To EV or not to EV, that is the question

@OS:

With all your stay at home kids, wired equipment, EV and AC... how are you staying at < $100 when others can't get below $150?

The summer saver discount?

thatOSguy said:
irvinehomeowner said:
@OS:

With all your stay at home kids, wired equipment, EV and AC... how are you staying at < $100 when others can't get below $150?

Yes. It's a $51 discount.

Here's a snip of the most recent bill, mid June to mid July:

SCE%2520due%2520aug.JPG

Here's the same usage on a standard residential rate, sans summer saver:

comparedtoreg.JPG

So the crazy thing is TOU was actually more expensive this month. I'd have been better off doing a standard rate rather than TOU; my bill would have been $67 ($118 usage - $51 saver) instead of $107 ($158 usage - $51 saver).

But it works the other direction in the winter.

Fluff piece on CNN about a guy who spreadsheeted his attempts at intimacy with his wife and the results of each attempt-- they didnt mention names, but i'm thinking i might know his TI alias.

irvinehomeowner said:
In the beginning, you don't have enough time for a spreadsheet... later on... you don't have enough data for a spreadsheet.

:)

LOL! 
The entries were pretty much all the same "No," followed by an excuse, "I'm all sweaty,"  "I feel gross,"  "I need to shower [then never showered]."  Amusing  :'(

thatOSguy said:
So the "problem" with my EV situation is that work offers free charging.

For last month, parity between TOU and a standard rate would have been another 151 kWh of EV usage. If I didn't have a work charger, I'd have consumed another ~192 kWh, and the TOU would have been < standard rate.

On the other hand, in winter months, the non-EV usage plummets, and the TOU-based bill is actually cheaper than if I had a regular bill even if when comparing without the electric vehicle. Crazytown.

So on oversharing... you've got my cable bill, now my electric bill - ready to talk water and gas?  :-X
I don't have a cable bill. Just $7 a month for Netflix.  :p

thatOSguy said:
irvinehomeowner said:
@OS:

Yes. It's a $51 discount.

Here's a snip of the most recent bill, mid June to mid July:

SCE%2520due%2520aug.JPG

Here's the same usage on a standard residential rate, sans summer saver:

comparedtoreg.JPG

So the crazy thing is TOU was actually more expensive this month. I'd have been better off doing a standard rate rather than TOU; my bill would have been $67 ($118 usage - $51 saver) instead of $107 ($158 usage - $51 saver).

But it works the other direction in the winter.

I guess it depends if a person on the following factors;
1. Pure EV or Plug in
2. If a person stays home during the day
3. If you have a Smart thermostat that runs during the day

Correct me if I'm wrong. But if the answer is Plug in, No, No then the plan makes sense?

O Hills said:
irvinehomeowner said:
In the beginning, you don't have enough time for a spreadsheet... later on... you don't have enough data for a spreadsheet.

:)

LOL! 
The entries were pretty much all the same "No," followed by an excuse, "I'm all sweaty,"  "I feel gross,"  "I need to shower [then never showered]."  Amusing  :'(

this is the importance of the 80% rule.  she starts to act like this you kick her to the curb and you wont have to pay much in the way of alimony.

I guess it depends if a person on the following factors;
1. Pure EV or Plug in

Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question, but is an EV different from a plug in?

thatOSguy said:
O Hills said:
qwerty said:
an EV is a pure electric vehicle (leaf), a plug in is a plug in hybrid (toyota prius)

So, you are less likely to actually plug in a "plug-in" than a pure EV?

When you're on electricity, it costs < 3 cents per mile. Gas is ~10 cents per mile.

If you want to enjoy those cost savings, yeah, plug it in.
Difference is that you have to plug in the EV car so it won't go nowhere if the battery charge is close to 0%.  There are days that I forget to plug in my Prius and it's fine.  My gas cost is closer to 7-8 center per mile so it's not as big of a deal if I forget to charge the car. 

thatOSguy said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
thatOSguy said:
O Hills said:
qwerty said:
an EV is a pure electric vehicle (leaf), a plug in is a plug in hybrid (toyota prius)

So, you are less likely to actually plug in a "plug-in" than a pure EV?

When you're on electricity, it costs < 3 cents per mile. Gas is ~10 cents per mile.

If you want to enjoy those cost savings, yeah, plug it in.
Difference is that you have to plug in the EV car so it won't go nowhere if the battery charge is close to 0%.  There are days that I forget to plug in my Prius and it's fine.  My gas cost is closer to 7-8 center per mile so it's not as big of a deal if I forget to charge the car.

I was using a crude average. 50 mpg @ $4/gallon is 8 cents. Accord, Ford Fusion, C-Max, Volt get ~40mpg; at $4/gallon, 10 cents per mile.
Yup, the other cars get slightly worse gas mileage than the plug-in Prius.  My electric charge only lasts about 10-12 miles (depends on how fast I'm driving or how much I brake).  My gas mileage goes down to about 40-45mpg when I'm driving to Vegas on the open highway going 80+ mph. 

Back