Anyone been watching the Towering Inferno at Marquee Place?

[quote author="dayday" date=1220572990]Why am I hearing so much negativity about Marquee when compared to other nearby high rises? I agree they are overpriced, but so are the others. What makes this one different?</blockquote>

Marquee should be the focus of negativityism. It's a crappy project and the ammenities aren't up to par with the lifestyle visions they had marketed the building with. At least the plaza and 3000 have much better common areas and units.

Bosa (the marquee builder?) was smart, they built as fast as possible and corrected mistakes after the fact

I sat next to someone on a plane this weekend. We started talking and he told me that he moved to Irvine about 6 months ago and bought a condo in these units. I really wasn't in the mood to talk (surprisingly), so I just said "Oh, that's nice."

He then continued to tell me that it was a huge mistake because they have been dropping quite drastically since the day he purchased it. About two months after his purchase he got a new job - in Santa Monica!

Can you imagine driving from Irvine to Santa Monica every day to go to work! He said he is in the car about four hours a day.

O U C H !

It's hard to feel schadenfruede for people who admit their mistakes.

Thanks for the story although it was sad.

Interesting forum. Yes, I am an owner of a unit at Marquee. 4th floor unit, $590,000 purchase price. We have had it leased for 2+ years now and the current rent is $2,750. We are underwater by about $200 a month, or $700 a month if I factor in the annual property taxes. It is not a pretty situation, but there is still no decent for-sale market. I bought several pre-construction condos in San Diego and flipped out of each one immediately upon completion. Did very well on each one. This is the only one I have left and no more in contract. This Irvine project has been a debacle, primarily because of timing, but also because of the HOA's which are absurdly high as has been pointed out in this forum. Like all luxury buildings the HOA includes all of the common area amenities, insurance, gas, water. The big expense is people -- concierge, 24-hour guards, housekeeping, etc. The HOA in this building should be about $700 but unfortunately we are on the hook for a huge monthly payment to Maquire Properties (master developer of Park Place) for a "cross easement." What an idiotic thing to saddle the homeowners with. Bosa should have paid for the cross easement and why on earth would it be so expensive that it consumes about 1/3 of the total HOA budget? That's something like $1,000,000 per year! The HOA has filed suit against Maguire and Bosa over this issue but of course it will be many years before anything is decided and probably only the lawyers will profit from the action. I never intended to own the condo for more than a few weeks or months so quite frankly I did not pay attention.

Compared to Bosa's projects in San Diego, Marquee's design is horrible. Within a few months of opening, the owners were so unimpressed with the lobby and common areas that we all complained to Nat Bosa and he gutted the lobby and re-did it at a cost of (I think) almost $1,000,000. It is better now. Originally it had all of the ambiance of a hospital corridor, right down to expensive flooring that looked exactly like.....hospital vinyl flooring! The city of Irvine really hurt the building too with ridiculous building codes requiring big ugly exit signs everywhere in the hallways, ugly industrial looking fire doors everywhere, etc. It seems that they had never approved a high rise residential tower before and just applied office building codes instead. The buildings in San Diego have the same life safety features but they are much more subtle, as they should be in a residential building.

Anyhow, we will sell when/if the market in this building firms up some, or if we lose our excellent tenant. At our basis we should be able to break even on a sale today. Of course we will have lost a lot of money overall given the years of negative carry. Not all investments work out. I am not emotionally attached and will sell for a loss and not lose any sleep. Of course, I wish I had never received the invitation from Bosa to buy in Irvine. I wish I had never heard of Irvine. Yes, they catered to and encourage speculation. When they deny that they are lying.

As for the location, I actually think it is excellent. Of course it is not on the water...that's different buyer/market. The location is all about business and minimizing the commute. For that, it is fantastic. That's why my tenant moved in and stayed. He had been commuting from San Clemente and it was taking years off his life. Now he is 5 minutes from his office very happy. He is a CEO who travels a lot...he is a couple of minutes from the airport. There are many millions of SF of high quality offices within a half mile diameter of the project. Companies could/should buy or lease units as temporary executive housing.

Long term, I still believe that the project will stabilize, because the location is so good. Will it stabilize at lower prices? Probably...since the HOA fees imply a significant discount to prices. Also, the crappy financing market today implies a further discount since lenders are reluctant to lend of high rise condo units, particularly if there is a high proportion of non owner-occupied units. Over time, inflation will help on the other side of the equation.

Cheers,

[quote author="marquee owner" date=1221388270]Interesting forum. Yes, I am an owner of a unit at Marquee. 4th floor unit, $590,000 purchase price. We have had it leased for 2+ years now and the current rent is $2,750. We are underwater by about $200 a month, or $700 a month if I factor in the annual property taxes. It is not a pretty situation, but there is still no decent for-sale market. I bought several pre-construction condos in San Diego and flipped out of each one immediately upon completion. Did very well on each one. This is the only one I have left and no more in contract. This Irvine project has been a debacle, primarily because of timing, but also because of the HOA's which are absurdly high as has been pointed out in this forum. Like all luxury buildings the HOA includes all of the common area amenities, insurance, gas, water. The big expense is people -- concierge, 24-hour guards, housekeeping, etc. The HOA in this building should be about $700 but unfortunately we are on the hook for a huge monthly payment to Maquire Properties (master developer of Park Place) for a "cross easement." What an idiotic thing to saddle the homeowners with. Bosa should have paid for the cross easement and why on earth would it be so expensive that it consumes about 1/3 of the total HOA budget? That's something like $1,000,000 per year! The HOA has filed suit against Maguire and Bosa over this issue but of course it will be many years before anything is decided and probably only the lawyers will profit from the action. I never intended to own the condo for more than a few weeks or months so quite frankly I did not pay attention.

Compared to Bosa's projects in San Diego, Marquee's design is horrible. Within a few months of opening, the owners were so unimpressed with the lobby and common areas that we all complained to Nat Bosa and he gutted the lobby and re-did it at a cost of (I think) almost $1,000,000. It is better now. Originally it had all of the ambiance of a hospital corridor, right down to expensive flooring that looked exactly like.....hospital vinyl flooring! The city of Irvine really hurt the building too with ridiculous building codes requiring big ugly exit signs everywhere in the hallways, ugly industrial looking fire doors everywhere, etc. It seems that they had never approved a high rise residential tower before and just applied office building codes instead. The buildings in San Diego have the same life safety features but they are much more subtle, as they should be in a residential building.

Anyhow, we will sell when/if the market in this building firms up some, or if we lose our excellent tenant. At our basis we should be able to break even on a sale today. Of course we will have lost a lot of money overall given the years of negative carry. Not all investments work out. I am not emotionally attached and will sell for a loss and not lose any sleep. Of course, I wish I had never received the invitation from Bosa to buy in Irvine. I wish I had never heard of Irvine. Yes, they catered to and encourage speculation. When they deny that they are lying.

As for the location, I actually think it is excellent. Of course it is not on the water...that's different buyer/market. The location is all about business and minimizing the commute. For that, it is fantastic. That's why my tenant moved in and stayed. He had been commuting from San Clemente and it was taking years off his life. Now he is 5 minutes from his office very happy. He is a CEO who travels a lot...he is a couple of minutes from the airport. There are many millions of SF of high quality offices within a half mile diameter of the project. Companies could/should buy or lease units as temporary executive housing.

Long term, I still believe that the project will stabilize, because the location is so good. Will it stabilize at lower prices? Probably...since the HOA fees imply a significant discount to prices. Also, the crappy financing market today implies a further discount since lenders are reluctant to lend of high rise condo units, particularly if there is a high proportion of non owner-occupied units. Over time, inflation will help on the other side of the equation.

Cheers,</blockquote>
Thank you for sharing your story as an owner. Now I understand why the HOA is so expensive (I was not aware of the cross easement). But that raises the question, why do the Plaza highrises off Jamboree and Campus have $1,100+ HOA dues?

Why don't I sell now?...probably should. I should probably send a letter to all of the current owners and tenants in the buildings that we will sell for $590,000, with the tenant in place. That would be a win-win assuming no brokers involved. I'm just too lazy/busy to get the mailing list put together, etc.

[quote author="marquee owner" date=1221445659]Why don't I sell now?...probably should. I should probably send a letter to all of the current owners and tenants in the buildings that we will sell for $590,000, with the tenant in place. That would be a win-win assuming no brokers involved. I'm just too lazy/busy to get the mailing list put together, etc.</blockquote>

Why would you want to thin the buyer pool even further? Oh right, to save 5%. Though if you DID hire an agent worth his/her salt, they should inform you that you should list it for far lower. That might end up saving you time, carrying costs, etc. that might make up for the broker fee.

So, what has sold in North Korea over the last 6 months you ask? These 35 plus luxury properties for sale must just be flying off the shelves, right? Wait, only 4 properties sold in this Premier Irvine upscale, exlcusive, resort type dwelling? And one of them was a bank repo? That, that, that.... just can't be! Can it?

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/3141-Michelson-Dr-92612/unit-309/home/7214734

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/3141-Michelson-Dr-92612/unit-1605/home/7211407

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/3131-Michelson-Dr-92612/unit-1002/home/7211464

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/3131-Michelson-Dr-92612/unit-1303/home/7211486

<a href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/3141-Michelson-Dr-92612/unit-309/home/7214734 ">http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/3141-Michelson-Dr-92612/unit-309/home/7214734 </a>

[quote author="morekaos" date=1218593649]Cue laugh track please.......

Listing Price History

Date Price

<span style="color: red;"><span style="font-size: 14px;"><strong>Dec 10, 2007 $1,000,000 </strong></span></span>

Jun 25, 2008 $549,000

<strong><span style="color: red;"><span style="font-size: 14px;">Aug 01, 2008 $499,000 </span></span></strong>

<span style="color: red;"><strong><span style="font-size: 15px;">FORECLOSURE LOOMS</span></strong></span>...BEAT THE BANK!!! The 'pied-a-terre' of the United States West Coast elite. Prestigious California Riviera High-Rise Condo. Experience Sunny SoCal's Newest Luxury Lifestyle. Modern yet sophisticated 2 bed/2 bath + den/office on the 8th floor with spectacular views! Truly, a one-of-a-kind combination of location and convenience with extensive amenities incl: concierge service, billiard and meeting rooms, pool, spa, fitness center, CCTV bldg surveillance + much more! Centrally located in the 'Heart of OC'. No Mello-Roos.

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/3141-Michelson-Dr-92612/unit-807/home/12126335</blockquote>

Ahhh, like an old glove....Well, looks like someone did "Beat the Bank", to death. Not even the 499 bid got hit, some knife catcher knocked em down another $9,000.00 bucks. No wonder my SIV went under.

<a href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/3141-Michelson-Dr-92612/unit-807/home/7211359">unit 807</a>

Went to dinner at Houston`s on Saturday night.

And the North Korea Towers were just stunning.

I saw one unit with its lights on. Amazing.

[quote author="bltserv" date=1228198114]Went to dinner at Houston`s on Saturday night.

And the North Korea Towers were just stunning.

I saw one unit with its lights on. Amazing.</blockquote>

The one with the light on was the night security's office!

Me too. I have never seen more than a few of the units with lights on in the evening. It would seem that a majority of the units are not being occupied. How long can the owners hold out until they run out of money? I don't get it. I wonder how many units in total are not being occupied.

[quote author="JimJones" date=1228286774]Me too. I have never seen more than a few of the units with lights on in the evening. It would seem that a majority of the units are not being occupied. How long can the owners hold out until they run out of money? I don't get it. I wonder how many units in total are not being occupied.</blockquote>

well, most of these people bought these units to flip, so they are likely living somewhere else. some are trying to sell and cut their losses, others are not. it's hard for anyone to admit they will have to sell their property at a loss of at least a hundred thousand dollars. although the market was on a downtrend earlier this year, shit only started to hit the fan into September. so those that were holding off for the "right time" to sell are even in a worse position to sell now than they were a few months ago. and now, it's going to be harder to actually sell these units, let alone suck it up enough to put it on the market (for just the random chance some sucker is willing to buy it now). i'm sure some of these people are out of money, and I wouldnt' be surprised if some/more of these units end up in foreclosure. many are probably holding out to "weather" the storm.

Half mil loss from bulder purchase....the dominos are falling

<a href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/3131-Michelson-Dr-92612/unit-1303/home/7211486">1303</a>

Back