Clippers News

Indiana's GM should take note. Trades for All Stars do not return anywhere near equivalent value. The Butler trade was lopsided, to say the least, and the CP3 deal is ridiculously lopsided. But this is how it works.

eyephone said:
I heard a rumor that the Celtics had the best package for George. (combination of draft pick and young talent)

But do they want to make the trade for 1 year rental?

Making sense now that it was the Pacers who leaked this to entice a better deal from the Lakers. Now hearing pg is received guys to LA in 2019 put the Pacers in a bottle hole.

Meanwhile problem with doc.
http://fb.me/8HmMUuaGn

This worked out better for the Clips than if CP3 just left as a free agent. I'm glad CP3 gave both LAC and HOU a chance to make a deal.

This is what the Lakers should have done with Dwight instead of getting nothing when he went to Houston.

Rumors are CP3 unhappy with Doc not pulling the trigger on a Melo trade last season that included his son Austin. I would have traded Austin for nothing... how can a guard not be able to make free throws?

This frees them up to concentrate on Blake but without CP3, Lob City is now Sob City.

Clips didn't strike when the pendulum was in their favor, swinging back to Ball time.

irvinehomeowner said:
This worked out better for the Clips than if CP3 just left as a free agent. I'm glad CP3 gave both LAC and HOU a chance to make a deal.

This is what the Lakers should have done with Dwight instead of getting nothing when he went to Houston.

Rumors are CP3 unhappy with Doc not pulling the trigger on a Melo trade last season that included his son Austin. I would have traded Austin for nothing... how can a guard not be able to make free throws?

This frees them up to concentrate on Blake but without CP3, Lob City is now Sob City.

Clips didn't strike when the pendulum was in their favor, swinging back to Ball time.

I'm not so sure the Clips are better for trading CP3 than just letting him walk. If Blake walks, they'll trade DeAndre as soon as possible. Then what's the purpose of the Rockets they received? The sole objective would be to lose games to obtain a top pick next year. These players affect their cap flexibility too, not that this is too important when you're not trying to compete.

Perspective said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I'm not so sure the Clips are better for trading CP3 than just letting him walk. If Blake walks, they'll trade DeAndre as soon as possible. Then what's the purpose of the Rockets they received? The sole objective would be to lose games to obtain a top pick next year. These players affect their cap flexibility too, not that this is too important when you're not trying to compete.

I disagree.  There's rumors swirling around everywhere about cp3's unhappiness about not including Austin in a deal for melo.  He also gave his son a 3 year/35 million contract etc.  also how Griffin wanted to be more of playmaker  instead of the screener/roller etc.  Regardless, I'm pretty sure Griffin is going to resign to be the man and clippers have been notified or else you are right it's better to start fresh.  Griffin + Deandre is probably a top 3 front court in the league and are going to win 40 wins so tanking is out of the question.  So might as trade for 3 starters in Beverly (defensive ace) dekker (potential 3 &D) and Lou will (6th man)

I might be in the minority but I think Clippers were big winners in this trade.  Chris paul is already 32.  After this season he's due for a 5 year $205 million+ max due to age and all nba awards.  I'm not so sure I want to offer a player like cp3 who has had numerous injury issues and can't get out of the 2nd round $205 million until he's 37 years old.  A player like Beverly is worth more IMO.  he's a fighter and he's the type of guard you need to defend all the all-star guards in the league. 

This is the best year to tank.  Porter Jr awaits!

Clips need to just start over.. this team is in the worst spot.  NBA mediocrity. 

eyephone said:
jmoney74 said:

Clips need to just start over.. this team is in the worst spot.  NBA mediocrity.

Trade DJ?

If you can.  What purpose does he have when you don't have a guy like CP3 on your team.  This isn't Lob city anymore. 

jmoney74 said:
eyephone said:
jmoney74 said:

Trade DJ?

If you can.  What purpose does he have when you don't have a guy like CP3 on your team.  This isn't Lob city anymore.

Would you resign Blake or sign and trade him?
(I would sign and trade him)

eyephone said:
jmoney74 said:
eyephone said:
jmoney74 said:

Trade DJ?

Would you resign Blake or sign and trade him?
(I would sign and trade him)

I'd do the same. Maybe you can get picks from the Celtics.

SoclosetoIrvine said:
Perspective said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I disagree.  There's rumors swirling around everywhere about cp3's unhappiness about not including Austin in a deal for melo.  He also gave his son a 3 year/35 million contract etc.  also how Griffin wanted to be more of playmaker  instead of the screener/roller etc.  Regardless, I'm pretty sure Griffin is going to resign to be the man and clippers have been notified or else you are right it's better to start fresh.  Griffin + Deandre is probably a top 3 front court in the league and are going to win 40 wins so tanking is out of the question.  So might as trade for 3 starters in Beverly (defensive ace) dekker (potential 3 &D) and Lou will (6th man)

I might be in the minority but I think Clippers were big winners in this trade.  Chris paul is already 32.  After this season he's due for a 5 year $205 million+ max due to age and all nba awards.  I'm not so sure I want to offer a player like cp3 who has had numerous injury issues and can't get out of the 2nd round $205 million until he's 37 years old.  A player like Beverly is worth more IMO.  he's a fighter and he's the type of guard you need to defend all the all-star guards in the league.

DeAndre Jordan's value will never be higher than it is right now. He has no offensive skills whatsoever. He solely accepts lobs from a HOF PG and dunks put-backs. He plays decent defense. They were wise to shop him pre-draft. They'd be wise to shop him even harder now that CP3 is gone. DeAndre's limited abilities will be exposed not playing next to CP3.

A DeAndre/Blake frontcourt is one of a bygone era. It works with a maestro like CP3, but will not without. Spacing will be horrible. Teams haven't had to guard DeAndre for years. They just tried to stay between him and the rim to protect for lobs. He will be an extreme liability now on offense.

Blake doesn't exactly help space the floor either, but he's been working on this. If he wants to be the man they build around, that's a reasonable game plan.

As constructed today, the Clips will be fighting for a spot to be eliminated in the first round by the Warriors next year. Another first round exit is par for the Clipper course, of course, which would've made keeping this team together with an older CP3 a silly plan.

Perspective said:

Not sure about your logic here. They got a draft pick and 3 decent players, Bev can be their starting PG, Dekker has potential and we know Lou can score. And they can waive who they don't want for cap space.

Getting nothing is worse than getting at the least a draft pick.

irvinehomeowner said:
Perspective said:

Not sure about your logic here. They got a draft pick and 3 decent players, Bev can be their starting PG, Dekker has potential and we know Lou can score. And they can waive who they don't want for cap space.

Getting nothing is worse than getting at the least a draft pick.

Agreed, obtaining the draft pick is better than nothing. The question is, is adding the draft pick worth it, if you have to take on these players and their salaries? Where does this team finish in the West even if Blake returns? Why not just begin the rebuild now? Why wait?

Maybe the goal is a competitive team, with Griffin as the All Star draw? That's fine, I guess.

I don't understand the hate on the clips and Doc. They made the playoffs something like 3 times in 35 seasons and now made them 5 seasons in a row. Once in the playoffs it feels like a star player has been hurt almost everyone season.

paperboyNC said:
I don't understand the hate on the clips and Doc. They made the playoffs something like 3 times in 35 seasons and now made them 5 seasons in a row. Once in the playoffs it feels like a star player has been hurt almost everyone season.

The hate comes from the two years they blew it. Up 3-1 to Houston and up 20+ and losing. Up late in game 5 at okc with series tied 2-2 and Paul makes two huge boneheaded plays to lose the game after being up 7 with 40 secs to go. This video highlights clippers under Paul. These are the two black marks on Paul and why I don't think he can ever lead a team to a championship.
https://youtu.be/BT55zpjT0v4

paperboyNC said:

"Hate"? Evaluating a team's performance and its players' values isn't "hating" on them. The Clips made the tough and right decision by not signing CP3 to a $200M+ deal into his late 30s. They made the right decision to shop DeAndre before the draft, and they likely didn't like what they heard - DeAndre's trade value isn't nearly as high as you'd think.

I'll reserve final judgment of the Clips' offseason when their roster and salary cap are set.

Back