Save the Memorial Park! Vote No on Measure B ballot June 5th

Burn That Belly said:
Recall that Councilmember Fox was a strong proponent of 'Yes' on B before the vote. -> (https://melissafoxblog.com/2018/04/24/vote-yes-on-measure-b-on-june-5/)

WOW!  Looks like we got a complete 180 from Councilmember Fox today:

---------------
The clear message sent by voters with the defeat of Measures B and D is that developers must not be allowed to continue runaway development without regard to our traffic, schools, and quality of life, and that Irvine residents must have a say in all future development decisions. I agree.

I supported Measure B because I believed it would provide veterans with the best chance for a dignified military cemetery; that it would save Irvine taxpayers millions of dollars; and that it would reduce traffic congestion by restricting future development at the strawberry fields.

The voters, however, did not want to risk even the possibility that it would lead to more development and more traffic congestion.

In fact, Irvine residents are rightly concerned that runaway development and traffic congestion will forever change the character of our beautiful city ? without their input or consent.  They are rightly distrustful of developers whose bottom line is their profit, not our quality of lifeI am distrustful as well, and I share the voters? skepticism about giant developers and their motives. Developers spent millions of dollars trying to defeat me in the last election, and no doubt will do so again.

Moving forward, I reaffirm my pledge to end runaway development.  There must be no more developer giveaways.

Let?s build the veterans cemetery.  I have been fighting for a veterans cemetery at the former El Toro Marine Base since 2014 and will continue to do so. Our veterans deserve a veterans cemetery close to their families and loved ones. Now that Measure B has been defeated, we need to find a site that honors our veterans and is approved by Irvine residents.  I am firmly committed to that task.
https://melissafoxblog.com/2018/06/12/the-lesson-of-measures-b-and-d-no-more-developer-giveaways/
---------------

Eyephone, this is the part you play that Drake music! When councilmembers have gone 180 on their position.  ;D ;D

Not surprising. I think the lopsided defeat of Measure B showed the politicians that the vast overwhelming majority of Irvine residents favor the veterans cemetery and the effort to kill it is localized to 5P and a few of its more vocal customers. Politicians will do what they have to do to keep their seats.

Hopefully the city will now stop approving thousands of new housing units in exchange for more soccer fields.

One more thing. A great win for the Vets.

Read my previous post: My vision of museum for veterans.
(it?s too good of an idea)

Have they though about building the cemetery in the Tustin hangars? That way they can close the doors at night to prevent the ghosts from walking out and affecting the home prices.

Happiness said:
Not surprising. I think the lopsided defeat of Measure B showed the politicians that the vast overwhelming majority of Irvine residents favor the veterans cemetery and the effort to kill it is localized to 5P and a few of its more vocal customers. Politicians will do what they have to do to keep their seats.

Hopefully the city will now stop approving thousands of new housing units in exchange for more soccer fields.

Failure of the YES on B campaign to educate the public is evident in your post. The majority in Irvine *thought* a NO vote would SAVE the vet cemetery but in reality both sides offered a cemetery solution. Also your second statement regarding development has nothing to do with Measure B. While many Irvine residents may be unhappy about 10,000 homes being built in the GP, that ship sailed long ago. Defeating measure B will not stop homes from being built. If the electorate was concerned about over development, they should have signed the petition by Irvine for Responsible Growth.

iacrenter said:
Happiness said:

Failure of the YES on B campaign to educate the public is evident in your post. The majority in Irvine *thought* a NO vote would SAVE the vet cemetery but in reality both sides offered a cemetery solution. Also your second statement regarding development has nothing to do with Measure B. While many Irvine residents may be unhappy about 10,000 homes being built in the GP, that ship sailed long ago. Defeating measure B will not stop homes from being built. If the electorate was concerned about over development, they should have signed the petition by Irvine for Responsible Growth.

If a politician like Fox, who was all over social media and spamming people's emails incessantly with yes on B propaganda, to do a 180 just days after the election would suggest to me the outcome was not the result of a "majority" being uneducated about the measure. Politicians don't go into full retreat based on lack of voter "education." Rather, they would try to educate the uneducated voters. Lalloway is beginning to flip too, not quite 180, but certainly trying to distance himself from B.

inv0ke-epipen said:
Have they though about building the cemetery in the Tustin hangars? That way they can close the doors at night to prevent the ghosts from walking out and affecting the home prices.

Metaphysics 101: Ghosts can pass through walls and closed doors.

Happiness said:
inv0ke-epipen said:

How about aluminum foil?

Burn That Belly said:
It's funny, before the vote started, people assumed people were smart and knew what they were voting for. Nobody questioned that. When the 'Yes' people lost, then they made up excuses and claim voters were unedcuated, voters were misinformed, ballot confusion, and confusing signs on the street.

If the 'No on B' people lost, could they have used the same excuses above to explain the reasoning for the loss? I think the 'Yes on B' people would have called BS on that.

Hypocrites and double standard.

Hell yes! Welcome to your Murica. Let?s make Irvine Great Again.

Burn That Belly said:
iacrenter said:
Burn That Belly said:
It's funny, before the vote started, people assumed people were smart and knew what they were voting for. Nobody questioned that. When the 'Yes' people lost, then they made up excuses and claim voters were unedcuated, voters were misinformed, ballot confusion, and confusing signs on the street.

If the 'No on B' people lost, could they have used the same excuses above to explain the reasoning for the loss? I think the 'Yes on B' people would have called BS on that.

Hypocrites and double standard.

Hell yes! Welcome to your Murica. Let?s make Irvine Great Again.

Still 2:1 after the mail-in-ballots came in. Not a single thing has changed.

What's the next excuse? Illiteracy and inability to properly read ballots? Rigged election? Rigged emails? Collusion with Russia?

B-City of Irvine, Ordinance No. 17-08, Facilitating Veterans
Completed Precincts: 101 of 101
Vote Count Percentage
Yes 12,795 37.1%
No 21,678 62.9%

Let's just stop insulting our Great Residents of Irvine. They pay too much Mello Roos for that.

Fake news! 😀

irvinehomeowner said:
Happiness said:
inv0ke-epipen said:

How about aluminum foil?

If the aluminum foil were polished to a mirror finish and placed in the middle of a bagua, I believe it would work:

bgbm.jpg

Back