iPhone 5

Holy moley that was painful.

Couldn't get into Apple's site until 12:45am and then it wouldn't accept my carrier account data. Finally gave up after numerous attempts and went in through my carrier's site, got the order in but they won't let me ship to a different address than my billing address... ack.

For an iPhone that no one is going to buy... there sure were a ton of people hitting all the pre-order sites. A thread on one of the tech sites is humongous with comments from people trying to order.

Do you see this for any other phone?

irvinehomeowner said:
Holy moley that was painful.

Couldn't get into Apple's site until 12:45am and then it wouldn't accept my carrier account data. Finally gave up after numerous attempts and went in through my carrier's site, got the order in but they won't let me ship to a different address than my billing address... ack.

For an iPhone that no one is going to buy... there sure were a ton of people hitting all the pre-order sites. A thread on one of the tech sites is humongous with comments from people trying to order.

Do you see this for any other phone?
IHO,

Did you get white or black? What memory size? Curious readers want to know.

I was seriously thinking about pre-ordering tonight but decided to pass. I am willing to wait until the Nexus / Samsung Prime phone announcement on Tuesday. It still bothers me that there is no LTE and the screen size wasn't increased. Pluses for the the 4S: Siri looks intresting, quality of the camera optics are impressive, and Apple's legendary "it just works." I may still get it but am willing to wait and see what the competition brings.

Ordered the white 16g, cost about $500 since I didn't qualify for a full upgrade.  Ebay prices for black ATT 32g iPhone 4 is going for nearly $400 for a mint condition one.  So if this works out I paid $100 to upgrade (16g to 32g will be a downgrade but if I delete all the useless apps on my phone I should be fine).  When did I become an Apple fanboy?

I heard RadioShack is doing $100 trade in for your current existing smartphones if you want to get the iPhone 4S from there.

Sure... but this was also the phone that many people said no one would buy because Android phones are so much better.

They forget the there are millions of people on 3G and 3GS phones who would still prefer an iPhone over an Android. Even analysts thought it wasn't going to sell well and AAPL dropped... now it's back up again... so funny.

I think a good metric would be how many of these pre-orders are new instead of upgrades (although that would be hard to tell since switching carriers would count as "new").

I wish Apple's website would have let me order through them. I hate going through the carrier because you know they are 2nd after Apple.

People are already getting their iPhone 4S orders from Apple but when I go to AT&T to check my order status I get this:

Pre-ordered devices will ship on or around Thursday, Oct. 13, 2011.

Great... so that means I won't get it until after the 14th... if I'm lucky, Monday the 17th.

Dumb.

I ordered thru the apple store and it shows expected delivery on the 14 th, how come some are getting it earlier?

It just depends on how they ship it and how far you are from where they are shipping it from.

Everyone is quoted the 14th but you may get them earlier.

I didn't realize the cost of insuring an Iphone 4S can vary so widely. Apple seems to offer a much better deal than the carrier insurance plans.
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/10/10/top-5-iphone-4s-warranty-options-compared/

iPhone 4S Protect Plans    2 Year Price Deductible # of Claims Accidental? Loss/Theft

AppleCare+                            $99               $49                 2             Yes           No

Credit Card                         $0               $0           1 per purch        No           No

AT&T or Verizon         $168-$260 $169 to $199           2             Yes           Yes

SquareTrade                       $99       $50 on Drop Spill  up to $599     Yes           No

Worth Ave Group               $174               $50 1 ? $600 Coverage     Yes           Yes

irvinehomeowner said:
It just depends on how they ship it and how far you are from where they are shipping it from.

Everyone is quoted the 14th but you may get them earlier.

Chek Lap Kok, Hong Kong 10/12/2011 5:15 P.M. Arrival Scan
Shenzhen, China 10/12/2011 4:05 P.M. Departure Scan
10/12/2011 1:50 A.M. Origin Scan
China 10/12/2011 12:31 A.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

These are being shipped from China...  I'll probably get it Friday..

For warranties... I believe that Apple's AppleCare+ is the best value... plus they are the manufacturer. Sprint won't even include the iPhone in their Total Equipment Protection program.

I just got notification from AT&T that ours has shipped... the tracking number isn't active yet so I don't know where the origin point is but if it's west coast, maybe we'll get lucky and be bossing Siri around tomorrow.

Does AppleCare carry over to the next iPhone when you upgrade before the two years is up?  I don't plan on keeping the phone for that long, so $100 is not worth it

Rene over at TiPb has just out did himself... a full iOS5 walk thru... just finish the article, took me a good part of this entire morning...

I have to say, I'm very impressed, and it's good to see iOS5 finally catching up to Gingerbread...
http://www.tipb.com/2011/10/12/ios-5-iphone-ipad-walkthrough/

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLJIef-e-7g&feature=player_embedded#![/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCjeSNomXrU&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Just tried to update to iOS 5 on my old iPhone 4 and it crashed...  I have to restore my phone now and re-start...  fun... 

ps99472 said:
Just tried to update to iOS 5 on my old iPhone 4 and it crashed...  I have to restore my phone now and re-start...  fun... 
Same thing happened to our iPad... the culprit was the USB cable wasn't connected directly to the PC but to a monitor USB hub... some error 1611. Connected it directly to the PC and easy-peasy... iOS5 time.

I've been reading reports that AT&T customers are having issues with activating their new phones... we just did ours and it was fine.

BTW: If you're looking for a case, you don't need to wait for 4S specific ones, the ones that fit the Verizon iPhone 4 should fit the 4S because it's a similar antenna design with the lower placed mute/volume buttons.

Lines haven't been as long as previous years... but still longer than say... a Galaxy II S line (zing to RC!).

Playing with the 4S, apps are more stable and launch quicker..  Siri was a little frustrating but has potential..  thanks IHO for the heads up on the cases..  my old cases still fit just bulges out a little over the mute switch.  Tried to call ATT to switch to another messaging plan (it seems like they don't have the $5 200 messages anymore) but got put on hold for over 20 minutes and gave up.  5gb limit for free iCloud, so this is for pics and music then?  Most of the apps I use are near 1 gb so iCloud is not for that?  I don't plan on downloading my street fighter games over iCloud with my 2gb monthly limit. 

Btw.. Anyone interested in a pristine, less than a year old iPhone 4 (blk, 32g, charger/usb cord, original box/manuals/stickers) PM me for details..

Back