Yulin Dog Meat Eating Festival

qwerty said:
this is pretty damn sad. i dont care if its a cultural thing. it doesnt make it right or acceptable. common sense tells you dont kill any animal for consumption by skinning it alive.  im sure there are farmers here who dont follow all the rules as seen by some of those under cover stings by PETA but we are light years away from where China is.  Hopefully the animal lovers in China make progress on how to kill animals for consumption in a more humane manner. 

Maybe next year ill go to Yulin and skin of those fuckers alive, cut their dick and balls off and shove it down their fucking throat while they are still alive.

One of the articles mentioned that their saying goes: "The more pain and fear an animal suffers, the better the meat."

??? Yeah, reveling in torture is pretty sick.

SoCal said:
qwerty said:
this is pretty damn sad. i dont care if its a cultural thing. it doesnt make it right or acceptable. common sense tells you dont kill any animal for consumption by skinning it alive.  im sure there are farmers here who dont follow all the rules as seen by some of those under cover stings by PETA but we are light years away from where China is.  Hopefully the animal lovers in China make progress on how to kill animals for consumption in a more humane manner. 

Maybe next year ill go to Yulin and skin of those fuckers alive, cut their dick and balls off and shove it down their fucking throat while they are still alive.

One of the articles mentioned that their saying goes: "The more pain and fear an animal suffers, the better the meat."

Weird. Makes it seem even more made up.  Generally butches like relaxed animals to get more tender meat.  Just not adding up.

jmoney74 said:
SoCal said:
qwerty said:

Weird. Makes it seem even more made up.  Generally butches like relaxed animals to get more tender meat.  Just not adding up.

Don't you remember the monkey brain scene in "Faces of Death"?  It's the experience, not the taste that matters.

jmoney74 said:
Generally butches like relaxed animals to get more tender meat.  Just not adding up.

Sorry... what do gay women have to do with this? I read the whole thread but I must have missed something.

SoCal said:
jmoney74 said:
Generally butches like relaxed animals to get more tender meat.  Just not adding up.

Sorry... what do gay women have to do with this? I read the whole thread but I must have missed something.

Are you joking?

It was a typo.... Butchers.

Like kobe steak. They like them cows relaxed.

I don't want to get into the whole debate of whether eating certain animals is worse than eating others, because I understand that that's not the point.

What I fail to understand is why fingers are always pointed at the Chinese for eating dog meat (and the torture) but the eating or wanting to eat foie gras is viewed more (relatively) favorably. And suckling pig. And boiling lobsters alive. Why is there this cultural double standard?

And just to be clear : I am not Chinese. I don't eat meat. And I don't judge others that do. I think choices like these are personal and tricky to moralize. I obviously don't condone animal torture. But I am curious why this hypocrisy and double standard exists.

qwerty said:

If you go to Yulin I'm coming with you!!  :mad:
I know I got overly excited about the festival being cancelled but it wasn't. Really heart breaking. I cannot even open those articles to look at the images
All we can truly do is support animal rights activist groups who are working VERY hard to be a voice for these innocent souls

jmoney74 said:
SoCal said:
qwerty said:

jmoney it's not an exaggeration, just google the images from previous festivals and it will break your heart. It shows the animals being tortured.

And whome you're right, humane killing of all animals should be an important issue. But dropping a lobster into boiling water it dies instantly. Skinning a dog to death is simply put inhumane.  We are carnivores and we consume meat but we are intelligent beings that should kill humanely for the purpose of food consumption.

It's a big debate but festivals like this meant to torture animals we bond with, animals that we have seen show emotion similar to human emotion - these animals deserve better. Awareness is the first step and supporting the fight is the next. Final step would be to go to Yulin with Qwerty and kick their asses.

whome said:
I don't want to get into the whole debate of whether eating certain animals is worse than eating others, because I understand that that's not the point.

What I fail to understand is why fingers are always pointed at the Chinese for eating dog meat (and the torture) but the eating or wanting to eat foie gras is viewed more (relatively) favorably. And suckling pig. And boiling lobsters alive. Why is there this cultural double standard?

And just to be clear : I am not Chinese. I don't eat meat. And I don't judge others that do. I think choices like these are personal and tricky to moralize. I obviously don't condone animal torture. But I am curious why this hypocrisy and double standard exists.

i dont have a double standard. i agree with you that all of those things are cruel. it just so happens that this particular discussion is on dogs being tortured at a chinese festival. if you start a thread on the other topics ill chime in there as well. this isnt a race thing for me.

image.jpg2_zpsdz7cpmui.jpg

A dog seeking affection from the butcher.

image.jpg1_zps4rfqwzci.jpg

This is an interactive game that everyone could participate in the festival. 12 people circle around the dog and the dog run in different direction it get a shovel blow to the face each time.

This one is super fun to watch as kids and grandparents were the spectators cheering their dads with the sticks beating the defenseless dog tied to the pole. Kids giggle and the laughter as they see the dog limping and running around in the circle. When the rope wrapped entirely around and around the pole the dog could no longer run. That is when the final blow that end its misery.  Kids and adults clapped and cheered for the victory. Moms do the preparation like ripping out the guts, heart, lungs and genitals. What a nice family activity!

The kids then said if someday I grow up I want to go to America and open a Chinese restaurant in Tijuana and offer the customers the cuisine of my culture.

image.jpg3_zpswtgchgsr.jpg
w

I masked the second photo because of the children's identity.

qwerty said:
whome said:

i dont have a double standard. i agree with you that all of those things are cruel. it just so happens that this particular discussion is on dogs being tortured at a chinese festival. if you start a thread on the other topics ill chime in there as well. this isnt a race thing for me.

I didn't mean to pick on you or on this particular discussion. I've just encountered this 'oh the Chinese eat dogs, how weird/low/barbaric (insert adjective)' several times and decided to wonder aloud on this forum..:)

I am an equal opportunity racist. I don't discriminate. I don't suck up because the mainlanders have money like the rest of you hoping that one day the mainlanders will buy your resale.

zubs said:
We talked about this back in 2011 on the old dog BBQ thread.  IHS was saying that Chinese culture is on a lower tier than Western culture because Chinese still eat dog.  I asked him if it's ok to eat cow, then what's wrong with dog.  His retort was that dogs have higher brain function and are companions for people, and not food.  Eating dog is low class.

In anycase, he was trying to make the point that mainland Chinese are low class because their culture still allow dogs to be eaten.  And then he posted all the dog bbq pics.  I've been to China.  I've seen the caged dogs being driven on a flat bed to a slaughter house.  They looked sad....Years later I tried it.....don't remember what it tastes like anymore.

IHS is from HK so he was born with innate hate for the mainlanders.

Back