i HATE my cox bill

WTTCMN said:
irvinehusky said:
For those of you that use Cox for Internet and dropped Cox voice and used Ooma, I assume the Internet portion went up since that's part of a bundle?  About how much of a savings do you see by doing this, including the monthly taxes for Ooma?  I know the Ooma costs extra initially but I see it for about $99 at Frys after rebates.

I've read on the Web conflicting info but is basic Ooma free unlimited forever or does it end after 1 year and is it limited hours instead of unlimited? 

Can you buy any model Ooma to get free unlimited?

Thank you very much for your help.

aquabliss said:
WTTCMN said:
Good info aqua. Did u keep cox for internet? 

Yes sorry, forgot to mention - kept Cox for internet and use OOMA for home phone.  The Cox regulatory fees and taxes for home phone kept adding up.

Researching this now and actually just ordered the Ooma from Amazon.  It's $99.99 after a $20 instant rebate and a $30 post purchase rebate.  When I plugged in my zip code into the Ooma website, it told me my taxes would be $3 something.  Looking at my Cox bill, I pay $19.99 for basic phone service and then $1.42 for telephone tax and $7.43 for telephone fees/surchages (this includes the FCC access charge).  So my total for Cox telephone is $28.84 (if I'm reading my bill correctly).  I do get a $5 bundle discount for having multiple Cox services so that will go away since I cancelled Cox cable.  So my net savings for switching from Cox to Ooma is ~$20 per month.  Not bad for someone that just needs a telephone once in a blue moon.

my only thing would be for emergencies.  Your internet might be down.. you'll need a phone line.  That's all this phone is for. 

We have the old ooma. No fees (none) for us and it rarely is off line (when the internet goes down, then yup, so does our phone. Cell works though and I don't miss having no fees for the landline.

GH said:
irvinehomeowner said:
ZeroLot said:
- I have to have a landline for safety purposes (kids + babysitter). 
[...]
Once kids get older, I'll cut the landline (although it is nice to send a fax) and Cable.
If you are using Cox for phone, it's basically the same technology as Ooma.

So if you're Internet goes out, your phone might too. So Ooma would be just as "reliable" as Cox telephone (and you can still fax over Ooma I believe).

I could be wrong but I don't think it is as simple as that.  Cox phone has a separate modem for the phone and based on experience, even if our internet is down or very slow, our phone still works fine (in fact, as far as I can remember, our Cox phone never went down -- at least not that we know of). 

Also, for what's it worth, in our old home, we have the traditional hard wired alarm system that need a phone line to work.  The alarm company would not allow any VoIP phone line but does allow Cox phone line  -- that's the original reason we had Cox phone instead of VoIP.  Right now, the only reason we still continue with Cox phone is because of the bundle (removing it would not really reduce our total bill by a lot).

So I guess if phone line reliability is important .. I would still go with Cox (at least you can always run to the Cox store if it doesn't really work and they can send a technician the next day if ever -- good luck with that on VoIP company's phone support).
The last two installations I've had, the phone modem and the internet modem are the same unit (with a battery backup... that's why you have to pull the battery to reset the DHCP routing).

And I did say "might". Although on separate channels, if cable, TV or phone go out... it *could* affect the other. It may not, but considering they are routing through the same hubs, it could.

ZL brings up a good issue about power... if the power is out, Cox phone (after the battery backup time expires) will no longer work. An AT&T landline will usually work but you will also have to have a non-powered phone to use on it. This is where a cell phone may have the advantage over a landline (so you may think about getting an emergency cell phone for your home).

We almost never use our home phone... the only reason we keep it is as a screener and the home number is the main contact number for utilities and other services. I should just switch it to Google Voice.

jmoney74 said:
WTTCMN said:
irvinehusky said:
For those of you that use Cox for Internet and dropped Cox voice and used Ooma, I assume the Internet portion went up since that's part of a bundle?  About how much of a savings do you see by doing this, including the monthly taxes for Ooma?  I know the Ooma costs extra initially but I see it for about $99 at Frys after rebates.

I've read on the Web conflicting info but is basic Ooma free unlimited forever or does it end after 1 year and is it limited hours instead of unlimited? 

aquabliss said:
WTTCMN said:

Yes sorry, forgot to mention - kept Cox for internet and use OOMA for home phone.  The Cox regulatory fees and taxes for home phone kept adding up.

Researching this now and actually just ordered the Ooma from Amazon.  It's $99.99 after a $20 instant rebate and a $30 post purchase rebate.  When I plugged in my zip code into the Ooma website, it told me my taxes would be $3 something.  Looking at my Cox bill, I pay $19.99 for basic phone service and then $1.42 for telephone tax and $7.43 for telephone fees/surchages (this includes the FCC access charge).  So my total for Cox telephone is $28.84 (if I'm reading my bill correctly).  I do get a $5 bundle discount for having multiple Cox services so that will go away since I cancelled Cox cable.  So my net savings for switching from Cox to Ooma is ~$20 per month.  Not bad for someone that just needs a telephone once in a blue moon.

my only thing would be for emergencies.  Your internet might be down.. you'll need a phone line.  That's all this phone is for.

That's what cell phones are for. 
Have not had any service interruption yet.  Although it's only been 6 mos.
Are the chances of internet going down really greater than telephone lines going down.
I'm willing to take the chance of both internet and cell service going down in order to pay only $3/mo.

O Hills said:
jmoney74 said:
WTTCMN said:
irvinehusky said:

aquabliss said:
WTTCMN said:

Are the chances of internet going down really greater than telephone lines going down.
I'm willing to take the chance of both internet and cell service going down in order to pay only $3/mo.

Ooma is a VoIP. So if your internet is down your Ooma phone is down. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Just put the whole setup (router, VoIP box, telephone base station) on a UPS. There's no difference between that and Cox telephone. Zero. A $50 UPS doesn't justify Cox's $28/month for dial tone and the caller ID gimmick on the cable box..

O Hills said:
jmoney74 said:
WTTCMN said:
irvinehusky said:

aquabliss said:
WTTCMN said:

Actually in case of emergency, your cell phone will not work.  I remember couple years ago, we had an earthquake.  The cell phone didn't work for at least 30 minutes.  I think it may related too many people are trying to call together and cell tower can't handle the volumn.

yaliu07 said:
Actually in case of emergency, your cell phone will not work.  I remember couple years ago, we had an earthquake.  The cell phone didn't work for at least 30 minutes.  I think it may related too many people are trying to call together and cell tower can't handle the volumn.
Yes... depending on what the event is.

I remember reading that it's recommended that you text since that's carried on a different subsystem.

Another plus for a cell phone since you can't text on a landline.

We don't use our landline much either.  That's why I would like to get rid of it.  I thought if there's a cheaper option like Ooma, it would be nice for certain emergencies.  I'm thinking like the situation where "I've fallen and I can't get up" kind of thing and I need the kids to call 911.  :p  It might be easier for them.  As for most of us, our cell phones are password protected.  I know you can still call 911 on the cell phone without the password but that's additional complexity that would give my kids excuses for not saving my life.  :p

Anyone send faxes (I know, old technology) through Ooma?

yaliu07 said:
O Hills said:
jmoney74 said:
WTTCMN said:
irvinehusky said:

aquabliss said:
WTTCMN said:

Right, but was cable internet down at the same time?
In an emergency that takes out power for a long time your only real option is going to be cell, unless you have a hand crank phone.

I'll use my monthly phone bill savings to stock up on zombie apocalypse neccessities: walkie talkie batteries, ammo and vodka.

irvinehusky said:
We don't use our landline much either.  That's why I would like to get rid of it.  I thought if there's a cheaper option like Ooma, it would be nice for certain emergencies.  I'm thinking like the situation where "I've fallen and I can't get up" kind of thing and I need the kids to call 911.  :p  It might be easier for them.  As for most of us, our cell phones are password protected.  I know you can still call 911 on the cell phone without the password but that's additional complexity that would give my kids excuses for not saving my life.  :p

Anyone send faxes (I know, old technology) through Ooma?

Get a wireless multi-funtion printer that prints/scans/faxes.
Then, should you ever need to threaten N. Korea, you will have the proper equipment.

Seriously though, for $3/mo, Ooma is a great option for people who primarily use cell phone and want to keep a landline just in case.

O Hills said:
Get a wireless multi-funtion printer that prints/scans/faxes.
Then, should you ever need to threaten N. Korea, you will have the proper equipment.

Seriously though, Ooma is a great option for people who primarily use cell phone and want to keep a landline just in case.

You can get online faxing accounts that let you send and receive faxes through your phone or computer for $5/mo or less. Right now I just send faxes from the office when the need arises.

There's no more classic 2 wire AT&T hard wire phone, right? I thought they converged everything under the U-Verse product?

True story. Was chatting with friends this weekend about different Internet providers such as Verizon, AT&T, Charter and I blurted out without thinking, "I love Cox!" Friends could not stop laughing and jokes at my expense continued for the rest of the night.

Who the hell names these companies?!

Back