New High School Boundaries

I have to admit I (a Caucasian) am often lost in thought while walking around and am probably more oblivious than I should be, even to the point of being on the phone (even caught myself testing like a teenager, I wonder when there will be a law or at least a city ordinance against walking and testing). I tend not to acknowledge people I encounter, though not by intention. Similarly, I don't particularly notice the ethnicity of those I am not acknowledging or manage to acknowledge. Not trying to be 'politically correct' per se, here, either, just something I noticed about my distracted self.

As far as High School boundaries are, you can't help but appreciate the IUSD just about anywhere you land in Irvine, with our without acknowledgement from your neighbors as you go out for a walk.

valueoc said:
I have to admit I (a Caucasian) am often lost in thought while walking around and am probably more oblivious than I should be, even to the point of being on the phone (even caught myself testing like a teenager, I wonder when there will be a law or at least a city ordinance against walking and testing). I tend not to acknowledge people I encounter, though not by intention. Similarly, I don't particularly notice the ethnicity of those I am not acknowledging or manage to acknowledge. Not trying to be 'politically correct' per se, here, either, just something I noticed about my distracted self.

As far as High School boundaries are, you can't help but appreciate the IUSD just about anywhere you land in Irvine, with our without acknowledgement from your neighbors as you go out for a walk.

You mean texting right?? 

homer_simpson said:
valueoc said:

Dang auto correct gets you every time  ;D

ZeroLot said:
Coleman said:
I think people are generalizing a bit too much.  Given the right circumstances, I am pretty sure most people will acknowledge a greeting.  Unless your appearance is "iffy" and the other person's mentality is if I can't see them, they can't see me.

There is quite a bit of generalization and stereotyping but there's always some truth behind it all. 

Also there's not much time for the "right circumstances" because people are just passing by most of the time ... unless you run into the same person every day in the neighborhood.  Even then I do notice the older aZn folks tend to go out of their way to ignore most greetings compared to the younger aZn crowd.  It's like against their belief to acknowledge someone without a proper introduction from a trusted friend, which I believe is the case with some cultures.

Maybe the problem is that one may be saying NI HAO instead of NIN HAO.  Where's the manners these days?  :p

Coleman said:
ZeroLot said:
Coleman said:
I think people are generalizing a bit too much.  Given the right circumstances, I am pretty sure most people will acknowledge a greeting.  Unless your appearance is "iffy" and the other person's mentality is if I can't see them, they can't see me.

There is quite a bit of generalization and stereotyping but there's always some truth behind it all. 

Also there's not much time for the "right circumstances" because people are just passing by most of the time ... unless you run into the same person every day in the neighborhood.  Even then I do notice the older aZn folks tend to go out of their way to ignore most greetings compared to the younger aZn crowd.  It's like against their belief to acknowledge someone without a proper introduction from a trusted friend, which I believe is the case with some cultures.

Maybe the problem is that one may be saying NI HAO instead of NIN HAO.  Where's the manners these days?  :p

coleman - I believe the term you are looking for is Konichiwa.

I can text better than I can type! Lol (see, that was text speak...). Yes, I meant 'texting' though my teenager can be testing at times also...

Can somebody who has read this thread & is up-to-date on info regarding the future schools (whatever there is to know, even if it's not much) please PM me. I have some questions that are private that you might be able to help me with.

Here are the actual slides from the meeting:
http://iusd.org/board_of_education/documents/FacilitiesSS-HSBoundaries01-21-14.pdf

58a04499f19c56f5a6171030ff19f637_zps021471d7.jpg

Not finalized...

Wow...this is no good for CV.

Irvine High School: The area bordered by Jamboree Road, Irvine Center Drive, Culver Drive and Barranca Parkway from goes Woodbridge High to Irvine High. This will not include the non-contiguous elementary boundary area assigned to Stonecreek Elementary bordered by Jamboree Road, Irvine Center Drive, Harvard Avenue, and Moffett Drive, with the remaining assigned to Woodbridge High. Cypress Village will remain assigned to Irvine High.

A lot of parents complained that Woodbury fed into Irvine rather than Northwood.  Of course, there is probably going to be a HS 6 in a few years so it may not matter much.

Irvinecommuter said:

Irvine High School: The area bordered by Jamboree Road, Irvine Center Drive, Culver Drive and Barranca Parkway from goes Woodbridge High to Irvine High. This will not include the non-contiguous elementary boundary area assigned to Stonecreek Elementary bordered by Jamboree Road, Irvine Center Drive, Harvard Avenue, and Moffett Drive, with the remaining assigned to Woodbridge High. Cypress Village will remain assigned to Irvine High.

A lot of parents complained that Woodbury fed into Irvine rather than Northwood.  Of course, there is probably going to be a HS 6 in a few years so it may not matter much.

So do you think the new high school will be better than Irvine High?

i think any new high school will soon top the list of best high school in irvine, at least based on test scores.  the new developments are hardcore asians who make education their top priority. so to answer your question. yes.

ukuoy said:
Irvinecommuter said:

So do you think the new high school will be better than Irvine High?

Yes because new schools in general get the most attention from the district.  Irvine and Woodbridge are seen as the least desirable HS (still great but not as good as Uni or Northwood).

You also get a cluster factor in which the newer schools are built near newer and more expensive areas, which generally means higher test scores.

3 year API average has Irvine and Woodbridge at 879, Uni at 911, and Northwood at 913.

http://api.cde.ca.gov/acnt2014/apiavgdst.aspx?cYear=&allcds=3073650&cChoice=2013BDst

According to the article, there might be a strong possibility that HS#6 includes Hidden Canyon by Los Olivos. I would assume Laguna Altura would be included too.

HS#5 will always struggle due to its location. Involved students tend to be the most successful and I doubt students will choose to stick around a school so far away or return after leaving.

Irvine HS is still a really good HS, people have a hard time accepting this just because it's old. All IUSD HSs are strong in comparison.

Kangen.Irvine said:
According to the article, there might be a strong possibility that HS#6 includes Hidden Canyon by Los Olivos. I would assume Laguna Altura would be included too.

HS#5 will always struggle due to its location. Involved students tend to be the most successful and I doubt students will choose to stick around a school so far away or return after leaving.

Irvine HS is still a really good HS, people have a hard time accepting this just because it's old. All IUSD HSs are strong in comparison.

Of course Irvine HS is still very good...but compared to Uni and Northwood, it is not "as good." 

I am almost certain that HS #5 will be very good based upon the students it draws upon and the high property values. 

I don't know where you see the part in the article where HS #6 would including Los Olivos and Hidden Canyon.  I think it would make much more sense to have HS# 6 near Stonegate, OH, Woodbury, and Area 5B and HS #5 basically serving the GP.

Back