iPhone 6

The difference in those percentages is there are way more models of Android phones than iPhones... so that 41.4% is a much more significant number.

irvinehomeowner said:
The difference in those percentages is there are way more models of Android phones than iPhones... so that 41.4% is a much more significant number.

Not sure why that makes a difference.  The bulk of the Androids being sold in the US are high end products including Galaxy S4/S5, HTC Ones, Motorola/Google phones, Sony Xperia and Samsung Phablets.

Irvinecommuter said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Not sure why that makes a difference.  The bulk of the Androids being sold in the US are high end products including Galaxy S4/S5, HTC Ones, Motorola/Google phones, Sony Xperia and Samsung Phablets.
Because you just named 4 companies and at least 4-5 product lines. We're talking Apple and one phone brand.

If you said that Samsung Galaxy Sx phones owned 41% of the phone market, that would be just as significant.

irvinehomeowner said:
Irvinecommuter said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Because you just named 4 companies and at least 4-5 product lines. We're talking Apple and one phone brand.

If you said that Samsung Galaxy Sx phones owned 41% of the phone market, that would be just as significant.

Samsung owns 25% of the market.  But my point is more general in that somehow  iphone going to 4.7/5.5 inches will turn the world upside down (i.e. fashion changes). 

So... Apple's now making a Galaxy Note 4?  zzzzzzzzz

The iWatch wasn't impressive. I already have a clock. It's called a phone. The side dial is going to be really tough to operate if you've got fingers any larger than those of a 10 year old child.

Soylent Red, Yellow, and Blue are all in need of an upgrade so don't know if it wll be a 5 or a 6. Anyone think the 6 is really that large of a leap in tech to justify paying more? Without a removable battery, I'm still going to rely on Android phones.

Samsung should pull an Apple. When the Cult of Mac was running out of gas, they got smart putting Intel chips and other work arounds to run Windows on Apple products. That one move pulled them back into relevance, just the nick of time I might add. Sammy might produce more user preferred features on phones running iOS xxx if they would only play nice with Cupertino. Never say never....

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People said:

The iWatch wasn't impressive. I already have a clock. It's called a phone. The side dial is going to be really tough to operate if you've got fingers any larger than those of a 10 year old child.

Soylent Red, Yellow, and Blue are all in need of an upgrade so don't know if it wll be a 5 or a 6. Anyone think the 6 is really that large of a leap in tech to justify paying more? Without a removable battery, I'm still going to rely on Android phones.

Samsung should pull an Apple. When the Cult of Mac was running out of gas, they got smart putting Intel chips and other work arounds to run Windows on Apple products. That one move pulled them back into relevance, just the nick of time I might add. Sammy might produce more user preferred features on phones running iOS xxx if they would only play nice with Cupertino. Never say never....

My .02c

I bought a samsung tablet from Costco and returned it the day after. I had to download the skype app around 5 times. The four other times I downloaded the app either the camera didn't work, it couldn't connect to the other user, volume didn't work.

I don't know who's fault it is Android OS, Samsung, or Skype. I never have problem with apps from iTunes.

iPhone: At this stage, the 4" form factor was hurting apple. New sizes only mean parity not share expansion.

Watch was a yawn. Too bulky.

Apple Pay was the only thing impressive today. Brilliant to apple-ify NFC payments making it brain-dead simple and using the readers that McDonalds and Starbucks are already using. And I assume they get a piece of the action? Not clear on that front.
http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/9/6128371/apple-pay-hands-on

Problem is that mobile phone technology is plateauing...like laptop did about 15 years ago.  At some point, you don't need a faster processor, a better screen, or a better camera.  At least, you don't need buy $200-300 for the upgrade.  This is especially true is you carry around a tablet.

I am pretty happy with my S4 these days and probably won't upgrade unless the phone breaks or if the upgrade is essentially free.

eyephone said:

My .02c

I bought a samsung tablet from Costco and returned it the day after. It had to download the skype app around 5 times. The four other times I downloaded the app either the camera didn't work, it couldn't connect to the other user, volume didn't work.

I don't know who's fault it is Android OS, Samsung, or Skype. I never have problem with apps from iTunes.

Sorry it didn't work out for you.  I never had a problem with apps on my Android phones.

Rice Vino said:
iPhone: At this stage, the 4" form factor was hurting apple. New sizes only mean parity not share expansion.

Watch was a yawn. Too bulky.

Apple Pay was the only thing impressive today. Brilliant to apple-ify NFC payments making it brain-dead simple and using the readers that McDonalds and Starbucks are already using. And I assume they get a piece of the action? Not clear on that front.
http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/9/6128371/apple-pay-hands-on

Probably...Apple needs to recoup its costs so how.  Google Wallet was free and it had a hard time catching on.  I presume Apple is going to more successful but I really don't get the appeal.  My credit card is a piece of plastic that is infinitely easier to carry than a phone. 

Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:

My .02c

I bought a samsung tablet from Costco and returned it the day after. It had to download the skype app around 5 times. The four other times I downloaded the app either the camera didn't work, it couldn't connect to the other user, volume didn't work.

Sorry it didn't work out for you.  I never had a problem with apps on my Android phones.

My point is: android apps are not tested and scrutinize like iTunes. Also, the there are many apps on iTunes.

eyephone said:
Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:

My .02c

My point is: android apps are not tested and scrutinize like iTunes. Also, the there are many apps on iTunes.

1)  True.  Apple basically approves all apps on the itune store but it also means that you are restricted to what apps you can get.  Again, I never had any issues with any apps on my two Android phones.  Mainstream apps police themselves because if they don't work, people don't use them.  Generally speaking, customer satisfaction for Android/Apple Apps are the same
http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...ios-vs-android-war-services-next-battleground

2)  Not true at all
http://techland.time.com/2013/04/16/ios-vs-android/

Again...this is not to bash Apple or promote Android.  The choice of Apple v. Android really depends on the user.  Some users like simplicity and straightforwardness while others like adaptability and not to be locked into a sandbox. 

@Irvinecommuter:

The thing is, Apple speaks to a wider audience in the US.

While nerds/customizers/power users think they are the majority consumer, they are not. The casuals are, the older generation, the younger kids, the middle crowd that doesn't feel like having to learn the ins and outs of Android.

That's why there are claims of "game changing" because even though bigger screened phones have been out for 2+ years, the majority of users don't own big screened phones. Of that 51.5% you cited, I don't think 80% is a 4.7"+ screen. In fact, sales have slowed for Sam/HTC/Moto/Sony these last few months because of the speculation of consumers waiting for Apple's bigger phones.

The iPhone 6 will outsell any one model of Sam/HTC/Moto/Sony by a large margin. They did it the last two years with a smaller screened phone, so imagine with a bigger screened one.

My personal preference is the smaller iPhone 5 chassis, but considering they reduced the footprint of the the iPhone 6 compared to other phones with a 4.7" screen, it's something I will want.

Big lots good, not so big phone better.

eyephone said:
I bought a samsung tablet from Costco and returned it the day after. I had to download the skype app around 5 times. The four other times I downloaded the app either the camera didn't work, it couldn't connect to the other user, volume didn't work.

I was trying to set up a relatives iPad last week and could not download most of the apps I was trying to get from the App store. The next day it worked, but let's not try to pretend to Apple stuff isn't buggy.

I was using my iPad last night and Safari would crash when trying to view half of the web pages. I had to download Google Chrome on the iPad to browse the freaking web.

irvinehomeowner said:
@Irvinecommuter:

The thing is, Apple speaks to a wider audience in the US.

While nerds/customizers/power users think they are the majority consumer, they are not. The casuals are, the older generation, the younger kids, the middle crowd that doesn't feel like having to learn the ins and outs of Android.

That's why there are claims of "game changing" because even though bigger screened phones have been out for 2+ years, the majority of users don't own big screened phones. Of that 51.5% you cited, I don't think 80% is a 4.7"+ screen. In fact, sales have slowed for Sam/HTC/Moto/Sony these last few months because of the speculation of consumers waiting for Apple's bigger phones.

The iPhone 6 will outsell any one model of Sam/HTC/Moto/Sony by a large margin. They did it the last two years with a smaller screened phone, so imagine with a bigger screened one.

My personal preference is the smaller iPhone 5 chassis, but considering they reduced the footprint of the the iPhone 6 compared to other phones with a 4.7" screen, it's something I will want.

Big lots good, not so big phone better.

But that's not true!  52% of the Smartphone users use Android...that by definition is a majority of smartphone users!  Apple users think that they still drive the bus on the market when in fact they don't.  And this is in the US, the worldwise numbers are far worse as Apple has about 15% of the world's market of smartphones.

Yes, the iphone 6 will like outsell any individual Android model but nearly all Android phones in the past two years has had 4.7 inch screens.  Galaxy S3 was released in March 2013 and already had a 4.8 inch screen.  The S4 has a 5 inch screen.  S5 has a 5.1 inch screen.  Other Android phone makers (HTC, Motorola/Google, Sony, LG) has followed a similar release calendar.

Screen size matter:

Smartphones with 5-inch and larger screens grew 369 percent ? a considerably greater rate of growth than the overall market. Worldwide, they represented just over a third of shipments.

Samsung leads this particular market segment, as it held a 44 percent share of devices with 5-inch and above screens.

Diving deeper into the numbers shines light on Apple's strengths, shortcomings and must-haves. With 5-inch and above screens featured on 47 percent of smartphones, a majority of the remaining 53 percent of phones with smaller screens handily belongs to Apple. The Cupertino, California-based powerhouse accounts for 87 percent of high-end smartphones with screens less than 5 inches.
http://www.zdnet.com/analysis-of-smartphone-shipments-shows-display-size-matters-7000029356/

One more HUGE Factor is the Apple Store. If you are having problems and you are under warranty take it to the Apple Store.

Also, there are free classes that teach people about apple products. This is a perfect program, it helps people out, informs people, and gets people in the door that are hesitant. (Yes - there are people that are not technical savy)
https://www.apple.com/retail/learn/

@IC:

I find it hard to believe you are not grasping the concept. While 52% of the users are Android, that user experience differs from brand to brand, phone to phone. A Galaxy S4 has a different skin than an HTC One, there are about 8 different screen sizes for Samsung phones in the last 2 years. Additionally, Android OS is more fragmented across multiple versions, brands, devices etc, where the majority of iOS users are on iOS 7 (85% vs 69%):
http://www.statista.com/chart/2054/adoption-of-latest-ios-and-android-versions/

In the case of Apple, they are going take their 2 prevalent screen sizes, 3.5" and 4" and move up to only 2 bigger ones for at least the next 2 years, that's a societal shift for 41% of the market.

If Google came out and said, 85% of Android users are going to have to upgrade to Android OS 5 and can only choose from 2 different phones... that would be a similar "social" event.

And I'm not pro Apple or Android, like them both (I have both phones and tablets for both systems), I just know the Apple cult and believe me... it's a shift. Apple fans have been waiting 2 years for a bigger phone... and now the wait is over.

eyephone said:
One more HUGE Factor is the Apple Store. If you are having problems and you are under warranty take it to the Apple Store.

Also, there are free classes that teach people about apple products. This is a perfect program, it helps people out, informs people, and gets people in the door that are hesitant. (Yes - there are people that are not technical savy)
https://www.apple.com/retail/learn/

Agreed.  There is definitely a market for Apple phones and tablets.  It's not a right or wrong answer, it's really on the individual.  I love my S4 and cannot use iphone because it's just too simple for me.  But that's just me.

Like many companies, exact reason why Apple is successful is the reason why it is hurting.  Apple's calling card is well made products that are simple, looks/feels nice, and easy to use.  It also control all aspects of the phone from design to apps, which results in a smooth running product. 

These benefits, however, become burdens when Android phones are built by many companies that develop many different varieties of phones at all price points.  The competition also keeps Android phone makers on their toes on technology and pricing.  Android phone makers are more likely to experiment with their phones to try and out do their competitors while Apple has to make sure everything works before they put it into the phone.

Apple used to be the innovators but now are behind on the tech curve as compared to Android phones.  Iphone 6 has a screen with lower pixel rates, slower processor, a smaller battery, and the low-resolution camera than the competitors. 

irvinehomeowner said:
@IC:

I find it hard to believe you are not grasping the concept. While 52% of the users are Android, that user experience differs from brand to brand, phone to phone. A Galaxy S4 has a different skin than an HTC One, there are about 8 different screen sizes for Samsung phones in the last 2 years. Additionally, Android OS is more fragmented across multiple versions, brands, devices etc, where the majority of iOS users are on iOS 7 (85% vs 69%):
http://www.statista.com/chart/2054/adoption-of-latest-ios-and-android-versions/

In the case of Apple, they are going take their 2 prevalent screen sizes, 3.5" and 4" and move up to only 2 bigger ones for at least the next 2 years, that's a societal shift for 41% of the market.

If Google came out and said, 85% of Android users are going to have to upgrade to Android OS 5 and can only choose from 2 different phones... that would be a similar "social" event.

And I'm not pro Apple or Android, like them both (I have both phones and tablets for both systems), I just know the Apple cult and believe me... it's a shift. Apple fans have been waiting 2 years for a bigger phone... and now the wait is over.

I grasp it but not all Apple users are going to upgrade to Iphone 6 as many of them are still under contract.  I get that skins and covers are going to be important but fashion and size of pockets?  Probably not.

As for fragmentation, 75% of Android users are at Android 4.1 or above.  Android 4.1 is not all that different than 4.3.  85% are 4.0 or above (which is also not all that different than 4.3). 
http://www.cnet.com/news/kitkat-chews-up-more-than-20-percent-of-android-devices/

One of reasons why Apple has such high numbers for iOS is because it essentially forces you to upgrade.  It automatically downloads the new iOS, which eats up a lot of your memory.  If you don't upgrade, functions (like facetime) stop working.  If you upgrade, it eats up a lot of your memory and thus you are either stuck with an upgrade phone without much memory, pay for icloud, or get a new phone.
http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/09/apple-is-automatically-pushing-out-ios-7-to-holdout-devices

Back