To EV or not to EV, that is the question

I'm waiting for a bigger EV.

Since most of my driving is local... I could probably use one. If I'm paying over $200 in gas a month, if an EV lease is sub $300, it's probably a good trade.

irvinehomeowner said:
I'm waiting for a bigger EV.

Since most of my driving is local... I could probably use one. If I'm paying over $200 in gas a month, if an EV lease is sub $300, it's probably a good trade.

The new Tesla model x?

thatOSguy said:
Do you drive more than 30 miles to your job?

Yes? Buy or lease a plugin.
No? Lease a Leaf for $200-300 per month.

Again, on a good day, gasoline is 10 cents per mile. On a bad day, electricity is 3 cents per mile.

Paying outrageous prices for gas or sitting in traffic makes no sense.

#primetime
There's so many deals right now, as they want to clear inventory for the 2015 models.

thatOSguy said:

Again, on a good day, gasoline is 10 cents per mile. On a bad day, electricity is 3 cents per mile.

#primetime
On gas, my plug-in Prius gets 50+mpg...with the charge that puts me 55-65mpg

USCTrojanCPA said:
thatOSguy said:

#primetime

damn tree hugger :)

USCTrojanCPA said:
thatOSguy said:

#primetime
Nice

qwerty said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
thatOSguy said:

#primetime

If I'm not mistaken, don't you own a hybrid?

eyephone said:
qwerty said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
thatOSguy said:

#primetime

nope. we talked about getting one, but my wifes commute isnt as bad as we thought, primarily because she leaves relatively early. ive thought about getting a golf cart to cruise around the neighborhood though. perhaps take the family to the pool now that i have a key fob.

qwerty said:
eyephone said:
qwerty said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
thatOSguy said:

#primetime

nope. we talked about getting one, but my wifes commute isnt as bad as we thought, primarily because she leaves relatively early. ive thought about getting a golf cart to cruise around the neighborhood though. perhaps take the family to the pool now that i have a key fob.
Get your wife a plugin with a green HOV sticker. She can practically fly to work. (Assuming she uses the fwy to work)

qwerty said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
thatOSguy said:

#primetime

Considering that the GT3 gets about 14-15mpg around town (6-7mpg at the track), I'm just balancing things out.  haha

USCTrojanCPA said:
qwerty said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
thatOSguy said:

#primetime

Considering that the GT3 gets about 14-15mpg around town (6-7mpg at the track), I'm just balancing things out.  haha
When you bought it, did you get zero percent interest rate and cash back? (or maybe you bought it cash)

eyephone said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
qwerty said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
thatOSguy said:

#primetime

When you bought it, did you get zero percent interest rate and cash back? (or maybe you paid all cash)

eyephone said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
qwerty said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
thatOSguy said:

#primetime

When you bought it, did you get zero percent interest rate and cash back? (or maybe you bought it cash)
Yeah, I bought it in late Oct 2012 when they were trying to clear out the 2012s for the 2013s.  Got 0% for 5-years along with a $1,500 discount on top of paying $200 under invoice (you had to finance it with at least $10k to get the $1,500 discount....I financed 100% since the rate was 0%).  Then of course I got the $1,500 CA credit and a $2,500 federal tax credit. 

USCTrojanCPA said:
eyephone said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
qwerty said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
thatOSguy said:

#primetime

Yeah, I bought it in late Oct 2012 when they were trying to clear out the 2012s for the 2013s.  Got 0% for 5-years along with a $1,500 discount on top of paying $200 under invoice (you had to finance it with at least $10k to get the $1,500 discount....I financed 100% since the rate was 0%).  Then of course I got the $1,500 CA credit and a $2,500 federal tax credit.

Great deal! Did you change your SCE plan to the home and electrical vehicle plan? If you charge your car between the hours 12am to 6am the rate is 9 cents.

For our 3rd car, we got a Ford Focus EV.  Love it.  It's really a fun car to drive and drives very sporty.  With the rebates, it was an extremely affordable car.  We installed the charger at home so the car charges in 3 hours.  We can program the car to charge after midnight-  tells us on the iphone when it's done charging.

Do you need to install any special equipment for charging?

When we get to electrical, my builder is offering "50Amp dedicated circuit for electric car charger-  includes 50A breaker, #6 wire and NEMA 6-50 receptacle."

I'm not sure if this is necessary and couldn't get a straight answer from the plaid suits at the dealership.

Back