To EV or not to EV, that is the question

WTTCMN said:
So umm is there an EV minivan in the pipeline. Not that I'm interested or anything  :-X
TWINS.

I think somewhere on TI, OS and I talked about the Nissan EV minivan. That's the only thing on the horizon I think.

I was hoping Toyota would do something in a bigger SUV EV but it looks like the RAV4 is end of life and the concept EV truck isn't happening.

thatOSguy said:
eyephone said:
Great deal! Did you change your SCE plan to the home and electrical vehicle plan? If you charge your car between the hours 12am to 6am the rate is 9 cents.

Changing the electrical plan makes overnight charging cheap but daytime usage very expensive.

The prius plug in battery is too small to warrant the overnight savings. I'd guess summers have more AC usage in a week than USCTrojanCPA would consume in a month charging his Prius.
If you don't stay home during the day during the hours 10am - 6pm. This plan is perfect. Off peak hours: 6pm to 12am; 6am to 10am. Super off peak 12am to 6am.

WTTCMN said:
irvinehomeowner said:
WTTCMN said:
So umm is there an EV minivan in the pipeline. Not that I'm interested or anything  :-X
TWINS.

I think somewhere on TI, OS and I talked about the Nissan EV minivan. That's the only thing on the horizon I think.

I was hoping Toyota would do something in a bigger SUV EV but it looks like the RAV4 is end of life and the concept EV truck isn't happening.

Oh interesting. I will have to google that. Filling up my hypothetical minivan is not so fun on the wallet. Hypothetically speaking.

Schoolmarm in a MV?  No way!

thatOSguy said:
eyephone said:
thatOSguy said:
eyephone said:
Great deal! Did you change your SCE plan to the home and electrical vehicle plan? If you charge your car between the hours 12am to 6am the rate is 9 cents.

Changing the electrical plan makes overnight charging cheap but daytime usage very expensive.

The prius plug in battery is too small to warrant the overnight savings. I'd guess summers have more AC usage in a week than USCTrojanCPA would consume in a month charging his Prius.
If you don't stay home during the day during the hours 10am - 6pm. This plan is perfect. Off peak hours: 6pm to 12am; 6am to 10am. Super off peak 12am to 6am.

Unless you have a Nest.

All kidding aside, yeah, TOU can work for a lot of households, though weekends off peak can also be expensive.

TOU is a huge savings for us in the winter, notsomuch in the summer. I have an excel spreadsheet (gunshy on posting it after the ass-whooping I took on the budgetary one I posted last time) *cough*qwerty*cough* that I use each month to compare what my TOU cost would have been on a standard tiered rate. The short answer is if you run AC during the day and have a smaller battery, don't bother with TOU.
Weekends rates are at a lower rate. According to SCE website:https://www.sce.com/wps/wcm/connect...vings_Plan_TOU-D-T_Fact_Sheet.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

O Hills said:
Do you need to install any special equipment for charging?

When we get to electrical, my builder is offering "50Amp dedicated circuit for electric car charger-  includes 50A breaker, #6 wire and NEMA 6-50 receptacle."

I'm not sure if this is necessary and couldn't get a straight answer from the plaid suits at the dealership.
It all depends what type of electric vehicle you have or planning to buy.

eyephone said:
O Hills said:
Do you need to install any special equipment for charging?

When we get to electrical, my builder is offering "50Amp dedicated circuit for electric car charger-  includes 50A breaker, #6 wire and NEMA 6-50 receptacle."

I'm not sure if this is necessary and couldn't get a straight answer from the plaid suits at the dealership.
It all depends what type of electric vehicle you have or planning to buy.

That's part of the problem.
I dont have an EV, but chances are good that I (or one of the kids) will buy an EV at some point in the future.
I dont know if charging station equipment is standardized so that getting what the builder is selling makes sense or not.

Just get the electrical to handle 240 by the builder. Then you can get your own level 2 charger later when u get an ev

qwerty said:
Just get the electrical to handle 240 by the builder. Then you can get your own level 2 charger later when u get an ev

This.

The specs you listed are perfect for what is out there now. I had the same done by the builder many years ago and when I got my Leaf, it worked perfectly.

zovall said:
qwerty said:

This.

The specs you listed are perfect for what is out there now. I had the same done by the builder many years ago and when I got my Leaf, it worked perfectly.

Good to hear. Good planning.

thatOSguy said:
eyephone said:

Yeah, I can fully charge my Prius in about 2.5-3 hours (get about 10-12 miles out of a full charge).  I honestly haven't noticed an increase in my electric bill since I got the car (I have a pool pump that runs 5 hours a day).  The gas tank is about 10 gallons so I get over 500 miles a tank (except for when I drive to Vegas because I go fast). 

thatOSguy said:
eyephone said:
thatOSguy said:
eyephone said:
thatOSguy said:
eyephone said:

Unless you have a Nest.

All kidding aside, yeah, TOU can work for a lot of households, though weekends off peak can also be expensive.

TOU is a huge savings for us in the winter, notsomuch in the summer. I have an excel spreadsheet (gunshy on posting it after the ass-whooping I took on the budgetary one I posted last time) *cough*qwerty*cough* that I use each month to compare what my TOU cost would have been on a standard tiered rate. The short answer is if you run AC during the day and have a smaller battery, don't bother with TOU.
Weekends rates are at a lower rate. According to SCE website:https://www.sce.com/wps/wcm/connect...vings_Plan_TOU-D-T_Fact_Sheet.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

"Off peak" is the lower TOU rate. The problem is, it's nearly 2x the rate of "Off peak" in a tiered rate. PM me if you want to see my bill; I'll show you what "lower rate" means. Translation is "not quite gouging, but painful."

In regards to SCE electric bill, are you enrolled in the residential plan or the home and electric vehicle plan?

Back