Awful Experience at Colibri, Portola Springs

Hi Guys, first thanks to all the well-wishers for the little guy, he's doing great today and I'm still at work but my wife says no vomiting yet and he's playing normally :)

I'm sorry I really didn't mean to start a thread about discouraging remarks regarding Mainland Chinese.  Actually, the main subject in my story (the agent that was in Colibri plan 1 talking to potential buyers), I'm pretty sure she was American born (or has at least been here many many years).  She had no distinguishable accent and if you didn't see her you wouldn't know the difference between her voice and that of any other middle aged American woman.  I was just commenting on her lack of concern and her personality as a sales person in a service type environment. 

I think NYT is right, it may just be a Ryland thing.  The other woman who had the nerve to ask us to sign in when we were rushing out and our shirts still covered in the stuff, was also Asian (may or may not have been Chinese), but she too had no distinguishable accent. 

The only Mainland Chinese in my original post were those who just stepped on and over the vomit to take a look at the kitchen.  Believe it smelled pretty bad, and they didn't even make a face (in either direction) about the situation, just went on there way like nothing had happened.  I wasn't even upset at them, I was just more shocked and surprised at the way they acted.  It wasn't necessarily rude, just caught me off guard is all.

That being said, I've always been a fan of judging people based on their merits and actions as individuals.  I know there is some truth in every stereotype, but everyone deserves a fair shake.

ak said:
Also, believe me there are just as many rude and impolite non-asians as well.  There have been countless times where i would walk around Woodbury and not once would an "american" say hello. 

Hello.

aquabliss said:
The only Mainland Chinese in my original post were those who just stepped on and over the vomit to take a look at the kitchen.  Believe it smelled pretty bad, and they didn't even make a face (in either direction) about the situation, just went on there way like nothing had happened.  I wasn't even upset at them, I was just more shocked and surprised at the way they acted.  It wasn't necessarily rude, just caught me off guard is all.

Just to play devil's advocate a little bit, what should they have done? I'm asking because putting myself in that situation, I don't think I'd be terribly concerned if I saw that a small child had just vomited. As long as the kid wasn't crying and the parents were handling it, I wouldn't make a fuss or be worried something was terribly wrong or anything like that. We all know little kids throw up all the time, for any and all reasons, and it doesn't even mean they're sick. I think I'd probably just give the other parent that "yep, been there" type look, maybe grab them some paper towels if needed, but I wouldn't do much more.

Incidentally, it's not just Chinese people. My mom often tells me about when a time I was little, about 5, and I fell off a slide at the park and got a bad cut on my head, with sand stuck to it, and I was screaming, and she was dragging me and my two little sisters around to find a water fountain to wash my cut off. Not one person offered any help at all. White people!

I always think about this... besides of culture shocks and FCBs using all cash to drive up the price... they just play by the rules (at least on US soil) and pay for the asking price. There is not much "wrong" to point out about that. It's still better to me then the US banks and wallstreets screwed us all over AND ask for bailout AND a few years later they get benefit from the bull market and party with lavish bonus in our face at this very moment.

aquabliss said:
Hi Guys, first thanks to all the well-wishers for the little guy, he's doing great today and I'm still at work but my wife says no vomiting yet and he's playing normally :)

That's good news.  It must have been the food truck mixed with the heat.  Glad to hear he's doing well. 

It's at times like this I wish the new home prices plummeted and the sales people actually have to WORK for their sales.  Maybe they'll learn some customer service skills while they're at it. 

Heck they should be thankful you weren't yelling at them for your son vomiting because he ate food from their food truck.  ;)

traceimage said:
Just to play devil's advocate a little bit, what should they have done? I'm asking because putting myself in that situation, I don't think I'd be terribly concerned if I saw that a small child had just vomited. As long as the kid wasn't crying and the parents were handling it, I wouldn't make a fuss or be worried something was terribly wrong or anything like that. We all know little kids throw up all the time, for any and all reasons, and it doesn't even mean they're sick. I think I'd probably just give the other parent that "yep, been there" type look, maybe grab them some paper towels if needed, but I wouldn't do much more.

I certainly wasnt expecting anyone to stop and help or even wondering why no one offered.  It wasn't a dire situation, just an uncomfortable one that we all got through it just fine.

What I would have expected them to do when they came through the front door and saw what was going on, would be to either go upstairs first and look around (giving us the 5 minutes we needed to clean up), or go look in the other models first and return at the end. 

The Colibri Plan 1 is very small downstairs and at least 3-5 people walked past me nearly brushing my arm, which was completely covered in smelly regurgitated Havarti and Arugula, since I was holding my son in my arms when the festivities began. 

If it were me on the other side (even with having kids and knowing how things go), I would have at least given the family a few feet of space.

I hope your son is feeling much better now. Food truck is not being regulated by the health department and there is no restroom on board.

Cultural Revolution had brought out the worst of the mainlanders. Their nasty habits are universal. I have seen it all. My recent trip to the Legacy Costco I was behind a mainlanders family. Costco has a rule that all merchandise must be transferred to the cart ahead. The father was wearing a SAR mask. My wife almost puked when he took off his mask and blew his nose with it. The stringy mucus we could see from behind. He then coughed up some phlegm and spit into the mask. He them crumbled the mask and threw it into his cart.

This reminds me of that thread where I said that people who work at these sales office should be trained to be able to deal with all types of customers and be able to handle all situations in a friendly manner. I forgot who was disagreeing with me trying to compare the job to McDonald's but new home sales isn't the same as fast food service. I assume those people are paid pretty well and considering how much money the builders are making off these homes, there is no excuse for unsavory attitudes.

As for the other people, that's a society thing and I'm sure that happens everywhere. With the heat and the crowds, I think people were less empathetic and maybe some didn't even notice as they were in awe of the amazing architectural innovations (/sarc).

Did you ever figure out what it was? I would check to make sure it's not some type of allergy. As a toddler, our kid would have these episodes of getting nauseous and sometimes vomiting and I always suspected it was a food allergy because it seemed eating related, and I was right.

borca said:
I always think about this... besides of culture shocks and FCBs using all cash to drive up the price... they just play by the rules (at least on US soil) and pay for the asking price. There is not much "wrong" to point out about that. It's still better to me then the US banks and wallstreets screwed us all over AND ask for bailout AND a few years later they get benefit from the bull market and party with lavish bonus in our face at this very moment.

They "play by the books" here...but they screw over just about everyone in their native lands.  Most of them did not become wealthy by being nice people.

I was talking about Socal when she said "hello" :p
SoCal said:
ak said:
Also, believe me there are just as many rude and impolite non-asians as well.  There have been countless times where i would walk around Woodbury and not once would an "american" say hello. 

Hello.

Irvinecommuter said:
borca said:

They "play by the books" here...but they screw over just about everyone in their native lands.  Most of them did not become wealthy by being nice people.

Business is done differently in different countries. Baksheesh is a complex concept.  Is their behavior really any different and any more screwing someone/the government/the man than under the table maid, the day laborer paid cash from the home depot lot?

nosuchreality said:
Irvinecommuter said:
borca said:

Business is done differently in different countries. Baksheesh is a complex concept.  Is their behavior really any different and any more screwing someone/the government/the man than under the table maid, the day laborer paid cash from the home depot lot?

Are you talking about Chinese business people?  Yes...very different.  Most Chinese "businesses" are basically connect to the government and most are actually state owned.  In order to have a large business in China, you have to be extremely connected to the the CCP at  local and national level.  In fact, many of them were former CCP government officials.  Bribes and corruptions are the norm.  Complaints are silenced either through money or force.  They take advantage of the poor both in wages as well as destroying the environment, resulting in severe/fatal diseases/conditions to the masses.  There are too many examples of business people in China doing really bad things to make a buck.  Of course, there are no real rules in China, nothing is "illegal". 

It's not meant to be a knock against the Chinese or the business practices there.  Businesses all over the world skirt the edges of legality to maximize profit.  China is just an extreme.  Let's not forget, almost nothing that the banks did was illegal...everything was legit.  It's just that the rules and the policing agency were terrible.

IC, that's my point.  That's how business is done.  Where I grew up, it was common for people to dump their used motor oil on the dirt road running past their lake cabins to keep the dust down. The biggest illegal fireworks display was one of the larger city area Sheriff's deputy. China, IMHO, from and environmental and labor standpoint is at about 1880s US equivalent.  Right now, IMHO, political graft is becoming the norm in the USA too.

That's how the game is done there, or you don't play and return to being a sub-subsistence farmer/laborer.

India has it's own unique challenges as do most other countries, including our own.

I think mainland Chinese have an inferiority complex from getting the crap kicked out of them throughout history.

Last month in south coast plaza, a Chinese lady was buying skin cream in Bloomingdales & needed translation help.  So I helped her with her purchases, and the skin counter girl gave me a lot of free samples because this lady bought a ton of crap.

Then She said she was looking for the Patek Philippe store and asked me where it is.  She said she was going to buy a $20,000 watch.  Wow I didn't really need to know that but ok...good for you.  As I was telling her to go look at the mall directory, she starts ranting about how great China is and how the USA is totally reliant on them now.

At this point I realized she has a huge inferiority complex. 
Please show off moar.  South Coast Plaza is happy to cater to your feelings of inadequacy.

this is the mainland bashing thread. amidoing it rite?

So i was in Macao' a few years back, and I had just won 900 HKD! woo hoo.  There I was standing in line to change my chips back into HKD.  There were 3 lines open at the cashier, and each line had people in it.  There was this one Chinese dude hopping around the 3 lines trying to cut into whichever line opened up next.  About 20 seconds of hopping, he ends up getting in front of me...

This motherfucker getting in front of me...don't know how to queue in a fucking line!..Hell no.. so I kicked him.  He turns around and I gesture for him to get behind me.  He says "Why you kick me?"  and I said I didn't kick you.....

and then he got behind me.

zubs said:
this is the mainland bashing thread. amidoing it rite?

lol, urdoing it rite.  You were so nice helping out that mainland lady.  Most rich mainlanders think they own the US.  Any chance they get they like to rub it in our faces.

I wouldn't have been that nice to a mainlander. 

zubs said:
There was this one Chinese dude hopping around the 3 lines trying to cut into whichever line opened up next.  About 20 seconds of hopping, he ends up getting in front of me...

Not exactly the same situation, but your story reminded me of this GIF:

un5.gif

Back