Internet Camera

SoCal said:
Dear Lord. I am a little shaken up right now. I just INTERCEPTED an attempted package thief at my front door who was trying to snag my UPS box. I confronted her head-on. I waited for her to get close to the package then sprung the door open. I let her know I knew she was up to no good. She was stunned. She didn't really deny it and offered no other reason why she was there. After I saw her hanging around outside my house in her vehicle, acting all suspicious, looking around all paranoid, looking over her shoulder, letting her car run while she got out, I had to let her get close enough for my Arlo to capture her and then tried to engage her in conversation to wait for that delay!! It worked. I got her. Got her car, too. Unfortunately, it's too blurry to read the plate number. I just had a police offer at my house and let him view the footage. They're going to search the area. The officer says this is happening A LOT in the Irvine area. Beware.
If I saw someone going for my UPS box, I would have just opened the door and taken my package inside.  People get killed all the time surprising thieves.  Of course, RC would probably have invited her inside to share her life story.

Happiness said:
If I saw someone going for my UPS box, I would have just opened the door and taken my package inside.  People get killed all the time surprising thieves.  Of course, RC would probably have invited her inside to share her life story.

"Should'a, would'a, could'a." It's easy to say what you would do until you're actually in that situation. Maybe you would, maybe you wouldn't. What's ironic is if you ask anyone who knows me IRL, ***I*** am always the one saying it's not worth a confrontation -- our lives are clearly worth more. However, until it actually happens, you don't know for sure what you would do. I was surprised by how my instincts kicked in. You don't have much time to analyze the situation or play armchair quarterback. I didn't expect to this to happen today. Your fight/flight/freeze kicks in and one will win. I wanted her to stay safely away from my property and my child but to be held accountable for being there in the first place so that others don't get victimized. Not to mention, I wanted my damn box before she put her paws on it! When I opened the door, I wasn't threatening. I said, "Can I help you?" She stood there, speechless, just staring at me. She looked stunned and "out of it". She just murmered, "Umm. Uhhh." I sized her up from there. She was either shocked or high or both. She even looked a little scared. I actually felt compassion for her because she looked like she needed a bath and to get her life turned around. If I felt she was a real threat, I would have walked away and locked the door but I stood my ground and let hit her with the reality that I know what's up. I said, "I think you're here for something. I think you're here for this." After standing there a little while like a zombie, she calmly walked away and drove off. I hope none of you has this happen. I hope she realizes how stupid her actions are (in broad daylight, no less) and quits doing it so it doesn't happen again.

I also just want to make it clear that if this were a big black guy or Qwerty or scary Iho, I WOULD NOT HAVE OPENED THAT DOOR. However, THIS is the thief. Here are the real pics taken from my camera and zoomed in. I wasn't very afraid of a skinny young blond woman. SHE, on the other hand, should be terrified of this tall, fiery redhead right here!  :p I felt confidant I could take her down, no problem. She backed off so she probably thought so, too. She has her hands on her hips because she was mimicking me standing like that, while telling her I know what's up and asking her what the heck she's thinking. She had nothing to say! Not "Wrong address", not "I'm selling cookies", not "I lost my dog"... nothing.

Thief1.png

Thief2.png

The car is a white Chrysler convertible with the black top rolled up. If I can crop the pic later, I'll post it.

SoCal said:
I also just want to make it clear that if this were a big black guy or Qwerty or scary Iho, I WOULD NOT HAVE OPENED THAT DOOR. However, THIS is the thief. Here are the real pics taken from my camera and zoomed in. I wasn't very afraid of a skinny young blond woman. SHE, on the other hand, should be terrified of this tall, fiery redhead right here!  :p I felt confidant I could take her down, no problem. She backed off so she probably thought so, too. She has her hands on her hips because she was mimicking me standing like that, while telling her I know what's up and asking her what the heck she's thinking. She had nothing to say! Not "Wrong address", not "I'm selling cookies", not "I lost my dog"... nothing.

Thief1.png

Thief2.png

The car is a white Chrysler convertible with the black top rolled up. If I can crop the pic later, I'll post it.

#interesting

1. Next time if this happens let it go. Just remember this incident was over a box of Kcups. You most likely would have been reimbursed by the company.
2. If you must confront the person next time, think about the following: packing heat, folding buck knife. (have it concealed)
3. Also, if you want to get her prosecuted, let her take the package, and write down her license plate. #211Robbery

About time someone invented a safe spot to deliver packages to homes. 

ps9 said:
Looks like Angela from the Office

Yes, Tweeker Angela!

She was a tweeker if I ever saw one. 3" dark roots, scrawny, unhealthy complexion, paranoia, and obviously a problem with stealing. Feel bad for her actually. In hindsight, I wish I would have offered her some help or prayed with her on the spot. We were both just stunned, though. O_O

How about this?

When I originally went to the post office to inquire (and then complain) about not having mail service in Tustin Legacy because I have outgoing mail daily (although my key worked in the installed cluster boxes, the outgoing mail boxes were open and not locked) I was told, "oh you should never use those outgoing mail boxes! They are pried open daily all over Tustin and Irvine. Every day we get complaints on stolen outgoing mail".

So.............. the post office knowingly provides a place that isn't even close to being a secure location to drop mail off.

The solution, according to the person at the P.O. is to drive around and find one of the old style blue free standing post office drop boxes and use that.

Yes, but I really don't want to use those. The carrier from my old house told me to never use THOSE because there are a lot of instances where people throw liquids (or even fire crackers) into those boxes which would ruin the mail I send out.

Maybe they need internet cameras on all of their mailboxes.

eyephone said:
#interesting

1. Next time if this happens let it go. Just remember this incident was over a box of Kcups. You most likely would have been reimbursed by the company.
2. If you must confront the person next time, think about the following: packing heat, folding buck knife. (have it concealed)
3. Also, if you want to get her prosecuted, let her take the package, and write down her license plate. #211Robbery

1. Those Momma Bear instincts are very, very strong. Until they attempt something, you don't know what they're going to do. Who knows, maybe she would have tried to get inside the house as well since she believed nobody was home. (I'm the rare person who actually uses their garage and has no cars parked out front.) I wasn't going to let this tweeker, who was there with bad intentions, get close enough to my home and my baby to find out how far she wanted to take this.

2. I agree. As a matter of fact, I am a proud supporter of our second amendment rights.

3. Yes, what I'm thinking about doing is this: Order a big, cheap package off of Amazon. Like paper towels. Or maybe a box of spring-loaded toy snakes would be more fun. Get it with a gift receipt / message. My doorstep is highly visible. Leave the box there until it's stolen. When they open it, they can read the message: "Congratulations. Your face and vehicle have been recorded and turned over to the police."

Beware of this vehicle. White Chrysler convertible with a black rag top. Kind of looks like a Sebring? Dirty. Driven by the female pictured previously.

rsz_thief_and_car.jpg

Ready2Downsize said:
How about this? I was told, "oh you should never use those outgoing mail boxes! They are pried open daily all over Tustin and Irvine. Every day we get complaints on stolen outgoing mail".

Sorry for your troubles. Yes, that is also what the officer told me as well. This kind of thing is happening a lot all over Orange County.

SoCal said:
I thank God she didn't hurt me when I confronted her in the middle of this. I was home alone with my son. She could have shot me. She looked strung out on drugs. So thankful for God's protection. Thank you, Lord. The officer says it's not enough to charge her with robbery since she didn't touch the box. I could have let her but I didn't want to let her get THAT close since it was touching my front door and I didn't want her to take my stuff either. I had to keep her a little bit at a distance, at least arm's distance for safety. Maybe I regret not letting her take it further so they can nab her. But I also didn't know what was inside the box -- often times things like electronics are delivered to me. It turned out to just be K-cups. But yes, my life is worth more than K-cups. She looked like a troubled person and I am so glad this confrontation didn't end differently. At least now they have info to go on for the next time she does this to someone else.

A potential assailant doesn't need a gun to hurt you.  At distance of 10 feet, even if you had your hand on a holstered pistol, an assailant can stab you with sharp object faster than you can draw.  If you were able to draw a weapon, statistically trained officers (NYPD stats) only has 38% hit rate per shot vs assailant at 0-2 yards.  The situation is made worse by the fact that most soft body armor are not stab/spike resistant.  Body armor that can resist .44 magnum rounds can be pierced with an ice pick.

If you had a metal security door or a sizable dog, it would have offered more deterrence.  But the issue remains that we cannot always be home to monitor incoming packages.  I pay for a PO BOX at the UPS store for this reason, and usually have my packages shipped there instead.

WTTCHMN said:
momopi said:
Body armor that can resist .44 magnum rounds can be pierced with an ice pick.

So Sharon Stone wasn't so crazy after all.

How about a 4 inch stiletto?

If you guys are seriously interested in this stuff, talk to a correction facility (jail) employee.  They face threats from improvised blades, shanks/spikes, hypodermic needles, etc.

You could wear heavy steel ballistic plates in your vest and someone can still stab you in the eye:http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/student-stabs-man-eye-christian-7207215

More crime to report.

I got a call from Irvine P.D. today. The detective thinks my thief is a match for one that hit up another house in Irvine in December. That woman was also captured on that homeowner's security system as well. The detective wanted me to do a comparison since I'm the only one who has been face-to-face with her. Here's the flyer he sent me. There, she's driving a 7 series BMW -- I'm guessing stolen. The lady has got the same boots, same pants, and same undershirt. That's her. Go steal yo'self a new outfit, girl!

Attachments

• Irvine-PD-16-4-ATI-Pkg-Theft-Peters-Canyon-FW.PDF
    232 KB · Views: 165
Back