Average Income in Irvine

What do you think the average *real* income in Irvine is?

• Less than $100k

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • $100k

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • $200k

Votes: 26 47.3%
  • $300k

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • More than $300k

Votes: 4 7.3%

• Total voters
Patrick J. Star said:
Was down in Irvine this past weekend for the first time in months, and found ourselves going north (east?) on Jeffrey over the 5. As we crest the freeway overpass Mrs. Star gasps and says, "WTF is that, the projects??!!"   Look to my right and to my surprise see a massive amount of communal housing sitting right on the north side of freeway --- I guess that is what is called Cypress Village?  That's all new since our last trip to your fair city.  Made me think of this thread, all those apartments can't be good for the average income in Irvine. 

Amazing what is TIC doing to ruin in such a short period of time the beautiful city they built in the 80's - mid 2000's.

I've been saying it since 2005. Irvine's infrastructure is going to really be tested in the next decade. In 1998 I could go get gas on Main/Harvard without having to even wait in line, always a free spot at any time of the day. Try getting gas at the Shell over there now from 9am to 6pm. If you're not waiting behind at least 1-2 cars, consider yourself fortunate.

IndieDev said:
kalbi said:
Please do NOT misquote me again. I did not say why would anyone want to live in CDM.  I said CDM's stats do not match those of Uni's.

Ah, but you misunderstand me my fiesty Korean mommy. The fact that you made the comparison is what makes my point.

you sure have a knack for making assumptions (i'm not korean) and taking what people say out of context.  i never once said uni is the best nor did i ever say that you HAVE to go to Uni be successful. i merely called you out on posting inaccurate "statistics." 

The ex Santa Ana mayor is trying to grow Irvine to 250,000 and knock SA off the 4th place position. 4th place is better than 6th.

Patrick J. Star said:
Was down in Irvine this past weekend for the first time in months, and found ourselves going north (east?) on Jeffrey over the 5. As we crest the freeway overpass Mrs. Star gasps and says, "WTF is that, the projects??!!"   Look to my right and to my surprise see a massive amount of communal housing sitting right on the north side of freeway --- I guess that is what is called Cypress Village?  That's all new since our last trip to your fair city.  Made me think of this thread, all those apartments can't be good for the average income in Irvine. 

Amazing what is TIC doing to ruin in such a short period of time the beautiful city they built in the 80's - mid 2000's.

kalbi said:
IndieDev said:
kalbi said:
Please do NOT misquote me again. I did not say why would anyone want to live in CDM.  I said CDM's stats do not match those of Uni's.

Ah, but you misunderstand me my fiesty Korean mommy. The fact that you made the comparison is what makes my point.

you sure have a knack for making assumptions (i'm not korean) and taking what people say out of context.  i never once said uni is the best nor did i ever say that you HAVE to go to Uni be successful. i merely called you out on posting inaccurate "statistics."

Again, you're missing my point. The comparison itself already shows your intent.

Let's put this into the context of a crime. If a criminal is being accused of counterfeiting currency, and evidence is brought into the court that shows the criminal was discussing in detail with friends or associates of how to replicate individuals bills that can pass most litmus test, then that conversation itself can be damning. You forget, it doesn't have to be a "smoking gun" for someone to be guilty of a crime, it just has to be damning enough to have an effect on perception.

You may not have the murder weapon kalbi, but you do have the murder plan written in blood on your desk. Plus you're defending way too much, I'm simply not convinced.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Oakcreek started in 1992. Catellus Cypress 2 pack, Greystone's 3 story Acacia and John Laing Homes Cricket Club and Cobblestone were among the first.
Oak Park is inferior, terrible plan, one car garage and 1 bedroom. If you think $280k for this junker is affordable then you are truly in Unicornland. For $280k there are much nicer homes outside of Irvine. This was a loser even FCBs will shy away from. The price just could not go any higher for this piece of crap!

In Summer 1999, Oak Park was taking deposits for Phase 8 or 9.  The last was phase 10 or 11, next to the bridge.  If memory serves, the smallest plan 1 model sold for $180k-$200k in the last phases.  After that, Quail Hill's smallest condo came on the market at $250k.

Oak Park condos have 4 floor plans, ranging from 1 bedroom to 2 bed + loft (optional bedroom w/bath).  All models come with 2 car garage, some are tandom and others are side by side.  You can see the floor plans here:
http://www.oakcreekrealestate.net/Oakpark/index.php

I bought my first condo here in 1999, the smallest Plan 1 model, had it nicely done with upgraded carpets, new side by side fridge, CAT5 wiring, new washer/dryer, etc.  I had intended to live in it, but had to move back home to look after my grandparents, so all the new goodies went to my first tenant.  I did get to roll around on the new carpet like a cat before handing the keys over to my property manager.  Feeling sorry for myself, I bought another investment condo here.

In 2007, I finally managed to move BACK into my little condo at Oak Park, after moving around between Buena Park, Placentia, and Fullerton.  Despite the drops in value, the condo still had enough equity in it this year that I was able to refi and take enough $ out to buy another investment house in Temecula.

This is what Kalbi wrote "I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the socialeconomic background of those that attend Corona Del Mar High most likely exceeds that of Uni students.  Why does Uni consistently outperforms CDM in terms of test scores then?"

When I first read it the intent was implied that Uni is better than CDM even at a economic disadvantage position from CDM. Really! The rich spoiled kid from Turtle rock, first time driver driving a brand new car who scraped our dear member is deprived from living like the top .000000000001% of the super rich should be commended for scoring a higher API for UNI.

If you want to compare schools Kalbi you should use a better example like the poor immigrant families' kids who can't even afford to take a bus to school but Middle College in Santa Ana is ranked #2 ahead of Uni and CDM.

Unfortunately your intent is interpreted as pro UNI and you can't blame others for leading to the same conclusion as Indie. Had you cited a more extreme example the outcome would have been totally different. 

Because Asians are superior to other races. The only way to vent their frustration is to mock Asians. You being Asian is #1 and it is hard being #1 because others want to knock you off from the top of the barometer.

Asians take the best job away from the other other races. Asians scored high test scores making other races look stupid. Asians jacked up home prices so the other races can't even afford to buy in Irvine. Asians restaurants are forcing other restaurants to close. Asians are putting up shop signs others can't read. Asians are taking over UCI. Even here at TI Asians are dominant.

Asians made other races inferior so why complain about the stereotypes when only the best get criticized. Take it as flattery and you will live happier.

kalbi said:
IndieDev said:
Liar Loan said:
IndieDev said:
Asian people.  :D

After reading this thread, I'm glad I'm not Asian.  It sounds like an awful lot of pressure.  Well in truth, it's not from reading this thread, but from seeing what some of my Asian friends in high school went through.  I remember sitting in a Denny's late one night my senior year, while a friend of mine was practically crying because he didn't get into Harvard and was attending lowly Stanford instead.  This was hard for me to relate to.  I had just spent 4 years having the time of my life, going to parties, being crazy, and making memories that I still look back on fondly.  He missed out on all that and still felt like a failure.  I really felt bad for him.

In Irvine Asian culture, success and fulfillment in life is derived primarily from being better than other people, and by better, its inferred to mean "more stuff". Better cars, nicer homes, more degrees, titles, and of course trophy spouse.

You won't get any of that stuff going to a "second rate" school in Saddleback Unified with any old 900+ API. You need to go to Uni High so you could maybe go to Harvard (but most likely to CSU Fullerton).

That's why it's worth the premium to live in a 50 year old house backing to a freeway. It's all about what's more important in life. Like Kalbi said, why would anyone want to live in Corona Del Mar? Their High School sucks in comparison.

Also, I find it quite entertaining to read such stereotypes and broad generalizations of Asians.  It's amazing to me that you non-Asians purport to know SOOOOO much about us Asians.

IndieDev said:
In Irvine Asian culture, success and fulfillment in life is derived primarily from being better than other people, and by better, its inferred to mean "more stuff". Better cars, nicer homes, more degrees, titles, and of course trophy spouse.

Based on your statement, can we assume your wife is the same way because she lives in Irvine and is Asian? Live south of 405? More successful. Has niece who was two out of 3423890480 from random school who went to IVY? More fulfillment.

Clearly wanting more and showing it off is exclusively Irvine Asian cultural thing.

Lete clarify - Asians are mentally superior to other races, but not physically. Asians still have little peepee's ;-)

Asians want what they don't currently have. The grass is always greener on the other side. Could your crush be on a blond is a clue to your subliminal mind?

Starlight East said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
Asians take the best job away from the other other races. Asians scored high test scores making other races look stupid. Asians jacked up home prices so the other races can't even afford to buy in Irvine. Asians restaurants are forcing other restaurants to close. Asians are putting up shop signs others can't read. Asians are taking over UCI. Even here at TI Asians are dominant.

Well, at least the blondes clearly won TI's celebrity crush contest.

irvinehomeshopper said:
When I first read it the intent was implied that Uni is better than CDM even at a economic disadvantage position from CDM. Really! The rich spoiled kid from Turtle rock, first time driver driving a brand new car who scraped our dear member is deprived from living like the top .000000000001% of the super rich should be commended for scoring a higher API for UNI.

its funny how you perceive the world.  when you think of uni, you think of rich spoiled turtle rock kid even though turtle rock is a very small population of uni students.  there are far more people living in the irvine rental communities that feed into uni than people who live in turtle rock SFRs.  and of the rental communities, you have ones like park west which is the cheapest IAC community and attracts much lower incomes than the rest.  so while you see a rich spoiled TR kid at uni, i can see a poor park west kid going to uni. 

irvinehomeshopper said:
Asians want what they don't currently have. The grass is always greener on the other side. Could your crush be on a blond is a clue to your subliminal mind?

Starlight East said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

Well, at least the blondes clearly won TI's celebrity crush contest.

again, this is clearly an asian trait. I think that grass is greener thing was in chapter 13 of Analects of Confucius.

Some Asian women know that.

I heard that don't underestimate a small pistol because the bullet is just as lethal.

qwerty said:
Lete clarify - Asians are mentally superior to other races, but not physically. Asians still have little peepee's ;-)

IndieDev said:
Patrick J. Star said:

I've been saying it since 2005. Irvine's infrastructure is going to really be tested in the next decade. In 1998 I could go get gas on Main/Harvard without having to even wait in line, always a free spot at any time of the day. Try getting gas at the Shell over there now from 9am to 6pm. If you're not waiting behind at least 1-2 cars, consider yourself fortunate.

That is one of the reasons I uprooted from Irvine after 10 years and moved down south.  Breathing room!

Are you saying there are poors living in Irvine and renting at Park West is for poor folks. I think your definition of poors is all jacked up. Have you checked the rent there compared to the 3 digit rent over at Old Tustin or Santa Ana. IAC is known for the highest rent and highly ammenitized so renting an IAC is not exactly for the poors. Trojanman rents an IAC so is he poor? I don't think you know what poor is. Lower income renters in Irvine comparatively are a lot wealthier than the families who sent their kids to Middle College my friend. Poors is when you can't afford even a family car and the family takes a bus. Have you seen Irvine residents take a bus in Irvine? It is always the maids leaving or going to work or commuter students going to UCI.

rkp said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

its funny how you perceive the world.  when you think of uni, you think of rich spoiled turtle rock kid even though turtle rock is a very small population of uni students.  there are far more people living in the irvine rental communities that feed into uni than people who live in turtle rock SFRs.  and of the rental communities, you have ones like park west which is the cheapest IAC community and attracts much lower incomes than the rest.  so while you see a rich spoiled TR kid at uni, i can see a poor park west kid going to uni. 

You may think Irvine is a place for all segment of economic, races and diversities. The humanitarian message sounds good.

The reality is it is not. This city discriminate Hispanic, blacks and other races with negative perception. Police harass them for no probable cause. Economically this city makes it impossible for the poors to live regardless of rent or own.

Discrimination is at a all time high in Irvine.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Are you saying there are poors living in Irvine and renting at Park West is for poor folks. I think your definition of poors is all jacked up. Have you checked the rent there compared to the 3 digit rent over at Old Tustin or Santa Ana. IAC is known for the highest rent and highly ammenitized so renting an IAC is not exactly for the poors. Trojanman rents an IAC so is he poor? I don't think you know what poor is. Lower income renters in Irvine comparatively are a lot wealthier than the families who sent their kids to Middle College my friend. Poors is when you can't afford even a family car and the family takes a bus. Have you seen Irvine residents take a bus in Irvine? It is always the maids leaving or going to work or commuter students going to UCI.

rkp said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

i never said park west is for poor folks.  i said park west is the cheapest and attracts lower incomes than OTHER IAC communities.  your entire response is focused on the word "poor" even though i used that once. 

the comments stemmed from the CDM vs Uni.  i honestly dont know what the avg income of CDM high parents is but i dont think using TR folks to describe population of uni is fair. 

I did not say all rich kids go to UNI either.  You did say you believe a poor kid could attend UNI and I will argue with you on this statement alone. There is not a single kid attending UNI is poor. Economically it is not possible for a poor family living in the area. Not wealthy is a yes but poor is a definite no.

Back