IUSD does away with traditional math path

My impression is that it's not hard to get into a big 4. Everyone and their mother, it seems, either worked at or works for one at some point in their career.

bones said:
My impression is that it's not hard to get into a big 4. Everyone and their mother, it seems, either worked at or works for one at some point in their career.

Yes, it is a right of passage in certain industries.  Companies use the big 4 experience as sort of a "post graduate school."

No one wants to hire a big 4, banks or investors usually demand a company hire its favorite* big 4 firm as a condition for funding.  Big 4 are the most convenient well insured deep pocket if the SHTF (think Orange County Bankruptcy or Enron). 

*Favorite big 4: not the most qualified but the one who will invite you to their boondoggle in Aspen if you refer them business.

Happiness said:
Yes, you can get into a big 4 from a lesser school but you can be lower in your class if you come from a better school  So the great thing about going to a better school is you can slack off and still get hired by a prestigious firm.

well, there is also a good chance if you are that slacker at USC/UCLA or other local schools that you end up at Grant Thornton or BDO :) 

no offense to any GT or BDO alumni on this board :)

bones said:

its somewhat relative, for FY14, Deloitte, the largest by headcount and revenue had 210,000
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Four_(audit_firms)

at 12/31/14 Goldman Sachs had 34,000 employees, that is over 6 times more employees. but the big 4 are not as selective as the banks and PE firms.

qwerty said:
bones said:

its somewhat relative, for FY14, Deloitte, the largest by headcount and revenue had 210,000

at 12/31/14 Goldman Sachs had 34,000 employees, that is over 6 times more employees. but the big 4 are not as selective as the banks and PE firms.
DT alum? 

qwerty said:
bones said:

This is what I was getting at. They need so many warm bodiEs.  It's hard to be selective.

bones said:
qwerty said:
bones said:

This is what I was getting at. They need so many warm bodiEs.  It's hard to be selective.

Well they are still somewhat selective. I was talking to someone on the ey recruiting team, they were saying they won't look at anyone from SC that has lower than 3.5

qwerty said:
Well they are still somewhat selective. I was talking to someone on the ey recruiting team, they were saying they won't look at anyone from SC that has lower than 3.5

Inches?  I guess they don't have many Asian dudes working there.

Happiness said:
qwerty said:

Inches?  I guess they don't have many Asian dudes working there.

What's up with that?  Do you have an issue or something? Seems like your getting crazy with the Big 4 talk.

qwerty said:
bones said:
qwerty said:
bones said:

Deloitte had a very similar approach. Outside of rare exceptions, you needed at least a 3.5. 

Back