Stonegate Elementary Waiting List?

I just called IUSD to ask about this situation. The only answer the woman I spoke with kept giving is: "It's too soon to know anything. Call back this time next year."

That's helpful. Will just stew in our worry juices for the next year.

fishfinder333 said:
I'm guessing when it comes time to farm kids to other schools, stonegate residents will get priority. Students from Portola will be first to be moved. Hopefully this will take a lot of pressure off the school.
Why would you assume that Stonegate residents would get priority over Portola Springs residents?  PS kids are zoned to Stonegate Elementary too.  My guess is that it won't matter where you live.  You can live across the street from Stonegate Elementary and still get booted to a other school.  Probably the highest priority will be to siblings of current Stonegate students.  And then who knows.  IUSD should just make it a lottery, take lining up out of the picture.  Lining up could cause some problems as stated above.

Nobody knows what IUSD will do but if Uni High gets filled up, which area would be cut first?  I would guess the older Westpark area first and then Uni Park?  There's no fair way to all but distance from that school seems to be one logical choice.

When I moved to this part of Irvine, I thought my kids would automatically be in.  When two of my kids got put on hold, I was really angry since like many of you said, what the hell did I pay this Irvine premium for if my kids can't go to the expected nearby school.

On the other hand, my kids aren't going to be able to go to Uni or Northwood from this area so I'm not going to worry about that either.  It was known ahead of time.  Once upon a time, my neighbors' kids did have that choice and did go to those schools from around here.

Just have to hope that the new schools that they build will be just as good.  I'm thinking they will be as we know it's not only due to the teachers that we have a high performing school district.

OCgasman said:
fishfinder333 said:
I'm guessing when it comes time to farm kids to other schools, stonegate residents will get priority. Students from Portola will be first to be moved. Hopefully this will take a lot of pressure off the school.
Why would you assume that Stonegate residents would get priority over Portola Springs residents?  PS kids are zoned to Stonegate Elementary too.  My guess is that it won't matter where you live.  You can live across the street from Stonegate Elementary and still get booted to a other school.  Probably the highest priority will be to siblings of current Stonegate students.  And then who knows.  IUSD should just make it a lottery, take lining up out of the picture.  Lining up could cause some problems as stated above.

That's it...I'm putting my future children's name on the list to get into Stonegate Elementary before it's too late. 

USCTrojanCPA said:
That's it...I'm putting my future children's name on the list to get into Stonegate Elementary before it's too late. 

Too late! My grandchild is No #44 on the list only because no Asian wanted to take that number.

Oh man... that's hilarious... almost looks like superheroes.

Where were those pictures taken? If I ever see that on an OC beach, I'm going to die laughing.

And I thought an Asian woman at the pool going into the water almost fully clothed was funny.

Oh great, the Blueman group (Rainbow group?) invades "Orange" county.  I would rather die of skin cancer than wear that in public. :p

So you guys made me paranoid enough to call IUSD to ask to put my 2.5 year old on the waiting list for Stonegate Elementary.

I'm being told they can't put my 2.5 year old on the waiting list yet.....which I expected.

At least it was worth a try.  :p

lookinginirvine said:
So you guys made me paranoid enough to call IUSD to ask to put my 2.5 year old on the waiting list for Stonegate Elementary.

I'm being told they can't put my 2.5 year old on the waiting list yet.....which I expected.

That's exactly what I did. Did they just tell you to call back a year from now?

Basically just told me they have no information as of now as to what is going to happen.
That my son still has a few years before starting elementary so just wait and see what happens.

My plan is to start taking my son to the park and try to mingle with the other Asian parents there and see what info they've got. Most Asian parents seems to be up-to-date with the latest news about schools and find out what other parents are doing.

lucky said:
lookinginirvine said:

That's exactly what I did. Did they just tell you to call back a year from now?

lookinginirvine said:
Basically just told me they have no information as of now as to what is going to happen.
That my son still has a few years before starting elementary so just wait and see what happens.

My plan is to start taking my son to the park and try to mingle with the other Asian parents there and see what info they've got. Most Asian parents seems to be up-to-date with the latest news about schools and find out what other parents are doing.

If you hear anything please do update us!  ;D

lucky said:
I just called IUSD to ask about this situation. The only answer the woman I spoke with kept giving is: "It's too soon to know anything. Call back this time next year."

I know it sounds crazy- but from our experience so far in 2 different schools in iusd-  it's accurate.

Irvine is very transient-  people are coming and going throughout the school year.  You can start the year with 32 kids and 1/3 of them will be replaced by the end of the school year.

Schools that were closed one year are wide open the next.  One of the best examples was Northwood HS-  for years it was closed to all transfers.  Now Woodbridge HS is closed and Northwood is open.

CV opens next year which will take the pressure off Stonegate.  Interestingly, you will have Stonegate parents choosing CV because it is "newer" than Stonegate (which is a beautiful campus). 

furioussugar said:
lucky said:

I know it sounds crazy- but from our experience so far in 2 different schools in iusd-  it's accurate.

Irvine is very transient-  people are coming and going throughout the school year.  You can start the year with 32 kids and 1/3 of them will be replaced by the end of the school year.

Schools that were closed one year are wide open the next.  One of the best examples was Northwood HS-  for years it was closed to all transfers.  Now Woodbridge HS is closed and Northwood is open.

CV opens next year which will take the pressure off Stonegate.  Interestingly, you will have Stonegate parents choosing CV because it is "newer" than Stonegate (which is a beautiful campus).

Nah...I wouldn't chose CV over Stonegate just on convenience factor alone

Back