2011: Year of the iPad 2!

jvna said:
Where are you supposed to be able to buy the new Galaxy Tab 10.1?
It should be at most retailers on June 8.

I would recommend Amazon because:

a) No tax (if from Amazon).
b) No shipping (usually for standard shipping).
c) No CA recycle fee.

My mom and I bought an iPad2 for my mom's bf (his birthday) and he LOVES it.  He's like a little kid in a candy store with it.  I'm not an Apple fanboy, but I must say that it is pretty neat.

I'm thinking about the revised Galaxy Tab 10.1 when it's released on June 8th.  I'm leaning away from the iPad 2 and here are my thoughts why based on some reading.  You have to use iTunes to transfer between iPad and other devices.  No USB for external drives/memory card.

Main use will be for video (kids during long flights), casual browsing, calendaring and games (kids).

The Galaxy Tab 10.1 is one sleek unit... and while it does have USB... it's been reported that it does not have an SD card slot (why is so weird considering the Galaxy Tab 7 did) so you can't expand the memory.

I've been playing with the Honeycomb UI for a while and while I like the ability to customize it, the simplicity of iOS does make the iPad2 a better choice for mainstream consumers. I think that's one of the big hurdles for Android tablets is the usability learning curve.

I'll probably be looking at the Galaxy Tab 8.9 because I do feel the 10" form factor is too big.

It's too bad Asus is having problems producing the Trandsformer.  I'd like to have a look at that.

jvna said:
It's too bad Asus is having problems producing the Trandsformer.  I'd like to have a look at that.
I've read those are beginning to get easier to find... Asus has been ramping up production and you can find them regularly online. I saw one at Fry's the other day.

IHO.. here you are.. been waiting for a response over at the other site... which Tab did you get??

NEWS FLASH EVERYONE...  Just came back from Best Buy today...  The HTC Flyer has just changed the rules on everyone... same 7" screen as the G-Tab, but so much cooler...  Like I said, the widgets on other Honeycomb tab just look so much like phone widgets, so I get how it can seem like a larger learning curve for the new Android user, the Flyer uses the latest Gingerbread version, very user friendly, yes I am HTC biased with the Sense everything just seems very logical.  This Gingerbread feels like how Honeycomb should be.

Very easy to use, large widgets, very cool 3D effects & I can just look at the Weather widget all day of the different cities around the world.  The Flyer is tight and compact, very stylish with the stylus; again very easy and intuitive to use.  You won't have any issues going from the phone right onto the Flyer, the price tag is a bit much, but well worth it...

The two Best Buys that I've visited all said it is selling very well; again, not battery swap, but who does... love the cameras, animation, all the apps work great, and the stock movie trailers look great...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OjHf5Nrkag[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0pL2t2_CIw[/youtube]

If you have an iPhone... getting an iPad would be good because you're already familiar with the interface... and apps you've bought for the iPhone will work on the iPad.

As RC said... Android, even Honeycomb, has a bit of a learning curve and if you're used to iOS... it may seem foreign. I'm still trying to figure out certain things on Honeycomb.

To answer RC's question, I've been playing with an Acer Iconia A500... but I really want the Asus Transfomer... it's just hard to find. I haven't even seen one at Best Buy yet... supposedly Fry's gets them but I never see them on display.

I don't mind the learning curve. Which tablet do you prefer over the iPad? I don't have iPhone or iPad but am looking to get finally get an iphone and join the rest of the 21 century. Just don't want to get an iPad as well if my use for it would overlap. Any functionality I can get from other tablet of your choice that's > iPad?

If I were to get a tablet, I'd be leaning towards an Android based tablet.  The Asus Transformer or revised Galaxy Tab 10.1 due out on June 8th look good to me.  I'm not a fan of iTunes or Apples DRM.

I prefer the Transformer right now... only because the $150 add-on keyboard dock makes it a second gadget, a netbook, and extends the battery life another 6+ hours.

That may change once I see the new Galaxy Tabs (specifically the 8.9" one) and the HP Touchpad (runs WebOS). If Samsung slimmed down the Galaxy Tab 7 like they did with the 10.1 and made the resolution higher... I would go for that.

Asus is also coming out with new stuff later this year.

Going to be some hard choices.

It was in Asia. I like the fact you can get the keyboard with it, but for an additional 100 some bucks. + other ports, unlike iPad.

The Iconia is nice, but a little on the heavy side & just a tad bit large...  You should be getting an over the air update from this article that I've ran into...
http://www.androidcentral.com/acer-iconia-tab-a500-system-update-v114107-rolling-out-some-users

Not the full Android version update but a system software update...  looks like some people say WiFi is really improved...

I don't know, I guess it doesn't make that much of a difference, but I like the idea of carrying around the G-Tab or Flyer in a blazer pocket, not that I would but a jean back pocket or one of my pockets in my cargo pants or shorts...  There isn't really anything I need a screen that large to carry around...

Hey IHO have you checked out Samsung Galaxy Mini?  I know you were interested in a smaller screen phone...?

Also checked out the Echo from Sprint; neat idea, with the dual touch screen it make a great small Tablet, but the split screen is a bit distracting, and the keyboard is a bit easier to use but it makes for a thick phone...  I guess the ideal size of a Tab would be 7" for me...

But then I'm getting really use to typing up pages of stuff on my 3.7" touch screen & it works just great...!

Samsung-Galaxy-Mini.jpg

Sprint-Echo110314192655-420x378.jpg

The Galaxy Mini is too small... something like the Incredible would be great but seems like most Android superphones are going 4" or higher.

The Echo is a beast, I played with it at Sprint and it's large. The fold out mechanism is pretty cool but having dual screens is a huge battery drain. Not even sure who will buy it.

The Iconia is big... will probably return for the Transformer when I can find one. I like how the Iconia has a full size USB port on it... the Windows version of it is actually interesting as it has a keyboard dock too (although not as nice as the Asus one).

I plan to use the 10" tablet for work to take notes and replace my "manual" notebook that I have. It's smaller, lighter and can "do more"... can't make paper planes out of it but at least it's less messy. Just can't find a good (and free) notepad app that can combine typing and drawing on the same page.

Back