Nest Thermostat

WTTCMN said:
Oops fat finger thank you.  why won't the wifey let you do honeywell?
Good question.

She's afraid of having our home stuff connected to the Internet. She thinks some nefarious hacker will heat and cool our home when we aren't there.

Yet... she uses those banking apps on her phone that lets her scan checks to deposit... go figure.

ps9 said:
But mine is round and purty!  Beat that!
That's what qwerchete said!

yes-baby-fist-pump.jpg

thatOSguy said:
GH said:
thatOSguy said:
Nest doesn't know when your windows are open, does it? The Honeywell gives you absolute control, remotely if desired.

Absolute control comes at a price of little extra complexity and learning curve.  Personally I think Honeywell is technically superior, but I will give the ease of use hands down to Nest.

It also costs more to run.

Here's the thing: there are many times when I simply don't want the AC to go on. Period. I want to do everything possible to prevent the AC going on, especially since we're Time of Use so running the AC during the day is super expensive for us. In the evenings, for instance, I want to open my windows and let air flow in to the rooms. However, from 12am-6am, I'm fine with running the AC. Let it BLOW!

How does the nest "know" that I want to do that? Motion detection and temperature sensing can only go so far.

You can actually turn off "Nest Sense" so that it strictly follows the schedule you put in the Nest (Based on experience, it still actually follows the schedule in general even if the Nest Sense is turned on but it sometimes override it and eventually change your schedule if you keep on manually changing the temperature outside the schedule).  What I meant by technically better is from what I read that Honeywell temp sensor fluctuation is a little under +/- 1 F while Nest can be as high as +/- 3 F.

irvinehomeowner said:
WTTCMN said:
Good question.

She's afraid of having our home stuff connected to the Internet. She thinks some nefarious hacker will heat and cool our home when we aren't there.

Yet... she uses those banking apps on her phone that lets her scan checks to deposit... go figure.

Just rip it off the wall then...  That's an easy exit :)

Wait... who opens their windows in Irvine?

With chainsmoking neighbors who constantly slam their doors and are always cooking something with shrimp paste, I would say more windows are closed than open.

yeah i dont get the benefit of the nest over the honeywell thermostat. 

and IHO - im disappointed to hear you need permission from your wife to get the new thermostat. next time ask yourself, WWQwercheteD

ps9 said:
irvinehomeowner said:
WTTCMN said:
Good question.

Just rip it off the wall then...  That's an easy exit :)
Can't if we aren't home.

Need to create a Roomba with a Nest removal arm.

Segue: Does anyone here have a Roomba? I would think those would never see Prime Time but I found out a friend uses one (not sure if he still does).

qwerty said:
and IHO - im disappointed to hear you need permission from your wife to get the new thermostat. next time ask yourself, WWQwercheteD
It's not just the permission... it's the expense.

Us 99%ers fret over any amount over $5. It took me years just to get that $99 chair.

irvinehomeowner said:
Segue: Does anyone here have a Roomba? I would think those would never see Prime Time but I found out a friend uses one (not sure if he still does).

I have a Neato, which was said to be better than a Roomba when I was researching the lazy man's vacuum.  I have it set to run every weekend when we're out.  In the last 6 months I had it, it has only completed vacuuming the entire upstairs once.  All other times, it got stuck under the bed, under the chair, under TV cabinet, under the nightstand...etc.  Now it is permanently displaying "My right wheel is stuck" message, and Neato hasn't responded to my warranty request I sent a week ago. 

It's not ready for Prime Time.

thatOSguy said:
GH said:
You can actually turn off "Nest Sense" so that it strictly follows the schedule you put in the Nest (Based on experience, it still actually follows the schedule in general even if the Nest Sense is turned on but it sometimes override it and eventually change your schedule if you keep on manually changing the temperature outside the schedule).  What I meant by technically better is from what I read that Honeywell temp sensor fluctuation is a little under +/- 1 F while Nest can be as high as +/- 3 F.

The whole point of the Nest is that it's smart. Disabling the "sense" feature removes its whole purpose in life. Traditional AC requires the windows closed. Does it know if the windows are closed? Sounds like NO. Can it integrate with, for instance, security products to obtain this info, then warn before engaging (or at least give you the option)? There's an API, but nothing real yet. What about a "hey, let me open my windows for a few hours" mode? Nope.  Is there knowledge of time of use metering to minimize expense? No - Nest support says "just schedule it for off peak hours." Uhh, ok?

Nest/Google either needs to add real world use cases before it is ready for primetime (yes, I went there). For now, it seems like a neat toy - it has the look and design of something smart, but is really very limited in its practicality. Sortof like a handsomely dressed college student with no real world experience. I'll take the homely yet practical and precise Honeywell, thank you very much.

OS, I agree with you in terms of practically and preciseness.. However, my point is some people does not want the complexity of having to program their thermostat and change it as their schedule change etc.  Some just want to install the Nest, turn it on when needed, set it to away when going out etc, all with ease. 

It also doesn't help that Honeywell priced their similar model around the same as Nest, so for non-technical people, for the same price point, they would pick Nest and it does show from the Sales of Nest vs its Honeywell counterpart.    If the Honeywell 9000 would have been much cheaper compared to Nest, we would probably have kept it, but for the same price, personally its not worth the effort of MrsGH having to bug me every now and then on why the thermostat is not turning off and on as it should and asking me to change the settings/schedule etc.

thatOSguy said:
GH do you keep your windows closed?

Not all, for air circulation (Mrs GH will get a headache if we keep all the windows close at night).   

OS, I have no doubt that Honeywell works better for your family's profile.  I'm just presenting the other side on which profile can benefit from Nest over honeywell... that's all.  The technology is somewhat new, some people can look past the deficiency of the technology for the design and ease of use, some can't .. that's all ..  It's the same as living in a TIC village, some can get past living without a yard to live in a TIC village, some can't ...

Wow thanks guys for all this wonderful user input on the Nest vs Honeywell. 

But the bottom line for me is does it save on the electric bill if I installed one?  Will the smart monitoring help save energy costs?  I'm currently running $200+ a month, aka I can buy a Nest or Honeywell every month based on the Zerolot house usage. 

I have currently reduced the baby to wearing her birthday suit all over the house just so I don't have to use the AC during the day.  I'd like to be able to put some of those pretty clothes I buy her back on.

ZeroLot said:
Wow thanks guys for all this wonderful user input on the Nest vs Honeywell. 

But the bottom line for me is does it save on the electric bill if I installed one?  Will the smart monitoring help save energy costs?  I'm currently running $200+ a month, aka I can buy a Nest or Honeywell every month based on the Zerolot house usage. 

I have currently reduced the baby to wearing her birthday suit all over the house just so I don't have to use the AC during the day.  I'd like to be able to put some of those pretty clothes I buy her back on.

Save money on electricity .. definitely YES.  If it is worth the $200+ cost.. that's debatable or depends on the individual. 

Personally, I think the foremost advantage is increased comfort level and ability to change anytime, anywhere to suit your immediate need and save money in the process.  For example, in our case, our thermostat is set to 75F at night during spring/summer, but if it is windy cool outside (we the window at night), we can remotely set it higher at night so it does not turn on (If we have to get out of bed to change the thermostat --- forget about it).

Also, good thing about Nest, it send you monthly statistics of your use and other detailed information.  If you bother to read them, this somewhat forced you to be conscious of your energy use and nudge you towards energy savings.

irvinehomeowner said:

We had a Roomba, and gave it up. It couldn hardly do one room before the brushes needed to be cleaned, the dirt canister needed to be emptied. For the amount of time I was spending maintaining it, I could have easily pulled out a vacuum cleaner and vacuumed the whole room.

doesnt the only thing that really matters is whether you can control the thermostat remotely? unless the nest knows exactly what im thinking and does what im thinking, i dont see the benefit over the honeywell.

Back