IUSD does away with traditional math path

So at your parent/teacher conferences, what does your teacher say about it? What do you say about it?

Are you attending the Math Pathway meetings?

Show your work. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
So at your parent/teacher conferences, what does your teacher say about it? What do you say about it?

Sorry at my kid's middle school we are not eligible for a parent/teacher conference because we don't have a "need". Try request one if you have a middle school kid and he/she is not doing terriblely.

I am not going to waste my time attending the Math Pathway meetings this year because I have been there last year and I have written to the principle and even superintendant. But I guess I am just not as important. They will just do whatever they want to do.

Disclaimer?With no montessori, no tutoring, just an extra asian math exercise book I bought online some years ago, my kids seem to be doing great for their math.

The lesson ? You don't need to reinvent the wheel and spend a fortune either from the parents or from the district, just give the kids enough exercise to do and they will understand better and do better automatically.

Sorry, I feel that I already talked too much about this CC. I will just shut up on this topic from now on.

@sentosa:

I realize this is very important to you so I would recommend trying to talk to your teachers if you feel so strongly about it.

I think you have to start in the classroom first before trying to escalate to the super. Did your principal respond to you?

It sounds like your kids are dealing with the new math just fine if you can't even get a teacher conference (and maybe because they have that Asian math book) so I'm not sure what exactly you are having issues with.

Help me help you. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
@sentosa:

I realize this is very important to you so I would recommend trying to talk to your teachers if you feel so strongly about it.

I think you have to start in the classroom first before trying to escalate to the super. Did your principal respond to you?

It sounds like your kids are dealing with the new math just fine if you can't even get a teacher conference (and maybe because they have that Asian math book) so I'm not sure what exactly you are having issues with.

Help me help you. :)

My problem is that they spend so much money and time on this so called CC instead of the real problem when the district is facing budget cut in a lot of area. my high school kid couldn't get AP class in sophomore year because of this issue. and most importantly this CC are moving us backwards in many ways.

This is very similar to the LAUSD's ipad project. wasting money and do nothing good.
And keep in mind they are spending our money not their money.

qwerty said:
its funny, there is a thread to trash TUSD, but the reality, is that when it comes to actual administration, IUSD and probably all districts are just as bad.  everyone thinks IUSD is great because of the high APIs, but it really comes down to the fact that 50% of the students are asian, whose parents are obsessed with making them get good grades and in general high income folks who produce smart offspring and emphasize education.  if you switch the TUSD with IUSD administration there would be no difference in APIs.

I agree 100%.

traceimage said:
qwerty said:
its funny, there is a thread to trash TUSD, but the reality, is that when it comes to actual administration, IUSD and probably all districts are just as bad.  everyone thinks IUSD is great because of the high APIs, but it really comes down to the fact that 50% of the students are asian, whose parents are obsessed with making them get good grades and in general high income folks who produce smart offspring and emphasize education.  if you switch the TUSD with IUSD administration there would be no difference in APIs.

I agree 100%.

On your spare time take a look at Tustin HS scores.

Tustin HS is 71.8% socioeconomically disadvantaged.  It serves the poorest parts of Tustin.

Irvine's Nothwood is 6.4%

Give the Tustin kids as much kumon and tutoring as the irvine kids they'll get the same grades

irvinehomeowner said:
sentosa said:
irvinehomeowner said:
It will be painful at first, but a few years down the road... we should benefit from it.

a few years down the road ... we should benefit or suffer from it ??? we don't know yet.
do you roll out drugs without trial just because it sounds wonderful to you ?

everyone can make anything sounds good. but where is the evidence ?
I thought the evidence was other school districts that did Integrated Math. Or Europe and Asia.

We actually aren't the guinea pigs... this is based on proven educational systems from around the world.

From my own experience and talks between coworkers, no other countries use common core. Common core was proposed by US math professors who thought US math education can catch up with other countries by adopting CC.

I did not pay attention to my kids' math at all until last year when I saw how they did  math homework. I taught them by the textbooks I used 20 years ago, they always got math A+ on report card.

I did not know which grade your kid is. Probably at lower grade, no big difference will be seen. But at higher grade, huge difference will be seen. Both my kids are in apaas, and their math go very fast. My old textbooks form other country is trying to teach how to use math. Holt math textbooks always try to make easy things very complex. The common core springboard textbooks try to teach kids how to read and say math.

As to to integrated math, do you think it is a good idea to have two weeks at algebra, and two weeks at geometry and then two weeks at statistics?

I talked to some of the parents of my kids' classmates about math pathway. They DON'T care at all. From their lips, they spell out avid.

irvinehomeowner said:

I did talk to my kids' teachers about common core math. Both responded with smile and said nothing. I understood it is district's decision not teachers' decision.

kiki said:
From my own experience and talks between coworkers, no other countries use common core. Common core was proposed by US math professors who thought US math education can catch up with other countries by adopting CC.
I didn't say Common Core was used by other countries, I said it was based on methods from other countries. From the Common Core website (http://www.corestandards.org/Math/):
These new standards build on the best of high-quality math standards from states across the country. They also draw on the most important international models for mathematical practice, as well as research and input from numerous sources, including state departments of education, scholars, assessment developers, professional organizations, educators, parents and students, and members of the public.
It's an effort to improve math education.
As to to integrated math, do you think it is a good idea to have two weeks at algebra, and two weeks at geometry and then two weeks at statistics?
That's not what Integrated Math is, it blends Algebra, Geometry and Trig together rather than teaching them discretely.

People are always resistant to change... but without change, we don't evolve.

I have yet to see large enough reasons as to why these changes are so detrimental. Lack of supplies and teaching experience is a concern, but not something that is insurmountable.

As for spending tax dollars... seems like you would be more upset about the Great Park, the Great Library or the Great Cemetery.

irvinehomeowner said:
I didn't say Common Core was used by other countries, I said it was based on methods from other countries. From the Common Core website (http://www.corestandards.org/Math/):

These new standards build on the best of high-quality math standards from states across the country. They also draw on the most important international models for mathematical practice, as well as research and input from numerous sources, including state departments of education, scholars, assessment developers, professional organizations, educators, parents and students, and members of the public.

No, from my understanding, CC math does not adopt math teaching methods from other countries. It is from "reform math".

That's not what Integrated Math is, it blends Algebra, Geometry and Trig together rather than teaching them discretely.
For example, under CC 8th grade guideline. In integrated math, teachers  introduce linear equation first. Before students get familiar with linear equation, teachers introduce geometry and statistics. Then teachers ask students to apply linear equations to solve geometry and statistics. For me, I really do not think that is a good way.

I have yet to see large enough reasons as to why these changes are so detrimental. Lack of supplies and teaching experience is a concern, but not something that is insurmountable.

One reason why I got so pissed is that my kid got pushed very fast at 5th grade. Because of CC requirement, my kid need to learn the same material again at 6th grade. If you google more about reform math, you will not feel optimistically about CC math. Also google about NY state CC math and read their response.

I always think CC math is wrong from the quite beginning. The biggest problem for US math education is not curriculum, it is lack of practice.

kiki said:
irvinehomeowner said:

No, from my understanding, CC math does not adopt math teaching methods from other countries. It is from "reform math".

For example, under CC 8th grade guideline. In integrated math, teachers  introduce linear equation first. Before students get familiar with linear equation, teachers introduce geometry and statistics. Then teachers ask students to apply linear equations to solve geometry and statistics. For me, I really do not think that is a good way.

One reason why I got so pissed is that my kid got pushed very fast at 5th grade. Because of CC requirement, my kid need to learn the same material again at 6th grade. If you google more about reform math, you will not feel optimistically about CC math. Also google about NY state CC math and read their response.

I always think CC math is wrong from the quite beginning. The biggest problem for US math education is not curriculum, it is lack of practice.

great minds think alike :)

@kiki: Did you even read the Common Core site? CC Math has influences from international methods. It's mentioned in many references to how the CC Math curriculum was developed (and to really address how US math education is behind other countries).

I actually have read about other states and CC Math. You bring up NY but not Kentucky where it has been successful. More states have adopted CC math than have not.

My stance remains, change over will always be difficult but I think the direction they are going and the ideas behind it are better than the old ways. You and sentosa seem to be focusing on the smaller issues (although sentosa admits that his/her kids are doing fine in the new curriculum), if you read the overall standard of what CC Math is trying to achieve (along with CC English), you may be more optimistic about it.

But if you only think it's negative, then that's all you will see.

I see this all the time, people hate change... even if it's for the better.

kiki said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Honestly, if you read articles about common core. People are making Mega Bucks publishing books. This is a straight $$ play in my opinion.

nosuchreality said:
Tustin HS is 71.8% socioeconomically disadvantaged.  It serves the poorest parts of Tustin.

Irvine's Nothwood is 6.4%

Give the Tustin kids as much kumon and tutoring as the irvine kids they'll get the same grades

I don't think if you give them Kumon and tutoring they will perform the same as Irvine.

Even common core cant help this situation.

irvinehomeowner said:
@kiki: Did you even read the Common Core site? CC Math has influences from international methods. It's mentioned in many references to how the CC Math curriculum was developed (and to really address how US math education is behind other countries).

I actually have read about other states and CC Math. You bring up NY but not Kentucky where it has been successful. More states have adopted CC math than have not.

My stance remains, change over will always be difficult but I think the direction they are going and the ideas behind it are better than the old ways. You and sentosa seem to be focusing on the smaller issues (although sentosa admits that his/her kids are doing fine in the new curriculum), if you read the overall standard of what CC Math is trying to achieve (along with CC English), you may be more optimistic about it.

But if you only think it's negative, then that's all you will see.

I see this all the time, people hate change... even if it's for the better.

I can not buy "international methods". Can they take out any examples? Instead, I saw failed "reform math" experiment in other countries.

As to KY, the fact is that old KY math standard is lower than CC standard. But as to old NY and CA, the old standards are more advanced. That is the difference.

The main reasons I am opposed CC math is that they lower the standard. Also they do not see the main reason why US math education gets behind.
As to IUSD, if they are not ready, why should they push it? If the textbooks are not ready or teachers not ready, why can they wait? Why should my kids be the guinea pigs?
Why don't I oppose CC English? It is easy. My kids' teachers do not push it. The only difference now is they got separate  grades for spoken English on report card.

Back