Stonegate Elementary Waiting List?

Soon 1/3 of the FCBs will receive the next installment of bribery their kids will be attending schools in Quail Hills.

furioussugar said:
lucky said:
I just called IUSD to ask about this situation. The only answer the woman I spoke with kept giving is: "It's too soon to know anything. Call back this time next year."

That's helpful. Will just stew in our worry juices for the next year.

I know it sounds crazy- but from our experience so far in 2 different schools in iusd-  it's accurate.

Irvine is very transient-  people are coming and going throughout the school year.  You can start the year with 32 kids and 1/3 of them will be replaced by the end of the school year.

Schools that were closed one year are wide open the next.  One of the best examples was Northwood HS-  for years it was closed to all transfers.  Now Woodbridge HS is closed and Northwood is open.

CV opens next year which will take the pressure off Stonegate.  Interestingly, you will have Stonegate parents choosing CV because it is "newer" than Stonegate (which is a beautiful campus).

Tyler Durden said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
Soon 1/3 of the FCBs will receive the next installment of bribery their kids will be attending schools in Quail Hills.

I always wondered what these folks did to get their "100% cash" payments.  This makes a lot of sense.

I recently learned there are a lot of investment groups in China where they pool all their money and buy up lots of US homes with shared ownership and just let overseas strangers (here) deal with buying and managing their homes. I mean it seems obvious and makes sense, but before hearing about that I guess I'd always naturally thought it was just individuals who were investing.

lookinginirvine said:
My plan is to start taking my son to the park and try to mingle with the other Asian parents there and see what info they've got. Most Asian parents seems to be up-to-date with the latest news about schools and find out what other parents are doing.

lucky said:
lookinginirvine said:
So you guys made me paranoid enough to call IUSD to ask to put my 2.5 year old on the waiting list for Stonegate Elementary.

I'm being told they can't put my 2.5 year old on the waiting list yet.....which I expected.

At least it was worth a try.  :p

That's exactly what I did. Did they just tell you to call back a year from now?

Be careful what you believe. I was told by an Asian parent that Stonegate doesn't have a hot lunch program...and she had a child in the school (albeit in kindergarten, so too young to eat lunch at school). She swore up and down that all the kids had to bring their own lunch. Of course this is not true.

Unfortunately the waiting list game is back again for the 2014 school year for K-1...They just did a lottery today. Kids that don't get in to SG will be transferred to the temp site of PS Elementary for 1 year.

Trailers for a year?  That sucks, can they refund your mello Roos?  I would apply for CV elementary

I believe that the folks who are in the Portola Springs area will go one year to Westwood Basics plus (next to Sierra Vista Middle School).  It was a regular elementary school for a long time.  They are already set up with portables for childcare too.  Plenty of shade.

Wasn't SG the traditional calendar alternative to the year around WB school?  There are a lot of WB residents going to SG.  Heard that only WB kids who entered SG in 2009 are automatically in SG next academic year.  Where are the other WB residents going instead of SG school?

IrvineNinja said:
Wasn't SG the traditional calendar alternative to the year around WB school?  There are a lot of WB residents going to SG.  Heard that only WB kids who entered SG in 2009 are automatically in SG next academic year.  Where are the other WB residents going instead of SG school?

Woodbury Elementary?  Why WB resident send their kids to SG instead of WB Elementary?

lnc said:
IrvineNinja said:

Woodbury Elementary?  Why WB resident send their kids to SG instead of WB Elementary?
Woodbury Elem is year-round and on a different schedule. Many people prefer the traditional schedule with the longer summer break... which is probably why SG got impacted in the first place.

People who buy at Stonegate are not guaranteed a spot for their children at SG elementary?
I thought that was the big selling pt of SG.

Walk ability to the school that gave OC register the most money.

zubs said:
People who buy at Stonegate are not guaranteed a spot for their children at SG elementary?

In few years it will be (SG residents will goto SG elementary) as the construction of elementary schools in CV and near the Great Park are built in 1-2 years.  For now, you are not guaranteed. 

Goriot said:
zubs said:

In few years it will be (SG residents will goto SG elementary) as the construction of elementary schools in CV and near the Great Park are built in 1-2 years.  For now, you are not guaranteed. 

That's only if hundreds of existing students transfer out in 1-2 years.  Existing students still have priority.  If someone from Woodbury is going to SG as kindergarten this year they can stay for the next 6 years.

Don't know about situation regarding kids from Woodbury, but I heard from SG school administrative they're going to make PS kids go back to PS Elementary starting from school year 2015-2016 when the permanent school is built.

We were going to transfer our son back to SG this year, but were told it's full and my son would very likely be sent to PS Elementary temp site for 1 year and then move back to SG the next year.  To avoid being transferred twice, we're going to keep my son at the current school for one more year and transfer him back next year because if what I heard above is true, then next year SG should have plenty of seats available.

Regarding the lottery, what I understand is they draw the lottery only to create the priority list for everyone registered before the deadline.  People on the priority list is still subject to seat availability.  What I told was no one on the priority list is actually guaranteed the enrollment because there is no seat available.

Isn't this an advantage for resale homes?

Sounds like buying a new home doesn't necessarily guarantee enrollment in the neighborhood school, which kills the "walkability factor".

Most older resale neighborhoods in Irvine don't have this level of closed enrollment in their schools.

Has anyone who has bought resale in pre-2005 hoods had issues with school enrollment?

I bought in a pre-2000 area but initially all my kids were placed on a waiting list, although fortunately, after about a month, all of them were let into the neighborhood school.  Haven't had any issues since then.  That was a few years back and I can't imagine it has gotten better since then.

irvinehomeowner said:
Isn't this an advantage for resale homes?

Sounds like buying a new home doesn't necessarily guarantee enrollment in the neighborhood school, which kills the "walkability factor".

Most older resale neighborhoods in Irvine don't have this level of closed enrollment in their schools.

Has anyone who has bought resale in pre-2005 hoods had issues with school enrollment?

Back