What went wrong?

Sorry I can't disclose my next 5 projects. All will be ready by this Thanksgiving. Stay tune when the time is right for me to disclose info here or check with Landofnoland.com if you can't wait.

eyephone said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
I am totally aware of the heavy influx of immigrants. Their trail is nothing but destruction and undesirable environment. Hacienda Hts, Rowland Heights, Arcadia, Monterey Park, Temple City, Rosemead, Brea, Diamond Bar, Chino Hills are just a few of the examples that are less desirable than 15 year ago. Both GG and Westminster are just the same even FV and a part of HB are undesirable.

As much as possible I go out of the way to design architectural styles and lifestyle floor plans that appeal to the white, Indians, middle easterners and well assimilated Asians. Ellwood I deliberately designed to the diversities. The cottages are not the FCB style. FCBs love the Sbrenish styles. I am interested in a balanced demographic and I will deliberately position the stairs and powder near the front door to ward off FCBs. At other locations I will design a loft overlooking a IHO volume space just for the FCBs.

So did you design all other new homes with rooftop decks?

irvinehomeshopper said:
Property increased value does not mean the place is desirable. Highland Park and Lincoln Heights properties went up 3x from 15 years ago. Both are not desirable place to be. It is perception and emotion.

paydawg said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
I am totally aware of the heavy influx of immigrants. Their trail is nothing but destruction and undesirable environment. Hacienda Hts, Rowland Heights, Arcadia, Monterey Park, Temple City, Rosemead, Brea, Diamond Bar, Chino Hills are just a few of the examples that are less desirable than 15 year ago. Both GG and Westminster are just the same even FV and a part of HB are undesirable.

What makes you think these cities are less desirable now than 15 years ago?  It can be based on property values alone, because those have definitely gone up in some (if not all) of those areas.  Is it the rate of the property value appreciation? 

Since desirability is all about "perception and emotion", do you think it's fair to make such blanket statements?  Since desirability is a subjective concept, isn't it appropriate for each person to make up their own mind on this? 

paydawg said:
  But Irvine is better than all of them because it has it's own job center.
The IBC and Spectrum are the reasons for Irvine's success.  Without the world class IBC and up and coming Spectrum commercial centers, Irvine would be just another Mission Viejo.  The visionaries who created the original Irvine master plan included the IBC in that plan and Irvine has profited from it since the beginning.  This is something the neighboring bedroom cities never understood.  You can have the highest scoring schools but if you have no high wage employment, you are not going to amount to much.

Irvine will not become Hacienda Hts, Rowland Heights, Arcadia, Monterey Park, Temple City, Rosemead, Brea, Diamond Bar, Chino Hills because those places do not have anything close to an IBC or Spectrum.  Sorry, top investment banks or law firms will not open offices in Temple City.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Sorry I can't disclose my next 5 projects. All will be ready by this Thanksgiving. Stay tune when the time is right for me to disclose info here or check with Landofnoland.com if you can't wait.

eyephone said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

As much as possible I go out of the way to design architectural styles and lifestyle floor plans that appeal to the white, Indians, middle easterners and well assimilated Asians. Ellwood I deliberately designed to the diversities. The cottages are not the FCB style. FCBs love the Sbrenish styles. I am interested in a balanced demographic and I will deliberately position the stairs and powder near the front door to ward off FCBs. At other locations I will design a loft overlooking a IHO volume space just for the FCBs.

Can I make a blanket statement that those 5 projects will not be desirable?  Cottages and rooftop decks lead to destruction and undesirable environment.

There are or has been communities with roof top decks. Seems like every other developer are doing this.

irvinehomeshopper said:

eyephone said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

paydawg said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

eyephone said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

Can I make a blanket statement that those 5 projects will not be desirable?  Cottages and rooftop decks lead to destruction and undesirable environment.

I was wondering about the roof. Would it be prone to leaks, since the roof is flat?

I started this trend 6 years ago. I am still first in Irvine!
eyephone said:
There are or has been communities with roof top decks. Seems like every other developer are doing this.

irvinehomeshopper said:

eyephone said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

Every shopping center has a flat roof and so are all the office buildings in the Spectrum. Why don't you ask them?

eyephone said:
paydawg said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

eyephone said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

I was wondering about the roof. Would it be prone to leaks, since the roof is flat?

My quick research:
a traditional has more structure and stability than a flat roof. From what I read, flat roofs require inspections and more maintenance.

Note: I am not an expert in roofs nor claim to be.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Every shopping center has a flat roof and so are all the office buildings in the Spectrum. Why don't you ask them?

eyephone said:
paydawg said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

eyephone said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

Your building a new guest house?

irvinehomeshopper said:
I don't recall giving you permission to tear down the guest house on my property?

eyephone said:
I have a story to share with you, btw I am designing a new place.

(Did I get the angle right?)

Flat roof is much more expensive to build than the 4:12 pitch roof. Home builders will always gravitate to cheapest roofs. The guys standing in front of Home Depots know how to build a 4:12 pitch roof. When building a flat roof the trades often are union. Modern house construction is 160% the the cost of a Spanish house. The flat roof is not really flat. The city mandates a 4% on the roof pitch and all crickets must be at least 2-1/2%. City of Irvine has stringent code enforcement. City would not issue a certificate of occupancy unless the home meets the building and safety standard. Flat roofs leak because of bad and unqualified trades building them. When it's built properly it performs at it life expantancy before reroofing just like any pitch roof.

Yes I own property big enough that there is no issue with multiple dwelling units on one lot. I can fit an entire 8 pack into my yard if I wanted to. At some point I ditched the HOA and CC&R and got tired of them. However most concerned Irvine homeowners need them to Nazi the Chinese Mainlanders or bad taste immigrants from ruining Irvine like GG, Westminster and SGV No one in my neighborhood would ever build an apartment in their yard like Arcadia or Alhambra.

eyephone said:
Mdu?

irvinehomeshopper said:
I don't planning on tearing down my guest house anytime soon.

eyephone said:
Your building a new guest house?

irvinehomeshopper said:
I don't recall giving you permission to tear down the guest house on my property?

eyephone said:
I have a story to share with you, btw I am designing a new place.

(Did I get the angle right?)

For many who think GG is Garbage Grove it's early success as a city numerous hospitals wanted to be in this city. Just like Irvine many medical facilities are located in the city limit. Per GG early zoning only one hospital was allowed in the city and it's successful civic center. The Orange County Medical Center was cleverly built at the border of GG but not in GG. There was already the GG hospital in the city. The City Shopping center (now the Outlet at Orange) and office complexes developed half in Orange and the other in GG. It's glamorous years have long faded but it's early influence shaped an important part of OC history.

Getting back to the OC Medical Center. UCI staff fought for the hospital to be on campus but ultimately both politic and resources forced the decision to update the former OCMC into the current UCI Medical Center in the intersection of GG, SA, Anaheim and Orange. 10 steps in any direction one could be in a different city. GG dictated UCI's future. Prominent doctors back then lived in custom estates in GG and SA. The County family court, Jail and animal Center were all drawing the worker population from the nearby GG. GG was the Irvine of OC 50 year ago.

Chapman and Katella was planned to be the business corridor. WWII and the war years halted the plan. Angel Stadium was a part of the master plan east of GG and so was the ice hockey arena. Ironically Anaheim wanted these facilities to be near GG rather than downtown Anaheim by Lincoln and Harbor knowing that GG was a better neighbor and classier.

irvinehomeshopper said:
For many who think GG is Garbage Grove it's early success as a city numerous hospitals wanted to be in this city. Just like Irvine many medical facilities are located in the city limit. Per GG early zoning only one hospital was allowed in the city and it's successful civic center. The Orange County Medical Center was cleverly built at the border of GG but not in GG. There was already the GG hospital in the city. The City Shopping center (now the Outlet at Orange) and office complexes developed half in Orange and the other in GG. It's glamorous years have long faded but it's early influence shaped an important part of OC history.

Getting back to the OC Medical Center. UCI staff fought for the hospital to be on campus but ultimately both politic and resources forced the decision to update the former OCMC into the current UCI Medical Center in the intersection of GG, SA, Anaheim and Orange. 10 steps in any direction one could be in a different city. GG dictated UCI's future. Prominent doctors back then lived in custom estates in GG and SA. The County family court, Jail and animal Center were all drawing the worker population from the nearby GG. GG was the Irvine of OC 50 year ago.

Chapman and Katella was planned to be the business corridor. WWII and the war years halted the plan. Angel Stadium was a part of the master plan east of GG and so was the ice hockey arena. Ironically Anaheim wanted these facilities to be near GG rather than downtown Anaheim by Lincoln and Harbor knowing that GG was a better neighbor and classier.

Very interesting facts and thanks for sharing your knowledge. I didn't know how how centered UCI Medical Center was. And to have the name UCI Medical center in the middle of those cities and why its there, now makes sense to me.

So where will Irvine be in 50 years is the BIG UNKNOWN right now. Do you fore see that it could happen like Garbage Grove?

Irvine is different from GG. One Irvine land baron controls all land asset. Without competition and careful development protect all future land value. GG had too many agricultural land barons under mining each others' land value just like supermarkets in Little Saigon that kept lowering prices to attract customers.

Irvine development is coming to an end. Bren's legacy is complete. The most talented and the seasoned of the in house design group were let go several years ago ranging from master planning, land planning, apartment development and etc.

You are the generation that will witness the end of development on the Irvine Ranch. There will be no more new homes to benchmark or illogically raise the price ceiling.

Without new growth the entire City will have to adopt a new way of thinking. City will have to adapt and survive without permit fees and other big ticket items. The political direction will have to serve the people rather than serving the corporate constituents.

TIC will be a property management company. It's portfolio has already expanded to many other cities in the US including locally the platinum triangle and Silicon Valley.

As the company no longer sell new homes property value protection will not be of the company's interest.

The focus will be to deter people from buying homes and to rent forever.

Most of north OC suffered from the lack of overall planning and white flight.  Whites moved to MV and then Irvine...immigrants moved into GG, Anaheim, and Westminster

Back