Portola Springs Neighborhood 4B: Brisa, Celeste and Talise

There were tons of people at the grand opening yesterday so we're worried that they will sell quickly and we will miss out on the early phase pricing if we don't jump on it.  :-[
[/quote]

December is never a good time to host a grand opening.  If there were a lot of interested parties at the grand opening this would be a good indicator of demand for this project.  The price points for Brisa and Celeste will appeal to a lot of potential buyers.

eddieuclabruin said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
the.irvine said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Went to the grand opening to register a client and here are the prices...

Brisa - Low $600k to Mid $700k around $500/sf with $333/mo HOA and $3,300/year Mello Roos
Celeste - Mid $700k to Mid $800k also around $500/sf with $245/mo HOA and $3,500/year Mello Roos
Talise - Low $900k to High $900ks over $500/sf with $243/mo HOa and $4,050/year Mello Roos (some of the Plan 4s will have view lots)

WOW. $500/sf+ for detached condos. Is this the new normal?

Friend got a price sheet from Celeste, where 1600 SQFT, Plan 3 is listed at 845K base price+ 35K upgrades= 880. Unbelievable.

Thoughts on the price?

In most parts of Irvine, detached condos are approaching $500/sf (Cypress Village, Eastwood, Stonegate, etc).  I think the pricing is a bit high for Portola Springs personally.  They would have been better served starting around $460-$475/sf and build momentum.  I think it'll take them while to sell all of those homes.

I am considering buying one of the Celeste detached homes at $750k but $511/qt ft. is tough to wrap my brain around. At 1470 sq. ft. it just doesn't give us a lot of extra space to grow into (right now it's just my wife and I). There were tons of people at the grand opening yesterday so we're worried that they will sell quickly and we will miss out on the early phase pricing if we don't jump on it.  :-[

As Roger mentioned, wait a bit and see how the sales are going before you feel the need to dive in.  Most important thing is that you get pre-approved by US Bank (builder's lender) as that will put you on the list to buy and you'll be higher up on the list the sooner you do it.  Many buyers dont like buying in the first 1-2 phases because many builders include pre-selected options that they may not want and is included in the price.  I personally don't think these homes will be selling fast at over $500/sf.

irvine buyer said:
There were tons of people at the grand opening yesterday so we're worried that they will sell quickly and we will miss out on the early phase pricing if we don't jump on it.  :-[

December is never a good time to host a grand opening.  If there were a lot of interested parties at the grand opening this would be a good indicator of demand for this project.  The price points for Brisa and Celeste will appeal to a lot of potential buyers.
[/quote]

There was a crap load of people for the Reserve grand opening and the sales from what I know are doing OK.

Toured Talise this weekend. I like the floorplans with vaulted ceilings, larger downstairs bedrooms, lofts, 3.5 baths, etc. Fitting all of this in 1800-2000 sqft means the rooms are not huge like we're used to in new homes, but it makes the homes more functional.

Seems like from the site map that all 6 phase I homes are still available.

The views from the Model plan 3 and 4 are very nice - view lots will not be available until Phase III and will include a steep premium.

Not sure if they are selling well or not, but I did see a Brisa residence 1 pop up on Redfin:

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/Undisclosed-address-92618/home/144671775?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=1010602_Driving+Tours&utm_source=strongmail

I am close to purchasing one of these homes, but we are concerned about some of the potential environmental issues around the area. Realistically, how concerned should I be about the proximity of these homes to the toll road and to the landfill nearby?

I live at the other end of Tomato Springs.  Researched the landfill before buying and concluded there is no environmental issue.  The technology utilized is state of the art.  You can visit the website to learn more or even visit the landfill...they give tours.  I haven't smelled any odors from that landfill since we moved in back in 2014.  The only odors we suffered from were from the Bee Canyon wash and that was caused by overgrown vegetation.  Once the vegetation was removed the odor disappeared.

We are one row of homes removed from the toll road and the noise from the toll road is minimal.  It is noisier if you are close to Portola Parkway.  I like our location as it is private and we don't get much traffic coming to our street.  Looking forward to when the new sports park opens at the other end of Tomato Springs.

I drive through the area along Portola late at night on some weekends, and I thought it smelled like trash more often than it should. It seems to be only at the lower elevations near the road, because when I drove up to 4B to scout out the are at night, it didn't smell up there. But it would smell along Portola from around Arrowhead all the way to Portola Springs. Definitely makes me a bit nervous about purchasing property in that area.

nyaa, its funny you should mention that.  I have friends that live in Pavilion Park and they can occasionally smell what I'm guessing is the odor from the landfill.  A friend that lived in Woodbury East complained of landfill smell when the winds were stronger.  My guess is that our house is at a lower elevation and close enough to the toll road that the smell from the landfill passes above our house and we don't smell anything. 

eddieuclabruin, I'm told that the odor, if any, would be most obvious in the evening so my advice would be to visit the 4B neighborhood in the evening and see for yourself.

As far as proximity to the landfill and any associated odor, I think that Eastwood, Stonegate, Portola Springs and Pavilion Park are all affected.

I wonder if the winds just shift at night, or if they do some kind of work at night that produces the odor? And is it something that can be corrected if, say, enough complaints go up to the AQMD?

Thanks for your input everyone. Our main concern isn't necessarily our ability to withstand the smell/odor, it is more about any possible health issues that may arise in the future from exposure to landfill.

we have been living in PS from last 4 years, very close 4B location( Brisa etc), and are in the process of buying a bigger( SFH) in the same area(5A). I have several friends who are living here from several years, and are buying more expensive homes as they love it here. So based on this, if it was that bad or was there any concerns, many wouldn't upgrade including myself. In last 4 years, i havent smelled anything neither any health issues. Once you live here, its hard to move out, as it is so nice and quite compared to Eastwood/SG/CV which are over crowded.

+1

If you search this forum you'll see that Portola Springs doesn't get the respect it deserves.  However, I've wondered how many of those who bash the area actually live or have lived in Portola Springs.  Everyone I know that lives there is happy with the area.

Portola Springs is the tustin part of irvine. No shopping, just getting it?s schools bunch of open land

I've lived in Portola Springs for 7-8 years and really like the neighborhood. Portola pkwy is one of the fastest roads in Irvine and helps me actually get to the Marketplace, Foothill Ranch, the Spectrum (via 133), etc. in under 10 minutes.

Never noticed the landfill smell. The toll road can be noisy during rush hour. I have relatives in Stonegate that get more noise from Irvine Blvd than I get from the toll road.

We lived in PS for about 2.5 years before moving. Several occasions where we thought we smelled the landfill but it wasn't everyday and honestly it wasn't that bad. It's been hit or miss speaking with other folks in Lambert, Portola, Pavilion, Stonegate. Some say they smell it, some don't. Some live in higher elevations, others below portola parkway.

I get there are health concerns but given rates of obesity, smoking, diabetes, heart disease, lack of exercise, poor diet, blah blah blah, that landfill should be low on the list of concerns for the average American.

Attachments

• king size homer.png
    king size homer.png
    236.1 KB · Views: 109
irvine buyer said:
+1

If you search this forum you'll see that Portola Springs doesn't get the respect it deserves.  However, I've wondered how many of those who bash the area actually live or have lived in Portola Springs.  Everyone I know that lives there is happy with the area.

Not sure what type of respect you?re looking for but PS has been a hot mess from a master plan standpoint and I think that?s part of the reason it gets bashed. Since this is ?let?s rehash the overpromised and underdelivered villages? week on TI, PS prob ranks up there. Instead of the promised school and community park, they built a whole enclave of motorcourt product. Instead of the promised retail, they finally build a school years after making residents travel and switch for elem school.  Overall the community is disjointed, has higher than average MR (GP products aside) and is far from ?stuff?. Residents will find ways to ?justify? its location but it always trades below other nearby villages and is slower to recover from dips. It?ll be interesting to see how resales fair once everything gets built out, the second elem school opens and the community park is built.

P.S. I was a homeowner in PS.

I have been living in Portola Springs for the past 2 years, and am myself in the process of buying a home in PS.  Obviously I like it here.  I don't mind that it is away from "stuff".  I grew up in San Marino which is far from freeways, and the only supermarkets are in other cities or in the county lines. Had to go to Arcadia, Monterey Park, Alhambra, San Gabriel, etc. for good Asian food; South Pas, Pasadena or Monrovia for good American food. Other than close proximity to schools, nothing was close.  Kind of like PS, but Woodbury and the Zion marketplace aren't that far away.  As another poster mentioned, taking Portola makes it a breeze to access those plazas, in addition to the Pavilions at Orchard Hills, etc.

Regarding the smell. . .I don't know if it is trash, but in the evenings, I can sort of smell a strong herb-y odor, almost reminiscent of eucalyptus.  I am thinking this is from the landfill, and to be honest, it is not at all unpleasant.  I was told not to plant or eat anything from the ground, but I see lots of avocado orchards in the area, and I assume those are being sold and eaten somewhere!  Like other posters have said, I think there are definitely other health concerns to worry about.

WANTED TO ADD:  I think it's entertaining when people put down other areas of the same, wonderful city, and toot their zip code as some sort of status symbol.  People who are so concerned about driving BMWs, owning a home in a particular zip, and belittling others who don't have the same. . .that's kind of sad.  When you have that type of outlook, the things you own end up owning you.  Growing up around money, I learned that I am not defined by my materialistic possessions.  And neither should you!

Back