Laguna Altura is HOT!

Funkie said:
Neighbors that keep to themselves are WAY better than neighbors that are nosy, want to know all about your business.

I am fine w/ just greeting each other.  If the chemistry is there, exchange phone numbers and so on. 

Tyler wants to get real close and personal with the neighbors wives.  ;D

My neighbors do not have to be my friends, just like my co-workers do not have to be my friends. 
I can make friends outside of ppl on my street.

I think good neighbors are ppl that will keep the yard clean and presentable, park their cars in garage, use neutral window coverings, and do not have loud parties.  I don't need to be friends w/ them, greeting each other when we see each other is good enough. 

I had a neighbor that fixed my broken sprinkler when i was away because water was leaking into his yard.  He was great, but also paid too much attention to what I was doing.  I didn't mind as long as he continued to fix stuff for me.  And he did fix a broken flagstone on my entry steps afterwards, I guess it bothered him more than it bothered me.  All good.

jamboreedude said:
paperboyNC said:
There is one next door neighbor with kids similar aged to mine that never talks to us.

I bet they are Asians?

Almost all of my neighbors are Asians. We've gotten to know 3 of the Asian families pretty well. Yes the ones that don't talk are Asian too.

paperboyNC said:
jamboreedude said:
paperboyNC said:
There is one next door neighbor with kids similar aged to mine that never talks to us.

I bet they are Asians?

Almost all of my neighbors are Asians. We've gotten to know 3 of the Asian families pretty well. Yes the ones that don't talk are Asian too.

The Asians that do talk are usually Asian-Americans.

jamboreedude said:
paperboyNC said:

The Asians that do talk are usually Asian-Americans.

Not in my case. Their accents are very hard to understand.

This thread now reminds me of good old Round Corners and his favorite topic. I wonder how he is doing with his Long Beach apartment complex.

tyler... i agree with u... irvines particularly full of passive aggressive, non-confrontational, and/or socially akward ppl...

but with that said, the difference between u and i is i can live with it... u cant seem to take it...

so i hate to break it to u... but if ur complaining now, it all just means u did not do ur due diligence or hw before u bought... sounds harsh, but thats been my rule of thumb since childhood, if i am complaining about something, most if not ALL the time, its because of my own fault, miscalculation, or idiocy... i just dont want to admit it...

also from my observation, this isnt just isolated to be an "asian" thing either... out of the 12 units of my immediate block, 2 white units dont even bother to wave and 2 asian units are the same... and one unit that waves, if they have something to complain (like something in my yard showing 3-4 inches above the communal wall), they dont wave me down and talk to me, they write directly to HOA instead LOL (how silly is that, its so obvious who is complaining u know what i mean??)...

anyways... blame urself... this is the "new" irvine culture, let alone a "new" community inside "new" irvine... again, i hate to break it to u, but moving to another "new" location like the one south of lake forest which is still in "new" irvine" will just net u the same results...

or if ur baller, u can do what my friends grandparents did... my friends grandparents and 3 of their close friends just bought a plot of land and built 4 mansions next to each other... when they passed away and their descendants wanted to sell, the other folks still alive or their descendants would just pretty much say "name ur price" and buy it so its either friend or family living next to u at all times... i remember they even had their own communal make shift farm where some maid grew home made organic veggies for all the households... LOL... now THATS baller...

'MERICA~ FVCK YEAH~ said:
also from my observation, this isnt just isolated to be an "asian" thing either... out of the 12 units of my immediate block, 2 white units dont even bother to wave

Imhwo, they have been conditioned not to wave due to other Asians prior to you not waving back.  It sends a message. You may also look foreign (whether you realize it or not) which doesn't help in the decision to wave to you. This is what happened to me. I would always wave. I'd usually just get stares back or a complete & total ignore, no wave / ditch eye contact as if I'm invisible. Finally, I just stopped waving. I save the waves for somebody who will acknowledge it which is usually other Americans or Americanized people. One lady from the middle east told me I fit their country's stereotype of the "smiling, friendly American" because I am "always smiling" and talking to her but she said it in a way like it was silly / foolish to be bubbly. She literally commented on it every time I saw her. It seemed to be some kind of joke to her at my expense. She still would never wave to me when we would see each other in the car. It makes people not want to try when experience tells you what kind of reaction you will get in return.

why is it ridiculous?... u bought in the first few phases... then if u KNEW u wanted welcoming neighbors, then u should have waited a few phases then n see who buys... whyd u rush if this was ur priority?... also just scrolling through the older posts on this forum as well as the old OC real estate board prior to talkirvine, u see this complaint come up all the time... and even before the recession, stats in irvine already said around 20-25% of the buyers in irvine were foreign (i forgot the exact amount)... granted now its 25-30% i think... the increase to me isnt that dramatic... u should have seen it coming...so to me ur just making excuses for urself... when u first bought did u assume ud have great neighbors even though it was completely new? or did u acknowledge it was a risk u were taking? the same issue had been mentioned in portola, woodbury, n stonegate... did u really think lag alt would be different? lol... or did u buy into irvine pacifics rhetoric and fancy brochures then and now ur upset they lied? lol... have u ever been proactive and knocked on ppls doors or have ur wife bring over cookies?... if yes and they still treat u with a cold shoulder then sure i can understand u then... but if u havent been proactive then, quite simply its ur own fault

im not worrying... i expected this and i also expected higher sales and turnaround in newer neighborhoods... so its natural to see folks like u want to move... im sure its the same in all the other new developments...

i also like ur rhetoric about the gov shutdown... sure u cant straight out prevent it... but for those on furlough, this is something ppl can position themselves way in advance so 1) they arent impacted or the impact is minimized 2) they position themselves to actually profit from it... how many times has congress come to a gridlock and threatened to shutdown in the past few years?... i dont think the shut down came out of nowhere... its almost like working for a company u know is going bankrupt... if companies going bankrupt, do u wait for it to happen or do u proactively start looking for another job/career while its still semi-alive? what do u do with ur stock/options? wait for it to become a penny stock before u do anything? ... u see what im getting at here?

I find Latin Americans to be the most community minded neighbors, and Asians to be the least.
Everyone else is in between these two.

Irvine being very Asian you would expect more coldness.

zubs said:
I find Latin Americans to be the most community minded neighbors, and Asians to be the least.
Everyone else is in between these two.

Irvine being very Asian you would expect more coldness.

we have warm blood running through our veins. the chinese have ice.

Back