2011: Year of the iPad 2!

iPad 1 is on clearance for $399 for 16gb wifi.. refurbished is $50 off at $349...  decisions decisions.. 

Xoom has to *beat*, not match iPad 2 pricing.

Rumors of it selling at Sam's Club for $539 is compelling and I really want an Android tablet to play with but a few issues:

1. No Netflix
2. Bigger and heavier than iPad 2 (and iPad 1)
3. Not many apps out for Honeycomb yet

The no Netflix I can deal with because I can sideload movies but the size and weight are something to think about.

Samsung will be unveiling an 8.9" Galaxy Tab on March 22:

[youtube]FPmHomARu84[/youtube]

But even with all this competition... you're still going to owe me a San Marino home.

Pulled the trigger on a refurb iPad 1 32 gb for $429 from the apple store.  It cost $170 more for the iPad 2, don't really care for the 2nd camera nor the expensive cover.  The gyrometer and chip might be better for gaming, but I don't plan to use the iPad for that.  Probably use it to play Yo Gabba Gabba on vacations with my family,

Wifey got her iP2 the other day.

She didn't want to spend the extra $130 for 3G or the extra data plan cost but now wants to upgrade to a phone she can tether the iPad to... sheesh.

irvinehomeowner said:
Wifey got her iP2 the other day.

She didn't want to spend the extra $130 for 3G or the extra data plan cost but now wants to upgrade to a phone she can tether the iPad to... sheesh.

iOS 4.3 allows tethering right?

I agree... if your phone tethers... you don't need 3G on the iPad.

But I think a lot of people don't want to deal with the hassle of it... and you'll be draining battery on your phone much more by using 3G and WiFi. With so many hotspots around, I actually don't see the need... but maybe she thinks she'll be stuck in the desert somewhere and won't be able to get on BananaRepublic.com.

Plus I tell her if she wants to buy a house in Tustin Ranch, there's no 3G service there anyways. :p

crap, AT&T is selling iPad 1 w/ Wi-Fi + 3G 64GB for $529...  wonder if I can return my 32 GB refurb I just bought.

I guess there is no recession on the Talk Irvine board.  Lol.  Using my ancient iPad one to type this.  Our household can drain this sucker twice in a day.  We use it way too often.

I like how they priced the 8.9" ($469 for WiFi 16GeeBees).

Samsung knows what's up... except for release date.

By the time these come out, iPad 2s will be in full stock everywhere and consumers will just buy those instead of waiting for Sammy.

It's funny, they u-turned twice, they said they would have to re-tool the 10.1 after seeing how thin the iPad 2 was and then said they would not re-tool it and release it as is.  Well, it was re-tooled but I guess they get a pass because they are still going to release the old 10.1, just in Europe, the US will only get the new 10.1.

Needless to say, I'm going to get one of those 8.9ers unless the Rim Playbook is better... and though I hate UI layers, the new TouchWiz looks pretty good.

Just got my refurb iPad 32gb, so what's a good case for this baby?  Great screen...  will have fun with this.. wish they have more native apps for iPad, blown up iPhone apps don't look to good..

Depends on what kind of case you are looking for.

Many now have those built in foldable option to create different viewing angles. One that I saw was pretty good was the Targus 360 because it's the only one that allows you to rotate the case so that you can stand it up in portrait or landscape mode... it's just a bit thicker than others.

For the iPad 1, a case that gets good reviews is the InCase Magazine Portfolio (I think that's the name), low profile and multiple viewing stand angles. It's supposed to be better than the Apple one.

The RIM  Playbook is out.

Pretty nice actually... but they priced it exactly like the iPad 2.

It's been reported they sold 45,000 in one day.... 20,000 via pre-order so that explains the lack of lines.

Something that I think will compete well is the ASUS Transformer, it's running Android 3.0 (Honeycomb) and comes in at $100 less than the iPad... $399 to start. And it has a cool keyboard dock accessory that "transforms" it into a netbook ($150 extra).

Apples Q2 revenue and earnings were ridiculous because of the VZW iPhone and the iPad 2 but it would have been higher if not for the shortages of the iPad 2. I still think 2011 will be the Year of the iPad 2... we are just going to see a lot more Android tablets trying to position themselves for 2012.

I agree that the new redesigned 10.1 Tab is awesome (they had to go back and retool it after seeing how thin the iPad2 was) but it won't sell as many units as the iPad2... not in 2011.

And I will probably be buying the just-as-thin Galaxy Tab 8.9, I prefer the smaller form factor.

The issue here is just like Android phones, there are too many Honeycomb tablets and that's going to cause issues with consumers... do I get the Xoom? The Asus or Acer? Or the Galaxy Tabs?

There is something to be said for "closed" product lines as it keeps it simple for the average buyer. Techies will be all over the various Honeycomb tablets but I find myself in the same situation as they would be... do I buy several (remember there is also the Playbook and the WebOS HP tablet) or do I wait for something better this fall (when the Tegra 3 tablets are supposed to come out). Even Amazon is coming out with their own tablets and B&N is gearing up for another Nook tablet.

And... if you read that review closely, Honeycomb is still learning to walk, maybe 3.1 will be better. Sorry Starlight, 2011 is still the year of the iPad 2.

Are you channeling IndieDev now?

What tablet will sell the most in 2011 (you can even combine the Honeycomb tablets together)?

I've already said 2012 and on will be a different story.

Starlight East said:
That would be iPad2, but with crumbling market share it does not make it the year of the iPad2.

That's like saying 1925 (or whatever year that was) was the year of Titanic. Even when it started to sink it still was the biggest ship of the world.
To quote the genius Dave from AZ... you're moving the goal posts.

By general definition, Year of the iPad2 means that the iPad2 will sell the most tablets that year, even if market share crumbles.

And using your example, 1912 was still the year when Titanic was the largest steam passenger ship... its sinking did not change that fact.

In 2012, when the iPad3 with the Retina Display comes out, do you think it will outsell any other single model of Android tablet?

Any thoughts on what Apple is going to announce this Thursday for their 10-year retail store anniversary?

Back