Nest Thermostat

One thing that concerns me about these "smarter" thermostats is how often does it cycle the AC?

I've read the increased cycling of the AC can make the compressor work harder and break down faster.

You got me on #1.

#2 I've had issues with new or resale... and since ps9 is the Nest guinea pig... I don't remember if he replaced or repaired his AC.

I'm running my AC till it blows, its going on 15 years.  Turns on with a huge racket every time, kinda like how an old car starts up, bet my neighbors hate that.  Recharged with freon last year, Nest added a month ago, so far so good.

Got the Honeywell 9000 thermostat all dialed in on the apple app and online....loving it!  Nothing beats coming home to a cool house after showing homes in this heat and humidity.

ps9 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
eyephone said:
Did you install it?
Nah, I had my AC guy install it since they were out doing the annual service on my AC. 

Was the wall plate necessary?  Think it would look better without, unless it was a gaping hole.
Yeah my old thermostat was bigger and there is an unpainted area that the Honeywell unit didn't cover.  I'll get around to removing it and painting the open spots.

USCTrojanCPA said:
Got the Honeywell 9000 thermostat all dialed in on the apple app and online....loving it!  Nothing beats coming home to a cool house after showing homes in this heat and humidity.

great looking unit.

One issue I'm having with the Nest now is that it's not learning fast enough.  My SCE bill last month was a whopping 280.00, so I decided to turn up the Nests, but it keep reverting back to the lower temperature that I've been using.  I guess it's going to take a week for it to learn my new preference.  Too lazy to go and manually change all the schedules.  This is one of those times I wish it wasn't so smart.

ps9 said:
AF9F296D-A03B-4B1C-A32C-E508823854F0_zpsjrlstewy.jpg

First rush hour notice, gonna get paid tomorrow!

Just looked up my bill:

PTR participation
PTR credit Jul 14 '14 10 kWh x -$1.25000 -$12.50

Got paid $12!  Easy money.  Another Power Day this coming Monday.  Used 800 kWh last bill, SCE is projecting my bill to be around 1000 kWh upcoming.  I can use some credits!  That's like 6 McD's jalapeno cheeseburgers!

ps9 said:
Just looked up my bill:

PTR participation
PTR credit Jul 14 '14 10 kWh x -$1.25000 -$12.50

Got paid $12!  Easy money.  Another Power Day this coming Monday.  Used 800 kWh last bill, SCE is projecting my bill to be around 1000 kWh upcoming.  I can use some credits!  That's like 6 McD's jalapeno cheeseburgers!

I was enrolled in this program last year, but just realized that I have to re-enroll every year.  Signed up again, hoping I can catch the tail end of this.  Nest should keep the information in their system, I was doing this on my iPad and had to switch the tabs back and forth between the Nest sign up page and the SCE page to enter my account number.  iPad was acting weird and every time I switch tabs, it refreshes the page, so I had to start over several times.  Had to finally invoke my untapped brain power and memorize the SCE account number, that hurt the brain a little.

Next months bill is well over 1029 kwh and I still got 3 days to go.  Should hit around $270 and with a $12 credit for the save power day on 8/4

Back