Save the Memorial Park! Vote No on Measure B ballot June 5th

Burn That Belly said:
AW said:
Burn That Belly said:
AW said:
Burn That Belly said:
eyephone said:
eyephone said:
Since we are talking about PP in GP. What?s up with the Parsol Park Zip Line?
Zip line at Parsol Park (someone uploaded a video on YouTube, not my account)

That zip line looks really fun. Seriously. I'd like to try it myself.

Makes me want to own a home there now, they got all the best toys there.

Oh wait, just remembered, it's free and open to the public. No rent-a-cop out there asking for proof-of-GP residency. I can take the $7000 in MR and put it towards a BMW 5series lease car payment.  ;D
Just like the beach is free, and saves me $10M for a beach front property? Yay
Well, I don?t think people who skipped buying at GP because of toxic land will be using the free and open amenities anyways.

Yeah they do. And they sure as heck ain't paying no mello-fricken doo-doos.

227 Reviews + (More who didn't review) https://www.yelp.com/biz/orange-county-great-park-irvine?osq=Irvine+Great+Park

Another 309+ Google Reviewshttps://www.google.com/maps/place/O...dac0a!8m2!3d33.6734226!4d-117.7458483!9m1!1b1
Lol. Not the same thing. I said for the people who opted not to buy in GP because of fear of toxicity like your next door neighbors.
A lot of those reviews are from out of towners visiting or people just looking for things to do, like going to the beach or hiking.

I don't think a whole lot of people have a fear of toxicity at GP. But there's certainly a fear of ghouls and demons.

npibc6-b88423620z.120150605220034000gh7a5clf.10.jpg
https://www.ocregister.com/2015/06/...ld-create-bad-feng-shui-hurt-property-values/
Here's a cheap fix for malevolent spirits, only $5 in Chinatown:

101810-316x366-Baguamirror.jpg

Irvinecommuter said:
Burn That Belly said:
I don't think a whole lot of people have a fear of toxicity at GP. But there's certainly a fear of ghouls and demons.

https://www.ocregister.com/2015/06/...ld-create-bad-feng-shui-hurt-property-values/

See..this part I don't understand.  Why go down this road?  People have their own beliefs and are exercising their right to protest.  Not sure which one of those is necessary to mock.

I don?t think he is making fun of the picture.
He is showing how a certain group were oppose to the cemetery.

eyephone said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Burn That Belly said:

See..this part I don't understand.  Why go down this road?  People have their own beliefs and are exercising their right to protest.  Not sure which one of those is necessary to mock.

I don?t think he is making fun of the picture.
He is showing how a certain group were oppose to the cemetery.

I would agree except for the other posts.

Burn That Belly said:
Does anyone not think for one second that when a recession or major downtown happens, that the first thing that usually occurs is delinquent mortgage payments, HOA payments, and the tax bill. When you're delinquent on the mortgage payment, you've got about 90 days before the Sheriff says hello. With HOA payments, you've got a whole lot longer, and with property taxes, you've got up to 5 years before the Tax Collector converts that lien to a notice of sale.

Right off the bat, property tax and MR will be the least of the homeowner's concerns, but when it comes time to sell and the new buyer finds out there were so many delinquencies, the price has to drop. This affects surrounding neighbors' ROI. The tax man always gets paid.

That's not how foreclosures work and your lender will pay those taxes.

Burn That Belly said:
Irvinecommuter said:
I am not seeing any articles about ARDA until 2014 and the funding wasn't approved until later.

I am not trying to be contrarian but again...I have been following Irvine RE for a long time and I have heard of any possibility of a memorial until 2014.  If you can find me a link or article showing me something different, I appreciate it.

Looky what I found??  :D :D

Dated way back in 2008.

Forest Lawn sues Lennar over Great Park cemetery

Forest Lawn in a complaint filed in Orange County Superior Court in Santa Ana accuses Lennar of backing out of plans for a 73-acre memorial park in the developer?s private Great Park adjacent development.

The disagreement centers around a written agreement that Forest Lawn says was created even before Lennar took control of the former El Toro Marine Base.

City leaders in 2003 had agreed to zone 73-acres of the El Toro land for cemetery use. A year later, Lennar agreed to team up with Forest Lawn to create the cemetery and mortuary, with the understanding that Lennar would get city approval for the project, and Forest Lawn would eventually purchase, develop and run the cemetery and mortuary, Waite said.

Forest Lawn?s complaint details a deteriorating relationship with the developer, who it accuses of taking part in ?commercially repugnant tactics.? The complaint claims that Lennar twice tried to switch settled agreements with terms more favorable to the developer. The complaint also alleges that Lennar tried to relocate the planned site of the cemetery to ?an environmentally toxic ordnance training site with an unpredictable time frame for remediation.?

Bada bing bada BOOM!
https://www.ocregister.com/2008/09/12/forest-lawn-sues-lennar-over-great-park-cemetery/

Hmm...Forest Lawn is not a veterans memorial.

Burn That Belly said:
But at least this shows a cemetery, any cemetery, was always destined for GP. That idea/thought in the making should have raise concerns for many. Just like how that county-owned GP land will forever be a weaponized asset for the county.

You are seriously stretching.  We are talking about what a potential buyer knew prior to 2014's introduction of ARDA.  Lennar's plans are irrelevant to 5P's plans and the the entire market was different in 2003-2008 than it was in 2013.

Burn That Belly said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Burn That Belly said:
But at least this shows a cemetery, any cemetery, was always destined for GP. That idea/thought in the making should have raise concerns for many. Just like how that county-owned GP land will forever be a weaponized asset for the county.

You are seriously stretching.  We are talking about what a potential buyer knew prior to 2014's introduction of ARDA.  Lennar's plans are irrelevant to 5P's plans and the the entire market was different in 2003-2008 than it was in 2013.

I disagree. People knew the developer purchased it for the purposes of building thousands of homes and commercial space. And they had a deal to build a memorial park. If I was shopping for a home in 2008, sitting on the sidelines/accumulating money to buy, I would probably not want to buy it there any more for the possibility they could build it. But Lennar pulled the plug on Forest Lawn.

Just like right now, its 2018. We learn about "county-owned" land which entitles the county governmental-use on that land, which includes homeless shelters. Translation: I don't like that hanging over my neighborhood. I won't sleep well at night. When it's 2024, I'll still think about it. Until somebody, (not the county), buys it and turns it into a circus park.

The developer purchased the bulk of the airfield in 2005 with plans to build thousands of homes and millions of square feet of commercial, industrial and office space surrounding the future Orange County Great Park. But over the last two years the weak housing market has delayed Lennar's construction projects.

Forest Lawn said in a news release that the city of Irvine had identified the need for a cemetery on the former base and that the site has "special significance to World War II veterans who were stationed at El Toro."

Again...stretching.  Lennar sold the project to 5P and Forest Lawn didn't say anything more about the subject.  There were no talks about a cemetery/memorial until 2014, well after GP was developed and houses were sold. 

Burn That Belly said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Again...stretching.  Lennar sold the project to 5P and Forest Lawn didn't say anything more about the subject.  There were no talks about a cemetery/memorial until 2014, well after GP was developed and houses were sold.

Now you're just playing dumb. I don't have to prove to you any thing any more. You don't listen just like in the other political threads. I'll cite it one last time. The entire city (whether anyone cared) was thinking/planning of a memorial park FOR military personnel, dated 2008.

Stretching stretching stretching. This same BS is going on with that county-owned GP land. Until that land is annexed back to the city, it is a lingering threat today, tomorrow, next year, 5 years from now, 10 years from now.

In 10 years 2028, you're going to ask "But nobody knew they were going to build a homeless shelter on GP land!"  And then I'll say "Of course they did. We had a demonstration!"

On Tuesday, the Irvine City Council voted to authorize its corps of designers to study the construction of a cemetery and military memorial of its own at the future Great Park.
September 13, 2008|| Times Staff Writerhttp://articles.latimes.com/2008/sep/13/local/me-cemetery13

Yeah.  You are stretching.  Things get talked about and bantered about all the time.  It was supposed to be an airport at one point...should the buyer be worried about that too? 

Irvinecommuter said:
Burn That Belly said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Burn That Belly said:

I disagree. People knew the developer purchased it for the purposes of building thousands of homes and commercial space. And they had a deal to build a memorial park. If I was shopping for a home in 2008, sitting on the sidelines/accumulating money to buy, I would probably not want to buy it there any more for the possibility they could build it. But Lennar pulled the plug on Forest Lawn.

Just like right now, its 2018. We learn about "county-owned" land which entitles the county governmental-use on that land, which includes homeless shelters. Translation: I don't like that hanging over my neighborhood. I won't sleep well at night. When it's 2024, I'll still think about it. Until somebody, (not the county), buys it and turns it into a circus park.

The developer purchased the bulk of the airfield in 2005 with plans to build thousands of homes and millions of square feet of commercial, industrial and office space surrounding the future Orange County Great Park. But over the last two years the weak housing market has delayed Lennar's construction projects.

Forest Lawn said in a news release that the city of Irvine had identified the need for a cemetery on the former base and that the site has "special significance to World War II veterans who were stationed at El Toro."

What planet do you live on? Lennar never sold the project to 5P.

Back in 2017, the city pretty much dared the county to put a homeless shelter in the Great Park:

Check this out:
https://voiceofoc.org/2017/11/irvin...r-big-commercial-development-near-great-park/

Irvine Councilwoman Christina Shea said, in a Thursday night phone interview, the County shouldn?t be in the development business.
?In our opinion the County of Orange should not be in the business of retail and residential and building a very dense and very aggressive complex over there near the Great Park,? Shea said. ?They should be in the business of taking care of the homeless, which is a very high priority in the county ? those four supervisors have stepped way over the line on this.?

Happiness said:
Back in 2017, the city pretty much dared the county to put a homeless shelter in the Great Park:

Check this out:
https://voiceofoc.org/2017/11/irvin...r-big-commercial-development-near-great-park/

Irvine Councilwoman Christina Shea said, in a Thursday night phone interview, the County shouldn?t be in the development business.
?In our opinion the County of Orange should not be in the business of retail and residential and building a very dense and very aggressive complex over there near the Great Park,? Shea said. ?They should be in the business of taking care of the homeless, which is a very high priority in the county ? those four supervisors have stepped way over the line on this.?

/eyeroll.  County is never and will never put a homeless shelter there. 

Back