iPhone 6

bones said:
qwerty said:
Yeah it was quick. They had their phone ready. But not any faster than handing your card over to the cashier.

I can see paying by phone being faster for some people. You don't have to rummage around for your wallet. Most of the time, you're on your phone anyway as you wait in line so your phone is already out and ready. Most ppl at starbucks use the sbux app to pay which tracks rewards, etc. Can't do that with the current credit card system. You can carry around a starbucks card but that's yet another card to carry and keep track of.

I would agree with that but that runs into the very problem that Apple Pay is facing.  Starbucks wants you to use their app so they can keep you "loyal" and track your purchases.  Every company wants that and no one wants to share.

It's easier to use for Starbucks but if you are a dedicated SB fan and you have their apps anyways.  I don't really want 15 apps, one for each place that you frequent.

irvinehomeowner said:
Apple could easily interface with the various retailers for loyalty and tracking.

But that would mean that the retailers would have share their customer data with Apple, which they don't want.  Apple refuses to share customer data with the retailers.

Irvinecommuter said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Apple could easily interface with the various retailers for loyalty and tracking.

But that would mean that the retailers would have share their customer data with Apple, which they don't want.  Apple refuses to share customer data with the retailers.
All they have to share is Loyalty/Customer numbers.

Just do it similar to how Passbook works (you use Android so I'm not sure if you are familiar with it).

You basically register your Starbucks Loyalty ID with ApplePay and then whenever you use ApplePay at a Starbucks, Starbucks knows who made that purchase via ApplePay. There is no need to share sensitive info other than that ID number. The retailers already know the metric statistics just by accepting ApplePay and it's no different than than all those Loyalty card apps you download.

irvinehomeowner said:
Irvinecommuter said:
irvinehomeowner said:

All they have to share is Loyalty/Customer numbers.

Just do it similar to how Passbook works (you use Android so I'm not sure if you are familiar with it).

You basically register your Starbucks Loyalty ID with ApplePay and then whenever you use ApplePay at a Starbucks, Starbucks knows who made that purchase via ApplePay. There is no need to share sensitive info other than that ID number. The retailers already know the metric statistics just by accepting ApplePay and it's no different than than all those Loyalty card apps you download.

But Apple doesn't want to collect your data (for now).  Again...Apple Pay is running into the same issues as Google Wallet.  The demand is not there.  Most people are fine with using a CC.
http://venturebeat.com/2014/10/27/apple-pay-no-data-collection-isnt-a-feature-its-a-problem/

That's different.

That article is referring to SKU-based or product level data tracking which NFC is not capable of (although there are ways to work around that at the POS level).

To include data that just identifies when ApplePay was used and by what ID is much simpler.

who needs apple pay, i just downloaded the taco bell app. i just placed my order and paid already for my dinner tonight. i actually just ordered to try out the app, wasnt planning on having taco bell for dinner tonight, but i will have to sacrifice.  ordering was very easy, when you pick an item all of the ingredients show up for that item, if you want to remove an ingredient you swipe to the left, if you want extra of an ingredient you swipe to the right.  then you just check out, you have the option of saving your credit card data so you dont have to enter it every time. its a pretty slick app.  when you get to the restaurant you open the app, say you arrived and they start making your order. or if you are in the drive through you just press the drive through button and they start making your order.  this is going to lead to more taco bell dinners i think.

Analyst estimates Apple will sell over 55m of the iPhone 6 models this year compared to about 51m total of all iPhones they sold last year.

Contrast that to reports that Samsung sold 4m less Galaxy S5s than S4s.

Crazy.

irvinehomeowner said:
Analyst estimates Apple will sell over 55m of the iPhone 6 models this year compared to about 51m total of all iPhones they sold last year.

Crazy.

TBF...S5 was a moderate upgrade where the S4 was a significant upgrade over the S3.  I would expect the next version of the iphone to sell significantly less than Iphone 6.

Irvinecommuter said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Crazy.

TBF...S5 was a moderate upgrade where the S4 was a significant upgrade over the S3.  I would expect the next version of the iphone to sell significantly less than Iphone 6.
I thought the jump between the S4 and S5 were about the same as the S3 and S4. The main issue here is that S4 owners aren't as willing to upgrade in just one year like Apple cultists. You even said in this thread that 5s owners are under contract and won't upgrade but the numbers seem to indicate otherwise.

I think the S5 is much better than the S4, the waterproofing along is huge to me (too bad they couldn't do that on the Note 4).

I thought the iPhone 5s outsold the iPhone 5 even though it was a moderate upgrade and people were still waiting for a bigger screened iPhone.

If Apple sticks to their cycle, next year will be the 6s and 6s Plus... made of some unbendable metal alloy they mined from a meteor.

I don't think sales for the next model will be significantly less... Apple always finds a way to make people buy their product (plus that's probably when I'll upgrade from my 5s).

Regardless, no other single phone model comes even close to the iPhone. I think even the 5c has outsold almost every other non-iPhone model.

irvinehomeowner said:
I'm pretty sure the iPhone 6 will break all previous sales records... that's 2 years of pent-up demand for a bigger screen... like The 2010 New Home Collection, Lambert Ranch and Pavilion Park.

#KeepingItIrvine
Seems like they will beat their previous record:
http://www.cnet.com/news/apples-super-sized-iphones-seen-super-sizing-its-profits/

Apple is believed to have sold 66.5 million iPhones in the period, according to an analyst poll by Fortune. That's nearly a third more devices than the record 51 million sold in the year-earlier quarter.

irvinehomeowner said:
irvinehomeowner said:
I'm pretty sure the iPhone 6 will break all previous sales records... that's 2 years of pent-up demand for a bigger screen... like The 2010 New Home Collection, Lambert Ranch and Pavilion Park.

#KeepingItIrvine
Seems like they will beat their previous record:
http://www.cnet.com/news/apples-super-sized-iphones-seen-super-sizing-its-profits/

Apple is believed to have sold 66.5 million iPhones in the period, according to an analyst poll by Fortune. That's nearly a third more devices than the record 51 million sold in the year-earlier quarter.

66.5 million is clearly a big number but it's not unexpected...again the jump to 5" screen is a big plus.  I would expect 6s/7 to result in much less sales. 

It will be interesting to see how the S6 does for Samsung.  You can have one bad cycle but two bad cycles will be pretty bad.

I'm holding out for the 6s and possibly a switch to Sprint from AT&T if the "half your bill" promo is real.  Who has sprint in Irvine?  Comment on reception?  But I'm getting use to Android... so I guess I'm open to anything.  Typing on jelly bean in this message, anyone like kit kat?  Or lollipop?

No LTE coverage in Irvine for Sprint last time I checked... but that may have changed.

The "half your bill" has a catch, you have to trade in a phone and buy a new one from them.

While Apple soars, Samsung is faltering:
http://www.cnet.com/news/samsungs-smartphone-woes-continue-with-q4-profit-drop/

In one example, market researcher Canalys on Tuesday said Apple in the December quarter surpassed Xiaomi and Samsung to become the biggest smartphone vendor in China for the first time ever. China, with its hundreds of millions of potential new customers, is viewed as a key smartphone market. Samsung had dominated the Chinese smartphone market for 10 straight quarters until Xiaomi took over that position in the second quarter of 2014. Samsung held the No. 3 spot in the holiday quarter, Canalys said.

Another blow came Wednesday when researcher Strategy Analytics said that Apple had pulled even with Samsung in global smartphone market, with each company accounting for 20 percent of phone shipments in the fourth quarter. Apple was trending upward slightly, but Samsung was downward bound from 30 percent in the year-earlier period.

Samsung has to stop producing so many Android models. They should stick to the Galaxy S and Galaxy Note lines for their flagship products and then one budget line for their lower cost Android phones. I understand why they are creating Tizen phones for India, but that just makes it harder for their products to catch on with yet another ecosystem.

It's interesting because by now I would have already upgraded my Note II to a Note  4 but the feature set isn't compelling enough that I may wait for the Note 5. I was hoping they would add some water/dust proofing to it like the S5 but that would be hard considering the stylus holder.

irvinehomeowner said:
While Apple soars, Samsung is faltering:
http://www.cnet.com/news/samsungs-smartphone-woes-continue-with-q4-profit-drop/

In one example, market researcher Canalys on Tuesday said Apple in the December quarter surpassed Xiaomi and Samsung to become the biggest smartphone vendor in China for the first time ever. China, with its hundreds of millions of potential new customers, is viewed as a key smartphone market. Samsung had dominated the Chinese smartphone market for 10 straight quarters until Xiaomi took over that position in the second quarter of 2014. Samsung held the No. 3 spot in the holiday quarter, Canalys said.

Another blow came Wednesday when researcher Strategy Analytics said that Apple had pulled even with Samsung in global smartphone market, with each company accounting for 20 percent of phone shipments in the fourth quarter. Apple was trending upward slightly, but Samsung was downward bound from 30 percent in the year-earlier period.

Samsung has to stop producing so many Android models. They should stick to the Galaxy S and Galaxy Note lines for their flagship products and then one budget line for their lower cost Android phones. I understand why they are creating Tizen phones for India, but that just makes it harder for their products to catch on with yet another ecosystem.

It's interesting because by now I would have already upgraded my Note II to a Note  4 but the feature set isn't compelling enough that I may wait for the Note 5. I was hoping they would add some water/dust proofing to it like the S5 but that would be hard considering the stylus holder.

They need to stop making like 5 versions of the same phone.  The biggest issue that Samsung is facing is that the Chinese makers are killing it at the lower end of the market.  One of the advantages of Android was that there were lots of low cost phones for 2nd/3rd world users.  Samsung can't/hasn't been able to keep up with the Chinese markers on price.

Back