400 buyers waiting for new homes

[quote author="escrowbear"]
[quote author="irvinekoolaid"]First time poster, after reading all the activity on here and thought I would throw in my two cents.

Bottom line: I want to live in Irvine and understand that prices are going to be north of $300/ft. Been in the market for the last 6 months and looking for a 4BR 2500 sq ft home under $850K. Also want a new home with new finishes. Sonoma fits the bill, and so much so that I signed up at 10:03 when the website opened. I have seen the interest list and know two buyers that were on the first phase, and neither were related to the builder. I am not in love with the CA room (prefer the conservatory room), and lot size is a little disconcerting, but the layout of the interior is to my liking.

Now I know that i could go to Aliso Viejo and San Clemente and buy a 4000 sq ft home for the same price, but if I am going to be in the home for 5-10 yrs, I trust that the market in Irvine will not fall as much as other areas. Now that might be the koolaid talking, but Asian buyers in Irvine will continue to keep the prices afloat. As artificial as the school love is, that is the reality and that will continue to be the reality in the next 10 years. If i buy a $800K home in Woodbury or Northwood built in the last two years, I am confident tht within the next 5-10 years, there will be a window where I can recoup my investment.

I am not surprised at the demand for these new homes. Foreclosures are being gobbled up within hours of listing, and short sales get lost in the administrative headache, so buyers are happy that all they have to simply do to get a home is sign up on a website early.

Interested in furthering the discussion on specific topics....[/quote]

Were you able to buy in the first phase?[/quote]

HELLO!?!?! 10:03!!!! What do you think? He's getting house 401...

I bet Haiku has a time machine that can get you on that list at 9:59.

Regardless of the number of VIPs (5 reported compared to graph's 20)... I'm actually surprised there are any. According to graceshopr, no one in the building industry would live in Irvine... so who are these VIP people? The driver or maid for Dan Young? If they are connected to the industry, either they are getting a good discount... or they don't read BK's posts on how terrible it is to live in Irvine.

Boom-sha-ka-la-ka!

Your number doesn't matter...you'll get a house.

Once I was at Carl's Jr and they gave me #79. I thought, this is going to take forever. Next thing I knew my order came out even before I could finish filling my water cup w/ soda.

The take away? Nobody gets through 78 orders faster than carl's jr.

Not on the first phase as Haiku so eloquently pointed out, I actually doublechecked addresses and information for an extra 40 seconds before submitting, so probably shut out for a few phases. But I am only a fan of Plan 2 at Sonoma, and the lots being offered in Phase I are not the best for Plan 2.

Will probably end up buying somewhere else in the meantime (Northwood II, Northpark), but nice to have the option at Woodbury in case the other options don't work out.

Mr. Young lives in Coto because he does not like the sardine density Irvine.

Industry people knew it is a rip-off to buy a place with limited space. They know their schemes do not translate to tangible value but only perceptional value therefore choosing to live in other neighborhoods offering large yards and greater privacy.

Industry people base their choices by price tag and value unrelated to good Irvine planning.

The buyers on priority list may be the relatives of industry people or fictitious applicants working for the builders to stirring up a buying frenzy by artificially increasing the numbering positions on the interest list.

For the last time. I do not hate Irvine just the snobbish residents and how little you get for the money. Until both factors are removed then I will move back there.
I do not believe in paying over $280/sf in todays market.

In the meanwhile the money we spent is less compared to Irvine home prices of course. we like the freedom of hosting large parties without having to get permission.

4CG, 10 car deep driveway and several hundred guest parkings on the street are in my book perceived as a better value only for a fraction of what I would have spent in Irvine.

[quote author="graceomalley"]Mr. Young lives in Coto because he does not like the sardine density.

Industry people knew it is a rip-off to buy in Irvine for so little space. They do not want to be victim of their own scheme. They live in neighborhoods with yards and privacy. Industry people does not want to live in Irvine purely due to "You get so little for your money" and not because of good Irvine planning. The people on priority list may be relatives of the industry people or inside moles. I have heard of using fictitious applicants or inflated place holder position numbers to stir up buying frenzy.

For the last time. I do not hate Irvine just the snobbish residents and how little you get for the money. Until both factors are removed then I will move back there.

I just do not believe in paying so much in getting so little in return.

In the meanwhile the money that we spent less compared to Irvine of course we like the freedom of having a very large party anytime and anyday as we wish. 4CG, 10 car deep driveway and several hundred guest parkings on the street are in my book a better value.[/quote]

Please edit the typos so we can keep believing someone named O'Malley is writing this.

Yes, you definitely get more for your money outside of Irvine, and that could be preceived 'value'.

Value could also be buying a commodity that is in high demand. When I get sick of living in a crowded, 'sardine', community, I would have no problem selling my property due to the 'demand' for Irvine, whether justified or not.

[quote author="graceomalley"]Mr. Young lives in Coto because he does not like the sardine density.

Industry people knew it is a rip-off to buy in Irvine for so little space. They do not want to be victim of their own scheme. They live in neighborhoods with yards and privacy. Industry people does not want to live in Irvine purely due to "You get so little for your money" and not because of good Irvine planning. The people on priority list may be relatives of the industry people or inside moles. I have heard of using fictitious applicants or inflated place holder position numbers to stir up buying frenzy.
[/quote]
Ahh... so the VIPs are not industry people but a cousin's cousin's mailman's dog sitter.

Not everyone is a snob. But I doubt Irvine will ever be a "value-oriented" real estate area ever again.

I just do not believe in paying so much in getting so little in return.

In the meanwhile the money that we spent less compared to Irvine of course we like the freedom of having a very large party anytime and anyday as we wish. 4CG, 10 car deep driveway and several hundred guest parkings on the street are in my book a better value.
So why did you move to Irvine in the first place? Because back then it was less snobbish, bigger lots and a better value?

Times change. One day someone will look back at Woodbury and say "I can't believe how big those homes were" or "I can buy something 5 times that large for the same price on Mars" or "What was school and why was it so important?".

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]I bet Haiku has a time machine that can get you on that list at 9:59.

Regardless of the number of VIPs (5 reported compared to graph's 20)... I'm actually surprised there are any. According to graceshopr, no one in the building industry would live in Irvine... so who are these VIP people? The driver or maid for Dan Young? If they are connected to the industry, either they are getting a good discount... or they don't read BK's posts on how terrible it is to live in Irvine.

Boom-sha-ka-la-ka![/quote]

5 VIPs for one tract in a community of 5 tracts is 5X5 = 25 VIPs for the entire community. Since reading comprehension here has gone the way of the Doo Doo Bird; I also said that many executives are automatically added to the list. Seeing as how they already own homes, why then would they even be on list or multiple lists for that matter.

For the record: I am on several buyer lists myself, and yet I probably won't be buying in any of them. However, I will happily sell my (formerly) inside top spot on said list with a starting bid of $1000.

You can poke fun at me and all the stats about interest lists all you want, but this one is a fact that, as hard you try, you just can't poke through.

@graph:

Oh man... did you not eat your anti-drama cereal this morning?

I was poking fun at BK not you. According to him... VIPs shouldn't be on this list. But we've squared that... it's PWKVIPs... not VIPs.

P.S. 5 x 5 = 25 but if it's the same 5... it's still 5. Don't start trying to argue math with me, I'll sic my 1st grader on you.

P.S.S. Keep your inside rep up, once they open Laguna Crossings I'm going to bid on your list position.

P.S.S.S. If the only way to get you to post here is to poke fun at you... POKE POKE POKE!

EDIT: I should clarify my first P.S. The list is managed by TIC, so I would imagine that the VIPs are TIC connected, not builder specific... especially since BK said builder connected people don't want to live in Irvine. However, I will concede that if those 5 VIPs are from each builder, that would be 25... BUT... the list is for each builder so you wouldn't be #21 (or #26) on the list, you would be #6. Unless you are saying all 25 VIPs (or PWKVIPs) are on each list (but that's not what I read).

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]@graph:

Oh man... did you not eat your anti-drama cereal this morning?

I was poking fun at BK not you. According to him... VIPs shouldn't be on this list. But we've squared that... it's PWKVIPs... not VIPs.

P.S. 5 x 5 = 25 but if it's the same 5... it's still 5. Don't start trying to argue math with me, I'll sic my 1st grader on you.

P.S.S. Keep your inside rep up, once they open Laguna Crossings I'm going to bid on your list position.

P.S.S.S. If the only way to get you to post here is to poke fun at you... POKE POKE POKE!

EDIT: I should clarify my first P.S. The list is managed by TIC, so I would imagine that the VIPs are TIC connected, not builder specific... especially since BK said builder connected people don't want to live in Irvine. However, I will concede that if those 5 VIPs are from each builder, that would be 25... BUT... the list is for each builder so you wouldn't be #21 (or #26) on the list, you would be #6. Unless you are saying all 25 VIPs (or PWKVIPs) are on each list (but that's not what I read).[/quote]

How can you verify the VIP list is legit? When I was involved with prior home projects a long time ago names were added to the waiting list to creating a high demand perception so other legit buyers then would join in thinking the longest list must be the best project. The list never started at number "1" but always started somewhere in the 15 with VIP priority buyers.

Later as momentum picked up placeholder names on the early priority list would slowly vanish leaving the legit buyers on the long waiting list a very happy camper. No one has ever challenged the tactic but was glad that the previous buyers "dropped out of escrow"

There is nothing for the developers to lose by having more names on the list. It is all good PR and also helps to create the illusion of high demand : "Oh my God there are 400 qualified buyers ahead of me I better buy now before the FCBs decide to buy one for each of their relatives living in Shanghai.

This is the main reason why the developer does not collect a deposit for the priority interest list and there is no financial consequence for those on the list for dropping out later.

Strategists came up with plans to heighten the exclusivity by having "soft openings, priority preview, and pre-model walk" to make the consumers feel like that got an insider deal and selection. Have you heard of "Friends and Families 20% off sales events" but offered to most customers who are neither family or friends? So far this strategy has been very successful for retailers.

Regarding the "bogus" first people on the list, I'd say the probability of that being the case is very high.

Didn't the Vantis/Latitudes development in Aliso Viejo do something similar? Where supposedly a bunch of people "camped out" all night to wait for the opening of the complex, but it turns out most of them were employees. The one lady looked like she came straight out of the office and just put on some slippers lol. They also intentionally left the lights and tv's on in some of the vacant units to make them appear to be occupied.

But I know that this practice is common for new nightclubs or trendy restaurants, where they intentionally make the lines long even if there is plenty of room inside to let people in. Scarcity drives up demand, so if you don't have it, you can always attempt to create the ILLUSION of scarcity. This concept works for so many products, it's why sleazy car dealers always say you have to act NOW because they don't have any more of those models in inventory.

I had a real estate agent tell me to bring a checkbook with me the first day I ever looked at houses, in case I wanted to make a deposit. Please, I'm not going to make a life changing decision like that right there on the spot. "Oh, I'll take that one."

^^^ Thank you.

Another one not fooled by the nightclub marketing. Do as you please, but take note on the repeated incidents. It happens for a reason. Don't be part of the herd. BBBBAAAAAHHHH!

Again... I don't care if over half the list is fake... having this many buyers in this downturn at these prices is ridiculous.

Again... where else do you see something like this (no one has answered that question)? Santa Ana? Garden Grove? Brea? Anaheim?

Forest for the trees.

Other than Irvine you have really no clue of other projects happening outside of this city. Tremont was sold out in 4 months in FV with home prices averaging $1.4 million. Lotus Walk has a long list of interested buyers before the project is being released.

How can you really be qualified to make assessment when you do not have little universal knowledge of housing projects that are happening in other OC cities? These are just 2 examples. When you do not read them in the paper it does not mean they do not exist. You got to stop reading the freebies in your mail box and door steps. Do you read the paper? or just the internet corporate censored editorials.

FCBs comes in cycle pending on the China economy and it is not sustainable. Guess what happen to RE when Chinese found other destinations. Have you heard of Hacienda Heights, Walnut's Amar Road, Monterey Hills, and Montebello Racquet Mountain and what happen to their RE prices when wealthy Chinese decided to move away in grove like the way they abandoned Chinatown, Monterey Park, Alhambra, temple City and migrated eastward to Arcadia, Rowland Heights, Diamond Bar and Chino Hills.

This residency cycle from my research last only___ years before they will migrate to other cities. I expanded the Chinese community in Irvine and I do still hold the secret. Here is another trivia for you: I lived in Diamond Bar in 1980 way before the Chinese migration. The key is buy low predicting the Chinese migratory direction then sell high. I was already in Irvine by the mid 80's.

I wont post the juicy info here.

Other home companies don't have large PR department lying through their teeth and robbing your yard size to pay for the TV commercials and indoctrinating lifestyle.

You have sheeple mentality and easily get tricked by the media. Theses signs are indication that you are not really a leader but a follower by letting a corporation dictates how you should live your life, which big box retails you should shop at, which business park you should work at, Which pocket parks you should go play at, what color you must paint your house, door, and shutters, you must BBQ in a California Room, you must learn to like Olive and Pepper trees, you must accept a motor court as your front door, you must smell what your neighbor ate last night, you must close your windows and shut up when you bang your spouse, you must keep an eye out for those trying to convert California Room to interior space, you must pay this fee, you must not park here, you must not store things in the garage, you must notify the committee before holding a large party, and you must follow more rules.

The good thing is you do not have to wear a Mao pin but I do pity your institutional and Stepford way of life. For someone who has a leadership voice in this forum you are really just another sheep getting step on by the corporate developers.

[quote author="graceomalley"]The key is buy low predicting the Chinese migratory direction then sell high.
[/quote]

What direction do you predict the Chinese will move after they experience Irvine fatigue?

[quote author="graceomalley"]
This residency cycle from my research last only___ years before they will migrate to other cities. I expanded the Chinese community in Irvine and I do still hold the secret. Here is another trivia for you: I lived in Diamond Bar in 1980 way before the Chinese migration. The key is buy low predicting the Chinese migratory direction then sell high. I was already in Irvine by the mid 80's.

I wont post the juicy info here.

[/quote]

Bk...My wife and I actually had a conversation about this. We were thinking that with the stall in Irvine prices for now, maybe it would be wise to buy something in Chino Hills because that area may be on the verge of an explosion of migration east from Diamond Bar and Hacienda Heights. Not that we would live out there at this point in our lives --- but as an investment property if Chino Hills turns out to be the next up and coming Chinese boomtown and "place to be". Our friend opened a Taiwanese Yakitori/Beer House out there on the same hunch.

What do you think? Good idea, bad idea?

The strategy is like commodity. Buy low and sell high. Irvine has already surpassed that stage. The margin is no longer there. I do not see Sonoma in a few years worth 1.4 mil or Woodbury appreciate to $2 millions.

Those days are gone to be exact were 1996-2000 in Northwood, Northpark, Newport Coast, West Irvine and Oakcreek. Resale prices triple and especially for Mahogany (the best design) sold for 6x the initial purchase price. ($398,000 for the plan 1 and sold for over $2 mil to a Chinese buyer)

When Chinese want them bad they will outbid each other to 3x your initial investment so the concept is to study their migratory pattern and buy now while it is still the cheapest and hold for 5 years.

I set a trust and bought a detached condo in Ghetto 714 Irvine for $258K knowing that Chinese will migrate to West Irvine.

Aldea was another gem for $285.9K the day (9-11-01) when presale was at the trailer.

Investment in Irvine today is like buying Google and Apple at peak prices. The margin is not there for profit.

I have been tracking this for 30 years in the Bay Area, NY, Vancouver, and SoCal. There are pattern and signs. I will post this subject at Blank site.

Here is a secret that I can share with you. I keep a detached house in Irvine that I bought for less than 300k and I send my daughter to the local school. I live on an estate size property in another city with way too many parking spaces and no neighbors in sight. I walk naked in my yard.

I bought low and sold high to Chinese buyers.

My drive is only 8 minutes to Irvine to enjoy all the amenities, retail and services that you help to pay for with your tax dollars for my enjoyment.

I have the ultimate quality of life without having to pay much for it because I live off the expenses of brand conscientious people.

I was talking to a laid-offed architect who worked for the firm that help designed Woodbury, he mentioned that Bren wouldn't want to do alley loaded products ever again. He likes the master plan design but doesn't want to live here. He chooses to live in Mesa Verde where there are elements of a master plan without all the draw backs, he said...

[quote author="roundcorners"]I was talking to a laid-offed architect who worked for the firm that help designed Woodbury, he mentioned that Bren wouldn't want to do alley loaded products ever again. He likes the master plan design but doesn't want to live here. He chooses to live in Mesa Verde where there are elements of a master plan without all the draw backs, he said...[/quote]

Larger properties, single story, total freedom, no HOA, no fees, and best value for the money. Was he from JZMK?

To be employed in this cut throat industry one must have one or both of the follwings. Talent and lick the developers ass. You all know which one I don't have.

Back