Buffets

SoCal said:
Buffets are like a Monet painting.

They look good from afar. But up close, they are far from good.

WTH...Monet is awesome!  I would say that buffets are like Picasso...a bunch of stuff thrown together and it is as good as what you get out of it.

Depends on where you live, foothill ranch is faster to get to, if super lazy, it's next to the toll roads
The Irvine jamboree one is always packed

for Korean AYCE...

Shik Do Rak - Best flavor for briskit and sides.  service is ok.
All that BBQ - Great flavor.  service can be good
Gen - Good Food. Great service.

riznick said:
for Korean AYCE...

Shik Do Rak - Best flavor for briskit and sides.  service is ok.
All that BBQ - Great flavor.  service can be good
Gen - Good Food. Great service.

The problem I have with Gen is that they use the cheap lightweight grill grates where All that BBQ uses the heavy steel grates.  Makes a difference in cooking the meat.

I don't know why, but ayce Korean bbq to me means pretty much brisket. All the other stuff is just ok, guess that saves me some money from spending on the higher tier/pricing menu

Last time I went to shik doo rag, heavily understaffed, left larger tip, felt sorry for the lady running around nonstop

So it turns out TAPS has a Sunday brunch buffet.

Pretty expensive... $37 for adults $18 for kids 3-10 but it includes unlimited mamosas or 2 craft beers (ps9!).

Reminded me a bit of a Vegas buffet... seafood and carving station... you should try it once.

Good deals on AYCE KBBQ can also be had in Artesia, Lakewood, and Hawaiian Gardens.

I've dined only rarely at Soup Plantation since the AAA discount was discontinued in 2008.  I think they spent some $$ on re-decorating the place but the food has not improved.

I don't know of a good place to put this post but didn't want to start a new thread, so...

Does anyone on TI get sick on Sesame Noodles or pure sesame oil? Last night for dinner I made homemade Sesame Noodles, fried cream cheese wontons with dipping sauce, and beef broccoli. The sesame noodles seemed to really disagree with me. The noodles, the wontons, and the dipping sauce were all new recipes I was trying out. I don't think it's the other two things. I've only had sesame noodles or things that contain pure sesame oil a few times in the past and each time, it haunted me. I'm not sure what it is. I don't think I am allergic. I can still breathe okay and although I don't like sesame seeds, sometimes they are on the random bun or bagel and I'm okay. Everybody loved the recipes - everybody but me! I think maybe the oil is just too strong / potent.

BTW: Don't know if I mentioned this already but I finally tried a Golden Corral.

It reminded me of those cheaper Las Vegas buffets. I wouldn't mind if they opened one closer to Irvine.

It's better than Hometown Buffet but that's not really a high bar.

received a Kobe buffet flyer last week. $1 off lunch. really. $1 off aint even worth the gas money to drive to the middle of nowhere. also they charge kids by year, like $1 per year old. so if I bring my 1 year old boy he will be charged? so he can just eat mashed potatoes?  cheap ass owners

irvinehomeowner said:
BTW: Don't know if I mentioned this already but I finally tried a Golden Corral.

It reminded me of those cheaper Las Vegas buffets. I wouldn't mind if they opened one closer to Irvine.

It's better than Hometown Buffet but that's not really a high bar.

Non of these buffets would come in the neighborhood of `high bar'.  I've never been to Hometown or GC, but I remember Souplantation being crap.  I lived one block from one for 6 years and never went there. 

irvinehomeowner said:

Pretty expensive... $37 for adults $18 for kids 3-10 but it includes unlimited mamosas or 2 craft beers (ps9!).

Reminded me a bit of a Vegas buffet... seafood and carving station... you should try it once.

Just went there yesterday. Had the crab legs, brisket, oysters, omelets, freshly made donuts and fruit dipped chocolate fountain. Got the two craft beers and they were excellent. Good thing we had reservations or we would have ended up waiting around 45 minutes.

Adults are $38. Kids 3-10 are $13. I used a coupon from www.shopirvinecompany.com which saved $7.50 per person (It's $15 off two buffets and you can use up to four coupons per table. Works on kids, too.) I also had a $100 gift card from Costco which cost $80. So the adult buffets ended up costing about $24.40 per person.

irvinehomeowner said:

Iho, where is this? I might like to try it.

Had taps recently for regular dinner, not bad.  The $31 prix fixe is a good deal.  Appetizer plus a decent steak plus dessert and $10 off any bottle of wine.  Order another entree and works out perfect portion wise for my family.

Vinster said:
Adults are $38. Kids 3-10 are $13. I used a coupon from www.shopirvinecompany.com which saved $7.50 per person (It's $15 off two buffets and you can use up to four coupons per table. Works on kids, too.) I also had a $100 gift card from Costco which cost $80. So the adult buffets ended up costing about $24.40 per person.
Oh nice... forgot that Costco has TAPS gift cards and the TIC coupon is a good deal.

Is this place new? I've never heard of it let alone seen it. Then again, I don't get out much.

I was at costco on 02.25.2016 and there were no TAPS gift cards in the gift card area.  Perhaps it's been discontinued.

Back