i HATE my cox bill

WTTCMN, not sure if you have called yet to cut the cord, but I think after you call them to cut your service, they will transfer you to the retention department for sure.  Tell them you are moving to uverse or dish blah blah and how much it will save you... At that point, I think they will give you the best they can  (We came to this point the last time I bargained with them 2+ yrs ago ... We really have no plan to cut but I have all the pricing from competitors then to pretend am really serious).

Good call. 
I tried satelite and found it no better than Cox.
I cut the cord a few years back and I'll never go back.

Ooma also gives that great, I'm-avoiding-a-rip-off company feeling. 
I made that switch about six months ago and love not seeing that indecipherable AT&T bill every month. 
I pay only $3 for unlimitted domestic calling. 

I don't have cable.  I have a physical cable running from my TV to my backyard that connects to:
ANT700R_2.png

With this archaic device, I get all the basic channels in HD and a bunch of international channels.  Probably 100 channels in all in which I surf 8.  ABC 7, NBC 4, CBS 2, FOX 11, KTLA-5, channel 13, channel 9.  For everything else I use Amazon Prime and Netflix.

I tried the indoor antenna, and got poor reception.  If you go the antenna route, lead a cable from your TV room outside and figure out the best reception area so you can place it.  Indoor antenna are easy, but outdoor improves the reception by 200%.

zubs said:
I don't have cable.  I have a physical cable running from my TV to my backyard that connects to:
ANT700R_2.png

With this archaic device, I get all the basic channels in HD and a bunch of international channels.  Probably 100 channels in all in which I surf 8.  ABC 7, NBC 4, CBS 2, FOX 11, KTLA-5, channel 13, channel 9.  For everything else I use Amazon Prime and Netflix.

I tried the indoor antenna, and got poor reception.  If you go the antenna route, lead a cable from your TV room outside and figure out the best reception area so you can place it.  Indoor antenna are easy, but outdoor improves the reception by 200%.
Good option.

I'm looking at the picture you posted. How big is the poll that you attached the antenna to?

ZeroLot said:
- I have to have a landline for safety purposes (kids + babysitter). 
[...]
Once kids get older, I'll cut the landline (although it is nice to send a fax) and Cable.
If you are using Cox for phone, it's basically the same technology as Ooma.

So if you're Internet goes out, your phone might too. So Ooma would be just as "reliable" as Cox telephone (and you can still fax over Ooma I believe).

I anchored mine into the patio that extends from my house.  I get really good reception.  The uncompressed HD picture is sharp.
You really need to test out the best place to put the thing.  It doesn't need to be high.  Generally, you want a unobstructed line of sight with downtown LA as that is where the broadcasts come from.

It's really a trial and error project for antenna placement.

If you want to go the antenna route, buy a cheap indoor antenna from Best Buy.  Like this one.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/rca-indoor-hdtv-antenna-white/8939839.p;jsessionid=A9606EF9050F04587DAE8389FAA0F406.bbolsp-app03-188?id=1215217075905&skuId=8939839&st=indoor%20antenna&cp=1&lp=3

Attach it to your TV and have your TV scan for channels.
Then move it around in your indoor area to see your reception.
You'll find some good spots and bad spots, and not all channels.
If you are satisfied with this kind of reception, keep the antenna.

However, if you want better results, return this crappy antenna back to Best Buy and spend a day running cable outside to your backyard patio. 

FYI: The more expensive indoor antenna's didn't help my TV reception.

I forgot to mention, I only run 1 TV with my antenna.  I heard that if you use a Y splitter, it may degrade the signal, but I don't know about that.

You know it's funny because while writing and typing about antenna's I realize that I have a cox cable supplying my internet in which I pay $62 for 30 megabits download (30 megabit / 8 megabits per byte = 3.75 megabytes download speed) with no TV access. 

When I get home today I'm going to plug that cable into a TV and see if I get channels.  Perhaps the filter isn't installed.  If the filter isn't installed, I'm gonna put a Y connector on it.

WTTCMN said:
irvinehomeowner said:
ZeroLot said:
[...]
Once kids get older, I'll cut the landline (although it is nice to send a fax) and Cable.

So if you're Internet goes out, your phone might too. So Ooma would be just as "reliable" as Cox telephone (and you can still fax over Ooma I believe).

FAX????!!!!!!  What year is this?

Fax is still useful in some parts of the world.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...hange-faxes-threatening-to-attack-each-other/

Cox being the only reliable internet service provider in town: if they are losing too many customers in cable TV, they can easily jack up the internet service price to compensate. Broadband internet is something people cannot live without.
They are going to win no matter what.

The California Court Company said:
Cox being the only reliable internet service provider in town: if they are losing too many customers in cable TV, they can easily jack up the internet service price to compensate. Broadband internet is something people cannot live without.
They are going to win no matter what.

Does DSL Extreme compare to Cox internet or is it apples to oranges?

WTTCMN said:
irvinehomeowner said:
ZeroLot said:
[...]

FAX????!!!!!!  What year is this?

2014! LOL, I just sent a fax to my HOA right now.  :D

For those of you that use Cox for Internet and dropped Cox voice and used Ooma, I assume the Internet portion went up since that's part of a bundle?  About how much of a savings do you see by doing this, including the monthly taxes for Ooma?  I know the Ooma costs extra initially but I see it for about $99 at Frys after rebates.

I've read on the Web conflicting info but is basic Ooma free unlimited forever or does it end after 1 year and is it limited hours instead of unlimited? 

Can you buy any model Ooma to get free unlimited?

Thank you very much for your help.

aquabliss said:
WTTCMN said:
Good info aqua. Did u keep cox for internet? 

Yes sorry, forgot to mention - kept Cox for internet and use OOMA for home phone.  The Cox regulatory fees and taxes for home phone kept adding up.

Unlimited forever.  Any model.  I bought mine through Costco.  I've seen it in the warehouse (but not recently).  Online they had a bundle with a Linx for $120 but I don't see it anymore.  They were sold out for a while, then got some more and sold out within a day.  The Linx is pretty good, but the bluetooth for your cellphone is not that great... too much of a delay.

irvinehomeowner said:
ZeroLot said:
[...]

I could be wrong but I don't think it is as simple as that.  Cox phone has a separate modem for the phone and based on experience, even if our internet is down or very slow, our phone still works fine (in fact, as far as I can remember, our Cox phone never went down -- at least not that we know of). 

Also, for what's it worth, in our old home, we have the traditional hard wired alarm system that need a phone line to work.  The alarm company would not allow any VoIP phone line but does allow Cox phone line  -- that's the original reason we had Cox phone instead of VoIP.  Right now, the only reason we still continue with Cox phone is because of the bundle (removing it would not really reduce our total bill by a lot).

So I guess if phone line reliability is important .. I would still go with Cox (at least you can always run to the Cox store if it doesn't really work and they can send a technician the next day if ever -- good luck with that on VoIP company's phone support).

GH said:
irvinehomeowner said:
ZeroLot said:
[...]

I could be wrong but I don't think it is as simple as that.  Cox phone has a separate modem for the phone and based on experience, even if our internet is down or very slow, our phone still works fine (in fact, as far as I can remember, our Cox phone never went down -- at least not that we know of). 

Also, for what's it worth, in our old home, we have the traditional hard wired alarm system that need a phone line to work.  The alarm company would not allow any VoIP phone line but does allow Cox phone line  -- that's the original reason we had Cox phone instead of VoIP.  Right now, the only reason we still continue with Cox phone is because of the bundle (removing it would not really reduce our total bill by a lot).

So I guess if phone line reliability is important .. I would still go with Cox (at least you can always run to the Cox store if it doesn't really work and they can send a technician the next day if ever -- good luck with that on VoIP company's phone support).

GH is right.  Cox phone comes with a backup battery for blackouts. It should last 4 to 6 hours.  If your planning for zombies you'll have to go back to AT&T for a true land line.

Back