Orchard Hills - Messina by TRI Pointe Homes

irvinehomeowner said:
Zippohunter said:
Lol!  How many people did you poll and how many converts do you have?
Billions. :)
Yes 3cwg is nice and I know the benefits.  I had one before when I lived in Orange.
Gasp! And you don't miss it?
I can respect your situation and the benefits of a 3cwg.  I can respect your passion and willingness to share. 

But alas people have different needs and tastes.
There can be only one type of garage!

I'm mostly kidding and believe me, I understand the variety of needs and preferences. I'm also a big proponent of formal dining and living room, vaulted ceilings and circular layout but it seems like most people just like that single square 1st floor great room concept that the new homes have pushed on us (even in the 3000sft+ range which baffles me).

I also like the wider footprint a 3CWG homes provides. Our old 3CWG was only about 2500sft but people always thought it was much bigger because of the circular layout, the expanse of the first floor and the vaulted ceilings. Whereas when I tour these 3000sft new homes, they don't feel that large. If you used the vaulted ceiling space and reconfigured the 2nd floor with a loft or even extra bedrooms on the 2nd floor (which many have done), you can easily gain 800-1000 sft which demonstrates how much of a bigger footprint these 3CWG homes had.

But back on topic... does it bother you that the master closet in the Messina models are so tiny? When you're spending over $1m on a home (or in this case over $1.5m)... I would think bigger closets wouldn't be that much to ask for.

Yes I miss my 3CWG and my cathedral ceiling.  But they don't build them anymore and we like new homes better then old ones. 

The closet space is a bit small but it is enough.  I agree with OCgasman.  If it is too big it is a waster of space.

Zippohunter said:
Well a family that bought lot 28 switched and took lot 21 instead.  So lot 21 is not available.  Lot 28 looks big as well but I am trying to figure out why they switched.  I don't see anything wrong with it but am a little hesitant until I study it more carefully.  I did start the prequal process though.

The sales folks said they switched because they wanted the sun in the backyard in the afternoon.  I don't know if I buy that.

The only thing I see is that lot 28 is closer to settlers and the gate.  I don't have an electronic copy of the site map but if you have it can you guys see anything wrong with lot 28?  Has to be more than orientation to the sun.  Also lot 21 lot size is just over 6500 sq ft and lot 28 is just over 6000.

Boy nothing is ever easy.

The family read this thread about how awesome Lot 21 was and switched!

ob1 said:
Zippohunter said:
Well a family that bought lot 28 switched and took lot 21 instead.  So lot 21 is not available.  Lot 28 looks big as well but I am trying to figure out why they switched.  I don't see anything wrong with it but am a little hesitant until I study it more carefully.  I did start the prequal process though.

The sales folks said they switched because they wanted the sun in the backyard in the afternoon.  I don't know if I buy that.

The only thing I see is that lot 28 is closer to settlers and the gate.  I don't have an electronic copy of the site map but if you have it can you guys see anything wrong with lot 28?  Has to be more than orientation to the sun.  Also lot 21 lot size is just over 6500 sq ft and lot 28 is just over 6000.

Boy nothing is ever easy.

The family read this thread about how awesome Lot 21 was and switched!

Well glad someone is happy.

Usually the builder punts you back to the end of the line if a buyer changes their mind after reserving a lot.  They got lucky.

Just got prequalified as non contingent and signed contract for plan 2.  Not telling what lot to protect the guilty.

;D

Cutoff for some options was today so had to scramble to get em in.  Pretty damn excited!

Zippohunter said:
Just got prequalified as non contingent and signed contract for plan 2.  Not telling what lot to protect the guilty.

;D

Cutoff for some options was today so had to scramble to get em in.  Pretty damn excited!
Congrats!  Wow, one day to pick options before a cutoff can be nerve racking. 

Thanks guys.  We spent a few days figuring out what was standard and upgrades on the model so we had an idea but it was still nerve racking.

We upgraded:
Cabinets for whole house
Cabinet knobs
Stairs
Air cleaner
Insulation
Can lights everywhere
Great room built in - price was fair surprisingly.
Master linen cabinet
Bunch of pre wires
Electrical outlets
Solar panels
Tv outlet in the outdoor kitchen - hehe

Counter tops and flooring to come.

PS:

Really wanted the ceiling beams until we found out they were $14,000 just for the kitchen and great room.  I can get ceiling beams for less than half that.

Subzero fridge was $22,000.  Same fridge from Pacific Sales?  $16,000!!!

Zippohunter said:

;D

Congrats! 
Hope you're happy with whatever lot you ended up getting.

DazedandConfused said:
Zippohunter, congrats!  How exciting!  Decorating is the best and worst part.  I'm currently building my home too and have already spent more than I had anticipated/budgeted.  Good luck!

Yes very expensive.  I think we will be spending 100k before landscaping, furniture, casings, crown molding and shutters.  I think it will be 250k when all said and done.

Zippohunter said:
DazedandConfused said:
Zippohunter, congrats!  How exciting!  Decorating is the best and worst part.  I'm currently building my home too and have already spent more than I had anticipated/budgeted.  Good luck!

Yes very expensive.  I think we will be spending 100k before landscaping, furniture, casings, crown molding and shutters.  I think it will be 250k when all said and done.

250k for everything (wow)

Have not been to the sales office in a while.  Nice to see they are selling briskly.  They are going to build on the other side of Fiddlebow though so they won't be done for a while.

messina_zpsbvxcdb6d.jpg

Quick move in Messina's

It does not seem like prices have increased much compared to La Vita.
I notice La Vita's prices have increased $300-500k from phase 1 but Messina, Saviero, Vicenza and Capella have not really skyrocketed as much.

Back