Internet Camera

@Socal

Good point on having 2 camera setup at the front door, one trigger the other.  I checked the firmware for cameras and base stations, they look like the latest one and I have auto update turned on.  I think it's just too close to a block of wood in the eave and the sensors get confused at nighttime (wood color is off white so it does glare).  Gonna have to move the camera again, looks like the eave is not that great a place. 

Btw, do you use rechargeable cr123a batteries?  Netgear doesn't recommend them. 

Save 15% or $26.98 when you purchase 3 or more YI Home Cameras at once. Get 3 for $152.87 (Original Price: $179.85). Use the code 3XYIHOME at checkout.

Save 15%!  Ok I'm in

Here's my review of the $60 dropcam killer/Yi camera that IHO mentioned above:

Got it a couple days ago, did the 3 pack for 15% off so around $50/camera.  Ordered Monday, got it Tuesday AM, kudos to Amazon again for almost instant gratification that no other vendor can beat and especially around holiday logistics.  Unboxing was ok, it was almost Apple/Nest quality except a bit thin in materials, but then who really cares what box it comes in right?  Setup hit a little snag, looks like you first connect to wifi thru the app in your phone.  If your phone is connected thru 5G it will not connect.  I had to change my wifi connection to 2.4g on my phone in order to connect the cam to the router.  Afterwards I can switch my phone back to 5g. 

Picture is 720p, pretty decent and provides plenty of detail especially for indoor use.  Motion detection is inconsistent so far, sometimes it triggers, sometimes it does not.  It does pick up sound pretty well, a lot of time I would get an alert and the video would show no motion except for the sound it picks up from the other room.  Getting alerts through the app is also kinda iffy.  Sometimes it triggers sometimes it does not.  App is also buggy.  It tends to quit on its own when you launch it sometimes but a quick tap and it re-launches fine. 

It stores recordings in its server.  So far no monthly charge, it will auto delete after 7 days.  Not sure, but I swear I saw someone else's recording of their home on my phone for a split second.. then it disappeared.  You can also plug a micro-sd card in each cam and store the reccording locally.  Haven't tried that yet. 

For the price of $50, you get what you paid for:  a fine camera but with a buggy app and poor motion detection.  I would recommend them still since for the same price you can get 4 cams versus 1 dropcam.  Hopefully future firmware releases will support better software stability and motion detection. 

ps9 said:
Here's my review of the $60 dropcam killer/Yi camera that IHO mentioned above:

Got it a couple days ago, did the 3 pack for 15% off so around $50/camera.  Ordered Monday, got it Tuesday AM, kudos to Amazon again for almost instant gratification that no other vendor can beat and especially around holiday logistics.  Unboxing was ok, it was almost Apple/Nest quality except a bit thin in materials, but then who really cares what box it comes in right?  Setup hit a little snag, looks like you first connect to wifi thru the app in your phone.  If your phone is connected thru 5G it will not connect.  I had to change my wifi connection to 2.4g on my phone in order to connect the cam to the router.  Afterwards I can switch my phone back to 5g. 

Picture is 720p, pretty decent and provides plenty of detail especially for indoor use.  Motion detection is inconsistent so far, sometimes it triggers, sometimes it does not.  It does pick up sound pretty well, a lot of time I would get an alert and the video would show no motion except for the sound it picks up from the other room.  Getting alerts through the app is also kinda iffy.  Sometimes it triggers sometimes it does not.  App is also buggy.  It tends to quit on its own when you launch it sometimes but a quick tap and it re-launches fine. 

It stores recordings in its server.  So far no monthly charge, it will auto delete after 7 days.  Not sure, but I swear I saw someone else's recording of their home on my phone for a split second.. then it disappeared.  You can also plug a micro-sd card in each cam and store the reccording locally.  Haven't tried that yet. 

For the price of $50, you get what you paid for:  a fine camera but with a buggy app and poor motion detection.  I would recommend them still since for the same price you can get 4 cams versus 1 dropcam.  Hopefully future firmware releases will support better software stability and motion detection.

Did you return your Arlo cams?

So you have the following internet cameras:
Foscam, Arlo, Yi
(possibly more)

Have you consider getting a hardwire surveillance system?

eyephone said:
So you have the following internet cameras:
Foscam, Arlo, Yi
(possibly more)

Have you consider getting a hardwire surveillance system?

Yeah seriously man, just get a dropcam

irvinehomeowner said:
So the Yi is not ps9-time?

For the price, it is worth it.  The video quality continues to impress, and it seems to be more consistent now with motion detection.  Maybe it just needs to warm up, haha. 

And fakepost site deems the Amazon reviews as legit, if you believe fakespot that is.

ps9 said:
@Socal

Good point on having 2 camera setup at the front door, one trigger the other.  I checked the firmware for cameras and base stations, they look like the latest one and I have auto update turned on.  I think it's just too close to a block of wood in the eave and the sensors get confused at nighttime (wood color is off white so it does glare).  Gonna have to move the camera again, looks like the eave is not that great a place. 

Btw, do you use rechargeable cr123a batteries?  Netgear doesn't recommend them. 

Sensitivity is adjustable. We have our front door camera perched high, pointing down.

Rechargeable batteries typically have a lower voltage than the non-rechargeable. So, the Arlo might think the battery runs out sooner. We use the non-rechargeables. We buy "Surefire" brand off Amazon.

Dear Lord. I am a little shaken up right now. I just INTERCEPTED an attempted package thief at my front door who was trying to snag my UPS box. I confronted her head-on. I waited for her to get close to the package then sprung the door open. I let her know I knew she was up to no good. She was stunned. She didn't really deny it and offered no other reason why she was there. After I saw her hanging around outside my house in her vehicle, acting all suspicious, looking around all paranoid, looking over her shoulder, letting her car run while she got out, I had to let her get close enough for my Arlo to capture her and then tried to engage her in conversation to wait for that delay!! It worked. I got her. Got her car, too. Unfortunately, it's too blurry to read the plate number. I just had a police offer at my house and let him view the footage. They're going to search the area. The officer says this is happening A LOT in the Irvine area. Beware.

I thank God she didn't hurt me when I confronted her in the middle of this. I was home alone with my son. She could have shot me. She looked strung out on drugs. So thankful for God's protection. Thank you, Lord. The officer says it's not enough to charge her with robbery since she didn't touch the box. I could have let her but I didn't want to let her get THAT close since it was touching my front door and I didn't want her to take my stuff either. I had to keep her a little bit at a distance, at least arm's distance for safety. Maybe I regret not letting her take it further so they can nab her. But I also didn't know what was inside the box -- often times things like electronics are delivered to me. It turned out to just be K-cups. But yes, my life is worth more than K-cups. She looked like a troubled person and I am so glad this confrontation didn't end differently. At least now they have info to go on for the next time she does this to someone else.

Back