30 Day Fitness Challenge

nosuchreality said:
Well, a broken up week.  Work hit stressville.  Missed my workout yesterday because of it, but did manage to get three in from last Friday to yesterday.  Scale still says the same number.

3 better than zero. No gain better than scale tilting the other side. Next week!

Cubic Zirconia said:
Half a day to go and I have blwn my 1650 :) I think I will just stop adding for the rest of day ;)
SoCal, your chicken rice soup sounds delish. I will try it, with fake chicken, brown rice and mozzerella cheese.  Haven't eaten wild rice in a while. Do you cook in broth?

It's this recipe right here. It's super easy!:

Spicy Chicken Rice Soup from Taste of Home Magazine

exps17750_SSC1178108C21A(1).jpg

Yes, it calls for 2 cans of chicken broth but I bet veggie bouillon would work just as well if you want to avoid the bird. I've only made this recipe a few times so I haven't perfected it yet. However, so far I've been using a box of Uncle Ben's chicken flavored wild rice where it calls for 3 C. rice. It works out well. I'm sure it could work with your preferred rice. Also, it doesn't mention it but when I cook the chicken, I season it first.

You can do it stovetop. I usually put all ingredients except the rice, chicken, and cheese in a slow cooker. I set it to "simmer" (below Low on my cooker). I add the rice and chicken towards the end. I dish it out then put the cheese on only for those who want it.

You can adjust the heat level depending on if you use a hotter or more mild salsa.

qwerty said:
i did 14 miles in the last week. just wrapped a busy part of the year at work the other day so will resume to the 3 mile days tomorrow.  when i walk the pups 3 miles, that is their target to get extra portions at dinner time. so i try to do 3 whenever possible

That is awesome!! You have a good routine going.

nosuchreality said:
Well, a broken up week.  Work hit stressville.  Missed my workout yesterday because of it, but did manage to get three in from last Friday to yesterday.  Scale still says the same number.

That is still good. You didn't let the stress beat you down by over-eating and bloat up / give up. I say good job!

irvinehomeowner said:
How much does a trainer cost?

I remember that at places like LA Fitness and 24 hour, it was extra.

I need someone to tell me what to do or I won't do it.

My night walks are usually time-based, about 40 minutes... so I don't know how long in miles they are... I think I counted steps once and it was something like 4000+ steps which is approximately 2 miles. Only problem is I haven't been doing them every night... so lazy watching American Idol.

Yeah, it's definitely extra at 24. I wish I could remember the cost. I just know it was enough that when they sat me down for their orientation or whatever it is, I was thinking: "No way!" and didn't take the bait. But I'm kind of frugal, so, maybe it would be okay with you.

Good for you. Great job with the walking! I keep two pairs of hand weights under my coffee table so I can do floor exercises during commercial breaks. A few minutes here and there... you feel it the next day.

Cubic Zirconia said:
We finish a week tomorrow. I have managed to stay active mostly, haven't lost any weight, gained some, eaten healthy almost, binged once..
How about you guys?

IHO- small changes?
NSR- hope you cut the size of that frozen yogurt?
Homer- ran to the White House this morning and returned home for dinner?
SoCal- the chef is sleeping?
Kulbert - Any new class?
Qwerty- 7X3 = 21 miles this week?

Did one on Tuesday called Cross Fusion.  Essentially a cross fit class.  We warmed up for about 30 minutes (actually pretty crazy warmup, I was sweating like crazy afterwards).

Then we had three workouts that we did:
1. Walking lunges with kettlebells in each hand
2. Dumbbell squat followed by an overhead press
3. Jump rope.

Each exercise was done for 45 seconds and the only break in between was to get to the next exercise.  4x through.

Followed by ab workout for about 15 minutes.

SoCal said:
irvinehomeowner said:
How much does a trainer cost?

I remember that at places like LA Fitness and 24 hour, it was extra.

I need someone to tell me what to do or I won't do it.

My night walks are usually time-based, about 40 minutes... so I don't know how long in miles they are... I think I counted steps once and it was something like 4000+ steps which is approximately 2 miles. Only problem is I haven't been doing them every night... so lazy watching American Idol.

Yeah, it's definitely extra at 24. I wish I could remember the cost. I just know it was enough that when they sat me down for their orientation or whatever it is, I was thinking: "No way!" and didn't take the bait. But I'm kind of frugal, so, maybe it would be okay with you.

Good for you. Great job with the walking! I keep two pairs of hand weights under my coffee table so I can do floor exercises during commercial breaks. A few minutes here and there... you feel it the next day.

Equinox is also extra.  You would think it's free after paying so much money just for a membership.  However, I will vouch for their personal training sessions.  They are GOOD.  Seeing what the trainers plan for workouts, the types of workouts they have you perform and their attentiveness to their clients is FAR FAR beyond anything I've seen at another gym.

I suppose it would be worth it if you have a difficult time motivating yourself.  I personally don't have that problem.  I absolutely love working out and eating well...it's a real blessing :)

irvinehomeowner said:
Just did 40 minutes of walking... rained on me last 20 minutes... I almost drowned.

Yay, Iho!

You are soooo brave going for a walk at night after this rain! Me going for a walk after a rainfall is like doing hopscotch on my tip-toes. Trying to get around all the creepy worms, snails, slugs, etc. takes forever!! I could go a few houses in 40 minutes. Wait, I take it back. You're only brave if you made it more than 4 houses away in that 40 minutes. So, did you??

40 minutes = 4000 steps = 2 miles.

The last 20 minutes I was walking pretty fast because I was getting soaked... so maybe it was little farther.

irvinehomeowner said:

The last 20 minutes I was walking pretty fast because I was getting soaked... so maybe it was little farther.

Not to mention your heart rate was probably elevated from walking fast and trying to get back home.

Anyone use a pedometer?  My company sponsors employees with a pedometer and subscription to Virgin Healthmiles.  I basically wear the pedometer to track steps everyday.  Employees get giftcards for obtaining a certain number of steps throughout the year.  It's a good incentive!

Hey, guys. "My Tracks" is an app which lets you record your walks (or drives, etc.) It keeps stats like: distance, total time, average speed, and elevation changes. You can view your path in a map. You can export it as a .kml file to view in Google Earth or share online in Google maps. It uses your GPS to track you. You push "record" when you're ready to begin and "stop" when you're done. "My Tracks" is made by Google.

irvinehomeowner said:

Nicely done. I, for one, am very proud of you. I'm sure everyone else here is, too. Keep up the good work!

Nausea for over a week now. (Yes, I'm sure there is no bun in the oven.) Fever for me all weekend. Whatever it is, I'll take the extra help. Staying on track with calories is going swimmingly.

Walked 30 minutes last night.

Played a little ball this morning... knee held up (whew).

Went biking with the family for about an hour (checking out some possible neighborhoods to move to).

The biking hurt the knee the most... but it's better than it was 2 months ago.

Now I just need to work on not eating so much junk (will post in the Dining thread).

Nice job staying active with low-impact exercises for that knee, Iho. You're being smart about it and doing well.

I caught your dining thread post. Are you keeping track of the calories? It's o.k. to splurge on a meal out and still lose weight. When I go out, I usually make up for it by eating lightly before / after.

The scale has finally caught up to my food journal. I am down 6 lbs. since beginning 3 weeks ago.

Mr. SoCal seems re-motivated today now that I refueled him with one of his favorite meals last night. I made Fried Pork Chops w/ Onion Mushroom Gravy on Yukon Gold Mashed Potatoes. I served it with string beans. (The pork chops are cooked low and slow after browning. 325 for 90 minutes. You don't even need a knife to cut them. Very tender.) It's not the lightest of dishes but that's alright! We watched calories earlier in the day and after dinner. When everything was said and done, we were still running good deficits. It can be done!  :)

kubert13 said:
Anyone use a pedometer?  My company sponsors employees with a pedometer and subscription to Virgin Healthmiles.  I basically wear the pedometer to track steps everyday.  Employees get giftcards for obtaining a certain number of steps throughout the year.  It's a good incentive!
I tried some iPhone apps that do the same thing... pretty accurate as I checked it by counting manually against what it reported, very close. That's why I know the approximate steps per minute I walk.

I tried Endomondo and MapMyHike.
SoCal, congratulations! You lost a LOT...
IHO, nice.. did I run into you on my walk last evening? ;-)

What did I do? Took Friday off, and Sunday morning weight trained. Sunday late afternoon hit the trail, ran some, walked some. Husband is training me to run, getting there.. slowly.. it won't happen overnight. 100 squats, and 100 lunges mid way, done! I think I ran close to a mile, walked 2. This week is crazy busy, no clue if I will get time to work out. Starbucks diet!

Back