IUSD does away with traditional math path

sentosa said:
so what happen to all the money thown for developing the common core books ? now they need more new books ?
that's where our tax money is going to. this is no difference than robbery.

now the new math path teaches exponent & pattens like this:

year 1 ----------- screw-up
year 2 ----------- screw-up ^ 2
year 3 ----------- screw-up ^ 3

question: what's the screw-up in 2020 ?

you nailed it on the head. #WhereDidTheMulaGo

its funny, there is a thread to trash TUSD, but the reality, is that when it comes to actual administration, IUSD and probably all districts are just as bad.  everyone thinks IUSD is great because of the high APIs, but it really comes down to the fact that 50% of the students are asian, whose parents are obsessed with making them get good grades and in general high income folks who produce smart offspring and emphasize education.  if you switch the TUSD with IUSD administration there would be no difference in APIs.

From iusd website faq:

What are the differences between 'Traditional' Math (Algebra 1, Geometry and Algebra 2) and Integrated Math (Math I, Math II, and Math III)?

Both 'Traditional' Math and Integrated Math cover the exact same standards. As such, they represent an equal pathway to higher mathematics, including AP Calculus.

Since they are the same standard, what's the purpose of charging.
They think people are just stupid enough to believe in all this BS?

And there is this 70 member committee to discuss this standard for months? I want to know how much money are spent just to discuss this BS! And guess what, I want to be on it and get paid as well!

There are 4 criteria that will be looked at for 6th graders to get into the "enhanced math" path, which is essentially doing 3 years of math in 2 years:

Student must have 3 of the 4.  Apparently if you don't have 3 of the 4, you can appeal:

1) Student must have an A in every report card period
2) 80% pass rate on some test assessment and there are 3 key subsets in that exam that the student must get >90%
3) There will be a basic skills exam that student must get >90%
4) Teacher appraisal of readiness

The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if they made that 6th grade test last year so hard for current 7th graders that there aren't that many current 7th graders doing Algebra now (and especially when we received the letter telling us they strongly urge parents not to put kids in Algebra if they didn't pass that test).  They are phasing out the traditional path, so there aren't that many 7th graders doing Algebra.  If a 7th grader does have Algebra, the kid will continue on the Tradtional math path.  So, next year's 8th graders will be a mix of Integrated Math and Traditional path(those that are going to do geometry as 8th graders).

sentosa said:
From iusd website faq:

What are the differences between 'Traditional' Math (Algebra 1, Geometry and Algebra 2) and Integrated Math (Math I, Math II, and Math III)?

Both 'Traditional' Math and Integrated Math cover the exact same standards. As such, they represent an equal pathway to higher mathematics, including AP Calculus.

Since they are the same standard, what's the purpose of charging.
They think people are just stupid enough to believe in all this BS?

And there is this 70 member committee to discuss this standard for months? I want to know how much money are spent just to discuss this BS! And guess what, I want to be on it and get paid as well!
From what I've read, Traditional Math is discrete, year 1 you do Algebra I, year 2 you do Geometry, year 3 you do Algebra II/Trig.

In Integrated Math, you learn the concepts together, so year 1 you could do Algebra I and some Geometry, year 2 you could do Alegebra I/II and Geometry and Trig, etc etc.

One advantage I can see is that you can immediately see the type of math aptitude kids have and teach them accordingly. Who knows, if you do well enough in Math I, maybe they skip you up to Math III the following year (or they introduce an advanced path).

Unfortunately they don't have the PowerPoint they used at the meeting (maybe after all the informational sessions they will put it up), but they had a chart with 3 columns:  Math 1, Math 2, Math 3.  Under each column they had different colored tiles.  So in Math I, there were "A" tiles (Algebra),  some "G" tiles "geometry", and some AII tiles (Algebra II) in another color (but less of those tiles in the Math 1 column. 

As you progressed to the Math II column, there were still some "A" tiles in Math II, but more "G" tiles and then more "AII" tiles than in Math 1.  As you got to Math III, there were less "A" tiles, still some "G" tiles, and then mostly "AII" tiles.  So Math I, II, and III are all mixed up but at the end of Math III, it will be equivalent to 1 year each of Algebra, Geometry and Algebra II.

I don't think you could skip a Math level. 

Sounds to me like integrated math is a better way to teach and learn. I think this is how math should be taught so I applaud IUSD for making the change.  All the other issues like preparedness, wasting money, not having their ducks in a row is another story. I do feel for the current set of students that will be the guinea pigs. Unfortunately, someone has to be. Hopefully the system will work ok when they implement it. Im not sure why some parents don't like this but I suspect some of it is about the naming.  Can no longer brag about your freshman being in geometry or whatever.

as i have said before, we really don't care if it works or not. if it's a new approach without even a textbook ready, the COMMON SENSE is just do a pilot project with one class or one school when all the resource are ready. and then they can decide if it's good enough to replace the existing system.

didn't they talk about all this wonderful new approach last year this time of the year ? and now they changed it again ?
do you see the problem here ?

they don't know what they are doing. they have lost their mind. period.

You can't make an omelette without... well you know.

It's got to start somewhere. If you do a pilot class or school, it will take even longer to roll out.

It will be painful at first, but a few years down the road... we should benefit from it.

This isn't a trial period... the decision has been made to move to Common Core and Integrated Math... I don't think a cemetery petition will stop it.

maybe the impacted kids will be able to qualify as disadvantaged applicants when they apply for college because of
guinea pig curriculum with no books + toxic land survivor.
great!

irvinehomeowner said:
It will be painful at first, but a few years down the road... we should benefit from it.

a few years down the road ... we should benefit or suffer from it ??? we don't know yet.
do you roll out drugs without trial just because it sounds wonderful to you ?

everyone can make anything sounds good. but where is the evidence ?

bones said:
irvinehomeowner said:
"My did is taking Integrated Math III as a freshman!"

#CanStillBeBragadocious

Sounds like remedial math for those that don't know what it is :)
True.

I wonder how those college interviews/resume reviews will go.

"This applicant didn't even take AlgI/II, Geometry or Trig."

sentosa said:
irvinehomeowner said:

a few years down the road ... we should benefit or suffer from it ??? we don't know yet.

I thought the evidence was other school districts that did Integrated Math. Or Europe and Asia.

We actually aren't the guinea pigs... this is based on proven educational systems from around the world.

@sentosa:

I'm going to hyperbolize here but if you home schooled your kids would you rather:

a. Teach them math the old way that utilized rote memorization and drills

b. Teach them the Common Core way that emphasizes problem solving, logical thinking and creativity

I see the work my kids do and I think that it's an improvement over the way I learned math. I taught myself shortcuts and figured out different ways to solve math problems... it's good to see that those things are part of the curriculum. Especially now in the day of Google where you don't have to remember anything... so teaching logic and problem solving will serve them better down the road.

irvinehomeowner said:
sentosa said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I thought the evidence was other school districts that did Integrated Math. Or Europe and Asia.

We actually aren't the guinea pigs... this is based on proven educational systems from around the world.

have you heard of a chinese saying: ???? ?

irvinehomeowner said:
@sentosa:

I'm going to hyperbolize here but if you home schooled your kids would you rather:

a. Teach them math the old way that utilized rote memorization and drills

b. Teach them the Common Core way that emphasizes problem solving, logical thinking and creativity

I see the work my kids do and I think that it's an improvement over the way I learned math. I taught myself shortcuts and figured out different ways to solve math problems... it's good to see that those things are part of the curriculum. Especially now in the day of Google where you don't have to remember anything... so teaching logic and problem solving will serve them better down the road.

I grew up with the old way. To the contrary of many people's understanding, we have used many memorization and drills. But we also have a lot of practice for challenging problems which intensively involve problem solving & logic thinking.

The approach here is to ditch most of the memorization & drills, and magically move to some amazing problem solving skills.
Sorry, it just doesn't work that way. There is no shortcut if you want to really master math.

If they really want to do the Asian way, they should learn the total approach, and be able to understand why it works.
Unfortunately I don't think any of them do.

sentosa said:
I grew up with the old way. To the contrary of many people's understanding, we have used many memorization and drills. But we also have a lot of practice for challenging problems which intensively involve problem solving & logic thinking.

The approach here is to ditch most of the memorization & drills, and magically move to some amazing problem solving skills.
Sorry, it just doesn't work that way. There is no shortcut if you want to really master math.

If they really want to do the Asian way, they should learn the total approach, and be able to understand why it works.
Unfortunately I don't think any of them do.
Actually... they don't remove most memorization... just not as many drills.

My kids still do math facts and are told to practice them daily because in the end, despite the Internet, you should still be able to answer 7x8. They still have math fact quizzes in school but their unit tests are more word problems and require logic and learned solution techniques.

Do you even know what "the approach" is other than all the negatives you find on the Internet? What do your kids tell you? What do your kids teachers tell you? What does their homework, quizzes and tests look like?

I find that many parents are complaining about Common Core but haven't taken the time to actually determine what is being taught. And from what I understand, for Integrated Math, it's still Alg/Geo/Trig, but they are just being taught together rather than separately by year.

And BTW, the idea isn't to master math... the idea is to be able to learn ways to understand math more easily and apply those techniques to other areas of learning.

And if I recall correctly, in the Common Core thread you were complaining about how American education is behind when it comes to math and that math is taught better in other countries... but that's why Common Core exists... to update our "behind the times math education" and to incorporate "other countries'" methods of math education.

Disclaimer: Montessori math education seems to be aligned with how Common Core works which is why I'm a proponent of it. All the kids I know who transitioned from Montessori to public school found IUSD math quite easy ("boring" was the word used) and recognize that the Common Core way is actually more like how they learned math.

Do you even know what "the approach" is other than all the negatives you find on the Internet? What do your kids tell you? What do your kids teachers tell you? What does their homework, quizzes and tests look like?

I didn't get a lot from internet about common core. I look at what my kids bring back for their home work and what's teacher's expectation on how they solve a problem.
I always feel that students need to show more steps than necessary before common core. And it's not good for training your mind to be fast. And unfortunately common core is another step back. You need to show even more steps.
Sometimes I show them my way (the normal asian way) to solve those problems and they do agree that it's much simpler and faster.

?

Back