Portola Springs Neighborhood 4B: Brisa, Celeste and Talise

Burn That Belly said:
bones said:
irvine buyer said:
+1

If you search this forum you'll see that Portola Springs doesn't get the respect it deserves.  However, I've wondered how many of those who bash the area actually live or have lived in Portola Springs.  Everyone I know that lives there is happy with the area.

Not sure what type of respect you?re looking for but PS has been a hot mess from a master plan standpoint and I think that?s part of the reason it gets bashed. Since this is ?let?s rehash the overpromised and underdelivered villages? week on TI, PS prob ranks up there. Instead of the promised school and community park, they built a whole enclave of motorcourt product. Instead of the promised retail, they finally build a school years after making residents travel and switch for elem school.  Overall the community is disjointed, has higher than average MR (GP products aside) and is far from ?stuff?. Residents will find ways to ?justify? its location but it always trades below other nearby villages and is slower to recover from dips. It?ll be interesting to see how resales fair once everything gets built out, the second elem school opens and the community park is built.

P.S. I was a homeowner in PS.

It would appear that there are many more folks on TI here living in PS for obvious reasons.

Portola Springs is nothing more than the Hyundai of Irvine. It offers spacious cabins, more bells and whistles as standard features, a good performance engine, all without breaking the bank. It's like buying the Genesis. Nothing wrong with it. Trying to hear people justify Portola Springs is trying to hear a Hyundai Genesis owner justify why it's better than a BMW 550i, Lexus LS, Mercedes C3xx.

It's profoundly dumb to keep hearing:
"it only takes me 10 minutes to drive here..."
"it only takes me 8 minutes more to drive there instead of 4 minutes..."
"i can't smell anything..."
"i can take the toll roads..."

same thing as:

"My hyundai can do 0-60 in 8.4 seconds... that's more than good enough for me! It really doesn't even matter that much"  ;)

Well that?s the essence of these village wars. You have to defend your turf bc damn it, you just spent $1m on a stucco box. I loved PS too - till the day I moved out :)

Burn That Belly said:
bones said:
Well that?s the essence of these village wars. You have to defend your turf bc damn it, you just spent $1m on a stucco box. I loved PS too - till the day I moved out :)

So which stucco box did you crawl into now?

I?m IHO?s neighbor.

OCLuvr said:
Which is: GP?

Yes. So obviously I love it. And I take the toll road every day and it only takes me 5 mins to get to the 5 and 7 mins to get to the 405. I also take portola parkway and it?s super fast ?🏻

Burn That Belly said:
Portola Springs is nothing more than the Hyundai of Irvine.

I would say PS is the Mercedes CLA of Irvine. It has the same brand, but it's not the same thing.

range_life said:
WANTED TO ADD:  I think it's entertaining when people put down other areas of the same, wonderful city, and toot their zip code as some sort of status symbol.  People who are so concerned about driving BMWs, owning a home in a particular zip, and belittling others who don't have the same. . .that's kind of sad.  When you have that type of outlook, the things you own end up owning you.  Growing up around money, I learned that I am not defined by my materialistic possessions.  And neither should you!
No one is criticizing Portola Springs for costing less, people criticize Portola Springs because it has a history of appreciating less.

Right Bones?

bones said:
OCLuvr said:
Which is: GP?

Yes. So obviously I love it. And I take the toll road every day and it only takes me 5 mins to get to the 5 and 7 mins to get to the 405. I also take portola parkway and it?s super fast ?🏻

Portola Parkway can feel like a freeway at times.  haha

Since Portola Springs is priced lower than say Orchard Hills, I'd agree that even the Irvine Company feels that Orchard Hills is higher end.  That said, I'm happy with Portola Springs and the $200K I saved over the same floorplan on smaller lots in Orchard Hills.  We looked at both and thought long and hard before pulling the trigger on the home in Portola Springs.  The status of living in Orchard Hills meant little to me and so I chose the less expensive home in the same great city.  In hindsight, I'm very glad we did not buy in Orchard Hills.  3 years later and still no guard at the gate.  Plus friends that live in Orchard Hills (and that gave us a hard time for buying in Portola) complained for the longest time about the constant construction noise, dust, and traffic at Orchard Hills.

To each their own.  You could say I bought a Hyundai Genesis or whatever; but I'm very pleased with my Hyundai.  BTW, I also bought the Audi R8 instead of the Lambo Huracan.  Similar car but doesn't have the "status" of the Lambo.  Cheaper to buy and maintain.

If hidden canyon is Maserati (Quattroporte I assume) and CVE is Kia K900, then what is reserve at orchard hill and what is eastwood?  ;D

Burn That Belly said:
irvine buyer said:
Since Portola Springs is priced lower than say Orchard Hills, I'd agree that even the Irvine Company feels that Orchard Hills is higher end.  That said, I'm happy with Portola Springs and the $200K I saved over the same floorplan on smaller lots in Orchard Hills.  We looked at both and thought long and hard before pulling the trigger on the home in Portola Springs.  The status of living in Orchard Hills meant little to me and so I chose the less expensive home in the same great city.  In hindsight, I'm very glad we did not buy in Orchard Hills.  3 years later and still no guard at the gate.  Plus friends that live in Orchard Hills (and that gave us a hard time for buying in Portola) complained for the longest time about the constant construction noise, dust, and traffic at Orchard Hills.

To each their own.  You could say I bought a Hyundai Genesis or whatever; but I'm very pleased with my Hyundai.  BTW, I also bought the Audi R8 instead of the Lambo Huracan.  Similar car but doesn't have the "status" of the Lambo.  Cheaper to buy and maintain.

Well good for you! A+ there. Construction dust, noise, and traffic is nothing new and goes with any new construction community. It doesn't matter if its Hidden Canyon (Maserati) or Cypress Village East (Kia K900). A hot selling community will have much more rapid construction than slower releasing phases.

Nobody buys a new car and says "Damn, I gotta rid of this new car smell!" because you can't. You just buy used.

Burn That Belly said:
felixcat said:
If hidden canyon is Maserati (Quattroporte I assume) and CVE is Kia K900, then what is reserve at orchard hill and what is eastwood?  ;D

I think I discussed this in the past. First and foremost, TIC priced EW above PS3/5 but below OH and HC but still above CVE.

EW is the BMW/Merc 1-7 series. OH3 is the ///M, Alpina, or AMG versions of it.

And no. I would say HC is more of the GranTurismo than the Quattroporte. (If you can get the view lots)

Newport Coast/Beach is what we call the lower end lambo, ?raris, aston martins.

Rest of Irvine is a mix of Acura?s, Infiniti?s, Honda?s, and Lexus.

And if you have to ask, Santa Ana is a bicycle.

Lake forest is the Buick.  ;D

BTB- Which car you drive? I am curious :)

Since he?s always on the phone he takes Uber and expenses it to the company or allocates the charges to his clients.

irvine buyer said:
Since Portola Springs is priced lower than say Orchard Hills, I'd agree that even the Irvine Company feels that Orchard Hills is higher end.  That said, I'm happy with Portola Springs and the $200K I saved over the same floorplan on smaller lots in Orchard Hills.  We looked at both and thought long and hard before pulling the trigger on the home in Portola Springs.  The status of living in Orchard Hills meant little to me and so I chose the less expensive home in the same great city. 

Portola Springs didn't have anything much around and near them for many years.  Things can and will be different mainly because of, if Portolar High school and all other newly open public schools go up the rank like Northwood schools and Beckman did.  Also the businesses coming to near Spectrum and the southern part of GP, (too bad Broadcom won't be as big as they thought they would and Amazon HQ is not coming) should help also.

I remember when Woodbury opened, it seemed little too far from old Irvine, but not any more... same thing with all other newly built neighborhoods...

I'm sure, including myself, if folks had more money, they would buy in Orchard Hills or Hidden canyon instead of Portola Springs, but it has good potentials.  I used to live in Westpark 1.  The houses were built in 80s but relatively more expensive mainly because (I think, but also a "central" location) it was slated to Uni high which was quite far.  A couple of years ago, IUSD rezoned it to Woodbridge High, which is popular among white population which is shrinking significantly in Irvine but also tanking on the high school ranking.  I don't think the home price there is going through the roof now.  Same thing with Westpark 2, which was build in early 90s.  A very nice neighborhood with great k-8 school and Woodbridge high zoned only to be rezoned to Irvine high, which is considered "the worst and most ghetto" high school in Irvine.  I know many folks transferred their kids out to Northwood and even moved out of that area so they could avoid sending their kids to Irvine high. it's crazy and bit extreme but that's what happened.  For Portola High, as I mentioned a couple of times, most smart jr high graduates from Jeffery Trails went to Portola instead of Northwood when the new school opened.  I'm thinking the API score gotta be pretty good while sport program may suck in the years to come... :)

So Portola springs 1 and 2 being way out there with nothing around 10 years ago is a different story now with PS 4,5, and possibly 6 with GP being developed hopefully with some retail shops, more parks and recreations, better roads already done, better schools, and businesses near by will only going to help at least sustaining home values.  There is no f'ng way 20% drop in Irvine in 2 years unless there is a catastrophic event happens.  Then it's everywhere not just Irvine and will probably bounce back rather quickly. 

Back