Obsidian by Lennar at Parasol Park

I get the view argument for a 3rd floor great room but for the majority of irvine developments, there is no view and for the ones that do have a view, the view isn't that great. In terms of the NYC penthouse argument, sure, elevator living is a part of everyday life. But so is a concierge that schleps your stuff/packages to your door and various delivery services that bring your groceries, meals, dry cleaning etc.  Here in Irvine, that person is called MOM. So no, I don't think Irvine is ready for the switch.

irvinehomeshopper said:
I am standing in the plan 3 and I am torn in this decision.
I will say this, if I didn't have a good view, then I lean towards having the kitchen on the 1st floor.  Again though, I wouldn't take my opinion too strongly as I'm not in the market for this particular style of home and would much prefer a standard house with a larger yard and in general, I have no desire to live the penthouse style. 

bones said:
I get the view argument for a 3rd floor great room but for the majority of irvine developments, there is no view and for the ones that do have a view, the view isn't that great. In terms of the NYC penthouse argument, sure, elevator living is a part of everyday life. But so is a concierge that schleps your stuff/packages to your door and various delivery services that bring your groceries, meals, dry cleaning etc.  Here in Irvine, that person is called MOM. So no, I don't think Irvine is ready for the switch.
I think the question is more of for those that would buy this style home, with the rooftop deck, would they prefer one vs. the other.  I fully agree with you, if you didn't have a great view, any pluses of kitchen and main living area on 3rd floor get negated (especially given downside of it being hotter up there, general pain of hauling things up, etc).  Then again, I think the reason I wasn't a huge fan of the rooftop homes I walked in to in Irvine is that their isn't any "special" view where you really get a benefit. I felt like your rooftop was squeezed right on and looking directly into another place (vs. having a peekaboo ocean view you'd get if you were near the coast) or the type of view you'd get from a big skyscraper. 

I might be old school, but I prefer the standard home with a larger yard...albeit my dream would be a single story with a view on a nice size lot (not happening if I live in Irvine though, haha). 

Bullsback said:
I might be old school, but I prefer the standard home with a larger yard...albeit my dream would be a single story with a view on a nice size lot (not happening if I live in Irvine though, haha). 
Turtle Rock? Quail Hill?

irvinehomeowner said:
Bullsback said:
Turtle Rock? Quail Hill?

Actually Alta Vista in OH has what he is looking for.  Alta Vista plan 1 is a 4695 s.f. single story home with 4 car garage.  And some lots might have views.

Bullsback said:
It would certainly be unique having the kitchen, etc. on the top with a view. Given the benefits of hosting, etc...again nice to have kind of everything on the floor with the rooftop deck and everything else.

id_rather_be_racing said:
Why not add a Kitchenette+ Option?  I'm assuming there is also space for a BBQ grill on the outdoor deck?

I'm with you guys, a kitchen up there sounds pretty good.  At least the builder should offer it as an option. 

capboba said:
these will be some of the best/better lots in Parasol Park IMO

the views/location on some of the premium lot will be $$$ as you will be next to the eventual bosque when five point finishes it. depending on the elevation height of those decks and the bosque, you can probably see the eventual golf course / agriculture field etc too.

you'll also be near another community park "The Yard Park" - and according to what's drawn up in the great park plans/map, the bosque will have dog park, playground, outdoor theather, etc. (pros/cons there in terms of noise but these are geared for a certain demographic)

You'r right about the Obsidian getting a really good lot at Parasol Park.  And the home next to the Bosque are going to get a really good view of the entire Great Park.  I guess if you want these, better get pre-qualified now. 

Here's another map of Obsidian I've found.

Attachments

• Obsidian map.jpg
    Obsidian map.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 315
IHS - I think all three floor plans are awesome - great job bringing something unique to Irvine.  Something for everyone. My favorite is the plan 3. I would leave plan 3 as is. You can eat where the kitchen is at now then have everyone go to the third floor to hang out. I would buy one of these if they were in Columbus square in Tustin :)

IHS,

IMHO the views are overrated, specially in Irvine. The decks in Ellwood was all the rage and they sold like hotcakes. Now that Ellwood is mostly built out, I have been to few of the decks. Yes, some of them have decent (not great) view , most decks are looking at other people's roofs. I wonder how much of a view would remain once the condos on Mongoose are built out.

Having said all that, If I were a buyer at Obsidian, I would much rather have kitchen on the first floor. That's where we spend lot of time, kids do hw on dining table, crafts, and I have easy access to secondary fridge/freezer in the garage.

So how do you service the elevator?  Annual inspection?  These are probably the only mass produced homes with elevator in Irvine?

Here's the deal breaker:

6D43A9EA-7DCA-40F3-9409-FF5258EB13A0_zpsac5mfqxq.png

$11,212 per year for the mello alone not counting the 1% property tax on the purchase price.  Assuming $400/sq ft, making it a $1.2 million purchase resulting in a $12,000 tax bill.  So ~$2000/month just for the mello and tax.  Same old 2% compound annual increase sweetens the deal. 

How much was Trellis Court again?  $10k cheaper per year?  That's some decent vacation money you're forking over year over year.  Of course Trellis and Obsidian will get different buyers, but the tax picture is oceans apart.

Damn 11k. I'm still surprised how MR has held up. It is clearly a tax. Our MR is a tad under 7k for a 3000 sq ft home. And I used to think that was high.

Traditional 30yr mortgage with 20% down yields a $4500 monthly payment, let's say $150 monthlies for HOA....getting close to $7k per month.  Ouch.  How much you gotta make to qualify for a $7000 payment?

And I was complaining about Measure E.....

ps9 said:
Here's the deal breaker:

6D43A9EA-7DCA-40F3-9409-FF5258EB13A0_zpsac5mfqxq.png

$11,212 per year for the mello alone not counting the 1% property tax on the purchase price.  Assuming $400/sq ft, making it a $1.2 million purchase resulting in a $12,000 tax bill.  So ~$2000/month just for the mello and tax.  Same old 2% compound annual increase sweetens the deal. 

How much was Trellis Court again?  $10k cheaper per year?  That's some decent vacation money you're forking over year over year.  Of course Trellis and Obsidian will get different buyers, but the tax picture is oceans apart.

$1,700 annually w/ no 2% annual increase.  HOA a bit high with 2 total @ $252, but the MR is nothing compared to BP and now Parasol Park (PS2?).

I love the modern elevations and floorplans, but there's no way I could stomach a 2k/mo. tax bill.

We're perfectly happy with our Trellis Court unit and being able to walk to Great Park within 5 minutes.

Back