Bull run in housing over???

aquabliss said:
Mety said:
aquabliss said:
It?s always the price.  The right priced home will sell in any market environment.

Yeah, but how long it will hold to that phase until the buyers ask for the price reduction on the right priced homes?

If it get's to the point where the buyers are asking for a price reduction then it actually wasn't priced right in the first place.

If this was true doesn?t that mean prices would never go down?

qwerty said:

Prices go down if inventory goes up. I used to sell my used college textbooks on half.com and I'd typically price my textbooks for 0.01 less than the cheapest listing in my quality category. If more books were listed before mine sold, prices went even lower. But if my book and the other cheapest books sold, prices went up.

qwerty said:
aquabliss said:
Mety said:
aquabliss said:
It?s always the price.  The right priced home will sell in any market environment.

Yeah, but how long it will hold to that phase until the buyers ask for the price reduction on the right priced homes?

If it get's to the point where the buyers are asking for a price reduction then it actually wasn't priced right in the first place.

Prices can still go down because other sellers who incorrectly priced their homes have to reduce the price to sell them.  The sales price may be a lower $/sq than those in say the previous month.  This means they incorrectly priced the home initially but once it hit a marketable price it sold.

If I?m a new seller in that market environment I?ll have to adjust my list price to that of the closing price of the guy down the street that had to lower his price 3 times to get it to sell.  Hence, prices have gone down.

Let?s be real with each other. There are some sellers that shop around for real estate who agrees to list the price at x amount.

So what is a good pricing strategy in this climate when listing? Lets say if there is a very similar size, floor plan comp sold 4-6 months ago, list at that price or +/- 3%?

the.irvine said:
So what is a good pricing strategy in this climate when listing? Lets say if there is a very similar size, floor plan comp sold 4-6 months ago, list at that price or +/- 3%?

Only 3 percent less? We are dealing with a potential global slowdown.

the.irvine said:

It depends. The market typically sets the selling price anyways. Lets say the last closed comp for your 4bedroom detached newish home was $900k.

List at $875k (3% less). Bidding war ensues. 10+ offers in first week
List at $900k (same).  Get an offer or two around ask.
List at $925k (3% more). Get one offer.

You might sell the home for the same price (let's say $905-915k) no matter the strategy - but you can dictate the other terms (30 days close, limited contingencies, rent-back, etc.) better in a bidding war scenario.

I have a perfect solution no seller will listen to.

If you price your home at around $400-$450/sq. ft. then it will truly mean the home is priced right. And it will sell most likely above asking price each time.

However, everyone wants to price their home at $500/sq.ft. or at least higher than the one nearby that just got sold with ridiculous Delano price, the greed keeps on growing and growing and it's ruining the whole market which will bring more harm like aquabliss mentioned. 

When people say the home is priced right, it's really not anymore. They look like they are priced right because the market is screwed and people have been delusional. But remember, the buyers are waking up and not delusional anymore. So your greed will not work with magical Delano listing price from now on.

Let's be honest, you will be still making killing if you were to list at $450/sq.ft. compare to the price you bought couple years ago.

If you invested in the lowest priced SFR's in given area during market lows, and try to sell them during market highs, you could list them with relatively high $/SF and still be the cheapest (or among the cheapest) SFR on the market to attract buyers.

The downside is that buyers (or investors) who target the lowest priced homes on the market tend to be more demanding on the repairs around the house, so budget accordingly.

eyephone said:
I think previously Mety has been telling people sell to get max ROI. But now I don?t know.

My "Sell now or get priced out" phase is gone. We were able to get away with whatever we list at and ask for the closing cost also, but that will hardly happen now since people have been abusing the market.

And more importantly, I was saying that specifically for Delano peeps because they seem like they are getting good appreciation since they raise the price each phase, but it really doesn't mean anything unless you sell it and get the appreciated money in your pocket. Of course, if you just wait about 15 years, it will appreciate back eventually, right? So no worries.

BTW, maybe BTB was serious, but my MAX ROI chant has always been pretty sarcastic.

Mety said:
eyephone said:
I think previously Mety has been telling people sell to get max ROI. But now I don?t know.

My "Sell now or get priced out" phase is gone. We were able to get away with whatever we list at and ask for the closing cost also, but that will hardly happen now since people have been abusing the market.

And more importantly, I was saying that specifically for Delano peeps because they seem like they are getting good appreciation since they raise the price each phase, but it really doesn't mean anything unless you sell it and get the appreciated money in your pocket. Of course, if you just wait about 15 years, it will appreciate back eventually, right? So no worries.

BTW, maybe BTB was serious, but my MAX ROI chant has always been pretty sarcastic.

In general people should understand the cycle of business etc.., emotion and consumer behavior, and economic conditions.

momopi said:
If you invested in the lowest priced SFR's in given area during market lows, and try to sell them during market highs, you could list them with relatively high $/SF and still be the cheapest (or among the cheapest) SFR on the market to attract buyers.

The downside is that buyers (or investors) who target the lowest priced homes on the market tend to be more demanding on the repairs around the house, so budget accordingly.

Yeah, maybe you can manage to handle those older income properties, but I personally would just buy something newer for both residential and rental properties. It's like I would just lease a new car instead of buying used and deal with repairs all the time. Everyone is different so there is no right or wrong here.

[me=momopi]eyes $342/mo HOA @ Delano  @_@[/me]

These are detached condos right?  The detached condos in Oak Creek (on Gelson's side) HOA is only $175/mo.

momopi said:

These are detached condos right?  The detached condos in Oak Creek (on Gelson's side) HOA is only $175/mo.

How can you have $342 for detached?  That's usually reserved for dual HOA fee homes.

Irvinecommuter said:
momopi said:

How can you have $342 for detached?  That's usually reserved for dual HOA fee homes.

Detached has lower HOAs since you have to take care of the roof, exterior paint, and etc. yourself whereas attached have higher HOAs since they take care of everything. Unless you plan to sell a quick flip, I think those HOA costs evetually even out. Delano is attached. $342 is a little bit high IMO as well.

eyephone said:
Mety said:
eyephone said:

In general people should understand the cycle of business etc.., emotion and consumer behavior, and economic conditions.

Tell us about the cycle of business, emotion and economic conditions.
If you really want to help us, you should let us know in detail like BTB did.

momopi said:

Not only are Delano attached, but the middle sandwich plan is above the garages of the other 2 plans.

#GarageHeatAndNoise

irvinehomeowner said:
momopi said:

Not only are Delano attached, but the middle sandwich plan is above the garages of the other 2 plans.

#GarageHeatAndNoise

Hey now, some people work hard to live in those units, not just Delano but they are all over Irvine.
Why so much insulting?

Mety said:
irvinehomeowner said:
momopi said:

#GarageHeatAndNoise

Hey now, some people work hard to live in those units, not just Delano but they are all over Irvine.
Why so much insulting?

So "sandwich", "heat" and "noise" are insults? Or... facts?

Back