iPhone 5

qwerty said:
iacrenter said:
Loving the new LTE speed!

Do u have AT&T or Verizon?  I was looking at the coverage map on AT&T website and it didn't look like AT&T had LTE here in OC.

I have Verizon, so LTE covers OC. Speed seems even faster than my home wifi--very addictive. Too bad I still can't talk and surf at the same time except on WiFi. Big Red's free Face Time over cellular is nice but I would prefer AT&T's gsm talk and surf feature. Hopefully next year's 5s will add a 2nd radio antennae for simultaneous talk & surf or Verizon implements talk over LTE.

Told Soylent Red while she's waiting for her's to ship, scotch tape her iPhone 3 to an iPhone 4 and she'll have an iPhone 7.

Did you get black or white? The black one has "scuffgate" issues:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSFKVq36Hgc[/youtube]

Good thing I ordered the white one for the Mrs.

I got the white one. Right now my phone is going commando and am concerning about scratching the aluminum finish. It looks beautiful now but I better get a cover soon.

Also my first problem-- got multiple sim error messages yesterday despite being a Verizon phone: 'Sim Failure' and 'Invalid Sim.' Phone normalizes after power cycling but was very annoying. Has been pretty good today. Hopefully it stays that way.

iacrenter said:
I got the white one. Right now my phone is going commando and am concerning about scratching the aluminum finish. It looks beautiful now but I better get a cover soon.

Also my first problem-- got multiple sim error messages yesterday despite being a Verizon phone: 'Sim Failure' and 'Invalid Sim.' Phone normalizes after power cycling but was very annoying. Has been pretty good today. Hopefully it stays that way.

UPDATE:

So I spoke too soon. My SIM card failed multiple times again late last night. I went to the local Verizon store today and they had no nano sim cards in stock. Next I called Big Red's customer service and they will express mail me a sim by tomorrow.

UPDATE #2

I got my replacement Verizon nano sim card today and the phone now works flawlessly.

The other nice feature I noticed are the new headphones. It does fit better in the ears but more importantly has a richer/deeper sound.

Soylent Red's iPhone 5 gets delivered sometime today. It escaped from mainland China last week, crossed into South Korea, took a puddle jumper to Alaska, wound up in Kentucky for a spell, landing finally in Aliso Viejo and now "Brown" needs to do their thing. It's practically a global version of Where's Waldo over the past few days.

Ours is still in transit... maybe today or tomorrow.

But I think that's pretty good considering it said "2 weeks" after release and it's probably only going to be at max, 1 week.

A friend got theirs... and I have to say... it's really nice... thinner, lighter and most importantly faster... LTE is bonkers. I like that they kept the same form factor... and while big screened phones are nice... the 5 is very pocketable.

irvinehomeowner said:
Ours is still in transit... maybe today or tomorrow.

But I think that's pretty good considering it said "2 weeks" after release and it's probably only going to be at max, 1 week.

A friend got theirs... and I have to say... it's really nice... thinner, lighter and most importantly faster... LTE is bonkers. I like that they kept the same form factor... and while big screened phones are nice... the 5 is very pocketable.

Verizon LTE is very fast on the 5. Makes me want to turnoff my home WiFi and start really taking advantage of that unlimited data plan.

irvinehomeowner said:
Verizon has unlimited LTE? I thought they throttled like AT&T.

If you are an older 3G Verizon customer with an unlimited data plan, Big Red lets you keep it unlimited even with LTE. Best of all, Verizon does NOT throttle 4G LTE users at this time. Their throttling policy only applied to 3G users who used more than 2 Gigs / month. The catch is that you can only upgrade phones at full price to keep your unlimited plan.
http://support.verizonwireless.com/information/data_disclosure.html

I know my Sammy GIII can become a wi-fi hot spot, but can the iPhone 5? If you've got an unlimited data plan that's a great feature.

Back