IUSD does away with traditional math path

zubs said:
I'm sure IUSD & LAUSD have the same educational training, but I refuse to believe that IUSD teachers & admin have some sooper sekret formula that makes them so much better.  So what's the difference?

Teaching the spawn of rich Asians is easier than teaching Jamal from the crips.

I don't like how you threw Jamal under the bus. I believe there is a way to teach under performing students. But it will take principles/teachers like from the movie Stand and Deliver/Lean on Me. There are real cases of this happening, but not enough.

#DontGiveUpOnOurFuture

Happiness said:
Your destiny in life is determined by three things:

1.  Genes
2.  Preparation
3.  Luck

Education falls into category 2 - Preparation.

Based on my keen sense of observation over many decades, I give the following weight to the destiny factors:

1.  Genes 10%
2.  Preparation 15%
3.  Luck 75%

So don't sweat the education too much, it won't make that much of a difference in the end.

Frank Grimes did everything right but he could never win because he was unlucky.
Homer Simpson did everything wrong but he is a success because he has better luck.

Agree 100% with the allocation.

SoCal said:
qwerty said:
its funny, there is a thread to trash TUSD, but the reality, is that when it comes to actual administration, IUSD and probably all districts are just as bad.  everyone thinks IUSD is great because of the high APIs, but it really comes down to the fact that 50% of the students are asian, whose parents are obsessed with making them get good grades and in general high income folks who produce smart offspring and emphasize education.  if you switch the TUSD with IUSD administration there would be no difference in APIs.

I was kind of with you until the last sentence and a half. China, Japan, etc. are *conformist societies*. Quite different from us. If a group of Mexican and P.W.T. kids were given free Kumon every day and twice on Sundays, assigned to IUSD schools, etc., I don't think it would actually change much. They and their parents just don't care as much about impressing others with academic achievement and definitions of what "doing well" means are different. Successes are not as strongly celebrated. Failures are not as deeply felt. It just doesn't mean as much all-around. It's just kind of -  meh, whatevs. Just my 2 cents.  :) I'm curious to know your thoughts since you and I have something in common in that we are obviously different from the majority on T.I.

Yeah I would agree that Mexicans in general don't prioritize education. My mom and dad only had an elementary education. My dad was a very smart man for someone of his education level, he had inherent intelligence but due to his circumstance he was never more than a laborer. My whole educational career my parents never even asked about my grades. If I never shared my grades with them it wouldn't have mattered to them. My dad was just happy he was able to bring his family to the US so we could have a chance at better life because that was not
Going to happen in Mexico for us. As far As he was concerned he achieved his version of the American dream, giving us a shot. When I graduated from USC my goal was to make six figures by 30, did that at 28. Then my next goal was to make 200k by 35, did that at 30. Then 500k at 40, still working on that one.

Thanks pops.

I'm sure there are many stories on this board like mine. In many cases the parents were able to hit it big which is even more impressive considering they came here with nothing and in many cases didn't even know English when they got here.

zubs said:
I'm sure IUSD & LAUSD have the same educational training, but I refuse to believe that IUSD teachers & admin have some sooper sekret formula that makes them so much better.  So what's the difference?

Teaching the spawn of rich Asians is easier than teaching Jamal from the crips.
It's not that they are better... it's that they can concentrate more on teaching than on counseling.

That's why I said chicken/egg. It's not just good parents/kids, there also has to be good teachers and admins... or like you said, they get complaints. The driven parents keep the staff in line.

That's my same point, good + good = better, but good + i don't care = not so good.

It takes a village.

QWERTY - if you don't mind, what portion of your income is off of day trading or outside of your W2 job?

just curious

Coleman said:
QWERTY - if you don't mind, what portion of your income is off of day trading or outside of your W2 job?

just curious

I Only have two sources of income, w2 and trading. For 2014, 18% of my income came from trading.

This is also the new common core math according to my dog. :)

edu68.gif

Happiness said:
So don't sweat the education too much, it won't make that much of a difference in the end.

I have to disagree with you that education doesn't make a difference at the end. If your ever involved in new hire recruiting from college or even traditional hiring, education is a major part.

eyephone said:
Happiness said:

I have to disagree with you that education doesn't make a difference at the end. If your ever involved in new hire recruiting from college or even traditional hiring, education is a major part.

So when I was at the big 4, the LA office would recruit from usc and ucla, the irvine office would recruit from uci/chapman/Fullerton/long beach and the valley office would recruit from northridge. So you could go to usc, a top 5 accountng school and compete with the best of the best or you could go to one of the other schools against inferior competition and still get into the big 4

qwerty said:
eyephone said:
Happiness said:

So when I was at the big 4, the LA office would recruit from usc and ucla, the irvine office would recruit from uci/chapman/Fullerton/long beach and the valley office would recruit from northridge. So you could go to usc, a top 5 accountng school and compete with the best of the best or you could go to one of the other schools against inferior competition and still get into the big 4

Yes, you can get into a big 4 from a lesser school but you can be lower in your class if you come from a better school  So the great thing about going to a better school is you can slack off and still get hired by a prestigious firm.

eyephone said:
Happiness said:

It's not that education makes no difference, it does, but just not as much as people think.

There is also the danger of over education.  People of low potential tend to use their credentials and education, especially in nonscientific fields such as education or administration, as a substitute for performance.  They believe that because they are highly educated, their opinions DESERVE serious consideration even though they have very little real world accomplishments.

qwerty said:
eyephone said:
Happiness said:

That was the path I took...Big 4 alum...CSUF alum. 

Happiness said:
qwerty said:
eyephone said:
Happiness said:

Yes, you can get into a big 4 from a lesser school but you can be lower in your class if you come from a better school  So the great thing about going to a better school is you can slack off and still get hired by a prestigious firm.
I don't know it that's correct. But you can think that.

eyephone said:
Happiness said:
qwerty said:
eyephone said:
Happiness said:

I think to get big 4, the focus is less on the particular school and more in your grades and partcipation / networking skills (+ all important ability to not choke during an interview).  I guess the statistic might hold true in an office like LA (where a larger % comes from two feeder schools (UCLA / USC) but in OC, you can pretty much view Fullerton / USC / UCI / UCSB / BYU as the primary feeder schools to the OC big 4 (Chapman and LBSU also but not to the extent of the other schools). 

Bullsback said:
eyephone said:
Happiness said:
qwerty said:
eyephone said:
Happiness said:

I think to get big 4, the focus is less on the particular school and more in your grades and partcipation / networking skills (+ all important ability to not choke during an interview).  I guess the statistic might hold true in an office like LA (where a larger % comes from two feeder schools (UCLA / USC) but in OC, you can pretty much view Fullerton / USC / UCI / UCSB / BYU as the primary feeder schools to the OC big 4 (Chapman and LBSU also but not to the extent of the other schools). 

Said another way, not once when I went through the hiring process (as mgr / sr. mgr) did we ever go, we should discount X person's GPA because they went to a lesser school or we should take X over Y despite GPA and everything else being equal because they went to X school vs. Y.  Some rare circumstances where schools would come into play were more in terms of future ability to recruit (was the crop weak this year and thus we should bring at least 1 person to ensure we have someone on campus to actually recruit / have a presence). Also, if candidates were equal, sometimes a differentiator would be the involvement and the ability for X to push the top candidates to your particular firm. 

That said...candidates seem to have stronger resumes today than they did when I went through the first process. I probably wouldn't have been hired, haha. 

Back