CDC said. But between 880 and 1,800 children died, up to 13,000 adults under the age of 65 and only 1,000 to 2,000 elderly.

The Trump administration can hand out money. But a simple but complicated shutdown will help contain this virus.

Sat last night till midnight in one of our waterfront restaurants..know the owners and they are closing till April 1.  Sat and ate and drank anything we wanted for free till midnight cause he had to thow away all the fresh food and fish they had on hand...all the rest went into the trash cans.  Total waste...felt so sorry for the waitresses and bartenders, tipped them out heavily as they are out of work for who knows how long? 

So why is that Covid-19 is seen as a bigger impact than H1N1, which technically was more severe? I don't remember places being shut down and lockdown or etc. in 2009. How was stock doing then BTW?

Is Covid-19 really a bigger threat because it's a brand new virus? Or could it be that since almost everyone is exposed to the media and global news, people are taking things seriously more than before, in both good and bad ways?

Mety said:
So why is that Covid-19 is seen as a bigger impact than H1N1, which technically was more severe? I don't remember places being shut down and lockdown or etc. in 2009. How was stock doing then BTW?

Is Covid-19 really a bigger threat because it's a brand new virus? Or could it be that since almost everyone is exposed to the media and global news, people are taking things seriously more than before, in both good and bad ways?

Bat virus..

Mety said:

Been having the same discussions.

I think because one is flu-like which we have experience with treating and working through, it was more of a known "threat". With Covid, because carriers can be asymptomatic but still contagious makes it harder to prevent spread. Also, once it gets serious, in many cases hospitalization is required and to relieve the sympoms (difficulty breathing, etc) is much harder... whereas with H1N1, many people I know where able to recover at home.

Plus I don't recall H1N1 having a massive infection curve like Covid.

As for stocks, they already took a hit from the financial crisis late in 2008 so I think it just flattened out.

Mety said:

Markets went up 19% in 2009. Media was focused on Obamacare...barely noticed all the dead Americans in the streets.

irvinehomeowner said:
With Covid, because carriers can be asymptomatic but still contagious makes it harder to prevent spread.
This is the key.  COVID-19 has the potential to infect greater #s.  Deaths = (mortality rate) * (# infected).  This one has bad potential to have high values for both.

daedalus said:
irvinehomeowner said:
With Covid, because carriers can be asymptomatic but still contagious makes it harder to prevent spread.
This is the key.  COVID-19 has the potential to infect greater #s.  Deaths = (mortality rate) * (# infected).  This one has bad potential to have high values for both.

Yup they are comparing it to other flus. But they need to compare it to SARS or MERS. (scary sh7 yo)

7856 worldwide fatalities...85 Americans dead so far..those are the numbers to watch...by the way H1N1 had over 300,000 hospitalizations and a higher mortality rate.

morekaos said:
7856 worldwide fatalities...85 Americans dead so far..those are the numbers to watch...by the way H1N1 had over 300,000 hospitalizations and a higher mortality rate.

It is a different type of disease. Do you compare this to diabities?
Do you compare a civic to a Ferrari?

morekaos said:
Mety said:

Markets went up 19% in 2009. Media was focused on Obamacare...barely noticed all the dead Americans in the streets.

I was looking at the time frame from late 2009 to early 2010 (the flu season), Dow looks like it stayed around 10kish.

Back