2011: Year of the iPad 2!

The EVO 3D isn't getting glowing reviews.

Seems like the Transformer might be the best selling Honeycomb tablet... Asus knew how to price it and add features that other tablets did not have.

But... saleswise... 2011 is still the year of the iPad 2.

I don't think that is a fair comparison... trying to pull up Ipad2 sales figures, but you can't compare Ipad sales to just ONE Android tablet; just as you can't compare Ipad2 sales to ALL Android tablets...

I think a fair comparison would be Ipad2 sales to only similar spec Android Tablets, such as Xoom, Galaxy Tab 10, Iconia & Transformer... and I'm not even talking about the Playbook...

I don't have time to dig, but I'm going to guess, Android isn't that far behind...  And we're just finishing up Q2... in the smartphone/tablet industry, the world could change in 6 months!

I agree the 3D is just a little gimmicky... but I'm guessing it will sell well... as much as I use my phone, I keep it really lean & mean...!  Don't need a bunch of stuff to clog up the processor...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUf1SL2XToE[/youtube]

We've seen this before, but it is now officially rolled out on the Android Market... again... Coffee & Gingerbread...!  Yummm...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp56vcQZBhY&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

roundcorners said:
I don't think that is a fair comparison... trying to pull up Ipad2 sales figures, but you can't compare Ipad sales to just ONE Android tablet;
Why not? A tablet is a tablet, just because Android is all over the place and fragmented doesn't mean it's not fair to make that comparison.
just as you can't compare Ipad2 sales to ALL Android tablets...
This year, I think you can make that comparison and it would still favor the iPad 2.
I think a fair comparison would be Ipad2 sales to only similar spec Android Tablets, such as Xoom, Galaxy Tab 10, Iconia & Transformer... and I'm not even talking about the Playbook...

I don't have time to dig, but I'm going to guess, Android isn't that far behind...  And we're just finishing up Q2... in the smartphone/tablet industry, the world could change in 6 months!
I'll go on the record here... sales of the iPad 2 in 2011 will be higher than those of all those dual-core 10" tablets... COMBINED.

I believe the iPad 2 is already in the millions, the Honeycombs are in the hundreds of thousands, they need to do a lot of catch-up in the next 6 months.

Reporting live from the Best Buy on Jamboree.. they dont have the Galaxy 10 yet, got delay en route.. be here tomorrow.. really dissapointed..

IMHO.. im not going to debate you... Without numbers, so ill do some digging... IPad sales are around 14 million? Im guessing that is worldwide, including the 1 & 2... That is not suprising seeing as they came to market first... If not end of year, max i see Android taking overipad sales in two-three years...

IMHO if you want to take an early lunch RC wil stil be here for another half hour or so...  Heck let all the TI geeks congregate for an early weekend...

I'm not going to BB if they don't have the Galaxy 10 (although the RC meetup is tempting).

Maybe I'll head to Fry's.

Like I said... 2012+ can be the Year of [insert tablet name here].

I wonder if the tablet market is going to suffer a letdown like the netbook market did... there are already rumors that phone makers are going back to focusing on phones rather than tablets. Are we in a tablet bubble?

The BB on Jamboree is sorry... they aren't even a T-Mobile dealer... so I had to go to the T-Mobile store in Westpark to check out the Sensation... which by the way is fantastic... fast responsive and getting really used to Gingerbread 2.3.3 functions... oh... I'll be happy with anything 2.3 as of now...

The guy at BB did mention that they only have 2 pre-orders for the Galaxy 10, and the other Android Tabs also weren't as responsive as the Ipad of course... what do you expect from Irvine consumers...  Talk to other BB sales repts in Long Beach, Brea, Torrance & they all said the Flyer, Galaxy Tab, Xoom all had fairly good pre-orders and sold briskly...

So yes, Android just need that one blockbuster tablet to unite the overall cause... pulling numbers such as the Nooks, Huawei, Dells, might be impossible...

Here is a fairly good video in comparing the two...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1bkovoLXw4[/youtube]

we just might be in a tablet bubble... a few more tabs that are coming down the pike...

The Andy Pad
andy_pad-small.png.pagespeed.ce.4of6b2UKb-.png

Panasonic's Tough Pad
650-panasonic-toughbook-tab.jpg

Xoom 2
xoom-2.jpg

Saw the Galaxy Tab 10" after work today... very nice tablet but they really need to price it LESS than the iPad2... not the same.

Didn't they learn from the Xoom and the Transformer? More WON'T sell, same MIGHT sell, less WILL sell.

A salesperson team - husband and wife - I saw today had both the IP2 and Xoom. Each of them really disliked the other persons tablet's functions - yes, they are still happily married even with this tech divide. They also felt it helped their business to have a dual platform just in case they ran into a client with a non Apple tablet.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People.

sgip said:
A salesperson team - husband and wife - I saw today had both the IP2 and Xoom. Each of them really disliked the other persons tablet's functions - yes, they are still happily married even with this tech divide. They also felt it helped their business to have a dual platform just in case they ran into a client with a non Apple tablet.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPYromrN7OI[/youtube]

-IR2

Congrats to all who bought your Galaxy Tab 10.1 over the weekend... I can't imagine a better father's day present...  In case you didn't know... people are are already unlocking the bootloader... have fun..!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmNnFgJ_V0I[/youtube]

I am also truly a lucky father & husband... on Mother's day, I got to spend playing around and resetting my phone... on father's day, I got to spend with the kid at Best Buy... again...  So does anyone else notice how many manufacturers repts are at BB now?

I see they are getting really smart... Microsoft had a lady helping with the Kinect, there was the Verizon guy, Direct TV guy, and of course the Samsung 10.1 Guy...

There was a constant line to play with the Tab in Torrance, so I didn't get too much face time... wanted to see how a graphic intensive game would look but couldn't...  The rept poor guy had to work on fathers day... didn't want to give him a hard time... by asking about the Apple-Samsung lawsuits...

Got to meet some other closet Android fans in Torrance... opening weekend will draw out the geeks.. overall what a great weekend...

another commercial...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMW7xDM-XXI[/youtube]

Even a writer on C|Net agrees with me:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20072258-64/the-ipad-is-the-tablet-market-for-now/

It's good that there are all these choices coming out... but that's also causing the same problem it did with the phones, fragmentation. If you're a consumer... which Honeycomb tablet do you get? The Xoom, Iconia, Transformer, Galaxy Tab or other 10" one? What about the 7" ones? Or the 8"? Or the 8.9"? What about the Playbook or the HP Touchpad?

I like the versatility of my TF... but I do recognize the easy of use of the IP2... and while I can run Flash, neither Netflix or Redfin runs as well on Android as they do on the native apps on the IP2.

RE: Fragmentation... isn't Ice Cream Sandwich supposed to help with that?  I thought that part of the requirement that Google wanted for Ice Cream Sandwich was to have the hardware support the OS for at least 18 months?  I personally like having more options.  Isn't competition good for innovation?

It's not just OS fragmentation... it's hardware and UI skins.

The Tab is thinner and lighter... but it doesn't have HDMI, USB or SD expansion. The Iconia has full USB and mini HDMI out but is heavier, thicker and has lower battery life. The TF has mini HDMI out and SD but no USB out unless you put it on the keyboard dock. The Tab had the best chance of being the top Honeycomb tablet but the omission of expansion just made it an iPad wannabee instead of a more than iPad device. And, most of these are not that much cheaper so the average consumer is probably going to want to spend their money on a known product + ecosystem.

Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) is merely going to combine the tablet OS and the phone OS into the same source... but the look will be different per device... and that's not counting the custom UI layer that most of the manufacturers are adding (HTC=Sense, Sammie=TouchWiz, Moto=TheUIThatWillNoLongerBeCalledBlur).

But there will be competition, from within and without... Chrome OS, MS Win8, iOS5 etc etc. I don't think we'll see really GOOD Android tablets until end of this year or next... which by then... the iPad 3 will be forthcoming so it's a race that Apple has built a substantial lead in, not just through number of units, but also generations of hardware, component costs, application space and UI maturity/experience.

IHO... nice article, and all very valid points...  I can say more about the Android shopping experience, but mostly it has been pretty straight forward.  I don't expect much, I guess I don't need to be hand held through it; I'm guessing most Android consumers, at least the ones I've been recently have done tons of their own research and just need to feel the device in person to make the final decision...

I'll give you another anecdote recently with another Android user that I just meet playing around with the Nook Touch at B&N...  we were trying back and forth to get the thing to log-on to Google Reader, Gmail & News... after 15minutes of determination, we managed all but the Gmail... We both felt a overwhelming sense of accomplishment & connection...  It is this "personality" trait since the PC/Mac days that PC users need to tinker, customize and play around with their devices, that gives it such personalization and appeal...

I love the fact that I have not yet encounter one person with the same device I have, let alone the same UI, the same home-screen or widgets; honestly I love the diversity and the fragmentation... I have no problems with it... I do find myself uninstalling certain app updates because I just like the old ones better...  hey... I still think MS Office 97 is the Best most efficient version... and I jump on my Old laptop to use it from time to time...

Just check this guy out... again just with the Simple Touch... they've gotten that little sucker pushed to the e-ink limit...! Crazy..!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ9j70OFjac&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

I actually could care less which Tab sells the most... Just like the PC market, the Android Phone market & eventually the Android Tablet market, Android will eventually take over... not by one manufacturer but collectively...

PC might not ever had the best graphics or the cutest looking icons or animation... I don't think that is the PC/Android spirit... we want to see which crappy bootleg movie can we put on as many screen across as many platforms/devices/operation systems as we can... and push it to the limit to see if it'll work...

Looks like I'll be visiting my nearest Walmart soon... good thing I'm in LA... there should be plenty of locations nearby ^_^...

Iconia A100 - $349
acer_iconia_tab_a100.jpg
http://www.techspot.com/news/44338-...ly-arrives-at-walmart-with-350-price-tag.html

Archos Arnova 7" - $99..!
Archos_99USD_Tablet_689.jpg
http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2011/6/22/archos-launches-2499-android-based-7-tablet.aspx

Vizio Tablet 8" - $349
vizio.JPG
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20073223-17/vizio-teases-8-inch-tablet-as-launch-nears/

This is WHY Android will eventually take over...!  At this rate, I'll be able to afford Tabs for everyone on the x-mas list...!  Maybe we can have several Tabs around the house as Picture Frames...

The Arnova is bad... resistive screen, low rated specs and I think it can only run 2.x.

The best one out of that group is the Iconia... runs Honeycomb... even the Vizio is probably only going to be running 2.x.

Again... there is no doubt that Android will become widespread but I think once you see that consumers aren't buying any single tablet in mass quantities, the choices will thin out, just like the MP3 player market. There is already rumors that some of the phone makers are going back to concentrating on smartphones because the tablet market is not as profitable as they would like it to be.

Here's an exercise for you, tell me which of these guys will still be making tablets in 2012-13.

But I am guilty of irony, my next phone purchase will be an Android and I just bought a Honeycomb tablet. However, we will be getting the iPhone5 in September and of course the magical iPad3 next year.

Archos... just announce two more Tabs...

8 incher at $270 & 10 at $349... yeah, now I'm confused too... are they going to release them all at once?  They all seem to be WiFi only so not one assigned to a specific carrier... humm, this is strange strategy...
archos-g9-tablets-.jpg
http://www.androidcentral.com/archos-announces-pair-g9-android-honeycomb-tablets
oh.. I see... they pretty much got the entire Tab spectrum covered... from $99 to dual core $349...!  Got it...

BB to open early tomorrow for the EVO 3D... be sure to check your location... maybe some of you can hit the stores before work, Looks like Sam's Club will also carry them...

htc-evo-3d.png

I'm not understanding the hard drive... it's just going to make the tablet thicker, heavier and have bad battery life. Mark that one as a boo-boo.

The EVO 3D is one slick slab of technology.. it isn't cheezy as I thought it would, quick and fast processor.. again really digging 2.3.3 with sense 3.0, this how a phone should be, glad I didn't pick up the T-bolt... the 3D is not in your face obvious... Only landscape view, pictures, video and games.. ill be playing spiderman and watching green hornet all day if I could.. BTW no 3d full movies on the thing yet..

My week is complete, Galaxy Tab overclocked to 1.4.. That is what I'm talking about..
sgtab_10.1_overclocked.png

http://m.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-tab-101-overclocked-14ghz?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+androidcentral+%28Android+Central%29

Being a parent means literally your life is over.  I was trying to explain this to a friend of mine over the weekend who after 10 years of marriage still doesn?t have kids; and after 15 minutes of examples and illustrations of how hard the kid is a times, I just have to realize that no matter how much I tried, there is just no use.  Until he pops out a kid for himself, he will never know the blessings and challenges of being a parent.

Yes, the sooner you realize and stop fighting the fact that your life is NOT yours anymore as a parent the sooner you?ll find peace.  Your time, money, resources are NOT yours anymore; your friends, job, career, hobbies and ambitions are NOT yours anymore; if you thought being married has taken your identify away from you; wait till you have kids...!

Can anyone one else tell I had to deal with a sick wife & kid over the weekend again...?  So, in saying all of this, for all you dads out there, this doesn?t mean we all have to kill our hearts.  Yes, having a kid means you can?t do all the things you used to but that doesn?t mean you don?t have any pockets of free time here and there (at home).  So you might have to be on the kitchen table on baby-fever monitor duty for the next hour with but that doesn?t mean the time is wasted.

This is still after-all a post about the all saving graces of the benefits of a smartphone.  Just got my gmail update over the weekend and was able to setup nice labels for everyone of my accounts.  Was able to shoot out a quick prayer request to my bros out there.  Got some work emails taken care of and got some text messages out of the way.  Did my quiet time and was able to catch up one some missed days in the next few minutes.  Read up on some Android news while listening to a bit of last weeks This American Life.

Being a parent means that going to the movie is a thing of the past; who can afford hiring a baby-sitter for at least 4 hours.  With trailers, parking and popcorn that is at least half the day.  But over an weekend, I was able to catch Super 8 on Movie Streamer Lite; its bootleg, but free.  They skip all the trailers and I get to pick up where I left off.  Also, how come no one ever told me about Mystery Guitar Man or FreddyW on Youtube for the past two years...!  Oh yeah that is right, we had a two year old!!!

The phone was also a huge help in getting the right medicine at RiteAid, looking up dosage information and age requirements.  Reading feedback on Babycenter on other homeopathic alternatives to colds & coughs and doctor recommendations.

In saying all of this I?m not one of those dads who are glued to the phone while the kid is trying to get my attention; I?m almost always not looking at the phone while someone is in the room, and I know better to check it when the wife is talking.  But it is totally handy when the desktop and laptop is out of the question.  It is not a cure-all to being a parent, but it sure is handy in recovering some things that keep me sane over a difficult weekend.

Gmail Notifier
https://market.android.com/details?id=org.hubris.gmailnotifierpro&feature=search_result
Your Version - Bible
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.sirma.mobile.bible.android&feature=search_result

Google Reader
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.google.android.apps.reader&feature=search_result

TAL
https://market.android.com/details?id=org.prx.talbot&feature=search_result

In other Tablet Android News...!  Over the weekend... MediaPad - 7inch Android 3.2..!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BpSVHQ0KYo[/youtube]

Back