30 Day Fitness Challenge

homer_simpson said:
For every 30 seconds of sprints you do try to have a recovery time of 1 minute to 1 minute and 30 seconds to let your heart rate drop before you sprint again.

For the sprints, you should be going balls to the walls... meaning... give everything you got!

Good Job everyone!!

Recovery time is usually the same as the amount of time just sprinted (i.e. 30 second sprint, 30 second recovery).

ALSO, one thing I forgot to mention...you may all be wondering "how does this work in a treadmill class? Do people just make up their own workouts?"  WELL...we each person has a FM transmitter with earphones.  Our instructor has music going through the earphones + instructions on what to do.  So we aren't just all over the place.  He keeps careful timing in the intervals, rest, etc.  It seemed weird at first, but it's REALLY awesome to have someone telling you what to do.  Each class is different.  Some days we do hills, other days sprints.

Cubic Zirconia said:
irvinehomeowner said:
I'm sweating from just reading kubert's post.

+1 to IHO's statement! I haven't tested classes yet. One of these days.. probably summer weekends.
So over the weekend, I tried to jog after some success with trail running. I just couldn't. Huffed and puffed after 1/2 of a mile and decided to walk.. Any tips on how to push oneself to jog?

Music? Some people like it.  Also, running buddy/buddies?  It's always nice to run with someone else.  Few people are motivated to running alone consistently.

Definitely have good running shoes.  Also, Give yourself small goals to obtain.  Don't try and make a ridiculous 5 mile goal because you'll never get to it immediately.  Start small and slowly work your way up.  A lot of running magazines suggest an increase of 10% in your distance each week.

An early Christmas present for all you men folk on T.I.

A recent study shows women should do more housework to stay fit. Due to lifestyle changes and modern conveniences, women began slacking on the number of hours spent cooking, cleaning, and doing laundry. Over the years, they have gained weight because of it.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/health&id=9011093

SoCal said:
An early Christmas present for all you men folk on T.I.

A recent study shows women should do more housework to stay fit. Due to lifestyle changes and modern conveniences, women began slacking on the number of hours spent cooking, cleaning, and doing laundry. Over the years, they have gained weight because of it.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/health&id=9011093

No study on how men have stopped hunting and gained weight? :)

kubert13 said:
Cubic Zirconia said:
irvinehomeowner said:
I'm sweating from just reading kubert's post.

+1 to IHO's statement! I haven't tested classes yet. One of these days.. probably summer weekends.
So over the weekend, I tried to jog after some success with trail running. I just couldn't. Huffed and puffed after 1/2 of a mile and decided to walk.. Any tips on how to push oneself to jog?

Music? Some people like it.  Also, running buddy/buddies?  It's always nice to run with someone else.  Few people are motivated to running alone consistently.

Definitely have good running shoes.  Also, Give yourself small goals to obtain.  Don't try and make a ridiculous 5 mile goal because you'll never get to it immediately.  Start small and slowly work your way up.  A lot of running magazines suggest an increase of 10% in your distance each week.

I do have the whole family with me :) Six year old out ran me.. she did close to two miles without resting.
Shoes.. Mizuno wave rider- not exactly riding any waves with it. Guess I will start small and not feel bad about running only so much..

On your tread and shred.. the speed change every minute- is it a program that you preset? (I have no idea how it works! Probably I haven't used treadmills much to know..)

Cubic Zirconia said:
SoCal said:
nosuchreality said:
Personally, cooking for the family and dieting is easily 20X harder than doing it yourself, IMHO. 

I agree. It really is. Will Mrs. Nosuchreality be joining your efforts?

I wish my husband would get on board with me so we could do more of a team effort but he likes things the way they are. He'll be 45 soon. Unless he has an epiphany, I don't expect to teach the old dog any new tricks.  ??? Aside from a heart attack, knock on wood, what's a good way to get a man's butt in gear?

If he is 45 and not diagnosed with blood pressure/ diabetes/ cholesterol/ triglycerides, he has awesome genes that let him enjoy his wife's awesome cooking! Let him be, and shape up- he will join you to look good.. just like you :)

How are things with you? Remember, you are enrolled at 24 hour fitness, and you can walk into any of their gyms, finger print and a phone number will let you in  ;-) I want to try Zumba dancing one of these days. Have you tried it?

At his last checkup a few years ago, his cholesterol was on the high side of the normal range but still normal. No other issues so far other than probably having an overweight or obese BMI. I talked to him over the weekend. I told him I really would like a partner to work with. He said he thought I like him the way he is. Of course I do!! It's not a looks thing for me. After all, I like big boys. I would just like more moral support. Plus, I would just like him to live as long as possible. His attitude has been that he is perfectly happy cheering me on from the sidelines... while eating a cheeseburger. Also, he pats himself on the back and says he must be doing something right if he has a wife ten years younger. As you can see, he's a tough one to motivate.  ::) He's got a comeback for everything I say.

Finally, he agreed he will try! Based on everything he's seen me try over the years, he's decided to count calories because it's what has had the best results for me. He's been trying for the last 24 hours but seems frustrated. We'll see how long this lasts.  :)

Thanks, I thought it was 24 but wasn't sure. Nope, I haven't tried Zumba. It's one of those things that they make look so easy but it's hard. I'm not a great dancer! No rhythm -- I'm white, remember?  :p

CZ, see the article above. No hikes needed. Fire the housekeeper. Rattle those pots and pans!  :p

I'm really bummed out about this lower carb way of life. I've been getting headaches, feeling nauseous, weak and dizzy. I've had temptation but have pretty much stayed the course. Regardless, now my weight loss has stalled. The cravings have never gone away for me.

I think I'm going back to counting calories. It was more work but it was a lot more doable. It's the only thing that has consistently worked for me. I've lost 30 lbs. twice (meaning, the same 30 lbs.  :p) counting calories. I like the tangible results it gives. It's like a math game and I'm a numbers kind of person. You can still have whatever you crave, just not however much you want... and negotiate the other things you eat to keep on losing. I'm not giving up but I'm switching game plans.

SoCal said:
CZ, see the article above. No hikes needed. Fire the housekeeper. Rattle those pots and pans!  :p

See my reply above :)
Counting calories seems to work for most. My two other friends on MFP simply do that- they don't worry about carb/protein ratio. I am eating slow carbs as much as I can. Works better than the white carbs..

Cubic Zirconia said:
SoCal said:

See my reply above :)
Counting calories seems to work for most. My two other friends on MFP simply do that- they don't worry about carb/protein ratio. I am eating slow carbs as much as I can. Works better than the white carbs..

CZ, can you provide some options of slow carbs and white carbs?  And the differences between the two?

White carbs: White bread (they say some of the brown bread is actually white flour with approved brown coloring, ouch!), white pasta, white rice
Whole grains: Sprouted grain bread, brown rice and whole grain pasta
Slow Carbs: Black beans (and other beans with the exception of garbanzo beans), lentils, legumes and all vegetables

I do have a book at home that lists the items, but these are all I could remember. Will edit later to add other things.

kubert13 said:
So far...

Friday - Tread and Shread at Equinox (5x Two minute intervals at 1.0% incline with a one minute jog in between).  My intervals went like this:

(speed = the number on the treadmill, equates to MPH).
1 minute - 6.0 speed
2 minute - 9.0 speed
1 minute - 6.0 speed
2 minute - 9.1 speed
1 minute - 6.0 speed
2 minute - 9.2 speed
1 minute - 6.0 speed
2 minute - 9.3 speed
1 minute - 6.0 speed
2 minute - 9.5 speed

Then sprints....
30 seconds - 3.0% incline - 10.0 speed
60 seconds - 4.0% incline - 9.5 speed
90 seconds - 4.0% incline - 9.0 speed
90 seconds - 3.0% incline - 9.0 speed
60 seconds - 2.0% incline - 10.5 speed
30 seconds - 1.0% incline - 13.0 speed

Saturday - HIIT at Equinox called Stacked! for 45 minutes.  Basically stacks six different exercises.  Each performed at 30 seconds without breaks in between.  Goes like this:
1, 2
1, 2, 3
1, 2, 3, 4
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Followed by active recovery of core.  Then a second stacked series.

Sunday: Metcon3 at Equinox for 45 minutes.  10 different exercises for 1 minute each.  You do all ten straight through with no breaks.  Went through the 10 exercises 3x.

My body is so tired from the weekend...

Kubert - that is a weak workout, you should work out with me one day to see what a real work out looks like. it would go like this:

first 20 seconds - one bite of cheeseburger
next 20 seconds - eat as many fries as possible
next 60 seconds - drink milkshake  - maybe a diet coke if its a light workout
repeat the above cycle until two cheeseburgers, fries and shake are gone
once complete, spend next 20 minutes thinking about what is for dinner

qwerty said:
Kubert - that is a weak workout, you should work out with me one day to see what a real work out looks like. it would go like this:

Are you reading my workout regimen diary?

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:

Are you reading my workout regimen diary?

we may be brothers from another mother.

@Homer: have you ever considered becoming a personal trainer? You seem interested in it and good at it. Since you're loaded, you could make do with the meager wages and flexible family-friendly schedule. Just a thought.

SoCal said:
@Homer: have you ever considered becoming a personal trainer? You seem interested in it and good at it. Since you're loaded, you could make do with the meager wages and flexible family-friendly schedule. Just a thought.

Definitely not loaded or good at personal training so I can't quit my day job. 

I love helping others! If I can spend a few minutes a day encouraging and providing tips that worked for me in the past and can help change lives; then I'm all for it :)

Do any of you exercise a lot with your pet? I am thinking of getting a big dog so I can feel a lil' safer going on secluded paths alone and also going at night. Something to protect me but also to drag me around the block.

I REALLY, REALLY want this really bad!!:

313491_10151362318735073_1897776505_n.jpg

... but I know only a meaner dog would make sense. My last dog was a Pomeranian. That, too, is a no go.

SoCal said:
qwerty said:
i walk my dogs 2-3 miles a day, keeps them healthy and tired.

Good for you! Do you guys go at a brisk pace?

We start slow because they each need to pee everywhere to mark their spots. After that they start to focus on the walk and we pick up the pace.

qwerty said:
SoCal said:
qwerty said:
i walk my dogs 2-3 miles a day, keeps them healthy and tired.

Good for you! Do you guys go at a brisk pace?

We start slow because they each need to pee everywhere to mark their spots. After that they start to focus on the walk and we pick up the pace.

and there! Qwerty walks everyday to keep himself in shape :p

Back