30 Day Fitness Challenge 2015

i think the pooch thingy you refer to are abs :)

bones - do you work out or are you blessed with good genes?

Actually anything under 30% looks pretty good.  :)

One thing that works for me really well is cutting down on carbs and take in more protein. 

I've peak my weight and waist size shortly after getting married and than over course of 2 years by doing some sort of  Atkins diet, work out and watch calories intake, I've lost 35 lbs and shrink my waist from 33" to 29".

I've maintain my current shape for a while now but fluctuate within range of 5-6 lbs.  Every time my weight gain pass the 5 lbs mark I significantly cut down on carbs and increase protein portion and usually I'll lost this 5 lbs gain within 2 weeks period.  Of course my regular gym visit helps too. 

qwerty said:
i think the pooch thingy you refer to are abs :)

bones - do you work out or are you blessed with good genes?

Both.  Blessed with great asian genes :) and I also work out X times a week (run, pilates, weights).  Am also pretty disciplined about my diet.  I don't drink any calories.  Just black coffee + water the whole day.  I don't eat very much sugar.  My weakness are carbs (noodles mainly).  The key I find is to not stock any crap at home.  Can't eat it when you can't access it. 

lnc said:
shrink my waist from 33" to 29".

keep this kind of non-sense to yourself or just PM farmie and TCCC. dont you know how these statements make me and IHO feel? you are just as bad as Paris' tormentor :)

and where the hell is PS9 with his thread!

The why might simply be the baby.  How's the wife doing?  How are they doing on workload sharing with the baby?  Is he still in the no sex zone or is one of them in the too tired, too stressed too much baby for sex and the other, most likely him, life as normal?

Plus there may be the psych issues some men have when their wife becomes the mother of their children.

Of it could just be he still has a thing for you

Or even more simply, the brother to brother power struggle of unfinished childhood stuff

Here's an important question, growing up did your hubby usually come out on top or did the brother when they would compete?

Paris said:
SoCal said:
Paris -- that is unbelievably rude of that guy and completely inappropriate. I'm sorry you are dealing with such a rude individual. This really isn't about you but about him. One of the best things you can say if he suggests you lose weight is, "Let's do it together!"

Unfortunately, I have had several toxic people plus one irrational, mentally ill parent in my life so I know how you feel. I really enjoy Marie Dubuque's channel on Youtube. She gives some great advice on how to deal with irrational people. I'm not much into "self-help" but she is a life coach, just fyi. Here are a few that deal with the situation you find yourself in. (Warning: her videos are addicting.) She is good at offering strategies. One big point is that it's best to have a plan before you encounter that person again. I hope this helps!

Thanks for the support guys - at first I thought "am I being irrational or overly sensitive" but nice to know it is totally inappropriate.

The background to this story is that this is my husband's brother from another mother - they grew up together and I don 't want to come between that close bond. And that he's our business partner in a large business so very intertwined relationship there. And in our younger days I was "the girl interest" between these 2 friends - thank God I chose my husband over him - best choice of my life. So now I don 't know why he's like that. Is it because we're all so comfortable with each other he feels like he can be brutally honest? He's alway commenting on my appearance in some way - whether it's what I'm wearing, or how I look. Why is it any if his business??? I guess I'm too fat for him now although just 10 years ago he was sending me valentine's day cards.  ::)

Anyway thought it'd be interesting to bring up that background. SoCal thanks for the video link - I will definitely check it out because I know I'll be dealing with this crap again soon.

But onto better things - it's nice to be on this challenge with others. And SoCal I'm sure you'll be joining us after your cruise but yes you must indulge on that cruise - or else what's the point of a cruise?

qwerty said:
lnc said:

keep this kind of non-sense to yourself or just PM farmie and TCCC. dont you know how these statements make me and IHO feel? you are just as bad as Paris' tormentor :)

and where the hell is PS9 with his thread!

Sounds girlie man. Shouldn't 29" be a real mans thigh circumference?  ;D

nosuchreality said:
The why might simply be the baby.  How's the wife doing?  How are they doing on workload sharing with the baby?  Is he still in the no sex zone or is one of them in the too tired, too stressed too much baby for sex and the other, most likely him, life as normal?

Plus there may be the psych issues some men have when their wife becomes the mother of their children.

Or even more simply, the brother to brother power struggle of unfinished childhood stuff

Here's an important question, growing up did your hubby usually come out on top or did the brother when they would compete?

Paris said:
SoCal said:
Paris -- that is unbelievably rude of that guy and completely inappropriate. I'm sorry you are dealing with such a rude individual. This really isn't about you but about him. One of the best things you can say if he suggests you lose weight is, "Let's do it together!"

Unfortunately, I have had several toxic people plus one irrational, mentally ill parent in my life so I know how you feel. I really enjoy Marie Dubuque's channel on Youtube. She gives some great advice on how to deal with irrational people. I'm not much into "self-help" but she is a life coach, just fyi. Here are a few that deal with the situation you find yourself in. (Warning: her videos are addicting.) She is good at offering strategies. One big point is that it's best to have a plan before you encounter that person again. I hope this helps!

Thanks for the support guys - at first I thought "am I being irrational or overly sensitive" but nice to know it is totally inappropriate.

The background to this story is that this is my husband's brother from another mother - they grew up together and I don 't want to come between that close bond. And that he's our business partner in a large business so very intertwined relationship there. And in our younger days I was "the girl interest" between these 2 friends - thank God I chose my husband over him - best choice of my life. So now I don 't know why he's like that. Is it because we're all so comfortable with each other he feels like he can be brutally honest? He's alway commenting on my appearance in some way - whether it's what I'm wearing, or how I look. Why is it any if his business??? I guess I'm too fat for him now although just 10 years ago he was sending me valentine's day cards.  ::)

Anyway thought it'd be interesting to bring up that background. SoCal thanks for the video link - I will definitely check it out because I know I'll be dealing with this crap again soon.

But onto better things - it's nice to be on this challenge with others. And SoCal I'm sure you'll be joining us after your cruise but yes you must indulge on that cruise - or else what's the point of a cruise?

Wow! Such intuitive questions - are you a psychiatrist or in this field in some way? I say that because my husband in the past was always the obese friend who barely graduated high school and he was the friend that had a 4 year engineering scholarship to a great Cali college. And my in laws were always telling my hubs "why can't you be like your friend blah blah". And then my husband joined the Marines and got super lean and fit, got out, went to USC got a degree and now is in corporate finance doing really well and makes 4 times his friend's salary. So now he's on top and maybe the friend is jealous.
AND with the new baby he definitely isn't getting enough bedroom action so maybe it's the testosterone? And to top it off the friend is very "macho" like the woman needs to do all the work (home/child) vs my hubs does 50% of the housework so the friend's wife is always "comparing" the 2 friends. Looking at all this - things are coming together in my mind, making sense.

Qwerty thank you for the consultation and offers of support  ;) if you're not joining us in the challenge you can be our motivational support leader, cheering us on. And as a thank you, you may get some private photos of our progress lol ok ok j/k about that...calm down.

that 30% pic doesn't do justice. the lady in that picture got her fat in the right places :)

I guess I will go to my HOA's bathroom (so it won't reveal my house's decor) and take picture in B&W (so it is more difficult to tell my ethnicity). what do you guys want me to write on my abs? TI or SoCal?

lnc said:
Actually anything under 30% looks pretty good.  :)

One thing that works for me really well is cutting down on carbs and take in more protein. 

I've peak my weight and waist size shortly after getting married and than over course of 2 years by doing some sort of  Atkins diet, work out and watch calories intake, I've lost 35 lbs and shrink my waist from 33" to 29".

I've maintain my current shape for a while now but fluctuate within range of 5-6 lbs.  Every time my weight gain pass the 5 lbs mark I significantly cut down on carbs and increase protein portion and usually I'll lost this 5 lbs gain within 2 weeks period.  Of course my regular gym visit helps too.

qwerty said:
lnc said:

I should have said 29" pant size instead of waist size.  Never actually measure my waist.

And sorry Qwerty, doesn't meant to torment.  I love Taco Bell and other junk food just as much as anyone else but it's just that I'm constantly watch my weight and work out regularly in order to continue my eating habit. 

Paris said:
nosuchreality said:

Paris said:
SoCal said:

Wow! Such intuitive questions - are you a psychiatrist or in this field in some way? I say that because my husband in the past was always the obese friend who barely graduated high school and he was the friend that had a 4 year engineering scholarship to a great Cali college. And my in laws were always telling my hubs "why can't you be like your friend blah blah". And then my husband joined the Marines and got super lean and fit, got out, went to USC got a degree and now is in corporate finance doing really well and makes 4 times his friend's salary. So now he's on top and maybe the friend is jealous.
AND with the new baby he definitely isn't getting enough bedroom action so maybe it's the testosterone? And to top it off the friend is very "macho" like the woman needs to do all the work (home/child) vs my hubs does 50% of the housework so the friend's wife is always "comparing" the 2 friends. Looking at all this - things are coming together in my mind, making sense.

Qwerty thank you for the consultation and offers of support  ;) if you're not joining us in the challenge you can be our motivational support leader, cheering us on. And as a thank you, you may get some private photos of our progress lol ok ok j/k about that...calm down.

My god, I think I may know your husband  :eek:

The California Court Company said:
I guess I will go to my HOA's bathroom (so it won't reveal my house's decor) and take picture in B&W (so it is more difficult to tell my ethnicity). what do you guys want me to write on my abs? TI or SoCal?

cmon man, Socal without a doubt.

Paris said:

maybe ill get a PM with a selfie when you have been drinking :)

qwerty said:
Paris - if you still feel down and out, i offer free packages, large ones at that :) to the ladies of TI to help improve their morale, or self esteem, or just want to feel better after a long day :)

awwww. You're such a good friend, always willing to be supportive in all areas and to lift our spirits!

Anyone know a good personal trainer or a good way to get started on some strenth training?

I maybe want to to do a few sessions to get the grrove of appropriate strength training. As I progress into the 30s I feel like strngtrh training is so important to maintain good curves.

I just downloaded Jefit and the six pack apps on my iphone. Any other good strength training apps?

Paris- for weight lifting, you should probably start with compound movements such as squats, deadlifts, bent over rows, curls, over head presses.  These are great weight lifting exercises to build muscle and to strengthen your core.

Don't know of any good personal trainers but some online tutorial can be beneficial.

FARMMMMMIE said:
Paris- for weight lifting, you should probably start with compound movements such as squats, deadlifts, bent over rows, curls, over head presses.  These are great weight lifting exercises to build muscle and to strengthen your core.

Don't know of any good personal trainers but some online tutorial can be beneficial.

this is way too hard core fore a beginner.  i would just start out with curls using dumb bells for your biceps, tricep pulldowns, that will cover your arms.  for your back and biceps i would do the row machine (this would be equivalent to the bent over row but sitting up), for your legs, i would start out with leg curls (laying face down for your hamstring and sitting up for your quads, perhaps some lunges holding some dumb bells. after a couple of months you can then switch your leg work to deadlifts and squats using the smith machine (the bar is guided by the machine so less chance of getting hurt). once you are used to the smith machine you can switch to free weights for deadlifts/squats, which like Farmiee said are great for building muscle/core strength.

im not a personal trainer but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night :)

Resistance bands!  Great way to get strength training anywhere (not just the gym). You can do curls, pull downs, etc all with the band. The exercises can work your core, obliques, butt, etc as well as the target area. Look up tutorials/videos.

Back