Stonegate Elementary Waiting List?

When I registered my son to Stonegate Elementary back in April/May, we were told that the school was full already and they were working hard trying to keep all students but may transfer my son to the nearby Canyon View Elementary.  Last week, We received a email saying that my son has been assigned to the late-bird session in Stonegate, even though we requested early-bird session.

CDC is a horrible story, I forgot to register my son to Stonegate CDC until late June/early July.  We were told wait list is 100+.  End up we registered him to the iPAC in the woodbury community as they recommended.

songkou said:
When I registered my son to Stonegate Elementary back in April/May, we were told that the school was full already and they were working hard trying to keep all students but may transfer my son to the nearby Canyon View Elementary.

Like I said....

Stonegate Elementary doesn't have enough capacity for all the students in Stonegate.  They will start transferring students out.  Those paying top dollar to live in Stonegate, especially the more expensive homes like Arcadia and Sausalito, thinking their kids will go to Stonegate Elementary will be in for a big surprise.

rmmo1d.jpg

2zi98qa.jpg

2q3nash.jpg

10mv3g4.jpg

25k351f.jpg

How can I get similar information for the IUSD schools a little more west/southwest of these schools?

Thank you for your help.

test said:
songkou said:
When I registered my son to Stonegate Elementary back in April/May, we were told that the school was full already and they were working hard trying to keep all students but may transfer my son to the nearby Canyon View Elementary.

Like I said....

Stonegate Elementary doesn't have enough capacity for all the students in Stonegate.  They will start transferring students out.  Those paying top dollar to live in Stonegate, especially the more expensive homes like Arcadia and Sausalito, thinking their kids will go to Stonegate Elementary will be in for a big surprise.

rmmo1d.jpg

2zi98qa.jpg

2q3nash.jpg

10mv3g4.jpg

25k351f.jpg

Old news story published earlier this year in the OC Register by Jordan Graham:

mlvv5h-mlvv49optionaovercrowdedschoolsolutions.gif

mlvv5i-mlvv4noptionbovercrowdedschoolsolutions.gif

As more and more people are moving to Irvine ? many wanting to enroll their children in the community's superb schools ? the school district is grappling with the challenge of keeping pace with the population growth.

With plans to open seven schools in the next eight years, Irvine Unified School District officials are considering a handful of strategies to keep schools from becoming overcrowded as new families move to recently developed neighborhoods.

By the end of 2020, the city is projected to gain more than 20,000 homes and 40,000 new residents. By the end of 2016, about 8,500 new students are projected to enter the district ? a 30 percent increase.
At an April 9 facilities study session, district staff and Board of Education members discussed options for pre-empting this predicament through blends of adding portable classrooms, opening an interim school and balancing enrollment by transporting new students to schools outside of their neighborhood.

THREE OPTIONS PRESENTED
Though no binding decisions were made at the study session, school board members were presented with three options to alleviate Irvine Unified's interim capacity dilemma.

Board members Sharon Wallin, Paul Bokota and Lauren Brooks cast their support for Option A, a scenario in which the district would place more portable classrooms at Stonegate and Woodbury elementary schools in 2013 to increase student capacity, then remove these portable structures in 2014 while directing new students to an interim school (located north of Irvine Boulevard and Jeffrey Road).
Board President Gavin Huntley-Fenner and board member Michael Parham backed Option B, which would overflow new Stonegate village students in 2013 to three elementary schools two to three miles away, then open the interim school in 2014.

Under both options, the interim school would be replaced by a newly constructed building in 2015.
No board members openly support Option C, which would add portable classrooms to Stonegate and Woodbury in 2013, then maintain this increased capacity while overflowing to other neighborhood schools in 2014.

PACKED SCHOOLS OR DISPLACED STUDENTS
One of the fundamental questions the dilemma generates is whether it is better to keep students in a densely populated neighborhood school or send them to schools farther from their homes.
If the board opted to add more portable classrooms to Stonegate, district officials project the school's population would swell to 1,172 students by the beginning of next school year. That would mean Stonegate's population would be 472 students over the district's targeted average elementary school enrollment, 272 over the maximum allowed for elementary schools with portable classrooms and 172 over the population the district allows for during "peak enrollment." ("That's the size of a small liberal arts college," one school administrator commented.)

Though both options eventually would require incoming students from new families to attend a school outside of their neighborhood, the majority of school board members supported temporarily increasing student populations so as many students as possible could attend their local elementary school.
"I think that it is easier for the students and the families," Wallin said. "I have faith in our principals that with additional support they can handle the numbers."

"You're impacting people's homes and people's children," Bokota said, supporting his choice to add more portable classrooms.

Stonegate Principal Stan Machesky also supported Option A, saying that his school could handle the temporary population increase with proper administrative support.

But Huntley-Fenner said portable classrooms would not solve all capacity issues, pointing out that schools have a set amount of playground equipment, library space and other shared facilities. He would prefer a blend of options A and B, he said, balancing the pros and cons of each option.

NO LOCAL SCHOOL FOR SOME NEW FAMILIES
Regardless of which option is chosen, in any foreseeable future, some new Irvine families won't be able to send their children to their local elementary school.

School board members said that a district policy allowing students who start at a given Irvine school to continue there, even when attendance boundaries change, could compound this effect if displaced students opt to stay at schools outside of their neighborhood.

While soon-to-be Stonegate neighborhood families aren't around to weigh in, current Stonegate Elementary parents were divided on whether they would have been unhappy sending their children to a different school.

"I don't think it's a big deal at all," said Clarissa Saiz, mother of two Stonegate students. "We just moved from Orange. I would be happy with any school in Irvine."

Napa Gavin, mother of a third-grade girl and a fifth-grade boy, recently bought an unfinished Stonegate house and is living in an apartment outside the neighborhood while she waits for her home to be completed.
"If I had a house here and my kids had to go somewhere else, I would be a bit disappointed," Gavin said. "I wouldn't move here. I would buy a house that is close to the school that (they) go to because I want my kids to eventually bike and walk to school."

An Irvine Co. representative said that the issue was not problematic.

Mike LeBlanc, senior vice president of entitlement for the Irvine Co., said that the real estate company's mitigation agreement with the school district guarantees funding for the construction of schools as Irvine's population grows, but added that student dislocation can be necessary until the new buildings are erected.

"It doesn't really create a major problem at all for us and the expectations our families have," LeBlanc said.

"Irrespective of the specific physical location of the school," he said later, "you still have that educational community coming together. Part of the attribute of a planned community is having a local school, but part of that is also not necessarily the physical structure, but the enjoyment in the community in that educational environment. So they'll stay together, and in a very short time frame, in two years, they'll be in a brand-new school enjoying the state-of-the-art amenities that school will afford them."
Shortly after the April 9 meeting, letters were sent out to Stonegate and Woodbury elementary school parents, informing them of the district's plans and options.

DISTRICT HAS TOOLS, FUNDS TO BE FLEXIBLE
School districts should be built to flex and contract, Huntley-Fenner said, and unlike some other California school districts, Irvine Unified is fortunate to have the tools to adapt.

"Although Irvine has challenges, we have access to a full set of tools that we can use to solve these problems," Huntley-Fenner said. "We have money and developer capacity to build schools. We have capacity within our district, where we can move children. We've got staff that is pretty skilled in working with these demographic changes because the district has been growing for many years now."

The school board plans to continue discussions on interim capacity issues at its May 7 meeting. Stonegate Elementary will host a meeting tonight in the school's multipurpose room to allow the public to further discuss the plans.

I'm really, really unhappy that it looks like my children aren't going to be able to go to Stonegate Elementary... I'll just keep holding out an unrealistic hope that somehow they'll be able to get in, but it really bothers me that they'll have an awesome school just down the street and walking distance but they'll probably have to commute a mile away.

:( ???

lucky said:
I'm really, really unhappy that it looks like my children aren't going to be able to go to Stonegate Elementary... I'll just keep holding out an unrealistic hope that somehow they'll be able to get in, but it really bothers me that they'll have an awesome school just down the street and walking distance but they'll probably have to commute a mile away.

:( ???
I'd be upset too.  I'm sure the idea of walking your kid to down the street to Stonegate Elementary was a big reason young families bought in Stonegate.  TIC should update their pamphlets and website with an asterisk by the schools zoned to Stonegate homes stating that your kids might go to a neighboring school. 

OCgasman said:
I'd be upset too.  I'm sure the idea of walking your kid to down the street to Stonegate Elementary was a big reason young families bought in Stonegate.  TIC should update their pamphlets and website with an asterisk by the schools zoned to Stonegate homes stating that your kids might go to a neighboring school.

That's exactly how we feel. That was one of the huge reasons we wanted to live here.  ??? :mad:

Hopefully this won't be an issue for us as my daughter is approach K age but I can see it being a real issue. 

My sense is that an elementary will have to be built somewhere near Stonegate.  School district usually have a ratio for houses per school.

Will this proposal affects the existing Stonegate School kids or for the newer kids who will be joining KG (or Higher grades transfering from other schools)?

Irvinecommuter said:
Hopefully this won't be an issue for us as my daughter is approach K age but I can see it being a real issue. 

My sense is that an elementary will have to be built somewhere near Stonegate.  School district usually have a ratio for houses per school.
Portola Springs is supposed to have it's own elementary school in a 3 years.  This will relieve a lot of the burden.  But until that time...

We purchased a home in stonegate. Although we are 2 years away from our child starting school I'm concerned from reading this thread.

I'm a little confused. Obviously there will be a new kindergarden class every year. How is the school deciding which kids stay in stonegate and others will be shipped to other schools? Is there a waiting list for stonegate residents for children to go to their zoned school? This is redicuolous.

I will be very upset if my child goes to school on the marine base. Its a toxic dump

From my understanding even if you register at stonegate, there isn't enough room. So how will stonegate decide which children get into stonegate?

Camping? Lottery?

The lack of details by iusd is dumb!

I did camp out overnight (with tons of other parents) up in WA state when it was snowing for full day public Kindergarten for the 25 slots or so available.  :p  People weren't happy since I was taking up two slots for my twin girls.  It was all for nothing since we moved back down here just before school started.

I was one of those laughing at the other parents when I heard about the parents camping out overnight for Kindergarten and thought I'd  never do that. 

I could just imagine the long lines for here.  Don't they almost do that for music instrument rentals?

bones said:
fishfinder333 said:
We purchased a home in stonegate. Although we are 2 years away from our child starting school I'm concerned from reading this thread.

I'm a little confused. Obviously there will be a new kindergarden class every year. How is the school deciding which kids stay in stonegate and others will be shipped to other schools? Is there a waiting list for stonegate residents for children to go to their zoned school? This is redicuolous.

I will be very upset if my child goes to school on the marine base. Its a toxic dump

Could it be based on when you register?  God, I hope this doesn't mean people have to camp out overnight to register their kids for PUBLIC KINDERGARTEN!

irvinehusky said:
I could just imagine the long lines for here.  Don't they almost do that for music instrument rentals?
Yes they do. So we didn't return ours over the summer, we just paid the extra 2 months of rental fees to avoid waiting in that line again.

I'm guessing when it comes time to farm kids to other schools, stonegate residents will get priority. Students from Portola will be first to be moved. Hopefully this will take a lot of pressure off the school.

Back