Baker Ranch in Lake Forest / Foothill Ranch

I talked to the teachers at our elementary which Baker Ranch is rumored to feed into. They said they hoped it would. Enrollment has been declining every year at this elementary and throughout the district. The kids are ageing out with not enough to replace them especially in the areas built in the 90s like FR. Even though a couple teachers are retiring now, our teacher won't have a job this coming fall due to declining enrollment. There will be some empty classrooms in the lower grades. Also, in this area more families choose to home-school. That contributes to declining enrollment. If any families buying in Baker Ranch also choose to home school, what will the public schools matter to them?

Interesting. Then perhaps it won't be an issue. I'm in Rancho Santa Margarita and our schools are packed. The middle school for example is fed from FR, TC, PH, Coto, and parts of Mission Viejo. It's packed, but evidently there won't be an overcrowding problem then if the LF/FR area schools are experiencing a declining enrollment.

"Six Neighborhoods Open Early 2014
Single-family homes and townhomes are under construction now - along with a world-class Recreation Center and Swim Club."

SoCal said:
"Six Neighborhoods Open Early 2014
Single-family homes and townhomes are under construction now - along with a world-class Recreation Center and Swim Club."

Got the same email today.  I think these are the 6 neighborhoods (added a links and separate Planning Commission case numbers to what I shared before). 

Shea
PC Case #: SDP 2-13-3116
SFR
85 units
Small Z Lot configuration in 1D-West
Rear Usable Yard: Smallest: 404 sq. ft., Largest: 2,627 sq. ft., ?Average: 854 sq. ft.
2 car garage.  No driveway
3 Floor Plans:
#1 - 1,568sf 3BR
#2 - 1,631sf 3BR+ office
#3 - 1,668sf 4BR
Overall agenda, project plans, elevations and floorplans -  http://agenda2009.city-lakeforest.com/SIREPub/agdocs.aspx?doctype=agenda&itemid=13471

Shea
Case #: SDP 2-13-3117
SFR
85 units in planning area 1D-West
Rear Usable Yard: Smallest: 1,082 sq. ft., Largest: 3,277 sq. ft., ?Average: 1,761 sq. ft.
2 car garage.  18'x16' driveways minimum
3 Floor Plans:
#1 - 2,095sq ft 3BR with Opt 4th
#2 - 2,177sq ft 4BR with Opt 5th
#3 - 2,374sq ft 4BR with Opt 5th
Overall agenda, project plans, elevations and floorplans -  http://agenda2009.city-lakeforest.com/SIREPub/agdocs.aspx?doctype=agenda&itemid=13530

Shea
Case #: SDP 2-13-3115
Condos
144 units in planning area 1C South
2 car garage.  No driveways
4 Floor Plans:
#1 - 1,276 sf - 2BR
#2 - 1,572 sf - 3BR
#3 - 1,611 sf - 3BR
#3x - ?1,781-1,800 sf - 4BR (includes office)
Overall agenda, project plans, elevations and floorplans -  http://agenda2009.city-lakeforest.com/SIREPub/agdocs.aspx?doctype=agenda&itemid=13457

Toll Bros
Case #: SDP 2-13-3145
SFR in 4-pack cluster
111 units in planning area 1C
Rear Usable Yard: No info
2 car garage.  18' driveways minimum
4 Floor Plans:
#1 - 1,859sq ft 4BR with Opt 5th
#2 - 2,010sq ft 4BR with Opt 5th
#3 - 2,121sq ft 4BR with Opt 5th
#4 - 2,175sq ft 4BR with Opt 5th
Overall agenda, project plans, elevations and floorplans - http://agenda2009.city-lakeforest.com/SIREPub/agdocs.aspx?doctype=agenda&itemid=13473

Toll Bros
Case #: SDP 4-13-3249
SFR
75 units in 1F

Toll Bros
Case #: SDP 3-13-3198
SFR
80 units in 1F

Anyone concerned about the expansion of the county jail in 2016?  It seems a bit close to Baker Ranch to have 3,100+ inmates (allowed to increase if needed according to article).http://www.ocregister.com/articles/expansion-504235-county-musick.html

FRguy said:
Anyone concerned about the expansion of the county jail in 2016?  It seems a bit close to Baker Ranch to have 3,100+ inmates (allowed to increase if needed according to article).http://www.ocregister.com/articles/expansion-504235-county-musick.html

Yeah, I would say so. I've been thinking about it recently. It has made me less interested in Baker Ranch, more glad I live where I do, and want to stay up in them thar hills.

One of the reasons I left Chino was that I wasn't happy about living near the prison out there. But living a distance away is still no guarantee. Who here remembers the brutal slaying of a Chino Hills family and neighbor kid by an escaped inmate, Kevin Cooper, from the Chino prison? I do.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Cooper_(inmate)http://www.murderpedia.org/male.C/c/cooper-kevin-photos.htm

I wouldn't doubt an expansion will happen. I attended a safety orientation at the main jail in Santa Ana last year that confirmed the state of what's going on with the prison system being overcrowded... thousands upon thousands of hardcore criminals in California being sent back to local jails.

that whole northern irvine (stonegate/woodbury/portola springs) seems like a rather dangerous and ghetto fabulous area to live in - you got health threats from the landfill, 5 freeway, a superfund sight across the street, a potentially expanding jail. nice.

way to consider your family's health and safety.

qwerty said:
that whole northern irvine (stonegate/woodbury/portola springs) seems like a rather dangerous and ghetto fabulous area to live in - you got health threats from the landfill, 5 freeway, a superfund sight across the street, a potentially expanding jail. nice.

Watch out, Qwerty. For having that thought, California Court is going to un-invite you from his birthday party just like me.  :(

qwerty said:

Also brush fire.
http://scottsphotoblog.blogspot.com/2007/10/brush-fire-in-irvine.html

211674542-M.jpg

Hey, there you are, Test.

I sent you a PM almost a week ago about meeting up in addition to a few comments on the forum. I still haven't received a reply...? Let's stop hiding behind a keyboard. Let's put on our big kid pants and do it. Whatdyasay. I'm game if you are. Come on, it will be fun.

yup. nothing beats proximity to hazardous areas except actually living on it, as in Tustin Legacy..

qwerty said:

I think Mr. SoCal and Ms. qwerty need to watch out. Apparently you two share more than jealousy toward Irvine.

SoCal said:
qwerty said:

Watch out, Qwerty. For having that thought, California Court is going to un-invite you from his birthday party just like me.  :(

hmoer smispon said:
AKA "I'll meet you at the handball courts after school!"

Silly. That would imply an angry confrontation. Not at all. What I am suggesting is an amicable, polite introduction. I don't have any beef with Test. I would like to get to know Test a little better. I'd like to be able to say I met her. I don't bite. I think she would be glad we met.

I think I made that pretty clear in my PM but it went unacknowledged. Oh, well. I did my part.

FR Guy, you found floorplans and site layouts - awesome!  Some thoughts...

Shea SDP 2-13-3116 are waaaaay too small, the full downstairs area with great room and whatever hall/entry/office is a total of ~700 sq ft in all the plans.  Also these are going to feel like apartments are condos.  They may not be attached, but it looks like a majority of them are either motorcourt or courtyard type and they have parking spaces or "stalls" with no street parking.  These are definitely out for me.

Shea SDP 2-13-3117, these are the nicest of the bunch, but plan 2 layout is awful.  Plan 3 is pretty good, looks like the best option of all the first release (minus the Toll Brothers SFR's we haven't seen yet).

Shea SDP 2-13-3115, Condos.. don't buy the plan 1 or you'll be living above all the garages and it will be *hot*.  Take my word for it

Toll Brothers SDP 2-13-3145, Motorcourts in groups of 4, bleh. 

The 2 remaining Toll Brothers must be larger, as of now I'm holding out hope for the Shea Homes plan 3 to be in the mid $800's

The California Court Company said:
yup. nothing beats proximity to hazardous areas except actually living on it, as in Tustin Legacy..

qwerty said:

thats right. at least i own the shortcomings of where i live. you guys in north irvine think your shit dont stink.

Ok, so about those floor plans. I am surprised to see great rooms and what I think are "California rooms" (I'm still not positive what a CA room is). I guess I thought that these designs were more of a regional thing. I have seen new constructions in the last ten years that do not have great rooms and instead, have traditionally defined areas so I thought it would be a possibility in BR. Even though the jury is out on the others, it looks like that's the direction they're headed.

you two should get a room.

qwerty said:
The California Court Company said:

qwerty said:

thats right. at least i own the shortcomings of where i live. you guys in north irvine think your shit dont stink.

SoCal said:
hmoer smispon said:
AKA "I'll meet you at the handball courts after school!"

Silly. That would imply an angry confrontation. Not at all. What I am suggesting is an amicable, polite introduction. I don't have any beef with Test. I would like to get to know Test a little better. I'd like to be able to say I met her. I don't bite. I think she would be glad we met.

I think I made that pretty clear in my PM but it went unacknowledged. Oh, well. I did my part.

How do I know you're not some sexual predator with all that big kid pants talk?

I've met a lot of people from this site and they've all lived to tell about it. Ask them.
Next question.

I remember a long time ago on IrvineHousingBlog we had a user meet - I think I went and there was only like 4 people...

Back