Awful Experience at Colibri, Portola Springs

SoCal said:
bones said:
ooops thanked homer by accident.  is there anyway to "unthank"

Log-in
Click the little red asterisk to the top-right of your name in the thanks.
Follow the directions on the screen

That is how it is designed to work. However, for whatever reason it hasn't worked in a while. Maybe it will work for you, though.

Nope.  I'm not "authorized"

A Tri-City covert operation between Tustin Legacy, Ladera Ranch and Bakers Ranch employing shills to defame Chinese FCBs to tip the pendulum of home sale absorption away from the Great People's Republic of Irvine.

yaliu07 said:
Why does most people here hate/dislike Chinese?  Because they are rich??

yaliu07 said:

This Time article from last year hits the major points of conflict between Hong Kong and mainland China:
http://world.time.com/2012/01/24/tr...ong-and-mainland-chinese-arent-getting-along/

Substitute "Irvine" for "Hong Kong," and aside from the obvious Beijing control v. local rule (with Colonial roots/traditions) issue, it's basically the same complaint - that their immense cash buying power disrupts the local economy to the disadvantage of the locals, and services and resources for locals are being used up by the new immigrants. Throw in several intangibles like culture and/or class clashes for good measure to further villainize them, and you have the makings of an immigrant bash-fest.

Money doesn't see ethnicity, nationality, or class, so perhaps the anger is misdirected. It's hard forcing yourself to think logically about this when you have so much emotion wrapped up in your past and future financial decisions.

Sure they came to study here under a student visa. Without a future in China and with a goal to obtaining a green card they must study hard in their academic field while their white friends are slacking off. They get the jobs and making sure their sponsoring employers are super pleased for the duration of the green card process. Soon after obtaining a green card they will adios their employers and help seven hundred thousand relatives from China to get green cards.

dysr said:
Obviously you don't know much about green card lotteries, and I doubt you actually know any Chinese family in Irvine.

There may be some political asylum or refugee or fake marriage cases in Los Angeles, I don't know any here in Irvine however. All my Chinese friends in Irvine have H1B visa or employment-based green card (mostly EB2, some EB1 or EB3). Most of them have working couples, at least one of them own advanced degree (mostly PhD) in STEM (science technology engineering and mathematics).

irvinehomeshopper said:
Here are the methods of how Chinese obtain a green card:

1. parents, siblings (fake papers and false birth certificates issued by Chinese government)  and adult children (birth tourism anchor babies guarantee 18 years of temporary residency status for parents) then permanent after the kids turned 18.
2. spouses and fianc?s (fake marriages or spouse for hire)
3. green card lotteries
4. political asylum or refugee status (opposition to one child law, no freedom of religion, no human rights, political suppression, limited women's right to vote, no freedom of speech, intentionally criticize the government and being hunted by the communists, Great fire Wall imposed on Facebook, etc.
5. other categories like corporate sponsorships (dim sum chef at Capital seafood working for $2/hr), minimum quota investments (investments that promotes a better economy like buying a lot of RE, creating companies that offer employment to lawful US residents (foot massage places by hiring friends, or Yogurtland by hiring cheap child labor) all Chinese restaurants sponsor several dozens of workers, pay the work slaves nothing and deliberately drag out the application process to prolong the duration of slavery.

bones said:
ooops thanked homer by accident.  is there anyway to "unthank"

i think the 8's in the asking price is silly.  if someone (of any ethnicity) cared about certain numbers, they can just write an offer with those numbers in it.

Hey!! I like being thanked!

Have you figured out how many Chinese mainlander got their green cards from the "green card lotteries"?  :D

There is nothing wrong studying/working hard. I have many hard-working colleagues of all races. They have my respect. As for "adios their employers and help seven hundred thousand relatives from China to get green cards", I don't see any problem either as long as they obey the law.

FYI, the reality may be the opposite of your imagination. One of the main reasons why some very-well-educated Chinese move back to China is that it is too difficult for them to take care of their old parents if they keep working in America. (In our culture the grown-ups have duty to take care of their old parents. And many young Chinese are the only child of their parents.) Even if the old agree to immigrate to the US (most of them don't since they have no friend in America), there is a long waiting time(5-10 years) and the medical bill is formidable during this time.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Sure they came to study here under a student visa. Without a future in China and with a goal to obtaining a green card they must study hard in their academic field while their white friends are slacking off. They get the jobs and making sure their sponsoring employers are super pleased for the duration of the green card process. Soon after obtaining a green card they will adios their employers and help seven hundred thousand relatives from China to get green cards.

Very few because INS does not accept bribery. I listed lottery because it is a legal method but I did not say anything because there is no shady scheme Chinese could pull.

dysr said:
Have you figured out how many Chinese mainlander got their green cards from the "green card lotteries"?  :D

It's not all the Chinese fault.  It's really like Gangs of New York.  The natives don't like the immigrants.  Same as it ever was. 

broda said:
yaliu07 said:

because they are screwing up the Irvine housing market with the plethora of cash.  Makes it harder for the average joe to afford housing in a desirable area aka everyone bitching and moaning.

On top of that they aren't adapting to the to what they believe is American culture and trying to turn Irvine into San Gabriel valley.  :'(

That's just business.  If I have a house in Irvine, I will sell it to the highest bidder (most likely Chinese FCB).  But that's just business.  There are Apple/McDonald/Starbucks/etc in China.  Again, that'just business.

If you are average joe, then that's your own problem.  Maybe you should work harder....

yaliu07 said:
That's just business.  If I have a house in Irvine, I will sell it to the highest bidder (most likely Chinese FCB).  But that's just business.  There are Apple/McDonald/Starbucks/etc in China.  Again, that'just business.

If you are average joe, then that's your own problem.  Maybe you should work harder....

If it were a pure meritocracy, I would have no problem with this statement. I have some business dealings over there, and let's just say that some animals are more equal than others. Don't mistake a little bit of luck and fortuitousness for skill and ability - that you would make such a comment in the first place makes your insecurities and a bit of the truth to shine right through.

yaliu07 said:

quattroporte I think he's talking about you.  ROFLMAO

If you want to get into technicality then what do you call people from Hong Kong?

dysr said:
Didn't you list it as one of the "methods of how Chinese obtain a green card"? Unfortunately "very few" is still not the right answer.http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_5715.html

irvinehomeshopper said:
Very few because INS does not accept bribery. I listed lottery because it is a legal method but I did not say anything because there is no shady scheme Chinese could pull.

SamsonSimson said:
If it were a pure meritocracy, I would have no problem with this statement. I have some business dealings over there, and let's just say that some animals are more equal than others. Don't mistake a little bit of luck and fortuitousness for skill and ability - that you would make such a comment in the first place makes your insecurities and a bit of the truth to shine right through.

Pure meritocracy...  So do we have that in US?  Do you know any country has that?

Maybe we should look at ourselves in the mirror before we point fingers...

By the way, I am also an average joe.  I can't afford a house in Irvine either.  However, I try to work harder and improve by learning new technology.  I will do anything I can to earn more money.  However, I will not sit here and complain about FCB and making excuse for myself.

irvinehomeshopper said:
If you want to get into technicality then what do you call people from Hong Kong?
Good catch. That is why I explicitly mentioned in my post "Chinese mainlander" (see the quote below). Everyone reading this post  (including you) knows we are talking about Chinese mainlanders. Why don't you admit that you made a mistake?  :)

irvinehomeshopper said:

dysr said:

yaliu07 said:
Pure meritocracy...  So do we have that in US?  Do you know any country has that?

Maybe we should look at ourselves in the mirror before we point fingers...

By the way, I am also an average joe.  I can't afford a house in Irvine either.  However, I try to work harder and improve by learning new technology.  I will do anything I can to earn more money.  However, I will not sit here and complain about FCB and making excuse for myself.

When things like "If you are average joe, then that's your own problem.  Maybe you should work harder...." are said, it can generally be interpreted in one of two ways: 1. as a remark of condescension, that somehow additional work and skill was the only distinguishing factor over another who is in a much less financially advantageous position, or 2. as remark of na?vet? from one who has been led to believe that hard, diligent work is all that it takes. I apologize for misinterpreting your statement as the former, when it appears it was more the latter, if you are, indeed an "average joe" as you claim. My objective in the previous post was to suggest that some humility could perhaps be exhibited, but I know now that it's unnecessary. Your apparent acknowledgement that no country has a "pure meritocracy" is recognition of the point that I was trying to make - that it's foolish to make such a generalization that one's lot in life is solely determined by the degree of effort put into improving it.

All this is a separate issue from the complaints about foreign cash buyers, however. Yes, I understand life is not fair, etc. etc. but the foundation of governance and inter-personal relationships here are built upon concepts of fairness and a level playing field. We strive towards building a system that reflects certain common values as a nation in this regard, and our natural inclination is to cry foul when another who may not share these values and has not acted in accordance therewith does something to disadvantage us somehow. (e.g., acquiring housing at a reasonable price). In other words, the crux of the grievance is that many were not playing by the same set of rules as we are subject to in this country, and to suddenly have an outsider come in with what would be considered ill-gotten if gained in the same manner here, is offensive to our sense of equity. If we can't bribe our officials to get the results we want here, why should someone in a foreign country be able to bribe their officials to get the results they want to earn more than me? Turning around and driving up prices of a desirable resource based on this additional available money I could never hope to earn playing by the rules here is just adding insult to injury.

Most mainlanders are unethical and not honerable. They cheat their way to getting  a green card. Lottery exempts them from employing schemes and should not be listed as a category. Lottery includes Chinese from HK SAR and Taiwan. Mainlanders are not welcome. Their so called political suppressions were made up and often deemed false. The only honest few who made their way into the US were the few who stood in front of the tank on 6/4/89. The politicians who runs China have no trust in their own country. They are a disgrace by seeking green card themselves in the US, hiding their wealth here and sending their wives and children abroad. This trend is not a recent thing. Premeire Deng immediately after Mao's death raised his son in the US.

Mainlanders constantly ridicules the US in the press and seeing the US depends on them financially. The Caucasians are now bowing to them and servicing them. Their time of glory has come. Without them The US economy would not recover.

China may be strong and wealthy but she is still the poorest is dignity, human right and ethetical righteousness.

dysr said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
Good catch. That is why I explicitly mentioned in my post "Chinese mainlander" (see the quote below). Everyone reading this post  (including you) knows we are talking about Chinese mainlanders. Why don't you admit that you made a mistake?  :)

irvinehomeshopper said:

dysr said:

Back