Internet Camera

eyephone said:
ps9 said:
Bestbuy has it for $400 for the 4 camera kit,  still kinda on the wall, what if someone snatches the camera?

If they take one camera, then your less one camera.

But according to common core, that's not a right answer! :)

Ok, I got my Arlo's, combined cashback, groupon, amex offer.. got 5 cameras for around $78 each after all the cashback settles. 

Got it from newegg.

ps9 said:
Bestbuy has it for $400 for the 4 camera kit,  still kinda on the wall, what if someone snatches the camera?

Well, if they snatch it, the camera won't be of any use to them. Each camera has a serial number which you use to register. They can't register the camera since it has already been registered. Now, as far as a burglar goes, if they wanted to wipe out the camera to prevent it from recording a crime, they would need to bring a stool or a ladder to my house. I have vaulted ceilings and the porch roof is also vaulted. My cameras are placed up high, out of reach for anyone. I doubt a ball bat would even reach -- they would just look stupid trying -- and definitely not a spray of black paint from an aerosol can. What's nice is that since they are wireless and magnetic, they are easy to move around if you decide you want to put them somewhere else after trying it for a while.

ps9 said:
Ok, I got my Arlo's, combined cashback, groupon, amex offer.. got 5 cameras for around $78 each after all the cashback settles. 

Got it from newegg.

Congrats. I hope you like it. 

peppy said:
How long does the Arlo hold a charge?

Depends on how much you tell it to record, I'm guessing 3-6 months per the reviews I saw.  The lithium cr123 batteries are pretty expensive, about $1-2 each. 

Oh wait, no charging by wire? Hmmm ... might have to rethink that.

Do you know if it has IFTTT integration?

I'm currently running a Homeboy Camera and loving it. Was looking for something less "beta" and cheaper so I can expand.

peppy said:
Oh wait, no charging by wire? Hmmm ... might have to rethink that.

Do you know if it has IFTTT integration?

I'm currently running a Homeboy Camera and loving it. Was looking for something less "beta" and cheaper so I can expand.

You can buy rechargeable cr123 batteries, but those don't come cheap either.  And of course Netgear does not recommend rechargeables.  You can setup 'rules', so if motion is detected it can shoot you an email.  I don't see any other IFTTT functions, it would be cool if it can blast your Amazon Echo, flicker lights, flush your wifi toilet.. that would scare the crap out of any potential home invader. 

The homeboy cam looks cool.  Price is a bit steep for something that is 600x400 quality.  I would get it if it is below $100.  So the cool part is that it will alert your friends when you're being robbed/home invaded?  That would be a weird facebook update. :)

www.homeboy.com

On a side note, most of my cashback has cleared... so looks like I got 5 Arlo cams for $78 each, pretty slick.

@Socal

So the delay in recording for the Arlo has been mentioned in several reviews, I'm thinking to place my Arlo below the eave of my roof pointing at my front door.  This way it will be motion triggered as people walk up and get a good shot/recording as they walk away (hopefully not without my packages!).  If I place the camera close to the front door, I'm thinking that it won't be fast enough to catch the bandit if it walks up and snatches the package, and end up with a good butt shot of the perpetrator.  What do you think?

Can't wait to get the cams, gonna put one up in the garage as well.  So I will never have to wonder/circle back to check if I closed the garage or not!

ps9 said:
I don't see any other IFTTT functions, it would be cool if it can blast your Amazon Echo, flicker lights, flush your wifi toilet..
Just please don't get a wifi bidet... or a bidet cam.

#smartbidet

Arlo 5 cam kit is one of Amazon DotD:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B014TJFC5U

Price is ok, try to stack the $15 Amex offer with 10% chase cashback, can get each cam less than $100 delivered.

Had my cams up and running past two days, not bad.  So far so good, I would recommend it.  Like a dropcam except you get free recordings.

Arlo cam is not outdoor ready.  Or maybe I didn't set up right.  Placed it under the eave and had a good shot of front door entrance area.  Motion is activated as someone walks up and will get a clear face capture when they turn around. 

It worked for the better half of the day, then around dusk the camera started to crap out.  The battery level lost 1 bar after a half day with no motion trigger?  I think it's the temp.  It gets below 50 around 2am.  Checked the cam again around 1am and still no pic.  Late morning today the cam is back online.  Maybe these cr123 lithium batteries don't work well in low temps?  But this is CA, so Arlo would be worthless outdoors anywhere with a real winter?

ps9 said:
Arlo cam is not outdoor ready.  Or maybe I didn't set up right.  Placed it under the eave and had a good shot of front door entrance area.  Motion is activated as someone walks up and will get a clear face capture when they turn around. 

It worked for the better half of the day, then around dusk the camera started to crap out.  The battery level lost 1 bar after a half day with no motion trigger?  I think it's the temp.  It gets below 50 around 2am.  Checked the cam again around 1am and still no pic.  Late morning today the cam is back online.  Maybe these cr123 lithium batteries don't work well in low temps?  But this is CA, so Arlo would be worthless outdoors anywhere with a real winter?

are you going to return it?

ps9 said:

When Arlo first came out, they did have a problem operating at cold temps. They would show low batteries way too soon. That was fixed during a software update. But this was about a year ago. Our cameras have been working fine. (We got ours after the software update.) We have not had any problems and it's the same temp here. Maybe you got a bad one.

ps9 said:
@Socal

So the delay in recording for the Arlo has been mentioned in several reviews, I'm thinking to place my Arlo below the eave of my roof pointing at my front door.  This way it will be motion triggered as people walk up and get a good shot/recording as they walk away (hopefully not without my packages!).  If I place the camera close to the front door, I'm thinking that it won't be fast enough to catch the bandit if it walks up and snatches the package, and end up with a good butt shot of the perpetrator.  What do you think?

Can't wait to get the cams, gonna put one up in the garage as well.  So I will never have to wonder/circle back to check if I closed the garage or not!

Yeah, making the field of vision bigger is good but putting a second camera at the door is even better. We have a walkway camera set up to trigger a second camera at the door.

As far as the garage door goes, no need to put one in the garage. I have my garage door included on a street view camera. Just view a live shot if you want to see if the door is closed.

Back