First Day of School Tips

Forgot laddie pencils don't fit in the electric sharpeners, they still have the sharpeners attached to the wall at school?  The ones with the adjustable holes? 

ps9 said:
Forgot laddie pencils don't fit in the electric sharpeners, they still have the sharpeners attached to the wall at school?  The ones with the adjustable holes? 
So old skool.

There is an app for that now.

:)

Here goes....

Oversized backpack check
Snack with water check
Pencils, paper, crayons, check
Tissue check
Pick kid up in 1 hr check

Repeat for 7 years check

ps9 said:
Pick kid up in 1 hr check

Repeat for 7 years check
Hopefully not. :)

One of my kids started a new school today.

They were really nervous as they have no friends there... but they are pretty good at making friend so we'll see.

Made a turkey and cheese sandwich for their lunch... we'll see what the Yelp reviews are later today.

Saw a lot of parents parting with their K and 1st graders... one parent made a frame saying 1st day in 1st grade... pretty cool as they posed and took pics in it.

Cubic Zirconia said:
First day was smooth!

I wish I had a smooth first day of school.  The kindergarten teacher blew me off twice when I tried to say hi.  Once I even raised my hand and shouted out that "I have a question", she looked at me, ignored me again and talked to another parent.

Release was chaotic all week.  Today she didn't even know where my kid was.  Adults had to walk all over campus looking for my kindergartner. 

Yesterday my kid got a nasty paper cut and needed a bandaid.  Her teacher told her "no".  My kid had to go to her after-school care facility to ask for first aid.  It was pretty bad and they had to wash it all down, apply disinfectant, and then apply a band-aid.

The last time a school was this bad I had to pull my kid out.  :(

irvinehomeowner said:
Saw a lot of parents parting with their K and 1st graders... one parent made a frame saying 1st day in 1st grade... pretty cool as they posed and took pics in it.

#15 from "Back To School: The 70s vs. Today, a lot has changed" (note the dripping sarcasm).

"Get up at four in the morning on the first day of school. Make first day of school signs for each child to hold as you photograph them on the front step. Make a bunting to hang above the front door. Blow up balloons. Actually, go ahead and make a full on back to school photo booth."

Only ate half the sandwich, said they were full.

Made them half a sandwich the next day, only ate half of that, said they didn't like it.

Today... Lunchables Nachos (no lie)... what an awesome dad I am.

I feel like I was hit by a truck. Today was our first day back to school. I don't think I've sat down since June, people! I'm beat!!! We have done everything under the sun the last few months.

Had a nice date with the mister, though. After we said our extended goodbyes at school (I put the mother in "smother"), we did a Costco date. Haha. Shopped for Christmas decor, diamonds, sectionals, and vacuum cleaners. So romantic, I know! Don't be jelly. By the way, how can it be so crowded on a weekday morning? Don't these people work?? The parking lot was PACKED! I'm talking about the one in Irvine near Living Spaces. Ran a bunch of other errands. Had lunch at one of my favorite places - Rubio's. Then time to get them. It's been a long day. Can't wait until bed time.

ZeroLot said:
Cubic Zirconia said:
First day was smooth!

I wish I had a smooth first day of school.  The kindergarten teacher blew me off twice when I tried to say hi.  Once I even raised my hand and shouted out that "I have a question", she looked at me, ignored me again and talked to another parent.

Release was chaotic all week.  Today she didn't even know where my kid was.  Adults had to walk all over campus looking for my kindergartner. 

Yesterday my kid got a nasty paper cut and needed a bandaid.  Her teacher told her "no".  My kid had to go to her after-school care facility to ask for first aid.  It was pretty bad and they had to wash it all down, apply disinfectant, and then apply a band-aid.

Sorry to hear, I would be pissed too if I was in your shoes.  Maybe arrive earlier to talk to the teacher?  Usually they're out there 10 minutes prior to the bell. 

Not being able to find your kid is inexcusable, especially kinder kids on a big campus.  How can the teacher lose a child? 

As for the paper cut, this needs to be talked over with the teacher.  I can't believe an adult looking over kids will refuse first aid.  It doesn't make sense. 

Don't envy you, again, tread carefully.  Spend all this time and money to move/live in Irvine and get screwed over by a sucky teacher.  Hopefully this will all be a big misunderstanding.  Good luck. 

that was pretty good. ive always wondered what moms do all day when the kids are in school. now i know :)

ps9 said:
Sorry to hear, I would be pissed too if I was in your shoes.  Maybe arrive earlier to talk to the teacher?  Usually they're out there 10 minutes prior to the bell. 

Not being able to find your kid is inexcusable, especially kinder kids on a big campus.  How can the teacher lose a child? 

As for the paper cut, this needs to be talked over with the teacher.  I can't believe an adult looking over kids will refuse first aid.  It doesn't make sense. 

Don't envy you, again, tread carefully.  Spend all this time and money to move/live in Irvine and get screwed over by a sucky teacher.  Hopefully this will all be a big misunderstanding.  Good luck.

Thanks for understanding ps9.  I do agree about the treading carefully part.  I'm beginning to see a pattern that there is a lot of favoritism for certain "type" of students and parents in Irvine. 

I remember when I was interviewing an Irvine preschool that the administrators literally said, "wish there weren't so many Asians coming here".  They said that blatantly with Asian parents standing around.

When I was standing in line on the first day of school, non-Asian parents made a comment to each other and said, "this is such a culture shock for us, I didn't know there were so many of them living here."  "Yeah I agree, this is a culture shock for us too".  I turned around stared at them and they quickly changed the subject to the weather.

I'm not saying that the elementary school staff has that sentiment but if some parents are feeling that way ... It's only natural for some staff who don't live in Irvine to feel the same.

Either way, spoke to the principal, who is very responsive and cool said she is taking care of the situation.  Turns out my kindergartner wasn't the only one that got lost this week.  So they are taking additional measures to make sure this doesn't happen again.  As for the bandaid, I think my kid will now get all the band aids she wants for a long time.

Is your Kindergartner's class in an inside area?  If so, although inexcusable, I could see a few of them getting lost walking through the hallways unless there are precautions taken.  I remember our school made the little ones hold hands through the hallways, etc.  I'm so used to seeing our kids' rooms on the outside edge and they just open up that door and they all come out from there so no one theoretically could be lost.  Last year, our son's teacher (2nd grade and there were others like her) wouldn't release the kid unless she saw the parent waiting outside.  Now, that was a pain if you got there a little late since they would send the kid to the front office.  They wouldn't allow our girls to pick him up.  Our girls are a few years older so we instruct them to all wait together if any of us show up late.  So, although that extra security was somewhat nice, I'm glad we don't have to deal with that this year. 

As far as the chatting with the teacher goes, I've never been one of those people that can do small talk very well so I don't try to talk with the teachers.  I do admire those parents that just walk up to the teachers and can BS a long time.  For me, the conferences are enough and during those times, I've found all the teachers to be quite nice although when they're busy, they may not always look cordial.
If I have a question, I usually e-mail them and for the few times I did that, I always received a satisfactory response.  Wish we were able to get a hold of teachers via e-mail in our stone age days.  Not that I would have wanted to get a hold of them.  :p Until this year, my wife volunteered at all of my kids classes so that was an  additional way to get to know the teachers and for them to know our kids better.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like we will do that this year.

I don't understand why your child wasn't allowed to go get first aid so that one is a little troubling.

But hope your situation gets better and I'm sure it will.

ZeroLot said:

irvinehomeshopper said:
Just paid the school $33,000 for the first semester and school will start in 1-1/2 week. The days of buying school supplies are gone. Cherish your moments while you still can.

Wow!  What school is that?!  Harvard?!

I'm a father of two kids 3 and 5 yrs old.  My oldest one has been in Montessori since 2 so I think he was up for anything (new school, new home, new friends, etc).  I told my son that school is going to be so FUN!  When I went to pick him up the first day he asked me, "I thought you said school was going to be fun?!".  Apparently, he was not impressed.  Throughout the first week though it got better.

Cypress Village ES: So much construction going on and a ton of parents that drive to drop off their kids.  It's semi-chaos.  I saw a parent getting a ticket for parking illegally.  Then a few minutes later I saw another parent getting a ticket for parking next to the fire hydrant.  Either they were new immigrants or new to Irvine.  I guess you have to learn the hard way.  Once all the construction is complete it should be more of a peaceful experience.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Time conflict no problem. Let me introduce an innovative solution that few of you knew about or even remotely comprehend. Have the older kid WALK to school.

I wanted my kids to walk to school. We lived close enough and they don't get enough exercise as it is. They somehow managed to get their friend's parent to feel sorry for them and come and get them and bring them home every day. Of course I bet they thought I was lazy and my kids thought I was absolutely horrible for "making" them walk.

Tarmacpro said:
Cypress Village ES: So much construction going on and a ton of parents that drive to drop off their kids.  It's semi-chaos.  I saw a parent getting a ticket for parking illegally.  Then a few minutes later I saw another parent getting a ticket for parking next to the fire hydrant.  Either they were new immigrants or new to Irvine.  I guess you have to learn the hard way.  Once all the construction is complete it should be more of a peaceful experience.

Where were these traffic cops when people were running STOP SIGNS in CV?!!!  :mad:

Guess giving out parking tickets during times of chaos is more important.

Ready2Downsize said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
Time conflict no problem. Let me introduce an innovative solution that few of you knew about or even remotely comprehend. Have the older kid WALK to school.

I wanted my kids to walk to school. We lived close enough and they don't get enough exercise as it is. They somehow managed to get their friend's parent to feel sorry for them and come and get them and bring them home every day. Of course I bet they thought I was lazy and my kids thought I was absolutely horrible for "making" them walk.

Your kids are goooood.  My kid never walked until 1st day of kindergarten. She was excited at first until we ran into sprinklers turning on and construction on the sidewalk.  That's when she glared and me and said "this isn't walking, this is dangerous." 

But by the end of the week she loved it because she got to see older kids on bikes, razors, and skateboards going to JTMS.  Now she wants one of those cool kid vehicles to go to school.

It's all about accessories and PR.  Maybe even Wheelie shoes.  Whatever gets them outside and breathing fresh air.

Back